Canada Revenue Agency

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014
3.7

Kerry-Lynne D. Findlay

Pros
  • great for those with families or single parents looking for work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Great benefits, pays very well for entry-level roles (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is not the most brilliant, red tape and very slow staffing process (in 7 reviews)

• All the red tape of working for the government (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Politics, unfriendly management, soul sucking work

Current Employee - Tax Auditor  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Tax Auditor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Revenue Agency full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For most jobs in CRA, you are granted a true 9 to 5 job with flexible hours and great health benefits. The pay is overly generous for some positions while a bit under paid for others. It gets very easy to become comfortable with your financial situation.

Cons

Being a new employee at this organization automatically makes you feel like a second class citizen. The union will not care about you, management sees you as the easiest target to layoff to reduce budget as you will have no employment rights, promotions and career ladders are muddled by office politics and seniority, the coworkers you work with are frequently not qualified to do their jobs. Contracts are given out with 3 to 4 month terms after the initial 1 year contract and extensions are routinely given out during the last week of the current contract before it expires.

Gain the ability to communicate to your employees. Every time we find out about layoffs and workforce adjustment from the news, the moral in the office shatters. Sometimes telling your employees that you will uphold the minimal legal responsibilities to keep your employment doesn't inspire any confidence the employee has for the organization.

Born to be mild

Current Employee - IT Specialist  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Revenue Agency full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Family friendly
    Various work locations
    Opportunities for various positions in one's chosen field
    Educational credentials are flexible

Cons

University graduates are typically shunned by a blue-collar unionized culture
    Management, especially the middle layer is very complacent -- really lacks vision
    Team leaders in IT are not qualified to manager technical staff. Chosen based on non-technical criteria.

Gently push out the deadwood in middle management

Could be better

Current Employee - Collections Assistant  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Collections Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Revenue Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can't take your work home with you.

Cons

The main problem is that there is very little room for advancement.

Stop passing the buck, and take responsibility.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place for a first job

I have been working at Canada Revenue Agency

Pros

This is a nice place if you are just starting your career. Some good processes are in place.

Cons

There is too much bureaucracy. There is not much room for moving up. This is not a progressive environment. Innovation and new ideas are not encouraged.

Offer more opportunities for employee leadership development.

Ok

Current Employee - Manager  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Revenue Agency

Pros

Over all it's not a bad place to work if you can stay away from dealing with upper management and ignore the political side of it, and I don't mean office politics, I mean as in government. It can be tough trying to forget that you're also a taxpayer.

Cons

There is too much emphasis on promoting to meet the political goals of the gov't as opposed to the public recieving the service. (ie. promoting based on language)

Beware if you are a Student

I have been working at Canada Revenue Agency

Pros

good pay, good hours, etc. all the reasons for working in the Government

Cons

If you are a student and need time off to take an exam or to study even if you fill in all the forms the payroll system doesn't catch any changes from your 'regular' hours so you will get a bill from the CRA once you stop working there. Senior management has known about this problem and won't fix it. So beware of the CRA if you are a student. Save your money because you will probably have to pay something back if you took any time off to write exams or to study. They won't fix this problem. They just stick their heads in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist.

Fix your problems with your payroll systems. It isn't fair to students who get dinged for a problem of overpayment which they have know way of knowing exists, but you certainly know of this problem.

Respectful environment with great management

Current Employee - Taxpayer Services Agent  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Taxpayer Services Agent in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Revenue Agency as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is respectful to one an other and honest. We are all encouraged to resolves inter-staff confrontation as adults, which really contributes well to the friendly environment. Great training. Once you leave work, you leave work! Benefits are OK too.
    I definitively recommend this to my hard working friends!

Cons

It can get repetitive, as we are asked the same questions multiple times during the week. But it's a call center, so there isn't much flexibility on your in/out/breaks time.
    It's a perpetual contract job. You are never sure if/when you will get to sign your next contract.

overall a good job

Former Employee - Non Filers Clerk  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Non Filers Clerk in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Canada Revenue Agency part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary above average, nice benefits, hardly any overtime, 2 breaks a day, not stressful for workers

Cons

hard to advance, need to pass exams after exams

Tumultuous

Current Employee - Senior Technical Interpretation Analyst  in  Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Interpretation Analyst in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Revenue Agency full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Promotion of work-life balance. Not ostracized if time is taken off of work for family reasons

Cons

Wasteful and poor 'business' decisions. Needless bureaucratic hoops to jump through for career advancement

ok

Former Employee - Student
    Former Employee - Student

I worked at Canada Revenue Agency as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Amazing pay. I was a student and earned $17.66/hr. Team leader was very kind to me. Very relaxed and stress-free environment.

Cons

Systems very out of date - was still using 2003 MS office. My work was still sorted then filed away physically when it could easily be done electronically (was very time consuming, exhausting, and inefficient).

Please update the systems.

Worked for Canada Revenue Agency? Contribute to the Community!