Camping World Inc

Updated September 24, 2014
Updated September 24, 2014
2.4

Marcus A. Lemonis

Pros
  • Nice customers and good employee discounts (in 7 reviews)

• Hours are great,Customers are good people that enjoy what they are doing (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They also put heavy emphasis on selling memberships like the store buyers club, Good Sam, Camping clubs, even insurance and extended product warranties (in 5 reviews)

• Lot's of family members throughout senior management, no communication (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I actually look forward going to work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Camping World Inc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome coworkers. Great Pay. Great benefits. HUGE opportunities for advancement. Feels pretty awesome working for THE industry leader. Especially visible at industry events such as the Hershey show. Relocation opportunities are available (over 100 locations nationwide). We have a young, energetic staff and this makes the work environment an enjoyable one. Work is fun. I see strides for advancing our business in the long-run, and that is extremely encouraging. As a team, we conduct daily morning meetings where everyone from upper management to the frontline employees gather to go over daily business. Everyone is included and made to feel important, including opinions and thoughts on ways to improve the day-to-day grind.

Cons

The hours could be better, but it's hard to complain when you're being well compensated for your time.

Maybe consider scheduling on an employee to employee basis.

50/50

Current Employee - Office Manager
    Current Employee - Office Manager

I have been working at Camping World Inc full-time for more than a year

Pros

We are really lucky to have a GM that genuinely cares about his employees

Cons

At the end of the day, it's still a corporation and we are still just numbers

Treat people like you want to be treated. Be kind and praise them when deserved

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Camping World Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great hours,training was current, pay was great.I was only there for a short time but I loved the Management in the Colorado Springs store.

Cons

The distance I had to travel to go to work everyday was over two hours there and two hours back and adding those hours to my schedule plus a not so reliable transportation I had to quit at no fault of camping world.

Continue paying well and advancing from within !

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management Needs a Wakeup Call

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Saukville, WI
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Saukville, WI

I have been working at Camping World Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Love the group I work with -- we mesh very well, support each other -- truly can't imagine being part of a better group. Love the employee discounts. Hours are reasonable. Hourly pay better than I expected but could be higher considering the amount of responsibilities given.

Cons

Don't expect full weekends off unless you request off. Customers ask all the time if we enjoy camping -- we just laugh and tell them we don't get weekends off so we can't enjoy the hobby. Not all employees are treated fairly or equally. Store manager uses his title to bully his staff and bend rules to HIS benefit. Can't sell memberships -- your job is threatened. ERV training is a joke -- no time at work to complete as needed and are not allowed to train from home on own time unless you don't want to get paid for the training. Oh yeah -- if you don't complete the training to learn about the products -- you look like a complete idiot to the customers and in return the manager tells you to get more time in with the online training. Yeah right! Goals for sales staff to sell memberships, roadside assistance, travel assist, passport to america -- ridiculously high. Don't meet your goals - you don't get your perks! As for quality of customer service -- forget about it. I refuse to use scare tactics for a sale or to put items in a customers cart for them.

You need a reality check. Goals are a joke -- especially for our market. When your staff tells you why they are not making their goals -- listen to them and support them. Don't force us to lie or sell a customer something they don't want. Being a bully to the customer only results in a lost sale. Stop bullying your employees. Seriously -- a manager is only as good as the staff that supports them. There are a set of core values posted in the store -- you need to review them yourself.

When Procedure is more important than Product.

Former Employee - Service Tech  in  Swedesboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Service Tech in Swedesboro, NJ

I worked at Camping World Inc full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Worked for 15 years as a Tech (not an installer) The people at my lever were great

Cons

Before I left they initiated a Policy where each and every operation you had to stop, start up a computer, log in and typed in a description of what you did. Taking away from the time the Customer was paying for.

Before this system if a Tech saw something on a customers coach he could ad/sell he was allowed to do so just by writing in the Part and the operation. This could be done, and was done often because first off the system was easy and the Tech had the time to do it.

Under the New system, first off he had less time and secondly he had to go to the service counter, wait in line for a service writer, write up the ad on then call the customer and get his/her approval (Like we were lieing to them)

All this took away the free time to do the ad on job.

If a Tech did this he was grossly behind in his work.

Sooo, the Tech's stopped doing ad on jobs.

Then we were told, with a straight face that ad on sales were down and to pick them back up!!

Nobody in Management realized that this system had virtually fired all there Best Ad on salespersons! The Tech's!

In addition they had a 11-12-15 what ever point check that was included checking tires, oil, wiper fluid, lights, LP pressure and a host of other things taking more time.

