Camping World Inc

Updated December 1, 2014
Updated December 1, 2014
2.5

Marcus A. Lemonis

Pros
  • Nice customers and good employee discounts (in 7 reviews)

• Hours are great,Customers are good people that enjoy what they are doing (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Lot's of family members throughout senior management, no communication (in 4 reviews)

• As for quality of customer service -- forget about it (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at Camping World Inc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, good hours, fun team of people to work with, good balance between work life and home life

Cons

Not everyone who comes on the lot is interested in making such a large purchase on the spot.. commission sales can be tough

Ok place to start your career

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wichita, KS

I worked at Camping World Inc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company provides a ton of quality training; management is readily available for assistance

Cons

No opportunities for growth; lots of time spent being paid to do hardly anything

Adjust call center schedules to more properly fit needs of company

I actually look forward going to work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Camping World Inc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers. Great Pay. Great benefits. HUGE opportunities for advancement. Feels pretty awesome working for THE industry leader. Especially visible at industry events such as the Hershey show. Relocation opportunities are available (over 100 locations nationwide). We have a young, energetic staff and this makes the work environment an enjoyable one. Work is fun. I see strides for advancing our business in the long-run, and that is extremely encouraging. As a team, we conduct daily morning meetings where everyone from upper management to the frontline employees gather to go over daily business. Everyone is included and made to feel important, including opinions and thoughts on ways to improve the day-to-day grind.

Cons

The hours could be better, but it's hard to complain when you're being well compensated for your time.

Maybe consider scheduling on an employee to employee basis.

Not what you think it is at all... Not so nice job Marcus!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager

I have been working at Camping World Inc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hours are'nt too bad for being a retail setting and the enviroment can be fun.

Cons

Well for starters the focus on "Good Sam' is so rediculous that it would make your head spin! This is a 100% profit money maker for the company and the main focus that the upper brass / bean counters focus on!!!! I have never worked for a company in my life that turns it's heads to the "real" issues but will kick the hell out of you if your "numbers" are not up to par... Biggest joke I have ever seen. You can be strong in every single aspect of your job but if your Good Sam numbers slip you had better watch out because the iron fist from the upper brass is coming down! They are making money hand over fist but dont expect any raises, bonuses, or thank you!!! GREED baby, thats all Camping World is about.

Get off your lazy buts and get your boots on the ground and take the beating that you dish out to lower level management / hourly employees. Oh and maybe share some of the ridiculous salaries and bonus's that you get with the people who acually are the ones that deserve it!!!! GREED is the way this company operates from Marcus down but it stops at store management!!!!!!!!

It's Not What Marcus Portrays On TV

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Camping World Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck and benefits until economy gets better.

Cons

We were just notified our insurance premiums are going up yet again and still no raises after several years. Marcus loves to tell us on conference calls profits are soaring but only top level executives and their cronies get raises and bonuses. There is no review and raise process, it was axed several years ago. It doesn't matter if the cronies are useless, liars, and pathetic as long as executive staff is blinded by it they are safe and the rest of us suffer. Their salaries continue to go up, ours continue to go down. Morale at this company is the pits.

Implement a review and raise process for all, not just your cronies. Practice what you preach, make yourself believable. It is difficult if not impossible to watch the hypocrisy regarding the people part of your steps. You have obstacles inside the company who make it very hard for people to do their jobs. They hide very well because you are not looking.

50/50

Current Employee - Office Manager
    Current Employee - Office Manager

I have been working at Camping World Inc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

We are really lucky to have a GM that genuinely cares about his employees

Cons

At the end of the day, it's still a corporation and we are still just numbers

Treat people like you want to be treated. Be kind and praise them when deserved

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Camping World Inc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great hours,training was current, pay was great.I was only there for a short time but I loved the Management in the Colorado Springs store.

Cons

The distance I had to travel to go to work everyday was over two hours there and two hours back and adding those hours to my schedule plus a not so reliable transportation I had to quit at no fault of camping world.

Continue paying well and advancing from within !

