Canada Bread Company Reviews

Updated January 21, 2015
Updated January 21, 2015

Richard A. Lan

Canada Bread Company

Former Employee - QA Specialist in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - QA Specialist in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Bread Company as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

very nice team to work with. Seldom any pressure.

Cons

environment can be dull and mundane.

Open more full time positions!

Fast paced business

I have been working at Canada Bread Company

Pros

Lots of room for personal growth. Great people to work with.

Cons

Lack of leadership from senior management

Improve on leadership at senior management level

Could be a great company if it weren't for the leadership team

Current Employee - A Senior Leader in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - A Senior Leader in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Bread Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you like projects then you will like Canada Bread. This company loves to run projects. The hours are flexible and and the work culture has been good up until the purchase by Bimbo Bakeries. Be warned that the culture is changing...Salaries are mediocre, but you get job security. Bimbo Bakeries bought Canada Bread in May. They say there are global opportunities for those who are willing to move, but you need to know people within the other businesses to find those jobs. Nothing is posted. It's a good place for someone early in their career to gain some skills and use this company as an entry into the food industry.

Cons

The executives at the very top are seen as dysfunctional and political. Bimbo Bakeries has a poor history of culture integration and it is repeating it's mistakes in Canada. They really don't understand the value of people. The business will lose some of it's talented people over the next year or more as they 'integrate' the company. People with options will move onto better paying jobs with less grief.

Reorganize your executive team to remove self serving behaviors
    Improve your total compensation and benefits to retain and attract talent at every level
    Give people in lower ranks a chance to grow

The local Edmonton bakery wasn't great, but everything seems to be right in the larger Company

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Canada Bread Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Good salary for the industry, best benefits I've ever had.
    - As a Production Supervisor, you can leave work at work. The whole 24/7 always-at-work culture begins one level up, at the Production Manager.
    - After you understand the lines, all you need to worry about is day-to-day concerns. Larger picture issues are not your concern and you don't need to worry about them. It can be very low stress if you're just happy coming to work and going home at the end of the day.
    - There's room for advancement if you can stomach the culture, show unconditional loyalty, and play the game well.

Cons

- My experience was that management in the Edmonton 160th (over the period 2010-2014) sees people as replaceable parts and not as real human beings. This applies for both the unionized staff and for you -- you're a tool; nothing less, and nothing more.
    - Management in the Edmonton 160th (again over the period 2010-2014; I can't speak for the broader company experience) was all about micromanagement and runs the plant with a command-and-control style. Rocking the boat is not appreciated, regardless of how fact-based or humanizing your approach may be.
    - You're not really a supervisor, as you don't make any decisions whatsoever -- you're essentially a non-union lead hand who is expected to consult up with regard to every hiccup on the job. This could be a pro depending on what you expect out of the position, I guess, because you're getting paid well for someone who just picks up the phone and gets told what to do.

I didn't thrive at CB given the local culture; maybe others do though, so I guess the best way to put it is that the fit wasn't right for me. I would recommend treating staff (both unionized and non-unionized) as real people, because carrots tend to get you further than sticks. I would also recommend using the Production Supervisors as real supervisors -- not just as lead hands -- because there's a lot of untapped talent in the team and you would have a lot less minutiae to deal with. Trust them, give them responsibility to make decisions as they see fit, and hold them accountable for their results one way or another.

Hot, Cool and friendly.

Former Employee - Millwright in Delta, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Millwright in Delta, BC (Canada)

I worked at Canada Bread Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good schedule, cool an friendly.

Cons

No training, HOT, no involvement asked from our department.

open your mind to your base, spend time to train production workers.

Barely evolved in the last 25 years...

Current Employee - Clerk in Laval, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Clerk in Laval, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Bread Company part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The salary is good for the work that is done. Stable company with a strong union. Coworkers are usually competent.

Cons

The problems have basically been the same every single day for the last 10 years and no supervisor are interested to put any energy to find a suitable long term solution.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Bread Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits and working location.

Cons

Inefficient, ineffective management, poor equipment and resources.

Need improvement on motivation and direction.. Very unsupportive of rank and file and were very reluctant to improve processes and make the job easier. Used the demands of business to leave staff waiting for improvements. In my case I was contracted employee, ask if I wanted to accept a full time job after one month, then waited 3 months for the paper work to be completed, became full time... then 5 weeks later I was fired.

Financial Analyst

I have been working at Canada Bread Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great team work. Great Solidarity

Cons

Management don't give any motivation to team to improve themselves. don't give any opportunities to grow.Don't respect them. Definitively not a good experience.

Don't fired people who have the knowledge of the company and adequate skills mostly when people who stay don't have the knowledge to continue working on the business.

North Bay branch is a Dictatorship

Current Employee - General Help in North Bay, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - General Help in North Bay, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Bread Company full-time

Pros

Some of the pros to working here are the wages and that you get to take 2 products home at the end of the shift.

Cons

Management doesn't listen to workers. You get treated like crap and they won't give you a straight answer on anything. The management also doesn't know how to talk to workers (get yelled at, put down, sworn at)

The North Bay outlet needs to be cleaned out. Seems like everyone in management is related to each other and lots of the senior people are related to management. Nepotism is RAMPANT.

Good learning experience.

Current Employee - Demand Planner
    Current Employee - Demand Planner

I have been working at Canada Bread Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

co workers are great, strong knowledge base in the area.

Cons

Office is very lean from a staffing point of view.