Canadian Tire

Updated November 14, 2014
3.3

Canadian Tire President, CEO, and Director Stephen G. Wetmore
Stephen G. Wetmore

Pros
  • Great work/life balance; as a student or otherwise, your schedule will be flexible (in 24 reviews)

• Good salary and profit sharing plus you get to work with a good team (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can be tough given intense retail and competitive pressures (in 7 reviews)

• Minimum wage despite extensive experience (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Advertising

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Canadian Tire

Pros

Great expierience. Learned a lot but a slow moving environment. Good people. Always liked my managers.

Cons

No focus on development. Need more opportunity to step outside of comfort zone. More training required as well

More focus.

Great at corp. level but the franchising structure creates competition between stores that hinders sales/customer serv.

Current Employee - Showroom Sales Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Showroom Sales Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Tire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At the corporate level they seem to be very organized and are constantly in touch with franchises to insure a consistent image. The managers at the franchise where I worked varied greatly like any business, but they do provide the necessary tools to be a good employee. (online & in-store training, personal understanding & support when necessary, etc.)

Cons

As with any retail job, expect to receive a fraction of what you feel you put in to the job in effort as compensation in return. Do keep in mind you likely have no tertiary education (or are currently completing it) if the previous statement applies, so you need to start somewhere. Hours available directly reflect sales numbers which can sometimes cause a vicious cycle in terms of being short-staffed and not being able to provide a consistent level of service (which further hurts sales). Lastly, because the stores are franchised and more often than not all the services such as assembly, repairs, and delivery are outside contracts with other small companies it makes it difficult to help a customer with any issue they may have had with another Canadian Tire franchise.

Everything I have been witness to in my time at Canadian Tire Corp. Ltd. showed me that it is a well operated company, but as mentioned some issues arise with the franchising.

Find a way to unite all of the stores through services etc. so that Floor Associates and Store Managers from different franchises don't appear to be competing for profit in front of customers.

Good employees struggling to do their best with under staffing issues.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cobourg, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cobourg, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Tire part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

We used to be a great team always there for each other. We used to look forward to coming in to work. We would share opinions talk about new products and had built up very good customer rapport.

Cons

We have been conquered and divided into a disfunctional stressed out horrible place to come to work. Feel guilty if we happen to be caught talking to each other. Never feel we have ac complished enough. Profit sharing that we never get to touch unless we quit, go to college or take out a mortgage!? New hire training..embarassing.

Listen to the few valuable dedicated employees you do have left. 34 employees have gone since Sept 2013!! Most new hires if they stay will never have the same dedication or company pride.

Some Locations Better Than Others

Former Employee - Customer Services Representative in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Services Representative in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at a location in Waterloo by Ira Needles, and another in Rexdale, Etobicoke at the Customer Service desk. The location in Waterloo was amazing. Justin, the store owner was incredibly friendly, as were all the managers. It was a very positive work experience. I would recommend working there as a student. The location in Rexdale was awful. Management was rude, disrespectful and not supportive. They never wanted to help customers, and encouraged you not to too. The staff was also very lazy.

Cons

Inconsistency between store locations. Discouraging atmosphere at some locations.

I have been working at Canadian Tire

Pros

This job is only good for developing Material handling equipment experience really.

Cons

It's only contractual work with no room to advance.They hire through Adecco,which is run by Canadian Tire.If you decide to work here you're gonna have to settle for 13bucks until your assignment is through before saying bye,bye to you.

I think you guys should free up some payroll space for new potential, temporary to permanent acquisition.There are people whose lives are complicated;people who are buried in debt and are looking for permanent work.These are hard working labourers.Besides,your workforce aren't getting any younger.

Working for an associate store

Current Employee - Store Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Tire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good experience in the customer relation environment. Lots of great opportunities in various stores in the chain across Canada. Good contact with experienced managers in the retail business. Good bonuses and a great expense coverage.

Cons

As a manager, it's a perquisite to do long hours per week, working on weekend and evening(multiple times a week). Pay was not very good, benefits were ok. In my experience, there's not enough HR in each store to deal with environment and welfare of employees.

Requieres a better training ressource for new employees. Improve relation with employees by having an HR Rep in each store.

Working at CTC

Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great company to work for, excellent benefits

Cons

A lot of competition for jobs.

Would like to get more access to training

it was awesome

Current Employee - Cashier in Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Surrey, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Tire part-time (less than an year)

Pros

work benefits awesome awesome cool

Cons

Breaks, bad , decent not much to say

Great!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Tire full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Safe learning environment
    Great Benefits
    Management team
    Positive financial outlook

Cons

Slow to react
    Archaic IT
    No one listens

Fullfilling

Current Employee - Technician/Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technician/Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Tire full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hard work will pay off, family orientated, compensation fair dependant on position, and good profit sharing

Cons

Long hours if you want to be advanced. But will pay off iff you have ambition