Canadian Pacific Railway

Updated February 22, 2015
2.2

Canadian Pacific Railway President and CEO E. Hunter Harrison
E. Hunter Harrison

Pros
  • There aren't many pros to consider besides pay and benefits (in 4 reviews)

• Very nice place to work at with plenty of great people ready and willing to help out the newbies, or those changing careers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • If you appreciate a strong work/life balance, do not take a position here (in 12 reviews)

• no work life balance, poor upper management attitude (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

CP is working to get into the twentieth century.

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway

Pros

CP is moving from an external IT service model to an internal IT service model. The company has good benefits and a good bonus plan.

Cons

CP is similar to most railroad companies -- they are still using "the good old boys" method of promotion.

CP needs to become more diverse in its management ranks. Women are capable of running departments and companies.

They pay you for your time

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Money is incredible, retirement benefits are awesome, people you work along side become your family, did I say the money you make is incredible. Working to establish a set schedule. Trying to keep you at home a little longer.

Cons

Away from home for 18-28 hours, no one can seem to make a decision, turn over is very high

Leave the guys alone and let them run trains, make decisions on your own

Great place for IT Professionals

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway

Pros

Good pay and lost of technology. Great place to learn from knowledgable teammates. Management is good about listening and working together as a team. Yes some weeks are long but its exciting to accomplish great things.

Cons

A lot to get done and some weeks are long.

None

Want a work/life balance? Look elsewhere. One of the Worst IT Department I worked for

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is on a average to better scale, benefits are good, Workplace is in downtown.

Cons

Absolutely No Work/life balance & don't expect its existence in IT. You're expected to be available 24x7 irrespective of your On-Call Status. No Processes exists and Outdated Procedures making it a very unsuitable Workplace for any one with a family. Fear & Intimidation are constantly being used in IT which completely turns down anyone's Morale. If you have a senior set of skills, or value your opinion being heard; stay as far away from here as possible. No Involvement from the Senior Management who are based out of Canada and the front line management continue to use bad culture to get things done and no escalation path exists.

Get engaged & do evaluations towards higher employee turnover rate. Senior management has to work with the employees directly & change the work culture to be a better & safe model. Be open to making changes and improvements & appreciate the efforts.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Legal in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Legal in Houston, TX

I worked at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of support, family-oriented, great team-building

Cons

I had a very positive experience with this company and can think if nothing that I would try to improve upon

I used to work for the company until they "decided to hire a younger replacement for half the price"

Former Employee - Financial in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Financial in Chicago, IL

I worked at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay was decent and because it was a railroad, benefits were also good. When I started it was the great people I worked with-until they all were let go, quit or retired!
    It was a great company to work for DME (Regional) until the CP took it over

Cons

AGE DISCRIMINATION! Too much management disconnect!

Your employees are you best asset if you could ever figure that out!

They call our CEO Harassment Harrison for a reason !

Current Employee - Freight Conductor in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Freight Conductor in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is Scale in most crafts, much better pay then a Shortline/Regional Railroad.

Fellow works all seem to get along and our willing to help each other get home alive at the end of the day.

Medical Benefits are better then most jobs
    Retirement benefits are good

Cons

Constant Harassment from Managers to produce work over safety

Constant Changing of Management

Managers have little or no experience

Very Long Work hours in very brutal weather conditions

24/7 operation requires 24/7 availability, so little work/life balance

Constant changing of the way business is conducted.

Its kind of unfortunate.not only does Senior management treat the employees like dirt. they treat the Front Line managers even worse. That being said, nobody in the ranks with experience wants the job of Front Line management, so Senior Management is forced to hire managers who managed before in other areas , but not in Railroading.

What you get in the final equation is Front Line Management with ZERO railroad experience in charge of employees with 15 plus years, That does not work well in any situation.

Harassment to produce more work over safety. Employees have been denied breaks and Lunches. Employees have been denied time to warm up in 30 bellow temp, Employees have been denied time to cool down on days of over 100 degree heat index. Problem is Railroads our not governed by the State Law, but by Federal Law. So the states cannot force CP to protect our welfare on the JOB...Meaning if the CP wants to work you 12 hours with no breaks, no lunches, no time to warm up or cool down, the CP can. No other Railroad treats men like this.

Because of Harassment of Frontline Management by Senior Management to produce unrealistic results, Frontline managers our starting and quitting shortly after. This is a MAJOR problem! Just as crews get adjusted to a particle style of management, that Front line manager up a quits.....Leaving the employees in a constant state of "So who is my boss today?"

Employees our quitting in droves, loss of 25% of your ex[erianced work force in a years time is unsettling to the moral of employees that stay.

Because of all this. you have employees and Frontline management in a constant state of struggle and hostility. Nobody and I mean Nobody in the Ranks cares if the company perform well or not....In fact most employees come to work now, who USED to come to work hard and make CP a proud company, come to work with HOW CAN I SCREW THE RAILROAD TODAY. As you can understand that brings moral to an all time low.

There our plenty of other Railroads to work for, that if you do your searching on glassdoor, have very good ratings, only 28% recommend CP to a friend...The other Railroads our much much much hire in approval ratings. That being said, at this time stay clear of the CP unless you use them to "get your foot in the door" and leave for another railroad quickly.

Started out great, but seriously going down hill, and quickly.

Current Employee - Train Dispatcher in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Train Dispatcher in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway

Pros

The pay is Great. The benefits are Great.

Cons

I've been with CP Rail for over 20 years. It used to be fantastic. I used to look forward to going to work. Ever since the Hunter Harris takeover, it is the most hostile environment. Everyone is always on pins and needles.

Get some stones. Stop being so moldable. You are not playdo. Fight for what you believe in. Trust the people you manage to do the jobs they are qualified to do, and have there backs. Happy employees are productive employees.

Don't work in IT in Minneapolis if you don't want to be bullied by the Canadian Management

Current Employee - Information Technology in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Can not think of any compared to other IT companies in the Minneapolis Twin Cities metro area. Work here only if you do not have any other options.

Cons

IT in Minneapolis is fully controlled by Management in Canada and they are not competent and they use a culture of fear and intimidation to get things done. Work life balance is terrible, the work hours are very long, and there is no appreciation. Canada IT Management have been with the company for 15+ years and are not willing to make changes or improvements. Pay is about 15% below market and they deduct a percentage of your pay where you are not eligible to withdraw the money until you have completed 3 years with the company. Expect to be required to go on a "train conductor training" even if you work in IT where you will spend weeks in dirty train yards and travel on company commercial trains for months to become a "train conductor".

Stop using fear and intimidation and be open to making changes and improvements.

Worst place in the world.

Former Employee - Conductor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Conductor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None. Any positive reviews on this are from company plants. I used to have nothing but good things to say about the company. After Harrison the place turned into a nightmare.

Cons

If you want to be treated poorly and managed by incompetent lunatics this is the place for you. If you want a life and a workplace where you are treated with dignity and respect dont work here. I worked here for over ten years. I thought it would be tough to leave but after being abused by the Hunters henchmen for years now I have no regrets.

Learn basic respect for other people. Perhaps showing that you have a empathy for people may hep too.