Campbell Ewald

Be The First To
Add Photos

Campbell Ewald Chief Executive Officer Jim Palmer

Jim Palmer

Pros
  • You get to work with some really great people who are capable of great things(in 7 reviews)

• Ok salary, great place to meet people you'll see later at another company(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely long hours (nights/weekends are common)(in 5 reviews)

• Low pay grade (based on my contract salary, they would have hired me for at least -(in 5 reviews)

Account Executive

Account Executive (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGreat work space, a lot of good people here. Of course, not everyone shares my enthusiasm, but thats to be expected. Vacation time is good and they are flexible with work hours as long as your TCB.

ConsPeople really like to complain about EVERYTHING here; free food and happy hours are often complained about by the "older generation" of employees. Training could be better, people will help you with things but they just end up doing it for you without really getting a chance to learn some of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementJim Palmer is a great CEO, he communicates with the agency well and is genuine with everyone he talks to. some of the mid level management is the big problem though, they don't communicate well and will use us lower level employees to advance their own careers without helping the ones who help them. I mean, I get it, but a raise or a merit bonus every now and then would go a long way. I think thats why everyone leaves this place.

Great company bogged down by politics

Management Supervisor (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGreat benefits, a ton of time off (if you can use it), and a few really smart people who do 90% of the great work. Generally don't micro manage. You are treated like a professional and expected to manage your own workflow.

ConsThey are severely understaffed across the board meaning, unless you work on Cadillac or Navy, meeting client expectations (time and quality) can be a challenge. Senior management is completely intolerant of any challenges and will not help you. Bringing them an issue is indicative of your failure. Generally pretty long hours; nights and weekends are more the norm than the exception.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people the tools and resources to succeed. If you set your staff up for failure and they fail whose fault is it? Take a look at your employees and invest in enhancing their skills. By demonstrating your commitment to improving employees on the individual level you will have a better, more loyal staff.

A noticeable difference.

Creative (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsIn the last year, there has been noticeable changes for the better. A leadership change that is making things happen. A global partnership. A new office. Organizational changes that make complete sense. A relationship with local startups. There's still a lot to be done, but good things are in the works.

ConsPeople deal with change differently, and don't always understand why changes are being made. So there's a lot of unnecessary worry. Just embrace the change and things will work out.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery hire is very critical right now. Don't settle. Hire the right people for the right reasons.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrid Caricature of Modern Employment

(Former Employee)

ProsYou get to work in an environment that's half unfinished basement and half sewer, all within the murder capital of the USA, Detroit! So it's kind of like being a ninja turtle of advertising! And of course, there are more than a few "rats" roaming the halls. How cool is that?

ConsThe management of the company is a joke. From what I can gather, it's never been great (or at least hasn't been great in 50+ years) but it's really, really bad post Detroit move. At the macro level, there's no strategic planning or long term insight of any kind. On the micro level, there's no real project management. Projects are run like old school Waterfall but instead of a few steps in the process, it's just one big drop into failure.

The creative group puts out some of the worst, most derivative, most predictable tripe the ad world has ever known. They're now publicly faking a startup incubator, trying to get in on the marketing action with hot Detroit startups who don't matter at all.

The digital people are a bunch of poor kids who don't want to work fast food but can't get real development jobs.

It's located in Detroit and not a great part of Detroit. Oh and you get to pay a 3% city tax for the glory of working for LCE in Detroit.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit.

I learned a lot while at Campbell Ewald but was faced with numerous challenges and obstacles that were not all necessary

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCool culture, amazing office, great talented people, creative people.

ConsPolitics, lots of negativity, flexibility was taken away, salaries are not competitive

Good culture, lower pay scale.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood culture, flexible working hours, friendly staff.

ConsOverall my only con was how cliquey individual teams would be.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't try to hold such a tight ship. Also, be professional with your coworker relations.

We only hire charismatic idiots. Think Titanic, but with more than one iceberg. AND CLOWNS.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsI got an iPad mini one time for a christmas bonus. Then I sold it, so that was cool. There are a few shining gems in the agency, but the brightness of these people is muted by the corruption and self serving motives of the agency that harbors them. If you have the fortitude to suffer through a few years, at least you will have professional experience that you can add on your resume when you start searching for an actual career.

ConsThere is not enough space in this area to begin with the cons of working at this agency. LCE has the heinous assumption that they will win some legendary multi million dollar RFP with some campaign idea that offers no more depth than a 3-month lifespan.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease leave. You have no appreciation for the 'do-ers' of your agency. With the increase in cost for the exciting new space, it is imperative that LCE get more revenue and I don't see this happening with the cheapened quality of work produced by the agency. Abandon ship.

Senior Copywriter

Senior CopyWriter (Former Employee) Warren, MI

ProsI like the people. Benefits are not bad. Good vacation days.

ConsI don't like the management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive raises. Show some appreciation for the people who work for you. Let people work from home and have flexible schedules.

Working on momentum

Account Director (Former Employee) Warren, MI

ProsThere is a hopefulness of many employees and a hunger to do things and do them the right way. Pockets of great people who are talented and productive are sprinkled throughout the organization.

ConsThe leadership. It's all sheer force of will in a highly political and narcissistic environment. Self- promotion is name of the game for the glory grabbers who understand how the culture works. The typical approach is to over promise on deliverables and there are no established systems throughout the agency, each group makes ad hoc approaches without consistent standards. Leadership is very parenthetical and will do a better job of critcizing afterwards than helping to guide beforehand. Lastly, clients are poorly trained, they basically learn they can cry and whine and management is inconsistent with how to handle it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart by focusing on developing careers. The perks are nice, the office is cool and all but you have to create paths for people and not let a few egomaniacs grab power and have suck ups that latch on. There's a lot of potential but it's being wasted. Frustration is key

Some great people in a heartless mindless company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to work with some really great people who are capable of great things.

ConsYour Managers are generally egotistical and only want an opinion that supports theirs. This results in the same mindless ads they have been phoning in for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementThings are looking better with recent changes. Grow your own employees from within. A little extra pay and appreciation will go a long way to employee retention.

Worked for Campbell Ewald? Contribute to the Community!