Canada Post Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
3.1

Canada Post President and CEO Deepak Chopra
Deepak Chopra

Pros
  • good pay, good coworkers, outdoor work if you like that, stay in good shape (in 12 reviews)

• a good place to work back in the day, good pay, very good benefits, excellent pension plan (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • promote from within the Corporation, letter carriers, postal clerks (in 7 reviews)

• no one cares when you lose your job due to cutbacks (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

good organization

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Guelph, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Guelph, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

employee training is good for new employee

Cons

ambiguous company goal is lacking for management

better leadership

The most pleasant work environment I've ever worked in.

Former Employee - RSMC  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - RSMC in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good and honest people. And also the autonomy related to my job (RSMC). Benefits and holidays are some of the main advantages.

Cons

Salary can always be better. But overall it wasn't bad.

Keep up the good work.

Progressive ideas but dying a slow, painful death

Former Employee - Human Resources Professional  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Professional in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Works like a business and not like a government organization; management employees are pushed to achieve goals and objectives every year; progressive and innovative thinking; some old school VPs should be exited in order to continue drive to really innovate

Cons

Innovation is good but the lettermail business model is dying, parcels business ok but they can't compete with the FedEx's of the world when your mandate forces you to deliver items to the middle of Timbuktu at a cheap price. To really drive innovation, the company should be privatized

You are losing experience senior officers, managers and directors in HR over the last 4-5 yrs...hhmm, maybe you should look harder at your General Manager cadre?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's like jumping down the Rabbit-hole every morning and see who showed up at the Mad Hatter's tea party.

Former Employee - Credit Manager  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Credit Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent salaries...because they know if they don't pay well, no one will take the jobs. This also insures the caliber of the hires is generally quite poor. The pay is the only pro.

Cons

They throw money at all problems to make them 'go away'. Very few things ever gets resolved properly or intelligently.
    They are mired in their own quasi-military history and traditionally poor thinking.
    They are a profit making venture in a business that makes a profitability virtually impossible because their government mandated directives come into direct conflict with the economic constructs of supply and demand.Plus the country is just too damn big to move what little mail is left profitably, to everybody everywhere, door-to-door, on time.That leaves non-targeted ad-mail which no ones reads, destroys our forests, and fills up our landfills needlessly.
    The corporate culture is broken beyond repair by too many unions squabbling for a shrinking membership due to corporate outsourcing, Senior management is top heavy with huge salaries and guaranteed performance bonuses whether you perform or not. The senior V.P.'s are viciously territorial and maintain a racist bent towards aboriginal Canadians.
       That pretty much sums it up...I worked at head office in Ottawa as a manager for ten years.

I have none...They wouldn't listen anyway... at least the management that was there when I was wouldn't. I believe Deepak Chopra's heart is in the right place but the culture cannot be changed. CPC is a dinosaur running full speed towards the meteor ground zero. Good luck...

Not exciting but an overall safe bet.

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post full-time

Pros

many different sales opportunities CP offers parcels services, direct marketing, big data and much more...Very well kept secrets but it helps many of cies out there ,great recognition of the brand, a lot of internal support. Good compensation for the line of work, good vacation time & offers GREAT insurance benefits. Rare to have a sales job & pension at the same cie.

Cons

Needs to more open to new ideas & be more willing to update itself.

Good pay, good benifit.. and that's about it for working at cpc

I have been working at Canada Post full-time

Pros

better than averge pay with good benifit..

Cons

lots repeatation work, hard on body over the long term.

Temporary on-call

Former Employee - Inside Postal Worker PO4  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Inside Postal Worker PO4 in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post part-time for less than a year

Pros

The compensation was amazing. Base salary was nothing to sneeze at and there were bonuses for equipment (boot and glove) and night shift premiuims

Cons

The union was sometimes stifling and you could tell that work practices were not nearly as efficient as they could be.

Be more visible to your lower-level employees. Most night-shift employees had never seen headquarters and spoke of "the Management" as a far-off and remote entity

Frustrating

Former Employee - Senior Assistant  in  Dawson, KW (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Assistant in Dawson, KW (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The best thing is the assess to my community and customers I care about.

Cons

Canada Post does not want you to care or go above and beyond. Like take an elderly lady her parcel from the post office to her house. You may break a policy, so don't be human or care. Management assumes things that they have no proof of at all. They will never say I am sorry. They do not listen to the concerns of the little people, like me. So glad I am done with them.

Listen, do not make assumptions, care, have facts before dismissing someone or letting them go. It cost they people, corporation, and union too much to take a stand against wrongful dismissal. I think that Canada Post should have to pay the legal fee for the other side every time they loss a case, because they did not have all the facts. Be accountable. Stop taking bonuses when the company is struggling. Trust the truth. Be truthful. Encourage human kindness, spirit of caring and acceptance. The CEO should not take a bonus unless the company is making a profit. Then pay the little people first. He should be the last one to receive a bonus. Make cuts at upper management first.

How could something so good be so bad

Former Employee - Letter Carrier  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Letter Carrier in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Wage is ok, in a province where the average wage is $28/hr (Stats Can) you find yourself below average. Benefits aren't bad.

Cons

Grossly incompetent management from Ottawa all the way down to the local level. You have a salesman from Pitney Bowes , picked by the Prime Minister to head up the postal "service". He shows he really has no idea what he's doing which trickles down to the lower mgmt where they are uneducated and have no idea whats going on but yet walk around disciplining people for any reason they can make up.

Quit ... The only way Canada Post can become effective is through a total removal of all mgmt and their early 20th century style of leadership. Breeding loyalty through paranoia is a system long dead and having 18 yr old supervisors telling people with 30+ years knowledge what to do doesn't work, especially when the supervisor has no idea whats going on or how the system works. And as for upper mgmt, the only thing they should be doing is asking people if they want fries with that.

My Job is excellent. I love the daily interactions that I have with everyone that I have the pleasure to deal with

Current Employee - Retail Business Manager  in  Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Retail Business Manager in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Canada Post is a great compay to work for, my Director is great to deal with and he listens to what i have to say and he adds a lot of value to my work. I appreciate that i can call my General Manager at any given time and he is always willing to talk and help you out wiht anything.

Cons

I really can't think of anything that i would say is bad about Canada Post....it is a very healthy place to work and to build a great future .

I think that Management has been getting better over the past few years and they understand where we need to be as a company, I feel very confident in the approach that they are taking and i know that we will make it.

Worked for Canada Post? Contribute to the Community!