Canadian Natural

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Canadian Natural President Steve W. Laut

Steve W. Laut

Good Company

Electrical Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

ProsGood people, great pay, food is not too bad in the camp and great work experience

ConsWorking in the camp can get boring after a while. Lacks proper training before job begins. Students are thrown into the mix.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training/support system for the students would be nice.

Sweat Shop

Field Engineer Lead (Current Employee)

ProsStock options, savings plan, healthcare coverage, 10% uplift in field, fly in/fly out, tax credit allowance for transportation, etc

ConsSignificant amount of politics in middle management
    Long hours - be expected to work 20+ hours for more than 3 months.
    No paid OT. Overtime hours are banked but restricted to when and how many days you can take as vacation
    Complete disregard for employee well being and work/life balance
    LOTS of micromanaging
    Safety is not a priority

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider reorganization in parts of the middle management. A lot of the messages from the corporate office are getting lost through trickles of middle managements and leads. Some of the leads are not necessarily doing what is best for the company and managers are too focused on personal agenda. This leads to employees being overworked, under-appreciated, and overall a very stressful and toxic environment. Be expected to sweat and complete things at all cost. Don't question safety.
    There are much better working environments to be had.

Coop Experience

Accounting Student (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood work culture; great people to work along with

Consresponsibilities can be very limited; as an observer promotion within the company can be quite tough

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Greaaat Company

Shovel Specialist (Current Employee) Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

ProsReal open doors policy, best team work enviroment,yes I know, that sound to good to be true, but the thing is, it is all about perspectives, been an expat with experience in very diferent cultures, believe me, this is a great place to work, my boss understand the chalenges of my position, my co workers are positive hardworkers and willing to help and learn every time, you cant ask for any thing better than that.

ConsWe need more people, this company is expanding fast

Advice to Senior ManagementCongratulate those with 5, 10, 15 etc. aniversary with tickets to the Las Vegas Mining show and other related, that will put a big smile on the most loyal people that we have.

Overall a very good place to work as a student intern

Engineering Co-op Student (Current Employee) Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

ProsGreat place to gain insight and knowledge of the oil and gas industry. People are friendly and helpful. You will be given real responsibilities and projects that will impact directly the workings of the plant. Hence, it is a very good learning experience.

ConsLong work hours (6:30am-4:30pm). Lack of an established program in place to develop students into knowledgeable engineers.

Coop intern at CNRL - Calgary

(Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros- flexible hours
    - good work/life balance
    - good compensation
    - excellent guidance from supervisor
    - prompt feedback of quality of work
    - comprehensive work term reviews
    - relocation assistance

Cons- Relatively long process to getting access to certain software/programs in the office setting for student interns, which means for a short work term, you may not get to experience higher level tasks since access to programs would not be granted on time

Learn and Run as Fast as you Can

Production Accountant (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood work environment, good hours, pretty flexible. Great company to start your career and leave as soon as you can.

ConsProperties are always changing. meaning it feels like they don't give opportunity to improve the processes. Since you are always trying to catch with learning a new desk. Bonuses are only good for upper management. they suck for everybody else in Accounting. they are always hiring, because people are always leaving. They are all about promoting all the friends and not always the best suited people.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue more your employees, so the talent doesn't leave the company.

Good people to work for

Field Operator (Former Employee) Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

ProsOppurtunities to move up, good salary, learning from their mistake

ConsCheap company, paying for past mistakes, low annaul bonuses, far from town

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to fix the mistakes made in a poorly built upgrader.

Employees are shareholders

Business Analysis (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsStock options on hiring are good. Salaries and benefits are reasonable. Staff are kept busy, and the more you're willing to do, the more you'll be given.

ConsMany of the roles are narrow and deep. Therefore staff get bored and tend to change jobs every few years. It is a command and control company, with the standard share of bullies in management. It is a big company trying to operate like a small one - sometimes it works and frequently causes unnecessary problems.

mail clerk

Prosgood benefits and good perks

Conslow salary and small chances to move up

Worked for Canadian Natural? Contribute to the Community!