Canada Post
www.canadapost.ca Ottawa, Canada 5000+ Employees

Canada Post Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014
Canada Post – Canada – “CPC packet sorter”

Canada Post President and CEO Deepak Chopra

Deepak Chopra

Pros:
  • "good pay, good coworkers, outdoor work if you like that, stay in good shape"
    in 12 reviews
  • "a good place to work back in the day, good pay, very good benefits, excellent pension plan"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "I would love for someone in Ottawa to go 'undercover' and actually try to do what they ask letter carriers to do"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Not being full-time means you can't really budget an income"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I wish I had invested my life somewhere else.

Letter Carrier (Current Employee)
Oshawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI know that I will have 40 hrs of work at least per week, and I realize that in today's market that is a bonus. I think that I may get a pension, unless the gov't sells the post office off, and that is the way thinks look.

ConsIncompetent upper management, worse middle management (there ARE exceptions), horrible morale, and the job is becoming impossible to do in the time allotted. I would love for someone in Ottawa to go 'undercover' and actually try to do what they ask letter carriers to do. I have never felt so low in my life. At least I get talked to in a condescending way by my 'team leaders'.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some compassion and respect for the workforce that does the work that pays your salaries. Stop trying to run your workers into the ground.

downhill

Inside Postal Worker PO4 (Current Employee)
Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post full-time for more than 10 years

Prosthere used to be many more. start at 3 weeks vacation. 1 more added every 7 years.this is ended for new hires. wages are ok.

Consnew leadership is not working and the new ceo seems to be trying to run the company to the ground or privatize.A bonus we enjoyed for 4 years is not being paid anymore with new ceo. Company had record profits for 16 years as well as fairly happy employees but the profits went through the floor as did company morale.

Advice to Senior Managementreplace board of directors and ceo. downsize upper management. we dont need 22 vps. Listen to employees and promote within. Change the canada post act to include the delivery of paper statement of bills and statements without penalty. in the exclusions to the cpc act change letters sent by digital means to letters ONLY.Then the profits will roll in.

Neutral

Planning & Control Officer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Canada Post as a contractor

ProsGood flexibility, independent, ability to take on additional responsibilities from management or workflow, learn alot, connect with many people on many levels both business and personal.

ConsWorkload, compensation is under par, very hard to move up in development, no support structure,

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider working with employees in terms of development advancement and not cheap out on compensation to save corporation money - you will only get sub par work for sub par pay. Consider the additional workloads assigned to an employees that were not part of the position mandate applied for come renewal or yearly raises. Getting paid for services does not only apply to vendors it also applies to employees.

Great for what it is.

Supervisor (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post full-time for more than 5 years

ProsShift work is a good at times.

ConsShift Work is bad at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport Staff

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Supervisor

Supervisor (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgood pay, good benefits, positive career movement, friendly and safe environment to work with, excellent employees

ConsExpected to carry colleague's work when they are short staff. Positions are deleted but the work remains there.

Advice to Senior Managementemployees who work above and beyond their duties and none that asked for OT pay even if they work past 8 hours, should be recognized. Not just ignored or pretend that they are suppose to do it just because the team is short staff.

Management by Nepotism

Marketing (Former Employee)
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat pension! Nice people in the lower levels.

ConsMid-management are like the mafia, with strong cliques covering each other. Many are incompetent, being promoted in an age when it did not matter. Abdication of strategic decisions is also the norm, so nobody at that level is held accountable. Things will probably only change when its too late!

Advice to Senior ManagementClear out the talentless, spineless middle management and give the others a chance.

Mildly Entertaining

Letter Carrier (Current Employee)
Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Payscale is 'Decent' - still not enough to live comfortably in modern times.
-Active Lifestyle, keeps you in decent shape (If you can maintain a decent diet)
-Overtime is endless, if you have no life you can earn almost $70,000/year as a Letter Carrier

Cons-Stressful Environment
-Stressful Workload
-Chain of command is ridiculous, nobody seems to know what is going on

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to bring back the positive environment the post office once was, do some team building workshops or even try to implement a '10 Minute Stretch' in the morning to get everyone on the floor familiar with each other... not only will this prevent injury, but it will promote workplace comradeship.

Being a "temp" carrier means you are at their mercy.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Canada Post

ProsBeing able to work outdoors.
Freedom while on route

ConsThe sorting
As a temp, the fact that you are at their mercy for work. Not being full-time means you can't really budget an income.

Letter Carrier

I have been working at Canada Post

Prosflexible hours and good pay

Conscant think of any at this time

Great job

Retail Postal Clerk (Current Employee)

I have been working at Canada Post part-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is good, good benefits if you work over 15 hrs., reasonable benefits if you don't. The people I work with are great people.

ConsNot enough hours available, slow advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for advancement within Canada Post

Worked for Canada Post? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Canada Post reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Canada Post CEO Deepak Chopra. All 131 reviews posted anonymously by Canada Post employees.