Canada Post

Canada Post Reviews in Ottawa, ON Canada

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Canada Post President and CEO Deepak Chopra

Deepak Chopra

Pros
  • good pay, good coworkers, outdoor work if you like that, stay in good shape(in 12 reviews)

• a good place to work back in the day, good pay, very good benefits, excellent pension plan(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • promote from within the Corporation, letter carriers, postal clerks(in 7 reviews)

• no one cares when you lose your job due to cutbacks(in 5 reviews)

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Interactive Environment for Students!

Data Analyst (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsThe company thrives on trying to integrate students into all aspects of the company. HR has done a great job of setting up student wide events where you have the opportunity to meet people your age, as well as managers and directors from all departments in the business.

ConsThe only con I can think of is sometimes the lack of work that you might have to do. You are assigned big tasks to complete by the end of summer, but it can be difficult to keep that goal in mind on a day-to-day basis.

Progressive ideas but dying a slow, painful death

Human Resources Professional (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsWorks like a business and not like a government organization; management employees are pushed to achieve goals and objectives every year; progressive and innovative thinking; some old school VPs should be exited in order to continue drive to really innovate

ConsInnovation is good but the lettermail business model is dying, parcels business ok but they can't compete with the FedEx's of the world when your mandate forces you to deliver items to the middle of Timbuktu at a cheap price. To really drive innovation, the company should be privatized

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are losing experience senior officers, managers and directors in HR over the last 4-5 yrs...hhmm, maybe you should look harder at your General Manager cadre?

It's like jumping down the Rabbit-hole every morning and see who showed up at the Mad Hatter's tea party.

Credit Manager (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsExcellent salaries...because they know if they don't pay well, no one will take the jobs. This also insures the caliber of the hires is generally quite poor. The pay is the only pro.

ConsThey throw money at all problems to make them 'go away'. Very few things ever gets resolved properly or intelligently.
    They are mired in their own quasi-military history and traditionally poor thinking.
    They are a profit making venture in a business that makes a profitability virtually impossible because their government mandated directives come into direct conflict with the economic constructs of supply and demand.Plus the country is just too damn big to move what little mail is left profitably, to everybody everywhere, door-to-door, on time.That leaves non-targeted ad-mail which no ones reads, destroys our forests, and fills up our landfills needlessly.
    The corporate culture is broken beyond repair by too many unions squabbling for a shrinking membership due to corporate outsourcing, Senior management is top heavy with huge salaries and guaranteed performance bonuses whether you perform or not. The senior V.P.'s are viciously territorial and maintain a racist bent towards aboriginal Canadians.
       That pretty much sums it up...I worked at head office in Ottawa as a manager for ten years.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have none...They wouldn't listen anyway... at least the management that was there when I was wouldn't. I believe Deepak Chopra's heart is in the right place but the culture cannot be changed. CPC is a dinosaur running full speed towards the meteor ground zero. Good luck...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Temporary on-call

Inside Postal Worker PO4 (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsThe compensation was amazing. Base salary was nothing to sneeze at and there were bonuses for equipment (boot and glove) and night shift premiuims

ConsThe union was sometimes stifling and you could tell that work practices were not nearly as efficient as they could be.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more visible to your lower-level employees. Most night-shift employees had never seen headquarters and spoke of "the Management" as a far-off and remote entity

graveyard for competent people

Manager (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsRaise your family and have a good time as long as you are capable of "look busy and take easy". If you know French and you are good at politics then you will have happy retirement from senior position. If you were fired from other company and you were long term unemployed but know how to throw names and you can pull right strings then you qualify for a VP position.

ConsMost Executive management have no postal experience. Most executives have nothing to show for their tenure. Firing is usually arbitrary. One GM was given "President's Innovator award" and within few months he was fired by his new incompetent VP perhaps intimidated by his knowledge . Inexperienced CEO never ran an organization of this magnitude. Of course, he knows how to keep seniors well exercised!!! President (Digital) is another genius at glib talking but nothing to show for.

Advice to Senior ManagementMeasure your performance like that of other employees through 360 feedback. Publish your own grade to be transparent. Disclose your bonus under new names that your draw in lieu of CTI bonus.

Manager, project manage Customer Service IT initiatives

Project Manager (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsWas a great place to work when letter mail was plentiful

ConsUpper management wanted it done their way with no input from subordinates

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes collaborative thinking is better than individual thoughts

Great workplace!

Officer, Stratagy (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsGood market salaries and benefits are just par for the course at Canada Post. Their package of monetary and non-monetary benefits sets them apart from others! It is this total package that makes Canada Post a great place to work. It is not just the good salaries, you can also enjoy what you do, work with great people and develop your skills.

ConsThe constant threat of losing your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open with your employees.

Declining, sunset organization

Account Representative (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsCompetetive salaries, benefits, pension. If you are already employed here with several years in and can get a total of 30 years in or 85 factor you will receive a pension.

ConsMismanaged, micromanaged basically affirmative action went wrong. People are not hired based on skills or education hence the need for micromanagement. Current business model is doomed to fail. The good opportunity is over at this company. If you start here now you will not get enough time in to obtain a pension as they will terminate you long before you become a long term liability.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline management by downsizing the number of people in management. Hire qualified people for the job as opposed to affirmative hiring.

Great workplace

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsSupportive, on-going training, great growth opportunity, excellent benefits.

ConsThe head office building is located in a spot that isn't very central, so you are a little isolated in terms of places to go to during lunch/breaks etc.

Great place, great people

Product Manager (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsLots of opportunity inside the organization to move around to gain new experience.

ConsCanada Post is a large company and a Crown corporation , which means things dont happen at the fastest pace.

Worked for Canada Post? Contribute to the Community!