Canadian Tire Reviews

Updated October 28, 2014
3.3

Canadian Tire President, CEO, and Director Stephen G. Wetmore
Stephen G. Wetmore

Pros
  • Great work/life balance; as a student or otherwise, your schedule will be flexible (in 24 reviews)

• Good salary and profit sharing plus you get to work with a good team (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can be tough given intense retail and competitive pressures (in 7 reviews)

• Minimum wage despite extensive experience (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Home Office a great place

I worked at Canadian Tire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I left over ten years ago because I simply did not want to live in Toronto anymore. It was a very difficult decision I had as I was estatic with my career progress. Progressive HR. lots of opportunities to advance and try different areas. Lots of smart passionate people. I loved it when I was there and knew I was on to a good thing. After leaving Ontario and working for a number of other large corps I can now look back and say with 100% certainty they were the best by far. Just so many things good to say and I have always stated to anyone who mentioned it that " If I had wanted to stay in T-O I would likely still be there. If you are currently working the store or looking at CTC - GO FOR IT

Cons

Location - might be a pro for some as it is not downtown but if you have a young family you have a commute - yes I guess everyone does

Disorganised and terrible management and coworkers.

I worked at Canadian Tire

Pros

They hire just about anyone. If you need a job quickly than fill out a form and start that afternoon. The staff room is spacious.

Cons

The management take advantage of you. If you show up on time you can trust they will always only give you the worst shifts. Closing shifts. Management keeps you there past your shift if you're closings, so don't count on ever making post-work plans.

If you want a raise you have to "qualify" by completing E-learning but only on your own time and without compensation.

There are different standards if uniform. If you are like everyone else that means black dress pants with your red shirt tucked in. If you are friends with a manager it means yoga pants and shirt untucked. But it doesn't matter anyways because they spend most of their shift in the break room or smoking outside.

They schedule as few people as possible so if you have to use the bathroom you better run. 13 people will stop you along the way for assistance.

Get a real job.

Very disappointed, Disgusted.

Former Employee - Warehouse Person in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Person in Ontario, CA

I worked at Canadian Tire part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not to many hours, can balance work/home. Some employes are nice.

Cons

Low pay, VERY unorganized, barely any training. Taught myself pretty much everything. Warehouse is so messy and un safe it's ridiculous. It's not a safe working condition at all and at any time a heavy box can fall from the top shelf and hurt someone. No safety is taught or encouraged by the staff or managers. Workload is too heavy for warehouse employees. Never got my breaks until so much later in my shift and sometimes never got them at all. I highly recommend that you do NOT apply at Canadian tire for the Managers are terrible and they need to change the way things are before someone goes back into the warehouse and gets severely hurt.

Train your employees, encourage safety and keep the warehouse clean.

Awesome

I have been working at Canadian Tire

Pros

free tires for life! who could aregue with that@

Cons

have to weat a name tag

keep on trucks

Great people!

Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good life work balance, pro Canada culture. Due to the size of the company there is exposure to lots of different roles, and it provides opportunity to move between departments. The culture is very positive and friendly and I developed a strong network and personal friendships.

Cons

Slow pace of change, a lot of promotions are based on knowing the right people rather than strictly based on performance.

Good solid

Former Employee - Department Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary and profit sharing plus you get to work with a good team

Cons

Angry customers everywhere even if it's not your fault

cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire part-time (less than an year)

Pros

good people to work with, good coaching, lots of details to what the work entails. always busy time flies when the line ups are there, met a lot of nice people

Cons

lots of long hours tanding, people get frustrated with line ups, attitude from customers, short breaks and lots to learn

Great people, hard work, a lot of churn

Former Employee - Co-Op Student in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Co-Op Student in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

- Some of the employees seem to really love what they do (ex. excited about their category)
    - Opportunity to move up
    - Free coffee
    - Decent location on Younge and Egg

Cons

- They work the junior employees really hard (CISs etc.)
    - There's a lot of churn - management was poached by Walmart, Home Depot all the time causing a bit of chaos

- Try not to work your lower level employees so hard, try to get them excited about the company more so they'll stick around

Cheap

Current Employee - Auto Service Advisor in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Auto Service Advisor in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

employee discount on labours and parts

Cons

stay late without get paid

Great people, welcoming culture, lack of growth opportunities.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, very open and welcoming as well as helpful. Great work/life balance. Fun place to work overall with good benefits.

Cons

Salaries are low and have little room for growth. Some departments have leaders that have been around for quite a while and thus are very rigid in their views/opinions on certain topics or ways of doing things.

Increase compensation if you want to attract/keep Canada's best young talent.