Campbell Soup

Campbell Soup Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Campbell Soup President and CEO Denise Morrison

Denise Morrison

Pros:
  • "One can achieve a fairly good work/life balance in most departments"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Great people who take pride in doing good work"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance can be a challenge because cutbacks over the last several years have required everyone to do more with less"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Senior management relies too much on middle management and have caused many failures in business projects"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

SCARED TO GO TO WORK IN CHERRY HILL!

Customer Service Analyst (Current Employee)
    Cherry Hill, NJ

ProsMy fellow workers and the benefits.

ConsIt’s to the point where I am afraid to come to work. I think it’s just a matter of time before somebody goes postal. The management – especially in Cherry Hill – is so unbelievably unfair and unreasonable that you just can’t win. A blind man can see what’s going on yet nothing changes. Good people have left the organization, voiced their reasons during their exit interviews and nobody does anything to make things better for those of us who are stuck here. Great employees are getting bad reviews – and the reasons are ridiculous. Some people aren’t even given reasons why they get bad reviews. “You said something that somebody didn’t like but I can’t tell you what it was.” One comment negates an entire year of blood, sweat and tears – not to mention completely wipes away any self-esteem we have left. I used to love my job but now I hate coming to work every day. No matter what I do, it’s never enough. We are all felt to feel completely worthless. I wish I could get another job but, without a degree, I know I can’t. So they just keep beating us down and making us feel horrible. My customers like me, my sales people like me, my colleagues like me – but I keep getting bad reviews. And for stupid reasons. I come in early, stay late and work through lunch but it doesn't matter. It never used to be like this.

Great people, difficult environment

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee)
    Camden, NJ

ProsSmart. committed people to work with
    Social responsibility is taken seriously
    Highly ethical

ConsCan't make decisions
    Fearful of making mistakes, slow to innovate
    Slave to the analysts
    Exceedingly slow to change despite widespread recognition that it's needed

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people make decisions you pay them to make - stop second guessing, stop asking for reams of data and then chase squirrels rather than make up your minds.

Took sales force for granted

Retail Business Manager (Former Employee)
    Birmingham, AL

ProsMost of the people are great to work with

ConsCompany took a turn for the worse with new CEO

Advice to Senior ManagementTook field sales force for granted

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fine, changing new CEO settling in, tough to tell yet

ProsCompensation package is above industry average

ConsHigh turnover, movement in all levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementSecond tier management needs leadership training.

A great company with strong brands and relationship based culture

Director (Current Employee)
    Camden, NJ

Proswork life balance, corporate social responsibility

Conshas been slow to react to changes in the market in the past

from beginning to when i left, Campbell Soup was a GREAT place to work. Can't speak for anything beyond 1995

Systems Programmer/LAN Administrative (Former Employee)
    Camden, NJ

Prosback in the day, excellent training, tons of opportunity to try/learn new things. Manager recognized and rewarded diligence, skill, effort, and results. The company produces excellent products

Consthe outsource MIS in early 90's

More concerned with being politically correct than getting results

Vice President (Current Employee)
    Camden, NJ

ProsThe soup sells itself but despite that Progresso and Private Label have taken over as the leaders of the soup world and Campbell Soup is merely a commodity now

ConsCampbell Soup is a PR nightmare. The Human Resources department is more concerned with looking politically correct than getting any results. This has lead to incompetent persons heading up most departments including the CEO who was given the role because she is a woman. She had screwed up major company installation attempts with SAP software and yet because she talked the talk and had the look was promoted. The HR department is very involved in reviewing executives when they have no idea what the skill set is that is needed in the role. They are more concerned with having people who look the right way (but God forbid if you are overweight in this company or a bit alternative, you will go NOWHERE fast. If you are someone thinking of leaving your high flying early career to come to Campbell Soup my advice is a strong DON'T. Campbell Soup can never develop talent from within and the furthest you will go is a boring middle management job where you will constantly watch your back. Layoffs happen every six months and usually start with those are can not fit the cookie cutter boring approach. The stock is doomed as weill be your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire everyone in Human Resources right now. Bring in Business Persons to run the company. Develop people from within. Get my stock options out from being underwater the past ten years you pathetic slugs.

Progressive in terms of sustainability and newly remolded work place, however, culture is very confrontational.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Camden, NJ

ProsOpportunity for strong leaders and willing to test and learn almost anything.

ConsHigh turnover causes lack of quality management and HR Dept is weak. Extremely fast paced culture and high workload expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure ongoing candid conversations with management to understand beyond the politics.

Times and tides are changin'

Camden, NJ

ProsNew CEO in Denise Morrison, emerging as a better leader now out of the shadow of Doug Conant, compared to working under him. She sees the need for change, and is starting the transition. She has established a leadership team with the will to transform the business, compared with the previous regime of old school network retirement fund builders. This will be an exciting couple of years, where new things will be tried, opportunities for differentiation and disruptive pathways will be more readily accepted, and the building of a healthier future and culture begins.

ConsHaving to deal with the aftermath of 10 years where the company stood still, and product portfolio stood still. Now we see the first sign of life after a long dormant period, where image was more important than profitability or growth. Difficulty will be halting the 10 year slide and turning the corner - May have to look for solutions from outside the world of soup to reverse the irrelevance of the products to today's consumer base.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify, acquire new businesses, take more risk, focus on something other than condensed soup! Change with the times - We were not always Campbell Soup Company, so we can change again, possibly to just Campbell's and spread our wings.

A great place to work

Senior IT Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly; Lots of opportunity; Mature, global organization

ConsBeen a little shaky the last few years due to the economy

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep Doug's dream alive :)

Worked for Campbell Soup? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Campbell Soup reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Campbell Soup CEO Denise Morrison. All 138 reviews posted anonymously by Campbell Soup employees.