Canadian Pacific Railway Reviews

Reset
2.3
Canadian Pacific Railway President and CEO E. Hunter Harrison
E. Hunter Harrison

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are quite good (in 4 reviews)

• Very nice place to work at with plenty of great people ready and willing to help out the newbies, or those changing careers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is non-existent in IT (in 12 reviews)

• no work life balance, poor upper management attitude (in 6 reviews)

Help Desk

Former Employee - Help Desk in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Help Desk in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Canadian Pacific Railway

Pros

Decent Benefits, health, pension, etc. Discount for onsite parking or public transportation. Easy dress code.

Cons

Work/life balance doesn't seem to exist. Top management doesn't seem to understand the role of IT staff.

Advice to Management

When the bottom line is the only concern you will continue to lose valuable employees.

Company is going down hill.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you like good pay this is the job for you.

Cons

You may not be home much and work becomes your life.

Advice to Management

Do not intimidate you employees. you should reward the people that work hard for you and not punish them. The ones that never get in trouble are the ones that hide and do not do any work.

Locomotive Engineer

Former Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Mason City, IA
    Former Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Mason City, IA

I worked at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

stable work, good family insurance at an affordable price, provided most of PPE to employees, year around work, good place to train in railroad industry

Cons

terrible management, nobody in management would help you with anything, try to hurry you out the door regardless of your work load or responsibilities towards safety,

Advice to Management

Need to become more professional in dealing with everyone fairly without playing favorites, take some classes on professional leadership roles, give an occasional pat on back for a job well done

Conductor

Current Employee - Conductor in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Conductor in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay if you don't have a desirable degree that costed you eighty grand and benefits. The hours are something to get used to but then again so is being broke.

Cons

Depends who you are. The hours and shifts can be lousy and the management can be terrible but suck it up. We get paid good for what we do. The biggest thing is the rule complaints but I think the biggest con is paying 180 a month for union dues for the company to do whatever they want to anyway. You can't strike so the union has NO power! Period. So 180 a month is more or less an extra tax you see nothing from. Lots of guys cry but hey, quit. So the worst I see is the complaining.

Advice to Management

I hope to get everyone to follow the rules you have in place 100% and damn to how long it takes! If I have to take four hours to switch two cars so be it, they're your rules I'm following.

Railroading Ain't for Everybody

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Times have changed since Hunter took over and some people have lost their jobs in the process but if you wanted to work or transfer departments CP always had a job for you. The pay is great considering that not a lot of education is required you make really good money! Moving so much freight is fulfilling when you really think about it.

Cons

It can be an intense environment at times but everyone is expected to work with a sense of urgency. If you don't want to be here you will be dealt with accordingly. The culture before Harrison was too relaxed and there was hardly rule testing and now that operation managers are on the ground doing their jobs everyone is offended. Do your job efficiently and safely and their won't be a problem.

Advice to Management

Offer more training for managers.

7. Horrible

I worked at Canadian Pacific Railway

Pros

I can honestly say that the only positive is the pay. I've heard of people making six figures a year as a conductor when it is only their 2nd year on the job.

Cons

They seriously need to do a complete overhaul of the way they train their conductors. There is way too much emphasis placed on classroom training and memorizing the GCOR and not enough time spent out in the field actually learning the job duties. On top of that, there isn't special training for conductors on how to teach people who are just starting out their careers. I experienced verbal abuse, and almost got into a fight with someone who was frustrated that I didn't quite know as much about railroading as he did. There are other negatives about this company, like work-life balance and the management, but I won't go into that here.

Advice to Management

I hope your job is automated in the future. That is all I have to say. At least that would make up for your lack of courage to stand up to corrupt and vile people within this company.

8. THE TRUTH

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is exceptionally good, the majority of men and women that work their are great to work with. good pension.

Cons

The company was taken over by people that have no clue on how to operate a railroad. They are individuals that where dropouts and flunky's from other railroads. They have been put in charge and couldn't even run a lemonade stand let alone a railroad. The company is run on fear and intimidation. From the day after they hire you they are told to fire you. The company is run by the stock holders and if the shares are not doing well its your fault. Management takes no responsibility for there own mistakes they blame the running trades. Instead of letting the men and women do their jobs they Nano manage everything and try to bust you on some minuet rule that is not relevant to the safety of you, your fellow employees or the safe movement of your train, and if they still cant get you on any of those rules that are in writing they make stuff up off the top of their heads. Safety is not a core value there, move freight at any cost it does not matter what happens we will pay the lawyers to bury it in court or we will cover it up. There is no way I would recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

There are a lot of good people their please leave them alone and just do everyone a favor and quit.

9. Nice Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Great Pension, Salary is good. Lots of growth opportunity. You can get your conductor license

Cons

They don't allow remote worker 5 days a week. 1 or 2 days only. They should award stock options.

Advice to Management

To many process's. And to many hands on projects.

10. Conductor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay especially for beginners. The benefit and coverage is great too......................................................................

Cons

The work schedule is not flexible enough especially for someone who has a young family.........................................................................

Advice to Management

Treat everyone equally regardless of race, colour, and religion..........................................................................

11. Trainees/ Conductor

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway

Pros

great pay skill/full benefits/good training/ steady work/

Cons

I work out of state24/7 call-out

RSS Feed </> Embed