Camping World

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
2.6

Marcus Lemonis

Growing company with a lot of opportunity

Current Employee - Dealership Management
    Current Employee - Dealership Management

I have been working at Camping World

Pros

Great growth opportunities, industry leading wages,

Cons

Technology in the industry lags behind,

Too many inconsistencies within processes and management to learn and excel within the company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Camping World full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Camping world has great employees, product discounts,health benefits, volunteering opportunities. the employee cohesion is great! Co-workers is accepting and willing to lend a hand.

Cons

lack of positive leadership, lack of accountability, lack of training and coaching to help employees gain knowledge to effectively serve their customers.

My advice would be to empower your employees by providing proper training, give them some decision making power and stand behind them. the reason why some employees have lost their desire to go to work is because management demands employees to work extra hours with little or no compensation. If management says they are going to do something, they need to keep their word.

This could be a great place to work

I have been working at Camping World full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Culture with fun activities

Cons

Pay scale is lower than market averages

Big company benefits; big company BS

Current Employee - RV Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - RV Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Camping World full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wide selection of brands to sell and competitive pricing on store items, parts and accessories

Cons

Lots of paperwork, red tape, corporate approvals needed for many things

Stop sending all the profits to corporate headquarters. Pay people what they are worth!

INTEGRITY! WHAT INTEGRITY?

Current Employee - Finance and Insurance Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Finance and Insurance Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Camping World full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, co-workers are awesome and feel the same about the company and guarantees which never happen. Good employee discounts in the store.

Cons

Promises made by corp which are never seen through. GM continually lies to employees and customers. Again corporate turns the other cheek. Multiple BBB complaints but nothing is done. No life outside of work, typical work week 45-60 + hours and they feel this is okay. Trick customers into buying Good Sam memberships at the register to get sales numbers and "win" contests. Very limited training for jobs but continue to promise to train.

Give employees reviews and let them know how they are doing. Discuss this openly and advance these individuals. People want to work but need to tools to do so. Training, documents and corporate backup would be awesome. Increase employee moral would help keep the turn around down and thus help reduce this need for constant training. Offer holidays to be paid.

Not paid enough for the stress of this job. *retail cashier*

Current Employee - Retail Associate in Kissimmee, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Associate in Kissimmee, FL

I have been working at Camping World full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My repeat customers and Coworkers. The schedule is very flexible. Hourly salary is higher than most places.

Cons

Membership sales vs. expectations are beyond ridiculous. The demand to join and renew customers daily is extremely stressful. Expected to join or renew at least 18% of daily transactions. We are a tourist city so internationals, Canadians, and full-timers are the customers. They either don't want to spend $25 to save .50$ for the $5.00 they are spending or we just renewed them yesterday! ("Doesnt matter, do it again.")

Number of employees is based on retail sales numbers, so not enough help on the floor, and not enough knowledgeable employees hired.

Never let them know you could do more, you won't get paid for those doing extra duties.

Stop basing everything on numbers and actually look around at your store. We have a terrible leaking roof, your employees are at their breaking point, your customers are frustrated with lack of inventory, and its the slow season... Meaning you can't expect the same sales and membership numbers as the busy season. Be realistic!!

TOTAL OPPOSITE OF WHAT MARCUS PORTRAYS ON TV

I have been working at Camping World full-time

Pros

It's a paycheck and insurance until something better comes along.

Cons

We were just notified our insurance rates are going up again and still no raises. My salary keeps diminishing although we're told profits are soaring. There is a cronyism environment here. There is no review/raise process at all, it was thrown out several years ago. Executives & their cronies are the only people thriving here. There is no loyalty and morale continues to sink. There isn't even a trickle down environment here.

Until Marcus practices what he preaches & takes a look at the problems here and who is creating them things are not going to change. You've got people in upper level management practicing cronyism, you deny us our fair share of the profits, you continue to bombard us with rising benefits costs. Morale is not good.

Profits over Customer Service

I worked at Camping World full-time

Pros

Customers recognize and appreciate good service. Possibility to make a decent income in service.

Cons

None really, could have better health benefits and more paid holidays.

Cut back pay/bonuses at the top to keep valuable, productive people down below. Get rid of bean counters.

Poor at best.

Current Employee - Service Advisor/Writer in Dover, FL
    Current Employee - Service Advisor/Writer in Dover, FL

I have been working at Camping World full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Insurance is good,price is the same if you got it yourself.

Cons

When you get in your fifties you get the choice of transfering to one of there out of the way locations or go down the road no matter how well your performance is. All techs have been changed to flatrate with no guarantee of of pay if the work is,nt there.The company has moved the RV business to third rate.

You can work years to advance,when you finally do,corporate comes in and reduces the position pay. Last resort job only.

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Camping World full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is fun to work for a company that is growing and expanding so much.

Cons

Benefits package is sub-par. Corporate office culture is not very friendly or social. It's a go to work then go home atmosphere where not a lot of friendships are made.