Canadian Pacific Railway

Be The First To
Add Photos

Canadian Pacific Railway President and CEO E. Hunter Harrison

E. Hunter Harrison

Pros
  • Very nice place to work at with plenty of great people ready and willing to help out the newbies, or those changing careers(in 5 reviews)

• Good pension, good co-workers and work-life balance(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • If you appreciate a strong work/life balance, do not take a position here(in 9 reviews)

• Middle management afraid to contradict upper management causing "group think"(in 5 reviews)

Great IS Technology and Team in Minneapolis

Information Technology (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat Pay and state of the art VCE vBlock Technology. Tier 1 Railway with GREAT Benefits and Pension Plan!!
    Great new team of individuals. Hunter has taken a fallen Railroad from 40.00 a share to 200.00 a share.

ConsIn the process of building a new IS Team from being out-scourced to HP & IBM. This everything is being in-sourced there are a lot of challenges and opportunities to make things better. At the moment and through the end of 2014 there is a lot going on, but management is working hard to make the "work/life balance" possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going in the right direction. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

The moment you're hired, they try to fire you.

Conductor (Current Employee) Saratoga Springs, NY

ProsThere aren't many pros to consider besides pay and benefits.

ConsNo schedule
    Berated by management
    Trains never make it to destination in under 12 hours

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. We are not "bottom of the barrel scum." Some of the guys/girls working out here have the knowledge and ideas that could improve production and morale if someone just took time to listen and acknowledge that.

From former DM&E Line

Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThe people you work with, NOT including managers. You have a job, can't think of anything else.

ConsPay is not up to par with regular CP and definitely not other railroads. A separate contract probably has much to do with it.

Crew Office doesn't call the orders they are supposed to. Just when you think you won't be getting called you do and when you bring up the calling order they are "supposed" to follow they threaten you with a miscall. Do everything they can to reset your clock so you don't get any time off. Even if you have time off coming they always deny it (a couple days a month not having to answer the phone wouldn't be too much to ask would it?) No, we don't have scheduled days off like other railroads.

Managers & Trainmasters with little to no experience railroading with BIG chips on their shoulders.

I've worked for many different companies over the years, plus military service, and this is by far the worst I have ever seen/experienced. This place treats people like crap, worse than an ugly stray dog that's flee bitten. It's no wonder people are leaving in droves or looking to get out, including me.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people like people. We have families and don't "live to work", we "work to live". Belittling, yelling, threatening or swearing at people get you no respect so don't expect it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My life on the Railroad

Desk Top Renewal Technician (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsVery nice place to work at with plenty of great people ready and willing to help out the newbies, or those changing careers. It is a comfortable and relaxed work environment and I look forward to coming in to work each day.

ConsSometimes doing the asset management programs I need to have 3 or 4 spreadsheets open at the same time and do searches in them as well and it gets confusing.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and you will keep good workers

Conductor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood job, got to go home every night, no staying in hotels

Consmanagers were terrible, pay not on the level of other big rails

Advice to Senior Managementget a life

Want a work/life balance? Look elsewhere

Information Technology (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsPay is above average, benefits are very good. US HQ in downtown Minneapolis which is nice.

ConsWork/life balance is non-existent in IT. You're expected to be available 24x7, whether on-call or not. NOT a job for someone with a family. Horrible morale in IT with constant turnover. Outdated or non-existent processes and procedures.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe all know IT is in a state of "transition" at CP Rail. That's not an excuse for the horrible work/life balance. Stop the employee turnover, hire a full stuff and retain them, and hire contractors to help if needed. If you want a 24x7 support staff, hire for it. Leadership by fear doesn't work well in today's world. There are too many other opportunities available to deal with that style of management.

Terrible Place to work now

ProsIf you have no conscience and enjoy stepping all over people to get ahead, you will go far now. Above average pay.

Conshostile work environment, culture of fear, no loyalty to employees or associates, no union presence on site, employees are encouraged to turn on each other to avoid being responsible themselves.

Advice to Senior Managementconsider working for a company you can be proud of. shame on you for only worrying about yourself

Do not work in IT in Minneapolis MN

Information Technology (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsNothing you can't find at another employer if you look hard enough.

ConsIf you have a senior set of skills, or value your opinion being heard; stay as far away from here as possible. Remember you read this if you decide to take the job anyway, and not truly listen to the bad reviews, and understand why the star rating on here is less than 3. There are good reasons for that! If you appreciate a strong work/life balance, do not take a position here. You will have issues on the home front in a very short period of time! Managers have been trained to remind you that it's your fault, not their fault.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank your lucky stars that you have recruitors walking around the cruise deck telling everyone it's going to be okay; even though we've already hit the iceberg and we're taking on water. For the rest of you, ask the recruitors if they have any other options first. What they tell you in the interview process is the furthest thing from the truth in actual day to day activities.

stay away for now

Conductor (Current Employee)

Prosnot much for right now

Consno life work first no life

Advice to Senior Managementtreat employees at human not tools

Gained great experience but overall experience was horrible; I dreaded going in every day.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGained great experience that helped me to further determine what my career interests were.

ConsYelling at your employees doesn't constitute as training. Depending on the mood of the manager that day, someone always got yelled at. Environment was hostile and condescending. I have never worked in such a negative work environment before. I tried to empathize with my manager's work load and we had a neutral relationship, but overall, I don't think the manager realized leadership was not her forte.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR practices are ehh. Your increased turnover is the reason why you're constantly rushed to hire crap talent. Focus on your employees - you overwork them and need to listen to what they're saying.

Worked for Canadian Pacific Railway? Contribute to the Community!