Canadian Pacific Railway

Updated October 24, 2014
2.2

Canadian Pacific Railway President and CEO E. Hunter Harrison
E. Hunter Harrison

Pros
  • There aren't many pros to consider besides pay and benefits (in 4 reviews)

• Very nice place to work at with plenty of great people ready and willing to help out the newbies, or those changing careers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • If you appreciate a strong work/life balance, do not take a position here (in 10 reviews)

• Middle management afraid to contradict upper management causing "group think" (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place

Current Employee - Conductor in Bensenville, IL
    Current Employee - Conductor in Bensenville, IL

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome co workers
    Great hours
    Great pay

Cons

None that I can think of

Keep up the great work

Paid to suffer

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time

Pros

Good pay overall
    Fun co-workers
    Outside a lot

Cons

Management is terrible.. Let me be perfectly honest and say there is a new rule EVERY DAY, and they are insane. We are not respected as conductors or engineers, and for that matter no one respects no one out here. The point should be get train to point B from point A, but instead it's "how can we make people more 'productive'? make them miserable!" We aren't allowed to sit, we have to have PPE on even eating lunch.. but managers don't have to follow their own rules. They are rude, harass employees and say things that even warrant lawsuits on a regular basis. If you look at your gross salary and your net, you'll find that almost HALF of it is gone. someone who makes 80k is really only bringing home 45k. I could go on and on, but baseline, this company isn't worth it because you are NEVER home, you have NO free time you have only 1 sick day a month and no one respects you and treats you like an idiot. DO NOT WORK HERE.

We are people. Not every one is trying to screw you over. We have families and things to do, leaving us on trains for 15 hours out of spite is childish and not a way to run a company. Negative reinforcement never works, you can't even train a dog that way, so how to you expect adults to respect you? We do our work and go home, we don't need to be babysat.

The Iron Fist Two Rails one not talking to the other. May just run off the track two proud countries struggle to make a

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Waterford, MI
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Waterford, MI

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Things are changing see a lot of good things like the IT department huge turn around used to take days or weeks to have a solution to a simple problem solved now many times is solved same day keep it up. We depend on reliable service from you and it does make a huge difference. One major issue is the huge disconnect between upper and field managers. On the down side for the IT department laptop renewals seen to have slowed if not stopped all together. Field managers tend to be young and inexperienced. Upper managers seem to have experience not related to craft. This leaves a huge black hole. Seems the good old boy system is still in place. There are huge benefits to hiring those who excel in there craft to field managers for obvious reasons. Lack of direction and execution of the plan if there is a plan at all. This falls on the CEO directly failing to communicate the plan through out the organization. Seems the employees are running for there lives trying to escape the executioner or hatchet man. These problems create a challenge Mr. Harrison will need to address and that is where do we go from here, how and with who is going to make that possible. There are a lot of very good employees in this company many will be looking for new jobs if they have not started already given the climate at the moment. Problem greedy middle managers stripped the knowledge from the workforce refusing to transfer knowledge in fear of there jobs being taken over by new hires. The railroad is a culture of knowledge greed. As the old heads leave they take with them the knowledge and experience of many years. These were the people who made it up through the ranks the right way there knowledge. An aggressive retraining program will take care of this and move us into the next phase. An aggressive maintenance program across all crafts to bring the system up to current standards of a class 1 railroad. This railroad was run into the ground due to middle and upper manager bonuses. Upper managers and field managers need to drive these programs in an efficient prioritized manor. Knowing where we are and where we need to be is key making use of manpower and driving that towards a goal is critical. Labor shortage issues are not helping bring calm to the forces. Love it take a new hire send to school for two to four weeks and throw them to the dogs and it sink or swim. This is never the best policy need a mentoring program put in place cross functional supplier becomes the customer customer becomes the supplier. Walk a mile in my shoes see what I see do what I do help each other change for the better. Image is everything I have heard some good things but seems to have lost steam not sure what happened. Underlying problems and issues. Cross border communications you have two very proud companies and countries merging together very difficult situation. Can it be done yes can it be sustained yes but how. I call it the battle at the border two separate divisions that function separately and in competition. Separate everything and compete for the most efficient operation to the yearly winner goes the trophy. The winner redundancy IT wins. This may be considered a step backwards for some but the benefits are huge 100% system up times. Local and direct service from your division people you will actually see once a year. True coordination will be mandatory and necessary in a non threatening manner to all involved. You all know what I am talking about I hope this is a very deep and sensitive issue. We support our cross border brothers and sisters and they support us.

