Campbell Soup Company Reviews

Reset
3.3
Campbell Soup Company President and CEO Denise Morrison
Denise Morrison

Pros
  • Family oriented w/ the work life balance that comes along with it (in 23 reviews)

• Great people who take pride in doing good work (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • formal training can be hard to come by (in 3 reviews)

• Work/life balance can be a challenge because cutbacks over the last several years have required everyone to do more with less (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Spoiled working here!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Camden, NJ
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Camden, NJ

I have been working at Campbell Soup Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for growth. A lot of positive change happening, and the company is headed in a very positive direction.

Cons

Took a little while to initially climb the ladder

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing :)

Reality is quite shameful despite well-orchestrated "outward" messages

Current Employee - Information Technology Management in Camden, NJ
    Current Employee - Information Technology Management in Camden, NJ

Pros

Most of the people in middle management and staff roles are outstanding resources and genuine people. Working for an icon brand looks good on a resume, but, as others have mentioned, the price is quite high.

Cons

Senior leadership is either completely out of touch with what really happens within working groups or they simply don't care. Expressing opinions, even when accurate and well-founded, will land you with a negative label. If you want to work here, it's best not to have an opinion and not to expect to be valued, despite the company's "Valuing People" campaign.

Advice to Management

Please wake up. Your employee satisfaction scores are not reliable because employees fear offering real opinions. With so many good products and an outstanding brand reputation, you'd do well to focus for awhile and what's really going on with the workforce. Many people are seriously unhappy but feel trapped into staying.

Gallup is a joke & they promote incompetent and abusive bosses

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ

Pros

The pay is excellent. There is now free soup on Fridays. Most employees really seem to be proud of the work they do and the food we make. Doug Conant is a great leader.

Cons

Most managers care only about getting Gallup scores up. It's impossible, not everything can be a "5" and employees are pushed with extra work in the form of Gallup teams to get scores up .2. The manager in our small department we liken to an abusive relationship. Nothing is good enough, but when she needs something or the rest of the company is watching, she has nothing but good things to say about us. I'm tire of the fakeness and hypocracy.

Advice to Management

Hire from the outside more. Get your technology up to speed. Scrap Gallup - it's a joke. Most people give 5 just to get their managers off their backs. There are fundamental reasons why I can't do my best work every day, and a Gallup committee of 3 assistants aren't going to be able to change that.

Lacking true leadership. To political and not forthright, always looking to point fingers when things goes wrong.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Plainfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Plainfield, NJ

Pros

Have some really knowledgeable people who hands are tied.

Cons

Lack of true leadership or support. No trust for the leadership.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the leadership who is taking the operation down for both plants.

More concerned with being politically correct than getting results

Current Employee - Vice President in Camden, NJ
    Current Employee - Vice President in Camden, NJ

I have been working at Campbell Soup Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The soup sells itself but despite that Progresso and Private Label have taken over as the leaders of the soup world and Campbell Soup is merely a commodity now

Cons

Campbell Soup is a PR nightmare. The Human Resources department is more concerned with looking politically correct than getting any results. This has lead to incompetent persons heading up most departments including the CEO who was given the role because she is a woman. She had screwed up major company installation attempts with SAP software and yet because she talked the talk and had the look was promoted. The HR department is very involved in reviewing executives when they have no idea what the skill set is that is needed in the role. They are more concerned with having people who look the right way (but God forbid if you are overweight in this company or a bit alternative, you will go NOWHERE fast. If you are someone thinking of leaving your high flying early career to come to Campbell Soup my advice is a strong DON'T. Campbell Soup can never develop talent from within and the furthest you will go is a boring middle management job where you will constantly watch your back. Layoffs happen every six months and usually start with those are can not fit the cookie cutter boring approach. The stock is doomed as weill be your career.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone in Human Resources right now. Bring in Business Persons to run the company. Develop people from within. Get my stock options out from being underwater the past ten years you pathetic slugs.

SCARED TO GO TO WORK IN CHERRY HILL!

Current Employee - Customer Service Analyst in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Analyst in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Campbell Soup Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My fellow workers and the benefits.

Cons

It’s to the point where I am afraid to come to work. I think it’s just a matter of time before somebody goes postal. The management – especially in Cherry Hill – is so unbelievably unfair and unreasonable that you just can’t win. A blind man can see what’s going on yet nothing changes. Good people have left the organization, voiced their reasons during their exit interviews and nobody does anything to make things better for those of us who are stuck here. Great employees are getting bad reviews – and the reasons are ridiculous. Some people aren’t even given reasons why they get bad reviews. “You said something that somebody didn’t like but I can’t tell you what it was.” One comment negates an entire year of blood, sweat and tears – not to mention completely wipes away any self-esteem we have left. I used to love my job but now I hate coming to work every day. No matter what I do, it’s never enough. We are all felt to feel completely worthless. I wish I could get another job but, without a degree, I know I can’t. So they just keep beating us down and making us feel horrible. My customers like me, my sales people like me, my colleagues like me – but I keep getting bad reviews. And for stupid reasons. I come in early, stay late and work through lunch but it doesn't matter. It never used to be like this.

Relationship matters more than expertise

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Iconic brands.

Cons

Extremely political, very focused on who you know...no expertise required

Advice to Management

Try to be more inclusive of different ideas, styles. Attempt to elevate the talent by hiring people who actually know what they are doing. Don't make success a moving target...learn to set, communicate and maintain appropriate expectations. Seek to understand the cultural biases that inhibit the success of people who do not fit the Campbell mode and treat EVERYONE respectfully and fair.

Brace yourself for a roller coaster

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ

I worked at Campbell Soup Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and balance, work hours

Cons

Constant re-orgs, they don't give time for you to even see what transpired of the last one. Constant politics, nepotism runs deep. Top management has no clue who actually does the work. They promote based on who they like not who does the hard work.

Advice to Management

Be transparent with the employees instead of trying to hide what is coming

Worst year of my 17 year career

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Camden, NJ
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Camden, NJ

I worked at Campbell Soup Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Brand recognition and household penetration

Cons

Meeting-centric culture that values face-time over actually getting work done; absolutely NO flexibility to work remotely and work/personal balance. Culture is extremely toxic... kind of like Game of Thrones set in a corporate environment. The former president of the sales company was a tyrant, and was known as the biggest bully in the company, yet he was rewarded for 11 years. Old-school manage-by-fear style that was emulated by many others. Back-stabbing and passive-aggressive behavior permeate all levels of the company.

Advice to Management

Stop tolerating poor leadership behaviors from your leaders and employees; take a look at your turnover (particularly in HR) and figure out why so many of your talent is leaving. During exit interview, I was told that HR had lost 19 HR professionals in less than a year.

Don'tWprst Place to Work EVER!!!

I worked at Campbell Soup Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, people you work with

Cons

Not enough room to write them all down. I would love to know where all these good review writers work. This is the worst company ever. They treat the employees horribly. If you're not young, they won't even consider you for a job. It's like working in a third world country. They condone bullying and discrimination.

Advice to Management

Visit Cherry Hill, Denise Morrison - you're not better than us.

RSS Feed </> Embed