Canadian Tire

Canadian Tire President, CEO, and Director Stephen G. Wetmore

Stephen G. Wetmore

199 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

great

Prosgood culture and company overall

Conslow pay, sometimes it feels like it is hard to move up

Advice to Senior Management-

Working at CTC

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat company to work for, excellent benefits

ConsA lot of competition for jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould like to get more access to training

it was awesome

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Surrey, BC (Canada)

Proswork benefits awesome awesome cool

ConsBreaks, bad , decent not much to say

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great!

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Oshawa, ON (Canada)

ProsSafe learning environment
    Great Benefits
    Management team
    Positive financial outlook

ConsSlow to react
    Archaic IT
    No one listens

Great at corp. level but the franchising structure creates competition between stores that hinders sales/customer serv.

Showroom Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsAt the corporate level they seem to be very organized and are constantly in touch with franchises to insure a consistent image. The managers at the franchise where I worked varied greatly like any business, but they do provide the necessary tools to be a good employee. (online & in-store training, personal understanding & support when necessary, etc.)

ConsAs with any retail job, expect to receive a fraction of what you feel you put in to the job in effort as compensation in return. Do keep in mind you likely have no tertiary education (or are currently completing it) if the previous statement applies, so you need to start somewhere. Hours available directly reflect sales numbers which can sometimes cause a vicious cycle in terms of being short-staffed and not being able to provide a consistent level of service (which further hurts sales). Lastly, because the stores are franchised and more often than not all the services such as assembly, repairs, and delivery are outside contracts with other small companies it makes it difficult to help a customer with any issue they may have had with another Canadian Tire franchise.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything I have been witness to in my time at Canadian Tire Corp. Ltd. showed me that it is a well operated company, but as mentioned some issues arise with the franchising.

Find a way to unite all of the stores through services etc. so that Floor Associates and Store Managers from different franchises don't appear to be competing for profit in front of customers.

Some Locations Better Than Others

Customer Services Representative (Former Employee)
    Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsI worked at a location in Waterloo by Ira Needles, and another in Rexdale, Etobicoke at the Customer Service desk. The location in Waterloo was amazing. Justin, the store owner was incredibly friendly, as were all the managers. It was a very positive work experience. I would recommend working there as a student. The location in Rexdale was awful. Management was rude, disrespectful and not supportive. They never wanted to help customers, and encouraged you not to too. The staff was also very lazy.

ConsInconsistency between store locations. Discouraging atmosphere at some locations.

so far so good ....

Parts/Automotive (Current Employee)
    Kamloops, BC (Canada)

Prosreasonable folks to work foe and with. enjoy the bossiness of the department. always something to do! they have benefits if you stay for a full year as well as a profit sharing.

Conslow starting pay, no overtime paid.

A large company with a small company feel

Automotive Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Ajax, ON (Canada)

ProsThe company has flexible hours and a great profit sharing plan. There are a lot of locations which means if you are willing to move from store to store you can really speed track a career in retail. The ownership structure of the company is also unique with it having dealers. This in my opinion allows you to have greater control on managing store activities while allowing you to be "your own boss" within a large national company.

ConsUnless you work for the corporation itself good salaries are generally restricted to people in general management/ store management (for the most part). In a busy store there are always abusive customers you have to deal with on a daily basis... This is compounded by the problem that you are generally working with unprofessional non-career oriented staff. Very few people go into retail to start a "career" its one of those industry's that people get thrown into

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate head office should put more effort into hiring from their dealers Internally. I get the feeling that a lot of corporate employees have no idea what workers on the ground floor have experienced. there were a lot of qualified individuals (myself being one of them) that struggled to get any contact with head office for future opportunities.

Working for an associate store

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsGood experience in the customer relation environment. Lots of great opportunities in various stores in the chain across Canada. Good contact with experienced managers in the retail business. Good bonuses and a great expense coverage.

ConsAs a manager, it's a perquisite to do long hours per week, working on weekend and evening(multiple times a week). Pay was not very good, benefits were ok. In my experience, there's not enough HR in each store to deal with environment and welfare of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementRequieres a better training ressource for new employees. Improve relation with employees by having an HR Rep in each store.

Very negative atmosphere, even the customers feel and hear it !

Manager (Former Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsCould be a great start to learn the hardware industry, especially if you have interests in any of the departments. Great e-learning that covers majority of departments, including Safety Training and WHMIS.

ConsAs a retailer, they are way behind in technology, not only the equipment but the programs as well. Very difficult to use, user guides not up to date and feel like you fend for yourself as no one person knows how to train on whole system nor do they want to encourage cross training on the computer systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers are very "old school" and quick to defend employees that have been there a long time even though they give the worst customer service. They need to take a course in change management and the franchisee needs to open his eyes and listen to the degrading or lack of communication that happens on the floor.

Worked for Canadian Tire? Contribute to the Community!

Canadian Tire Videos

Canadian Tire – Why Work for Us?

Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited is one of Canada's most-shopped general retailers and the country's largest sporting goods retailer, with more than 1,700 retail and gasoline outlets from coast-to-coast. Our primary… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Canadian Tire reviews and ratings in Canada — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Canadian Tire CEO Stephen G. Wetmore. All 199 reviews posted anonymously by Canadian Tire employees.