Canadian Tire

Canadian Tire Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Canadian Tire President, CEO, and Director Stephen G. Wetmore

Stephen G. Wetmore

Pros:
  • "Great work/life balance; as a student or otherwise, your schedule will be flexible"
    in 22 reviews
  • "The benefits and profit sharing are good but the salary is below average"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance can be tough given intense retail and competitive pressures"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Minimum wage despite extensive experience"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

great

Prosgood culture and company overall

Conslow pay, sometimes it feels like it is hard to move up

Advice to Senior Management-

Disorganised and terrible management and coworkers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey hire just about anyone. If you need a job quickly than fill out a form and start that afternoon. The staff room is spacious.

ConsThe management take advantage of you. If you show up on time you can trust they will always only give you the worst shifts. Closing shifts. Management keeps you there past your shift if you're closings, so don't count on ever making post-work plans.

If you want a raise you have to "qualify" by completing E-learning but only on your own time and without compensation.

There are different standards if uniform. If you are like everyone else that means black dress pants with your red shirt tucked in. If you are friends with a manager it means yoga pants and shirt untucked. But it doesn't matter anyways because they spend most of their shift in the break room or smoking outside.

They schedule as few people as possible so if you have to use the bathroom you better run. 13 people will stop you along the way for assistance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a real job.

Very disappointed, Disgusted.

Warehouse Person (Former Employee)
    Ontario, CA

ProsNot to many hours, can balance work/home. Some employes are nice.

ConsLow pay, VERY unorganized, barely any training. Taught myself pretty much everything. Warehouse is so messy and un safe it's ridiculous. It's not a safe working condition at all and at any time a heavy box can fall from the top shelf and hurt someone. No safety is taught or encouraged by the staff or managers. Workload is too heavy for warehouse employees. Never got my breaks until so much later in my shift and sometimes never got them at all. I highly recommend that you do NOT apply at Canadian tire for the Managers are terrible and they need to change the way things are before someone goes back into the warehouse and gets severely hurt.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees, encourage safety and keep the warehouse clean.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome

Prosfree tires for life! who could aregue with that@

Conshave to weat a name tag

Advice to Senior Managementkeep on trucks

it was awesome

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Surrey, BC (Canada)

Proswork benefits awesome awesome cool

ConsBreaks, bad , decent not much to say

Working at CTC

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat company to work for, excellent benefits

ConsA lot of competition for jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould like to get more access to training

Great!

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Oshawa, ON (Canada)

ProsSafe learning environment
    Great Benefits
    Management team
    Positive financial outlook

ConsSlow to react
    Archaic IT
    No one listens

Great at corp. level but the franchising structure creates competition between stores that hinders sales/customer serv.

Showroom Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsAt the corporate level they seem to be very organized and are constantly in touch with franchises to insure a consistent image. The managers at the franchise where I worked varied greatly like any business, but they do provide the necessary tools to be a good employee. (online & in-store training, personal understanding & support when necessary, etc.)

ConsAs with any retail job, expect to receive a fraction of what you feel you put in to the job in effort as compensation in return. Do keep in mind you likely have no tertiary education (or are currently completing it) if the previous statement applies, so you need to start somewhere. Hours available directly reflect sales numbers which can sometimes cause a vicious cycle in terms of being short-staffed and not being able to provide a consistent level of service (which further hurts sales). Lastly, because the stores are franchised and more often than not all the services such as assembly, repairs, and delivery are outside contracts with other small companies it makes it difficult to help a customer with any issue they may have had with another Canadian Tire franchise.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything I have been witness to in my time at Canadian Tire Corp. Ltd. showed me that it is a well operated company, but as mentioned some issues arise with the franchising.

Find a way to unite all of the stores through services etc. so that Floor Associates and Store Managers from different franchises don't appear to be competing for profit in front of customers.

Some Locations Better Than Others

Customer Services Representative (Former Employee)
    Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsI worked at a location in Waterloo by Ira Needles, and another in Rexdale, Etobicoke at the Customer Service desk. The location in Waterloo was amazing. Justin, the store owner was incredibly friendly, as were all the managers. It was a very positive work experience. I would recommend working there as a student. The location in Rexdale was awful. Management was rude, disrespectful and not supportive. They never wanted to help customers, and encouraged you not to too. The staff was also very lazy.

ConsInconsistency between store locations. Discouraging atmosphere at some locations.

A large company with a small company feel

Automotive Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Ajax, ON (Canada)

ProsThe company has flexible hours and a great profit sharing plan. There are a lot of locations which means if you are willing to move from store to store you can really speed track a career in retail. The ownership structure of the company is also unique with it having dealers. This in my opinion allows you to have greater control on managing store activities while allowing you to be "your own boss" within a large national company.

ConsUnless you work for the corporation itself good salaries are generally restricted to people in general management/ store management (for the most part). In a busy store there are always abusive customers you have to deal with on a daily basis... This is compounded by the problem that you are generally working with unprofessional non-career oriented staff. Very few people go into retail to start a "career" its one of those industry's that people get thrown into

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate head office should put more effort into hiring from their dealers Internally. I get the feeling that a lot of corporate employees have no idea what workers on the ground floor have experienced. there were a lot of qualified individuals (myself being one of them) that struggled to get any contact with head office for future opportunities.

Worked for Canadian Tire? Contribute to the Community!

Canadian Tire Videos

Canadian Tire – Why Work for Us?

Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited is one of Canada's most-shopped general retailers and the country's largest sporting goods retailer, with more than 1,700 retail and gasoline outlets from coast-to-coast. Our primary… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Canadian Tire reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Canadian Tire CEO Stephen G. Wetmore. All 229 reviews posted anonymously by Canadian Tire employees.