Canadian Blood Services Reviews

2.9
Canadian Blood Services CEO Graham D. Sher
Graham D. Sher

1. Nice place to work

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services

Pros

stable business, good benefits, flexible working hours, generous vacation.

Cons

no opportunity to move up.

2. Saving Lives

Current Employee - Logistics in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Logistics in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Life saving and rewarding work that is a direct result of public generosity. 100% funded by governments and is a charity.

Cons

They are moving to an assembly line manufacturing for profit corporation and not investing in employees.

3. Could be amazing, but management doesn

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Blood Services

Pros

- wonderful working with the donors - great front-line staff to work with, made some great friends - get to help people do a good thing - decent wage

Cons

- horrible schedules, impossible to have a life outside of work much less get another job, trying to book time off or switch schedules a nightmare - donors treated by upper CBS management as cattle, no more than a "meat sack" to get free blood product from, just a #number to them - front line staff takes all of the crap and none of the recognition for a job well done, and are treated as if they are disposable - terrible moral and high turnover - managers only show up on high profile events to "take credit" for their *cough* hard work

Advice to Management

- they won't listen to this, but take better care of your front-line staff! They are why your donors keep coming back to donate blood. They are the ones who deal first hand with these generous people, the ones that make the donors experience a good one, the ones that smile and hold their hands and encourage the donors. Management seems to sit blindly in their offices and make decisions without considering how it affects staff and donors, but who cares because blood donation is a business and no longer a humanitarian effort.

5. Nice place to work

I worked at Canadian Blood Services full-time

Pros

Worked at Canadian Blood Services for a few years and really enjoyed the work atmosphere and the people I worked with. Benefits were great too.

Cons

Found it difficult to advance my career.

6. JM

Former Employee - Phlebotomist (Retired) in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist (Retired) in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Blood Services

Pros

The donors are wonderful! Each day you get to talk to new donors and donors who have become old "friends". Their stories and reasons for donating are all personal and sometime awe inspiring. The front line staff that work with donors are also fabulous to work with. Day in and day out making sure that donors are well cared for, while at the same time ensuring that they are collecting a 100% safe product for the public's use at their time of need.

Cons

Since the inception of CBS in 1998 the only constant has been change!!! It has been hard to keep up with all the upheavals we have had to endure over the years, not knowing one year to the next if there would be a job or what that job would look like in terms of days and hours and would it be enough to support yourself on. Managers seem to change as often as socks, which doesn't give for very good team relations.

Advice to Management

Remember that the front end staff are your bread and butter. They are the ones that see the donors and collect the blood. They are the ones that create a relationship with the donors. We know that other aspects of the company are important, but the company fails without blood! So value your employees and your donors!!!! Listen to their comments and their suggestions. Sometimes they might be good ones!!!

7. You

Current Employee - Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Donors are the very best.Not treated as best thing.

Cons

Managers,supervisors do not care about their staff.About the money only.Limited communication or none towards staff.Bad moral problem everywhere.No people sense whatsoever!

Advice to Management

Clean them all out and get new management.

Program Clerk

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They save people's lives. Good pay and benefits, 3 weeks vacation to start.

Cons

Don't seem to listen to front line staff.

Advice to Management

Actually take what we say and use it. Don't just say you're listening, do it. Stop wasting money on office supplies that just get tossed.

9. Best place to work and lot to learn.

Current Employee - Volunteer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services

Pros

I'm a new Graduate Student of Medical Lab Technician . I applied many place to work but i got no reply but Canadian Blood Service give me a chance to work with them least as a volunteer and I'm learning new thinks every day.

Cons

Working as a volunteer. not getting a chance to do what i learn in school.

Advice to Management

Give new graduates chance and belive inn them.

Phlebotomist Review

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great staff to work with! Donors are so nice and happy to be there

Cons

hours cut every year.. Be prepared to work less and less each year.

Advice to Management

Go spend a week in a clinic observing what front line staff do and put up with each day.

I enjoyed my job very much, and was sad to see I could not get another one ,because of one employee.

Former Employee - Dsr in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Former Employee - Dsr in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Blood Services full-time

Pros

The best things about working at CBS is the people you work with and the job it self. I enjoyed my job and the people I shared it with, I loved going out on mobiles and meeting the donors.

Cons

Some of the down sizes are. when some employees just don't care for you and want you out. Which happened to me.

Advice to Management

I think that if management gets a report from some employee about another one, they should investigate the report. Not take the one that put in the report word for it. I think that if that had been done I would be still working there at the job and company I enjoy.

RSS Feed </> Embed