Canada Post Reviews

Updated April 7, 2015
184 reviews filtered by

Like the work, to bad you can't make a living at it.

Current Employee - RSMC
    Current Employee - RSMC

I have been working at Canada Post full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy the job. Enjoy being in the outdoors and doing something that is important.

Cons

There is just no way to support a family on the wages I was paid. Also I was required to find my own helper for when I needed time off and pay to train them out of my own wages. Not enough staff to cover holidays as well.

Advice to Management

You need to fix your policies and procedures. Having to train and pay my own helper? I was not a contractor, I was an employee. It is managements responsibility to support the staff, not the other way around.

2. good organization

Current Employee - Store Manager in Guelph, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Guelph, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

employee training is good for new employee

Cons

ambiguous company goal is lacking for management

Advice to Management

better leadership

3. Interactive Environment for Students!

Current Intern - Data Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Intern - Data Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company thrives on trying to integrate students into all aspects of the company. HR has done a great job of setting up student wide events where you have the opportunity to meet people your age, as well as managers and directors from all departments in the business.

Cons

The only con I can think of is sometimes the lack of work that you might have to do. You are assigned big tasks to complete by the end of summer, but it can be difficult to keep that goal in mind on a day-to-day basis.

5. Good pay, good benifit.. and that's about it for working at cpc

I have been working at Canada Post full-time

Pros

better than averge pay with good benifit..

Cons

lots repeatation work, hard on body over the long term.

6. The most pleasant work environment I've ever worked in.

Former Employee - RSMC in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - RSMC in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good and honest people. And also the autonomy related to my job (RSMC). Benefits and holidays are some of the main advantages.

Cons

Salary can always be better. But overall it wasn't bad.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Progressive ideas but dying a slow, painful death

Former Employee - Human Resources Professional in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Professional in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Works like a business and not like a government organization; management employees are pushed to achieve goals and objectives every year; progressive and innovative thinking; some old school VPs should be exited in order to continue drive to really innovate

Cons

Innovation is good but the lettermail business model is dying, parcels business ok but they can't compete with the FedEx's of the world when your mandate forces you to deliver items to the middle of Timbuktu at a cheap price. To really drive innovation, the company should be privatized

Advice to Management

You are losing experience senior officers, managers and directors in HR over the last 4-5 yrs...hhmm, maybe you should look harder at your General Manager cadre?

8. It's like jumping down the Rabbit-hole every morning and see who showed up at the Mad Hatter's tea party.

Former Employee - Credit Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Credit Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent salaries...because they know if they don't pay well, no one will take the jobs. This also insures the caliber of the hires is generally quite poor. The pay is the only pro.

Cons

They throw money at all problems to make them 'go away'. Very few things ever gets resolved properly or intelligently.
    They are mired in their own quasi-military history and traditionally poor thinking.
    They are a profit making venture in a business that makes a profitability virtually impossible because their government mandated directives come into direct conflict with the economic constructs of supply and demand.Plus the country is just too damn big to move what little mail is left profitably, to everybody everywhere, door-to-door, on time.That leaves non-targeted ad-mail which no ones reads, destroys our forests, and fills up our landfills needlessly.
    The corporate culture is broken beyond repair by too many unions squabbling for a shrinking membership due to corporate outsourcing, Senior management is top heavy with huge salaries and guaranteed performance bonuses whether you perform or not. The senior V.P.'s are viciously territorial and maintain a racist bent towards aboriginal Canadians.
       That pretty much sums it up...I worked at head office in Ottawa as a manager for ten years.

Advice to Management

I have none...They wouldn't listen anyway... at least the management that was there when I was wouldn't. I believe Deepak Chopra's heart is in the right place but the culture cannot be changed. CPC is a dinosaur running full speed towards the meteor ground zero. Good luck...

9. Not exciting but an overall safe bet.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post full-time

Pros

many different sales opportunities CP offers parcels services, direct marketing, big data and much more...Very well kept secrets but it helps many of cies out there ,great recognition of the brand, a lot of internal support. Good compensation for the line of work, good vacation time & offers GREAT insurance benefits. Rare to have a sales job & pension at the same cie.

Cons

Needs to more open to new ideas & be more willing to update itself.

10. Temporary on-call

Former Employee - Inside Postal Worker PO4 in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Inside Postal Worker PO4 in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The compensation was amazing. Base salary was nothing to sneeze at and there were bonuses for equipment (boot and glove) and night shift premiuims

Cons

The union was sometimes stifling and you could tell that work practices were not nearly as efficient as they could be.

Advice to Management

Be more visible to your lower-level employees. Most night-shift employees had never seen headquarters and spoke of "the Management" as a far-off and remote entity

11. Frustrating

Former Employee - Senior Assistant in Dawson, KW (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Assistant in Dawson, KW (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best thing is the assess to my community and customers I care about.

Cons

Canada Post does not want you to care or go above and beyond. Like take an elderly lady her parcel from the post office to her house. You may break a policy, so don't be human or care. Management assumes things that they have no proof of at all. They will never say I am sorry. They do not listen to the concerns of the little people, like me. So glad I am done with them.

Advice to Management

Listen, do not make assumptions, care, have facts before dismissing someone or letting them go. It cost they people, corporation, and union too much to take a stand against wrongful dismissal. I think that Canada Post should have to pay the legal fee for the other side every time they loss a case, because they did not have all the facts. Be accountable. Stop taking bonuses when the company is struggling. Trust the truth. Be truthful. Encourage human kindness, spirit of caring and acceptance. The CEO should not take a bonus unless the company is making a profit. Then pay the little people first. He should be the last one to receive a bonus. Make cuts at upper management first.

Canada Post Photos