Campbell Soup

Campbell Soup Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2014

Campbell Soup President and CEO Denise Morrison

Denise Morrison

Pros:
  • "One can achieve a fairly good work/life balance in most departments"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Great people who take pride in doing good work"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance can be a challenge because cutbacks over the last several years have required everyone to do more with less"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Senior management relies too much on middle management and have caused many failures in business projects"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Campbell Proud!!

Camden, NJ

ProsThe senior leadership of Campbell soup is outstanding. Doug Connant is a great leader before he is a great CEO. The culture of integrity and "Winning in the workplace" that has been created under the current leadership is palpable at all employee levels. Since 2001 Campbell Soup has fought hard to do right by its products, its people and its community. It is a wonderful feeling and a daily source of motivation to be proud of the company you work for.

This is a great place to work!

Cons1. As with other organizations, some middle management at Campbell Soup apply a narrow focus to problem solving. We need holistic approaches to problem solving in order to innovate.

2. When I read the documentation for the review/evaluation process it is easy to tell how it fits into the culture of the Company. However, the annual and mid-term review process often feels like a bloated and cumbersome process. At best, it is difficult to apply to daily or even weekly activities.

3. Gallup survey: Some items in the survey such as "In the last seven days, I have received recognition or praise for doing good work" has a tendency to created phony or empty gestures from superiors. In addition, attempts at improving Gallup scores seem to be approached by simple mechanical processes that are applied to any group that has at least 5 supervised employees. From my perspective, some low scores are a result of variables from outside these smaller groups and can not be remedied at the lower levels

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to the priciples of sustainable growth.

Mm! Mm! Good!

Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Camden, NJ

ProsTheir Value & Commitment to the employees, consumers and the community. Compensation is fair and consistent with the market. Facilities in Camden are safe and, soon to be, easily accessible. Cafeteria offers different varieties of healthy alternatives on a daily basis. On Site gym & daycare. Flexible working conditions and hours. Offer Summer Hours to their World Headquarters employees. Green initiative started and growing. Independent Gallup Survey conducted on a yearly basis by the employees.

ConsSeniority & years of service do not guarantee you your job (however your ability to grow does). Daycare is not competitively discounted for the employees.

Advice to Senior Management"I don't try to jump over 7-foot hurdles: I look for 1-foot hurdles that I can step over." - Warren Buffett

The best place to work in America

Norwalk, CT

ProsCompany cares about its employees and treats/values them as assets to the company. Rewards the hard workers. Not a place for slackers or someone who just wants to make a living and not passionate about the work.

ConsLocation may not be ideal

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course. Employees feel good about Management and it shows in company performance.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great training

Director (Current Employee)
    Norwalk, CT

ProsGreat company for training and building your career when starting out. Gain valuable experience from a top notch CPG company. From a sales perspective, the insights and resources available far exceed other food companies.

ConsSenior management needs to focus on culture and engagement to drive retention.

Family-based company with a many good qualities.

Intern (Former Employee)
    Camden, NJ

ProsBenefits are usually very good, they allow for an open environment to work and discuss with your coworkers and the culture is generally very friendly. Also, there is quite a bit a diversity in age groups and gender.

ConsThere is not much racial diversity among the employees and sometimes the upper management is too personal. Although you will enjoy how personal they are, sometimes they call for meetings that could have easily been conducted over the phone or through email, making work less efficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind more efficient ways to communicate needs to other employees.

My experience was very positive

Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee)
    Camden, NJ

ProsThe people and a cultural

ConsAt times, the politics were overbearing

Advice to Senior ManagementAuthentically connect with your people the way Doug Conant did...

Good company to work for because people there are hard workers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople in the organization are dedicated to their roles and accomplishing their assignments. As a contractor, I saw a level of dedication unprecedented elsewhere. Great work-life balance program as work from home and taking care of self is encouraged. Supportive during times of personal need.

ConsAs the company makes adjustments to meet changing business landscapes it has meant more work with fewer resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider modifying work load to match resource availability to reduce risk of burn out and stress.

Overall Minimal Complaints

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Great team of people: very intelligent, great pedigree
     - Had the opportunity to learn and grow
     - Worked very hard and was rewarded with recognition and promotions

Cons- Meeting culture: Expect to be booked from morning till evening. I brought work home with me and worked very long hours outside of the office
     - Lack of decision making: They are trying to change this, but this is a cultural issue and will take time
     - Reorganizations annually, if not more.... difficult to get traction

Advice to Senior ManagementSet the course and stay on it. Whether it be DAI, Engagement, whatever the new process or policy or innovation.... stick to something and see if it actually works.

worked 3 seasons in 3 different departments

Seasonal (Former Employee)
    Napoleon, OH

Prosi think the team work and management skills are awesome! i loved being part of the campbells team1

Consi wish they would assign you to a department and call you back to that dept. working other depts. every season doesnt allow you to excel at being good!

Advice to Senior Managementno comment

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCaring bosses who really take the time to get to know you

ConsLong Hours and I felt like they didn't compensate me enough

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter management system and compensation

Worked for Campbell Soup? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Campbell Soup reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Campbell Soup CEO Denise Morrison. All 137 reviews posted anonymously by Campbell Soup employees.