Canadian Pacific Railway

Updated September 20, 2014
2.0

Canadian Pacific Railway President and CEO E. Hunter Harrison
E. Hunter Harrison

Pros
  • Very nice place to work at with plenty of great people ready and willing to help out the newbies, or those changing careers (in 5 reviews)

• Good pension, good co-workers and work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • If you appreciate a strong work/life balance, do not take a position here (in 9 reviews)

• Middle management afraid to contradict upper management causing "group think" (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place

Current Employee - Conductor  in  Bensenville, IL
    Current Employee - Conductor in Bensenville, IL

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Awesome co workers
    Great hours
    Great pay

Cons

None that I can think of

Keep up the great work

It used to be great working for CP, not any longer.

Current Employee - Train Dispatcher  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Train Dispatcher in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The pay and benefits are quite good.

Cons

Management changes constantly. It changes so much lately that I don't know who my superiors are from day to day. They do not understand that happy employees are much more productive employees. They don't understand that employees that are constantly in fear for their job, Do not make productive employees nor do they make Safe employees. I have worked here over 20 years and I have never seen morale so low. The saddest thing is I don't see this getting any better anytime soon. We need Management that wants to stick around for a while and care, just plain care. Employees are assets. They keep the company strong, if you keep them strong and secure.

Stick around for a while. Take heed of long standing employees. They are filled with a wealth of knowledge. You might be amazed.

It WAS a great company to work for....

Pros

The Pay, and the union

Cons

lack of knowledge from management, and everything else

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great IS Technology and Team in Minneapolis

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Pay and state of the art VCE vBlock Technology. Tier 1 Railway with GREAT Benefits and Pension Plan!!
    Great new team of individuals. Hunter has taken a fallen Railroad from 40.00 a share to 200.00 a share.

Cons

In the process of building a new IS Team from being out-scourced to HP & IBM. This everything is being in-sourced there are a lot of challenges and opportunities to make things better. At the moment and through the end of 2014 there is a lot going on, but management is working hard to make the "work/life balance" possible.

Keep going in the right direction. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

The moment you're hired, they try to fire you.

Current Employee - Conductor  in  Saratoga Springs, NY
    Current Employee - Conductor in Saratoga Springs, NY

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time for more than a year

Pros

There aren't many pros to consider besides pay and benefits.

Cons

No schedule
    Berated by management
    Trains never make it to destination in under 12 hours

Listen to your employees. We are not "bottom of the barrel scum." Some of the guys/girls working out here have the knowledge and ideas that could improve production and morale if someone just took time to listen and acknowledge that.

My life on the Railroad

Current Employee - Desk Top Renewal Technician  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Desk Top Renewal Technician in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very nice place to work at with plenty of great people ready and willing to help out the newbies, or those changing careers. It is a comfortable and relaxed work environment and I look forward to coming in to work each day.

Cons

Sometimes doing the asset management programs I need to have 3 or 4 spreadsheets open at the same time and do searches in them as well and it gets confusing.

Keep up the good work and you will keep good workers

Conductor

I worked at Canadian Pacific Railway

Pros

good job, got to go home every night, no staying in hotels

Cons

managers were terrible, pay not on the level of other big rails

get a life

Want a work/life balance? Look elsewhere

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is above average, benefits are very good. US HQ in downtown Minneapolis which is nice.

Cons

Work/life balance is non-existent in IT. You're expected to be available 24x7, whether on-call or not. NOT a job for someone with a family. Horrible morale in IT with constant turnover. Outdated or non-existent processes and procedures.

We all know IT is in a state of "transition" at CP Rail. That's not an excuse for the horrible work/life balance. Stop the employee turnover, hire a full stuff and retain them, and hire contractors to help if needed. If you want a 24x7 support staff, hire for it. Leadership by fear doesn't work well in today's world. There are too many other opportunities available to deal with that style of management.

Terrible Place to work now

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you have no conscience and enjoy stepping all over people to get ahead, you will go far now. Above average pay.

Cons

hostile work environment, culture of fear, no loyalty to employees or associates, no union presence on site, employees are encouraged to turn on each other to avoid being responsible themselves.

consider working for a company you can be proud of. shame on you for only worrying about yourself

Do not work in IT in Minneapolis MN

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing you can't find at another employer if you look hard enough.

Cons

If you have a senior set of skills, or value your opinion being heard; stay as far away from here as possible. Remember you read this if you decide to take the job anyway, and not truly listen to the bad reviews, and understand why the star rating on here is less than 3. There are good reasons for that! If you appreciate a strong work/life balance, do not take a position here. You will have issues on the home front in a very short period of time! Managers have been trained to remind you that it's your fault, not their fault.

Thank your lucky stars that you have recruitors walking around the cruise deck telling everyone it's going to be okay; even though we've already hit the iceberg and we're taking on water. For the rest of you, ask the recruitors if they have any other options first. What they tell you in the interview process is the furthest thing from the truth in actual day to day activities.

Worked for Canadian Pacific Railway? Contribute to the Community!