Canadian Coast Guard Reviews

3.7
Canadian Coast Guard Commissioner Jody Thomas
Jody Thomas

1. My Career

Current Employee - Marine Engineer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marine Engineer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Coast Guard

Pros

I enjoyed 32 years working with Canadian Coast Guard, being part of protecting our Canadian Waters, helping other mariners, the marine environment and waterways. I earned a good living for my family and now a pension. I continue to work there as a relief person. It is a proud feeling to be part of this group and all the services it provides. I am retired but still want to remain and do a small part to contribute to our Marine Community.

Cons

Being away from home and missing a part of family life

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue to lobby Government for new vessels

2. Deck Hand

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Kingston, ON (Canada)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Kingston, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Coast Guard as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting role with lots of variety in duties and responsibilities; opportunities to grow; strong team work culture, and work with high calibre colleagues

Cons

Uncertainty of contract roles can be stressful but you need to trust strong performers will be invited back for additional tours and contracts

Advice to Management

Thanks

3. enjoyed the helicopter rides to visit the lightstations.

Former Employee - Accounting Clerk/Switchboard in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Accounting Clerk/Switchboard in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Coast Guard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I found all the Managers of the departments very easy to speak with, They were always very understanding and always there to help when something came up you were not familiar with. I always came away at the end of the day happy and not stressed.

Cons

I don't have anything to say negatively.

Advice to Management

Continue to be patient when a new clerk is hired so he or she has time to absorb all the areas of the Coast Guard areas.

5. Coxswain and Crew Member for the IRB Program

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Canadian Coast Guard as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Best student job in Canada. 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. Good Pay: 14.21$/h as crew. and 19.21$/h as Coxswain. Work on a boat.

Cons

You need to stay in the same place for 14 days.

6. Pretty good job - could be more challenging. Not much room for growth unless you really kiss up.

Current Employee - Officer in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Officer in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Coast Guard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good leave system. Good overtime compensation. Great location

Cons

Rotational 12 hour shifts. No real training or learning plan. Nearly impossible to advance. Poor management structure. Poor leadership. Majority or management positions are filled on an "Acting" basis = no direction or decisions. Caretaker leaders.... not very motivational.

Advice to Management

Spend some time and money developing a leadership profile. Train supervisors.

7. Good money, burn out at an early age

I worked at Canadian Coast Guard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary, normally with yearly cost of living increase. Prior to 2012, good job security. Advancement if university grad & don't mind relocating but must be very driven & ambitious. Union stands up for employees. Equal opportunity employer - accommodates disabilities. Safety is taken seriously. Some senior management really do listen.

Cons

Too white - unless it is downtown in a big city, there were only caucasians hired. Very clique-ish - at smaller sites, if you don't "conform" you are ostracized & bullied. Chain of command usually means 2 levels up protects the butt of the level above you. Old Boys Club - I heard this term SO often, I wondered how it could still exist but apparently it does. Change is a bad word unless it is Ottawa forcing it upon you, then it must be embraced & there are meetings to encourage you to do so.

Advice to Management

Look very closely at hiring trends and assign someone else to do the job if employees don't reflect the nationalities available in that province. Look at stress levels of lower management and find better ways to support them. Just because someone "talks the talk" & has a degree, does not mean they make a good manager. Have evaluations flow in both directions & look at what the lower levels have to say about their supervisors for the real story. Base bonuses for PM classifications and above on evaluations of their employees, not statistics.

8. Think twice before wanting to work under a contract for years with no benifits for long periods away from friends and fa

Current Employee - Leading Seaman in Sarnia, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Leading Seaman in Sarnia, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Coast Guard

Pros

The only good thing is that there is hardley any work to do as the CCG is not a enforcement agency and is only involved in search and rescue as needed or fixes and replaces aids to navigation (as needed) other than that just sail around or sit at a dock wait to be needed for something.

Cons

boring no special skills needed to work as a deckhand. No involment in enforcment activities no firearms or helicopters . lowest pay of all emergency services in canada.

Advice to Management

USE COMMON SENSE! Beocme a marine enforcement agency and train the people to have a meaningful job.Without advancing to that our work and usefulness just keeps getting less and less. Listen to and ask the employee who actually do the hands on work what would work best!

9. Sail at your own risk.

Current Employee - Engineering Officer in Sarnia, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Engineering Officer in Sarnia, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Coast Guard

Pros

The job is very rewarding in that the clients see an immediate result when they require a service from the Coast Guard. The organization has a very hands on, and 'can do' attitude that sees us do many things with less people, and material support. There are many occasions for instant job satisfaction such as the completion of a search and rescue, or the successful escort of a ship through ice.

Cons

The same lack of personel and material support. Also the wages are now sorely lacking compared to the private sector. There was a time when the public sector jobs were seen as the better job environment, but private companies are now providing more support to sea going personel in order to provide them with a better life-work balance such as the ability to bring spouses aboard ships for part of the cruise and financial support for ongoing education. The government could take a page from the private sector in these regards.

Advice to Management

I would advise them to recognize their employees in the Fleet more, and reward the many that do exemplary work.

RSS Feed </> Embed