Canada Ministry of Transportation

Not yet rated.

Canada Ministry of Transportation Minister Bob Chiarelli

Bob Chiarelli

Good experience

Summer Student (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Ministry of Transportation as an intern for less than a year

ProsTo any environmental specialists considering working at MTO, take heart in the fact that MTO works with a lot of consulting firms such as AECOM, Genivar, etc for highway projects. I would not rate MTO as the best place to be for an environmental specialist, but it does provide good exposure.

ConsFelt the pay was far lower than industry standard for the same type of role

Aviation professionals should not expect a career or respect at TC.

Aviation Inspector (Current Employee)
Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Ministry of Transportation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPublic service benefits are good by comparison to a shriveling private sector. However these are under attack. Security and perfectibility, especially compared to the aviation industry,. Normal scheduled hours.

ConsThe atmosphere in Civil Aviation is toxic and demoralizing. ""Doing more with Less"" and """Working Smarter " for the last 5 years has led to not enough people to do the work so management has taken the tack that - Anyone [ not trained and cheaper} can do the work and that ""you are lucky to have a job"". They write themselves exemptions to regulations and requirements they can't meet. Policies are for use when convenient, and there will be 3 finance reviews/ critiques of anything you do ; no matter how minor.
 They spend more on value and ethics Posters and announcements than demonstrating commitment. One only has to look at the latest Public Service Employee survey to see incredibly low scores on trust / belief in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know if they can fix themselves with this team . Intervention is required

Easy and boring for the most part. But it was laid back, which was nice.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Canada Ministry of Transportation

Prosjob security, money, location, people

Conslots of paperwork and eyes hurting from computer screens

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work!

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Canada Ministry of Transportation as an intern for less than a year

Prosrelaxed, great people, good culture, it was a positive experience working there. Learned quite a bit as an intern there. Comfortable place to work in

Conshard to advance, okay salary. Sometimes you are left without work to do. The salary is based on a chart and although it is great if you are fresh out of university, you might want a bit more after a while

No great

Summer Student Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Canada Ministry of Transportation

ProsInteresting to see Policy in Action, and some interesting poeople. It's weird to be in that situation though as an intern

ConsDefinitely not the best experience, they don't give you any opprortunities for really learning, and if you go in with "dreams," as it were, you'll get a chance to see a lot of people who lost theirs long ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere were some great managers, but they just feel caught in a system, as it were. Work with them and you can get some good experiences though.

Okay

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Canada Ministry of Transportation

ProsGood work environment, mostly consultant management as most engineering work outsourced to third party consultants.

Good project management skills developed and professional service acquisition

ConsNot much engineering work as most work outsourced to third party consultants. Extensive contact with media and public most of whom are concerned about your latest project. Job can get quite political at times with involvement of MPP's and provincial government communications/ issues management staff

Advice to Senior Managementtrust your staff to make the correct decisions

Great experience for a junior, but not a place to continue a career.

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Canada Ministry of Transportation

ProsGreat pay and great experience. Fast-paced political environment that encourages growth.

ConsSlow turn-around. Poor decision making from upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a decision, and stick to it.

Excellent place to learn, friendly people

Assistant Business Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Canada Ministry of Transportation

ProsThe ministry offers a wide variety of work. There are many different areas - finance, human resources, policy, engineering, health & safety, etc. Overall, everyone is very friendly and easy to work with. There is a distinct culture at MTO - a cohesiveness not seen at other ministries. Management staff are open to younger employees learning about functional areas. they are open to job shadowing, mentoring, and promoting a learning culture.
I really enjoyed my time working in different areas of the ministry. Policy areas tend to be busier with later nights but, again the culture i supportive and managers stay with their staff to help get work done in a crunch.

ConsThe ministry does have a higher median age then many of the other ministries. Because of this there are a lot of 'old-school' managers who have technical expertise but no people skills. This can also make it difficult to introduce new ideas or implement best-practice programs and/or services. Also with an older culture is more of the old-school mentality about work and face time. Working from home, telecommuting overall wasn't acceptable. Communications can be distant, and really dependent on your manager to keep you informed. Sometimes programs/mandatory programs were implemented from the central agency (MGS) without context - not sure where the breakdown occurred at MTO or MGS but change wasnt always properly communicated.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to change - same-old-same-old doesnt work any more
Promote feedback and open communication

Worked for Canada Ministry of Transportation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Canada Ministry of Transportation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Canada Ministry of Transportation CEO Bob Chiarelli. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Canada Ministry of Transportation employees.