Canada Post

Updated November 12, 2014
2.9

Canada Post President and CEO Deepak Chopra
Deepak Chopra

Pros
  • Good pay, vacation time (3 weeks to begin with), good benefits, unionized (in 15 reviews)

• good pay, good coworkers, outdoor work if you like that, stay in good shape (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • I would love for someone in Ottawa to go 'undercover' and actually try to do what they ask letter carriers to do (in 8 reviews)

• Very unprofessional, incompetence everywhere from upper management to the very bottom (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work at

Current Employee - Labour Relations/Human Resources Officer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a good place to work in

Cons

Lots of decisions are made by upper management and hence difficult to control all situations

Listen to employees

Business Development manager

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity, digital opportunity possible growth

Cons

Poor management, company losing money.

Drop bureaucracy and trim the fat.

Not what I was expecting!

Former Employee - Rural Suburban Mail Carrier in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Rural Suburban Mail Carrier in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is nice to have a job where you deal with the public. Seems like you are self employed yet depends on the route you are working on it can be very large and take love to complete. If it is a short route it is great you can finish early and leave once you are finished regardless of time. Depends on station you are working in the smaller the better, the larger the harder it is to get along with all co-workers.

Cons

Must be willing to start early and finish late most days. On-Call Relief as RSMC is very hard must use your own vehicle. Pay is not great when you work 12 hours is below minimum wage. Most management is part of the old way of favoritism bad customer employee relations with so so union to represent employees. Must deliver flyers and become junk Mail Carrier with loss wage to do so many flyers. Parcels are many and slow you down must deliver Letter Mail, Flyers and Parcels now Canada Post is complaining of high labour costs, how dare they, we now are a 3 services and get only paid minimal for one service, how fair is this?

This job is not as it used to be when I was letter carrier back in the 70' s now it is changing to become less of a great service the public expects, with change to Parcel Delivery Agent plus still delivering flyers and letter mail for less money. This Public Corporation is allowed to Bully employees to cause them more stress and depression, which may lead to suicide is this what any Government employee should endure with this job? Respect your back bone employees who do all the dirty work while all and many mangers stressors do nothing but harass employees as has happen to me and now I am struggling with PTSD thanks for your hurts you have caused me near attempt to give up forever.

Overwhelming

Former Employee - RSMC in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - RSMC in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Delivering the mail, pension is good.

Cons

You have to love piece work or be young and eager or be just plain desperate for a job to succeed as a mail carrier. The monotony and amount of mail that needs sorting everyday is not worth it... in my opinion. The average thinking person knows that there are better ways to make the same money or more with much less headache!

The amount of work and pay don't match.

On Call Postal Clerk for Canada Post Pacific Processing Centre plants

Former Employee - Postal Clerk in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Postal Clerk in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post part-time (less than an year)

Pros

High pay for easy jobs

Cons

High union fee regardless of working hours, get call at the end of the month thus work for free due to high union cost, senior worker aren't working hard

if the company should adopt performance review of their employee on a regular basis

Not what you think

Current Employee - RSMC in Prince George, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - RSMC in Prince George, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

steady work, weekends off, stats off

Cons

hard to get time off, hard work, can't go home until finished for the day. Hard to plan your life

Set up workers to fill in when the volumes are too much for an 8 hour day.

Absolutely horrible environment

Current Employee - Letter Carrier in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Letter Carrier in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bi-weekly paycheck-that's all! It's a sad reality.

Cons

Disdain for their employees especially Letter Carriers. It appears that supervisors and management only care about their bonuses if they come under budget. Therefore, greed is the driving force for some supervisors and management which results in the front line workers (letter carriers) to be used, abused and easily replaceable. Word of advice: Don't go work for Canada Post. Stand up for yourself and find another employer that appreciates and respects their employees.

Come down off your high horse and realize that you are replaceable too. KARMA will come to visit.

I was able to earn enough to support my kids with benefits

Current Employee - Inside Postal Worker PO4
    Current Employee - Inside Postal Worker PO4

I have been working at Canada Post full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

job security, pension, overtime, benefits

Cons

shift work, especially graveyard shift, giving most extra work to casuals/part time workers who are paid $6 hr. less

don't reduce our pension

Ive worked my tail off formany many years to be treated with suspicion in all we do

Current Employee - Letter Carrier in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Letter Carrier in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Comraderie and healthy job. The pay is ok and benefits including a decent pension are resons many people stay , when certain working conditions compel them to leave

Cons

Working conditions under an oppressive employer can wreak havoc on ones emotional and mental state. Also, being totally misunderstood by the public we serve is to say the least frustrating

Treat yoir employees with a modicum of respect

Health and Safety Manager

Former Employee - Manager, Workplace Safety and Health in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager, Workplace Safety and Health in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really, none.... But you will learn how to deal with incompetent and under-handed WSH "leaders". And after you work here, you can survive in any kind of workplace.

Cons

The leadership in workplace safety and health is totally incompetent. Of the Safety GM and all the "safety directors" not one of them is actually trained in safety..... So as a cover up, they shut out anyone that actually knows anything about safety to hide their insecurity. In the last 10 years, they have lost every employee who held undergraduate and graduate degrees in safety. Every person they have promoted and hired has no formal safety background. The result is there really is no progress and support in creating a safer environment for the employees of CPC.

If you are a safety professional looking to join a company where you can make a difference, and also learn more - then CPC is not your place.

Hire people because they are competent and qualified for the job and not because you have "relationships" with them.

Stop creating director level jobs for a person when what they applied for (Safety GM) is not right for them.

Stop lip-service around safety and start actually caring about the safety of your people.

Canada Post Photos