Cons

There are no cons just convicts. A conviction to succeed a conviction to achieve a conviction to build a great company. That is beneficial to all involved. Share in the labor and you will be tired not fired. Share in the rewards and you will be rewarded. Share in the success and you will be successful.

Dig in look at the whole picture dig dig dig there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel. Question everything look twice then look again. Ask why solve solve solve. Cooperation is there use it don`t abuse it.

It used to be great working for CP, not any longer.

Current Employee - Train Dispatcher in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Train Dispatcher in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are quite good.

Cons

Management changes constantly. It changes so much lately that I don't know who my superiors are from day to day. They do not understand that happy employees are much more productive employees. They don't understand that employees that are constantly in fear for their job, Do not make productive employees nor do they make Safe employees. I have worked here over 20 years and I have never seen morale so low. The saddest thing is I don't see this getting any better anytime soon. We need Management that wants to stick around for a while and care, just plain care. Employees are assets. They keep the company strong, if you keep them strong and secure.

Stick around for a while. Take heed of long standing employees. They are filled with a wealth of knowledge. You might be amazed.

It WAS a great company to work for....

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Pay, and the union

Cons

lack of knowledge from management, and everything else

Bullies - all of them

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pros.... Hard to come by. I'd say pay, and co-workers (non-management)

Cons

Ready for the laundry list?!
    Every person is held to a different standard. Customers mean nothing to this place. It's all about $$$. Management has NO back bone. It's very easy to talk them into a circle and they all forget their name.

Treat everyone the same regardless of race, age, years of service. Mistakes happen and instead of putting ppl on unpaid days off maybe there's a break in training OR better yet, the person maybe dealing with things too complicated for your pea brains to understand AT HOME. I know I know home? What's that, that's the life ppl prefer to lead instead of being bullied and treated worse than a mange ridden dog. Management needs to take responsibility for their actions, stand up to upper management, fight for the pee ons.... This company is doomed. So many great, hard working and dedicated ppl have left for other railroads and companies. What you have left Hunter Harrison is the ppl that hate their job and are only there to collect a paycheck. The worse kind of employee... Harassment, bullying and belittling need to stop from management. Lawsuit waiting in the wings.

The moment you're hired, they try to fire you.

Current Employee - Conductor in Saratoga Springs, NY

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There aren't many pros to consider besides pay and benefits.

Cons

No schedule
    Berated by management
    Trains never make it to destination in under 12 hours

Listen to your employees. We are not "bottom of the barrel scum." Some of the guys/girls working out here have the knowledge and ideas that could improve production and morale if someone just took time to listen and acknowledge that.

Great IS Technology and Team in Minneapolis

Current Employee - Information Technology in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Pay and state of the art VCE vBlock Technology. Tier 1 Railway with GREAT Benefits and Pension Plan!!
    Great new team of individuals. Hunter has taken a fallen Railroad from 40.00 a share to 200.00 a share.

Cons

In the process of building a new IS Team from being out-scourced to HP & IBM. This everything is being in-sourced there are a lot of challenges and opportunities to make things better. At the moment and through the end of 2014 there is a lot going on, but management is working hard to make the "work/life balance" possible.

Keep going in the right direction. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

My life on the Railroad

Current Employee - Desk Top Renewal Technician in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Desk Top Renewal Technician in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Canadian Pacific Railway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very nice place to work at with plenty of great people ready and willing to help out the newbies, or those changing careers. It is a comfortable and relaxed work environment and I look forward to coming in to work each day.

Cons

Sometimes doing the asset management programs I need to have 3 or 4 spreadsheets open at the same time and do searches in them as well and it gets confusing.

Keep up the good work and you will keep good workers

Conductor

I worked at Canadian Pacific Railway

Pros

good job, got to go home every night, no staying in hotels

Cons

managers were terrible, pay not on the level of other big rails

get a life