Management Needs a Wakeup Call

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Saukville, WI
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Saukville, WI

I have been working at Camping World Inc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love the group I work with -- we mesh very well, support each other -- truly can't imagine being part of a better group. Love the employee discounts. Hours are reasonable. Hourly pay better than I expected but could be higher considering the amount of responsibilities given.

Cons

Don't expect full weekends off unless you request off. Customers ask all the time if we enjoy camping -- we just laugh and tell them we don't get weekends off so we can't enjoy the hobby. Not all employees are treated fairly or equally. Store manager uses his title to bully his staff and bend rules to HIS benefit. Can't sell memberships -- your job is threatened. ERV training is a joke -- no time at work to complete as needed and are not allowed to train from home on own time unless you don't want to get paid for the training. Oh yeah -- if you don't complete the training to learn about the products -- you look like a complete idiot to the customers and in return the manager tells you to get more time in with the online training. Yeah right! Goals for sales staff to sell memberships, roadside assistance, travel assist, passport to america -- ridiculously high. Don't meet your goals - you don't get your perks! As for quality of customer service -- forget about it. I refuse to use scare tactics for a sale or to put items in a customers cart for them.

You need a reality check. Goals are a joke -- especially for our market. When your staff tells you why they are not making their goals -- listen to them and support them. Don't force us to lie or sell a customer something they don't want. Being a bully to the customer only results in a lost sale. Stop bullying your employees. Seriously -- a manager is only as good as the staff that supports them. There are a set of core values posted in the store -- you need to review them yourself.

When Procedure is more important than Product.

Former Employee - Service Tech in Swedesboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Service Tech in Swedesboro, NJ

I worked at Camping World Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Worked for 15 years as a Tech (not an installer) The people at my lever were great

Cons

Before I left they initiated a Policy where each and every operation you had to stop, start up a computer, log in and typed in a description of what you did. Taking away from the time the Customer was paying for.

Before this system if a Tech saw something on a customers coach he could ad/sell he was allowed to do so just by writing in the Part and the operation. This could be done, and was done often because first off the system was easy and the Tech had the time to do it.

Under the New system, first off he had less time and secondly he had to go to the service counter, wait in line for a service writer, write up the ad on then call the customer and get his/her approval (Like we were lieing to them)

All this took away the free time to do the ad on job.

If a Tech did this he was grossly behind in his work.

Sooo, the Tech's stopped doing ad on jobs.

Then we were told, with a straight face that ad on sales were down and to pick them back up!!

Nobody in Management realized that this system had virtually fired all there Best Ad on salespersons! The Tech's!

In addition they had a 11-12-15 what ever point check that was included checking tires, oil, wiper fluid, lights, LP pressure and a host of other things taking more time.

We figured it out one time that if a Customer came in and had a 1 hour service job that he was only getting 35 minutes of actual service.

I was billed out at $109 an hour for Tech work. This meant that the customer, to get a full hours work done would be paying almost $156. an hour.

KISS. If what your "Bean Counters" want to know is costing you more money in time, sales and customer complaints, Maybe that information isn't as important as there telling you it is.

Just a Headcount

Former Employee - Office
    Former Employee - Office

I worked at Camping World Inc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It seems to be a low pressure friendly environment

Cons

They overload you with work and offer no real help. Sales managers and service manager goof off a lot. Caught one manager taking a nap in a unit , and apparently all the sales reps knew about it. He did it on a regular basis. Worked for the company for a while, and in the end I was "laid-off". It was Blamed on "Head Count". I think it was because they wanted me to keep my mouth shut. I worked 50-60 hours a week and was offered no real help. Seen a lot of crazy things at that place, none that I care to repeat to anyone. Just not a good environment.

Good thing I found a job within a week...

Marcus says it is the 3 P's..... People, Processes, and Product

You lay off the hard workers and keep the lazy people? No wonder the sales are down at that location.

If its truly about people, then why do you lay off people at Christmas Time EVERY year? Typically right at the beginning of December???? That's really taking care of people that work hard for you all year long while the overpaid managers goof off. Here's a hint- Invest in Cameras!