Campbell Ewald

Updated November 18, 2014
2.7

Campbell Ewald Chief Executive Officer Jim Palmer
Jim Palmer

Pros
  • You get to work with some really great people who are capable of great things (in 8 reviews)

• Ok salary, great place to meet people you'll see later at another company (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely long hours (nights/weekends are common) (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay grade (based on my contract salary, they would have hired me for at least - (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Some benefits but pay is horrible

Current Employee - Digital Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Digital Analyst in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Campbell Ewald full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture is good - Lots of fun people
    Beautiful environment - New office space is really cool
    Great Work Life Balance - Flexible Work Hours/Ability to work from home

Cons

Pay is horrible
    Pay is horrible
    And the great culture that once existed is beginning to change for the worse because so many wonderful people are leaving for BETTER PAY!!!

You want to know why the turnover rate is so high? Well... Other agencies are offering up to 30% more (and sometimes more than that!) than CE. Pay more and people will be happy.

Low pay

I have been working at Campbell Ewald full-time

Pros

Most of the people I work with are pretty cool and the agency is beautiful. Benefits are pretty good. They try to make it a nice place to work with snacks and events. You get almost two weeks off around Christmas.

Cons

Pay is lousy, leadership is questionable and they badly need to vamp up their new business department if they want to stay alive. Currently LCE has Cadillac but that won't last forever. Be ready to work extra hours without pay. Due to the fact that LCE is now in Detroit, you have to deal with the traffic and taxes. While I did say that the agency was beautiful as a pro, I would prefer to be in boring Warren. They owned that building but now they rent to Ford Field.

Get someone brilliant/imaginative in your new business department and give everyone a raise.

A diverse workforce with a rich history and a great Media Team

Current Employee - Supervisor Digital Media in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Supervisor Digital Media in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Campbell Ewald full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Diversified Accounts
    Fun atmosphere
    Reasonable Hours (Media)
    Great flexibility

Cons

Small Accounts (and dwindling)
    Feels like whats good for LCE isnt always good for Detroit. That is ok, but its not communicated well.

NA

Account Coordinator

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Detroit, MI

I worked at Campbell Ewald full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Laid-back atmosphere; creative workspace; free food sometimes.

Cons

Dog-eat-dog company. You're enticed in by the gorgeous office space, and its location; however, you don't become aware (until it's too late) just how much turnover there is. There are seemingly monthly reviews and although they promise the likelihood of "moving up" and "promoting from within" the entire company is one huge high school clique. HR is atrocious and when I say atrocious, I mean, how the company hasn't been under review for the lack of professionalism and favoritism baffles me.

Pay more attention! Your employees are over-worked and grossly underpaid. Your HR department is an utter insult and concerns fall on deaf ears.

Fun, Fast-paced, and lots of changes

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Campbell Ewald full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the people I work with; they generally have a good attitude and it's a fun environment. The new office is gorgeous. I believe that the company's values and goals are positive and we're moving in the right direction.

Cons

Personal growth is difficult, and there seems to be a wide communication gap between people who can affect change and people who can't. Those in higher places don't seem to genuinely want to nurture new employees or reward any kind of loyalty to the company, and those who do want to support individuals cannot really affect their growth by virtue of hierarchy.

Listen to your employees and take them seriously, especially the younger/newer ones. We want to be here and we want want to be valued as more than just a body.

Overall good experience

I worked at Campbell Ewald

Pros

Worked on a large range of accounts across different verticals. They are willing to teach new skill sets. People were great at the company to work for.

Cons

They are slow to promote people. The systems that are in place are very old school. There is not a lot of communication across teams (outside of the group you are in).

Great experience

Current Employee - Grad Associate in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Grad Associate in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Campbell Ewald as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The building is awesome and you can't beat the location. The grad associate programs is very hands on - no getting coffee or making copies.

Cons

No glaring problems. Have heard that entry salaries are low but don't know what to compare them to.

Keep up the good work - the grad associate program is a very valuable learning experience.

Overworked, underpaid, but had a lot of fun.

I worked at Campbell Ewald

Pros

They throw lots of great employee events/activities, to probably boost morale.
    heard their new office is cool

Cons

way too many layers of people who really have no power.
    management not involved in day-to-day to know what is really going on
    a very archaic process, things can be streamlined so much better

Disappointment

Former Employee - Grad Associate in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Grad Associate in Detroit, MI

I worked at Campbell Ewald as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

HR could give to cares less about workers
    Cut and hire people on a whim
    Lowest pay in the industry
    Expected long hours with no overtime

I don't know what could save this place, good luck!

Only worthwhile for jr level talent looking to gain some experience

Former Employee - Account Planner in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Account Planner in Detroit, MI

I worked at Campbell Ewald full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Access to some respectable client brands across multiple offices and the Lowe network to rapidly gain experience early in your career. Soak up as much as you can in a year (because you'll be underpaid) and then use that to move on to a new agency with a substantially bigger paycheck and increased job satisfaction. It's a terrific proving ground for people just getting started as long as you're under no illusion that it's going to be a long term permanent home. The senior folks at the agency are completely out of touch with reality.

Benefits are standard, PTO as well. Nothing exceptional to note.

Cons

Toxic culture. Weak, at best, prospects for future growth. Worst of all, an incredibly insecure and incompetent management team that constantly waffles on decisions. They have been relegated to Lowe's North American office(s) with no ability to control their own destiny. Herd mentality reigns supreme here. Seek an alternative agency.

Advice to Interpublic rather than LCE Management. Find a new management team. This current team lacks vision, business strategy and acts more like a dysfunctional group of high school besties than a professional management team willing to make tough decisions to run a sound business. They are running the company into the ground.