Canada Post

Canada Post Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Canada Post President and CEO Deepak Chopra

Deepak Chopra

Pros
  • good pay, good coworkers, outdoor work if you like that, stay in good shape (in 12 reviews)

• a good place to work back in the day, good pay, very good benefits, excellent pension plan (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • promote from within the Corporation, letter carriers, postal clerks (in 7 reviews)

• no one cares when you lose your job due to cutbacks (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Frustrating

Senior Assistant (Former Employee) Dawson, KW (Canada)

ProsThe best thing is the assess to my community and customers I care about.

ConsCanada Post does not want you to care or go above and beyond. Like take an elderly lady her parcel from the post office to her house. You may break a policy, so don't be human or care. Management assumes things that they have no proof of at all. They will never say I am sorry. They do not listen to the concerns of the little people, like me. So glad I am done with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen, do not make assumptions, care, have facts before dismissing someone or letting them go. It cost they people, corporation, and union too much to take a stand against wrongful dismissal. I think that Canada Post should have to pay the legal fee for the other side every time they loss a case, because they did not have all the facts. Be accountable. Stop taking bonuses when the company is struggling. Trust the truth. Be truthful. Encourage human kindness, spirit of caring and acceptance. The CEO should not take a bonus unless the company is making a profit. Then pay the little people first. He should be the last one to receive a bonus. Make cuts at upper management first.

How could something so good be so bad

Letter Carrier (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsWage is ok, in a province where the average wage is $28/hr (Stats Can) you find yourself below average. Benefits aren't bad.

ConsGrossly incompetent management from Ottawa all the way down to the local level. You have a salesman from Pitney Bowes , picked by the Prime Minister to head up the postal "service". He shows he really has no idea what he's doing which trickles down to the lower mgmt where they are uneducated and have no idea whats going on but yet walk around disciplining people for any reason they can make up.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit ... The only way Canada Post can become effective is through a total removal of all mgmt and their early 20th century style of leadership. Breeding loyalty through paranoia is a system long dead and having 18 yr old supervisors telling people with 30+ years knowledge what to do doesn't work, especially when the supervisor has no idea whats going on or how the system works. And as for upper mgmt, the only thing they should be doing is asking people if they want fries with that.

Temporary on-call

Inside Postal Worker PO4 (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsThe compensation was amazing. Base salary was nothing to sneeze at and there were bonuses for equipment (boot and glove) and night shift premiuims

ConsThe union was sometimes stifling and you could tell that work practices were not nearly as efficient as they could be.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more visible to your lower-level employees. Most night-shift employees had never seen headquarters and spoke of "the Management" as a far-off and remote entity

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good pay but a really hard job!

Delivery Agent (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsThe pay used to be good it is lower now. If you like to be outdoors and get lots of exercise, you might enjoy this.

ConsYou don't get your own route for years. Lots of injuries occur and management has no sympathy. Your work changes daily for the first couple of years.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no adivce to management. They are in a tough position, I wouldn't want to be a manager at Canada Post.

My Job is excellent. I love the daily interactions that I have with everyone that I have the pleasure to deal with

Retail Business Manager (Current Employee) Halifax, NS (Canada)

ProsCanada Post is a great compay to work for, my Director is great to deal with and he listens to what i have to say and he adds a lot of value to my work. I appreciate that i can call my General Manager at any given time and he is always willing to talk and help you out wiht anything.

ConsI really can't think of anything that i would say is bad about Canada Post....it is a very healthy place to work and to build a great future .

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that Management has been getting better over the past few years and they understand where we need to be as a company, I feel very confident in the approach that they are taking and i know that we will make it.

I have 11 experiance in managing, school Directore and teaching

Guard (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosmy hobbies was work and live in canada

Consvisa, way of proccessing, how to get Guard positions in Canada

Advice to Senior Managementplease ansewr the following question, visa, way of processing, how to get Guard positions in Canada

graveyard for competent people

Manager (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsRaise your family and have a good time as long as you are capable of "look busy and take easy". If you know French and you are good at politics then you will have happy retirement from senior position. If you were fired from other company and you were long term unemployed but know how to throw names and you can pull right strings then you qualify for a VP position.

ConsMost Executive management have no postal experience. Most executives have nothing to show for their tenure. Firing is usually arbitrary. One GM was given "President's Innovator award" and within few months he was fired by his new incompetent VP perhaps intimidated by his knowledge . Inexperienced CEO never ran an organization of this magnitude. Of course, he knows how to keep seniors well exercised!!! President (Digital) is another genius at glib talking but nothing to show for.

Advice to Senior ManagementMeasure your performance like that of other employees through 360 feedback. Publish your own grade to be transparent. Disclose your bonus under new names that your draw in lieu of CTI bonus.

Odd hierarchy that seems totally arbitrary

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsColleagues, salary was always pretty good, job was not too stressful although performance evals are absolutely meaningless.

Conscompany values, leadership or lack thereof, absence of customer focus, inability to innovate, largesse in processes, arrogance in management, tenure over competence

Advice to Senior ManagementInvert the pyramid and have information flow from the bottom up. Make consequent changes.

Essentially Paid Slavery

Letter Carrier (Former Employee) Halifax, NS (Canada)

ProsGood wage, work outdoors, most co-workers nice to work with, don't work weekends.

ConsAs a temp you are treated like a slave. You are always in fear of being fired. Supervisors tell you lies. You barely get any assistance for either the supervisors or the union because you are only a casual worker. You need 480 hours to pass probation and you are lucky if you complete that in your first year. In my first two years I barely earned $40K. No one teaches you your rights, so you endanger yourself because you are afraid to say no to anything. Workplace safety is not really encouraged and rarely discussed. Focus is on flyer delivery more than lettermail. This is a very injury-prone job, second highest injuries for a job in Canada. It is a dead-end job. If you stay too long you become unemployable as you gain no skills doing this job. And if you stay too long you are one injury away from being unemployed. Sure there might be pension, once you actually get "hired" which can take 5-7 yrs of "working", but you have to remain with the company for a long time, 15, 20, 25 yrs to claim any of the company contribution. By the time you retire from this job your body will be so abused you won't be able to enjoy it. The money is not worth it, especially considering how much time you waste waiting when you could have been earning at another job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all people with respect. You are supervisors not superior people, get off you high horses and work with people. Do your job, all of it, not just the parts that are easy.

Good company if you are looking for stability and work-life balance

ProsWork-life balance (able to work from home)
    Collaboration between colleagues

ConsVery process-oriented
    Risk adverse
    Experience can vary a lot, depending on your team & the executive in charge of that team

Worked for Canada Post? Contribute to the Community!