We figured it out one time that if a Customer came in and had a 1 hour service job that he was only getting 35 minutes of actual service.

I was billed out at $109 an hour for Tech work. This meant that the customer, to get a full hours work done would be paying almost $156. an hour.

KISS. If what your "Bean Counters" want to know is costing you more money in time, sales and customer complaints, Maybe that information isn't as important as there telling you it is.

Worst company to work for

I worked at Camping World Inc

Pros

Helping customers, hours, makes you want to work somewhere else

Cons

Store manager is someone that doesn't have any patience and favors the young female employees.

There needs to be better management in this store that doesn't hold one stander for one employee and a different stander for another employee

Just a Headcount

Former Employee - Office
    Former Employee - Office

I worked at Camping World Inc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It seems to be a low pressure friendly environment

Cons

They overload you with work and offer no real help. Sales managers and service manager goof off a lot. Caught one manager taking a nap in a unit , and apparently all the sales reps knew about it. He did it on a regular basis. Worked for the company for a while, and in the end I was "laid-off". It was Blamed on "Head Count". I think it was because they wanted me to keep my mouth shut. I worked 50-60 hours a week and was offered no real help. Seen a lot of crazy things at that place, none that I care to repeat to anyone. Just not a good environment.

Good thing I found a job within a week...

Marcus says it is the 3 P's..... People, Processes, and Product

You lay off the hard workers and keep the lazy people? No wonder the sales are down at that location.

If its truly about people, then why do you lay off people at Christmas Time EVERY year? Typically right at the beginning of December???? That's really taking care of people that work hard for you all year long while the overpaid managers goof off. Here's a hint- Invest in Cameras!

No place is perfect

Former Employee - Call Center Representative  in  Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at Camping World Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As far as coworkers and management, they were some of the best people I have ever worked under/with. Employee discount is great and they did improve the cost of health insurance/benefits. They're pretty good about working with a school schedule/availability if necessary. Pretty good system on internal promotion if possible and ability to work up the ladder for the most part. If you get bored or don't feel a position is for you, its not too difficult to move to another.

Cons

The people for the most part really are wonderful, but as far as an overall on the company: I worked there for quite some time, and I don't believe anyone has received a raise outside of promotions or change of departments within the last five years(at least). There seems to be an issue with execution of changes/updates. Unfortunately there is also a lack of information when these come about as well in some departments. Its not unusual to find out one day that "surprise!" there is another thing being brought into the company that you're responsible for, but have not received any product information or training on, and its going active that same day. Nothing wrong with change, but it would be much more helpful and efficient if information needed was given beforehand on the activation, and also tested before activation seeing as system issues seemed to go hand-in-hand with a change. Also, there are issues with scheduling that causes some employees to work 7+ days in a row, but it is not considered overtime as all the days do not fall on the same pay period and that scheduling is not really something you opt into or say "yes I'm okay with this". This is also something that didn't use to happen, but now is a regular thing for individuals who work on a weekend rotation. There is more that could be listed here, and honestly I don't expect things to improve much in the near future. There are a lot of contradicting situations with company policy and a really hideous corporate mentality of "numbers" instead of "people". Some individuals seem to think that the lack of higher numbers in sales is due to employees, when in reality a lot of it has to do with the system and how it works. I don't plan to ever order with the company because of this(and for the record I was not fired so this is not to spite the company).

To my former direct management: Honestly I know that a lot of it is out of your hands as far as the issues, and you are doing what you can, but your hands are tied. You all are doing your best and its noticeable. I just hope it gets easier as a whole for everyone all around soon.
    To those above them: something needs to be done about showing more support and appreciation to the employees that work directly with the customer base. They are representing the company to hundreds and thousands of people everyday and the lack of support causes a HUGE drop in morale. Once your direct contact to the customer base starts to not care, it obviously goes downhill from there. It doesn't take a genius or degree holder to know this. A thankful action or even something that literally says "thank you" can go a long way in benefiting the company and mentality of your workers. Its also painful to watch the CEO practically throw money at everyone else, especially in the public eye, when the employees bust their butts and can't even get a raise.

Too much focus on membership sales.

I have been working at Camping World Inc

Pros

Clentiele is easy going and happy.

Cons

Too much pressure to sell memberships.

Sell new memberships and renewals that are less than a year from expiring. Not 3 to 5 years before they expire. That's just badgering the customers.

Great Company

Former Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at Camping World Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very large and growing company providing ample opportunities for career development and advancement.

Cons

I can think of no cons for this company

Worked for Camping World Inc? Contribute to the Community!