Campbell Ewald

Updated October 8, 2014
2.7

Campbell Ewald Chief Executive Officer Jim Palmer
Jim Palmer

Pros
  • You get to work with some really great people who are capable of great things (in 8 reviews)

• Ok salary, great place to meet people you'll see later at another company (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely long hours (nights/weekends are common) (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay grade (based on my contract salary, they would have hired me for at least - (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

A diverse workforce with a rich history and a great Media Team

Current Employee - Supervisor Digital Media in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Supervisor Digital Media in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Campbell Ewald full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Diversified Accounts
    Fun atmosphere
    Reasonable Hours (Media)
    Great flexibility

Cons

Small Accounts (and dwindling)
    Feels like whats good for LCE isnt always good for Detroit. That is ok, but its not communicated well.

NA

Fun, Fast-paced, and lots of changes

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Campbell Ewald full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the people I work with; they generally have a good attitude and it's a fun environment. The new office is gorgeous. I believe that the company's values and goals are positive and we're moving in the right direction.

Cons

Personal growth is difficult, and there seems to be a wide communication gap between people who can affect change and people who can't. Those in higher places don't seem to genuinely want to nurture new employees or reward any kind of loyalty to the company, and those who do want to support individuals cannot really affect their growth by virtue of hierarchy.

Listen to your employees and take them seriously, especially the younger/newer ones. We want to be here and we want want to be valued as more than just a body.

Overall good experience

I worked at Campbell Ewald

Pros

Worked on a large range of accounts across different verticals. They are willing to teach new skill sets. People were great at the company to work for.

Cons

They are slow to promote people. The systems that are in place are very old school. There is not a lot of communication across teams (outside of the group you are in).

Great experience

Current Employee - Grad Associate in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Grad Associate in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Campbell Ewald as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The building is awesome and you can't beat the location. The grad associate programs is very hands on - no getting coffee or making copies.

Cons

No glaring problems. Have heard that entry salaries are low but don't know what to compare them to.

Keep up the good work - the grad associate program is a very valuable learning experience.

Overworked, underpaid, but had a lot of fun.

I worked at Campbell Ewald

Pros

They throw lots of great employee events/activities, to probably boost morale.
    heard their new office is cool

Cons

way too many layers of people who really have no power.
    management not involved in day-to-day to know what is really going on
    a very archaic process, things can be streamlined so much better

Disappointment

Former Employee - Grad Associate in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Grad Associate in Detroit, MI

I worked at Campbell Ewald as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

HR could give to cares less about workers
    Cut and hire people on a whim
    Lowest pay in the industry
    Expected long hours with no overtime

I don't know what could save this place, good luck!

Only worthwhile for jr level talent looking to gain some experience

Former Employee - Account Planner in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Account Planner in Detroit, MI

I worked at Campbell Ewald full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Access to some respectable client brands across multiple offices and the Lowe network to rapidly gain experience early in your career. Soak up as much as you can in a year (because you'll be underpaid) and then use that to move on to a new agency with a substantially bigger paycheck and increased job satisfaction. It's a terrific proving ground for people just getting started as long as you're under no illusion that it's going to be a long term permanent home. The senior folks at the agency are completely out of touch with reality.

Benefits are standard, PTO as well. Nothing exceptional to note.

Cons

Toxic culture. Weak, at best, prospects for future growth. Worst of all, an incredibly insecure and incompetent management team that constantly waffles on decisions. They have been relegated to Lowe's North American office(s) with no ability to control their own destiny. Herd mentality reigns supreme here. Seek an alternative agency.

Advice to Interpublic rather than LCE Management. Find a new management team. This current team lacks vision, business strategy and acts more like a dysfunctional group of high school besties than a professional management team willing to make tough decisions to run a sound business. They are running the company into the ground.

Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Campbell Ewald full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work space, a lot of good people here. Of course, not everyone shares my enthusiasm, but thats to be expected. Vacation time is good and they are flexible with work hours as long as your TCB.

Cons

People really like to complain about EVERYTHING here; free food and happy hours are often complained about by the "older generation" of employees. Training could be better, people will help you with things but they just end up doing it for you without really getting a chance to learn some of the time.

Jim Palmer is a great CEO, he communicates with the agency well and is genuine with everyone he talks to. some of the mid level management is the big problem though, they don't communicate well and will use us lower level employees to advance their own careers without helping the ones who help them. I mean, I get it, but a raise or a merit bonus every now and then would go a long way. I think thats why everyone leaves this place.

Great company bogged down by politics

Former Employee - Management Supervisor in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Management Supervisor in Detroit, MI

I worked at Campbell Ewald full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, a ton of time off (if you can use it), and a few really smart people who do 90% of the great work. Generally don't micro manage. You are treated like a professional and expected to manage your own workflow.

Cons

They are severely understaffed across the board meaning, unless you work on Cadillac or Navy, meeting client expectations (time and quality) can be a challenge. Senior management is completely intolerant of any challenges and will not help you. Bringing them an issue is indicative of your failure. Generally pretty long hours; nights and weekends are more the norm than the exception.

Give people the tools and resources to succeed. If you set your staff up for failure and they fail whose fault is it? Take a look at your employees and invest in enhancing their skills. By demonstrating your commitment to improving employees on the individual level you will have a better, more loyal staff.

A noticeable difference.

Current Employee - Creative in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Creative in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Campbell Ewald full-time

Pros

In the last year, there has been noticeable changes for the better. A leadership change that is making things happen. A global partnership. A new office. Organizational changes that make complete sense. A relationship with local startups. There's still a lot to be done, but good things are in the works.

Cons

People deal with change differently, and don't always understand why changes are being made. So there's a lot of unnecessary worry. Just embrace the change and things will work out.

Every hire is very critical right now. Don't settle. Hire the right people for the right reasons.