Canadian Tire

Canadian Tire Reviews in Toronto, ON

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Canadian Tire President, CEO, and Director Stephen G. Wetmore

Stephen G. Wetmore

Pros
  • Great work/life balance; as a student or otherwise, your schedule will be flexible(in 22 reviews)

• Positive work environment, dedicated employees, good benefits package, profit sharing(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can be tough given intense retail and competitive pressures(in 7 reviews)

• Minimum wage despite extensive experience(in 9 reviews)

98 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working at CTC

Analyst (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat company to work for, excellent benefits

ConsA lot of competition for jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould like to get more access to training

Great at corp. level but the franchising structure creates competition between stores that hinders sales/customer serv.

Showroom Sales Representative (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsAt the corporate level they seem to be very organized and are constantly in touch with franchises to insure a consistent image. The managers at the franchise where I worked varied greatly like any business, but they do provide the necessary tools to be a good employee. (online & in-store training, personal understanding & support when necessary, etc.)

ConsAs with any retail job, expect to receive a fraction of what you feel you put in to the job in effort as compensation in return. Do keep in mind you likely have no tertiary education (or are currently completing it) if the previous statement applies, so you need to start somewhere. Hours available directly reflect sales numbers which can sometimes cause a vicious cycle in terms of being short-staffed and not being able to provide a consistent level of service (which further hurts sales). Lastly, because the stores are franchised and more often than not all the services such as assembly, repairs, and delivery are outside contracts with other small companies it makes it difficult to help a customer with any issue they may have had with another Canadian Tire franchise.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything I have been witness to in my time at Canadian Tire Corp. Ltd. showed me that it is a well operated company, but as mentioned some issues arise with the franchising.

Find a way to unite all of the stores through services etc. so that Floor Associates and Store Managers from different franchises don't appear to be competing for profit in front of customers.

Fullfilling

Technician/Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsHard work will pay off, family orientated, compensation fair dependant on position, and good profit sharing

ConsLong hours if you want to be advanced. But will pay off iff you have ambition

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Average cashier job, boring for a teenage girl

Cashier (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThe best thing about working here is that it is a simple job (as simple as any other cashier job can get). No confusing things. You don't have too many responsibilities expect scanning and making sure you give the right change. Should know how to sell propane (slip-print propane slips, memorize codes for different sizes of propane), take cheque and large cash or card payments for the Canadian tire credit card, be aware of people changing packaging (especially male young adults thinking you're a fool because you're a girl - ex. hockey stick price stickers, weight sticker prices [c'mon] and other things)

Time off - Easy going. you were required to ask for day off about a month in advance at first or before the next schedule was made and up.

barely and promotions... I mean pay-wise VERY hard to get a raise (impossible, maybe in like 5 years or so .50 cents? lol), but they frequently (well after about a year working there) began training cashiers at other locations like Self-check outs, garden centre, automotive cashiers (larger payments, and a couple other new things you have to learn), customer service, and sometimes you would be on the floor cleaning or stocking items.

Cons- Don't get a raise easily, and usually start off with a regular minimum wage...
    - Dull, boring cashier job... unless you like/shop at Canadian Tire yourself.... or the location you are at keeps you busy... (mine didn't, and I frequently got bored - felt like i was wasting my time)
    - Bad discount: 10% (doesn't even cover tax in Ontario lol)
    - Some promotional movement (regular cashier to I guess customer service, or self-checkout was nice)
    but otherwise plain old cashier job.
    - Customers are generally pretty nice, unless you work at customer service
    - Training was horrible: got trained by different people on random days for like a week and a half and then was expected to be on my own...
    - The Cash managers were SO UNORGANIZED. I always had to somehow find out myself when I got to work that there was a promotion going on and they rarely told us/provided us with the required materials right when we started the shift that would be required to put the promotion through (coupons - how you would do it - sometimes they had different rules). One of the most irritating things about this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

cutting hours for the full time employees

Anonymous (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsYou can't advance if you don't know somebody on the top, Lots of nepotism , gossiping,hidden racism as well.

ConsThere is a two sides of the medal , all training ( if it is done properly ) can impress you till you don't step on the floor.On the floor it is all about the hours, who gets the better shift, are you an agency employee or a full time. If you are a full time you got to be careful with whom are you socializing. Team leads are forming clans and their groups of informers... sad , very sad.Managers are changing too quickly and they care more about their promotion than what will happen with facility.They are cutting hours and once when you deduct taxes and benefits ... there is so little left of your salary. Tip , nod with your head till you don't find something better. With reduced hours and shortage of people number of injuries will slowly grow, of course this fact will be covered with the paperwork. In a year you can lose up to $ 5000 if you are working in the shift that is closing.
    Continuing education ... now that's a farce as well, you start and they will change the location or time frame and your chances are slowly sailing away from you :(.
    They have tendency to let people go even after they spent 35 years with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHIRE THE RIGHT PEOPLE FOR THE JOB ... NOT YOUR COUSINS, FRIEND OF A FRIEND , OR PEOPLE THAT ARE IN JUST FOR THE PROMOTION

Please hire people that really care about people !

Great benefits package...

Category Implementation Specialist (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- Great benefits package
    - Friendly environment
    - Everyone works together (usually)

Cons- training issues
    - work-life balance issues
    - processes out of date, or non existent, or sometimes exist for no reason at all
    - quantity, not quality focused

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement "Logical" processes and give your employees the tools they need to get the proper job done. Make work-life balance a priority for the health of your employees.

Ok not great for the long term

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsEasy work. Good hours. Coworkers are fantastic.

ConsLacking direction. Management is horribly out of touch and not aligned with each other.

Good employer until more recently when they began laying off people to save money

Team Leader (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood work/life balance and flexible work hours

ConsLower pay when compared to the same jobs at other companies
    Limited opportunities for advancement and favouritism to specific individuals

Advice to Senior ManagementPut a stop to AVPs back room/unfair hiring decisions and restore the job posting/fair hiring process
    Reduce the number of senior management instead of getting rid of the people that do the work

Without Exception - the more poorly managed company I have every worked for.

Senior Leader (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros-Lots of money spend
    -High Salaries (danger pay)

Cons-No long or short term Corporate strategy
    -Extremely high turn-over
    -Inexperienced senior management team
    -fragmented corporate culture
    -Values/Culture - non-existent

Advice to Senior Management-Figure out a strategy, stick with it for more than 5 minutes.
    -Get some people with real corporate experience on your BOD and in your Senior Management ranks.
    -Turnover rates at Home Office is appalling
    -Senior Leaders VP+ - extremely inexperienced
    -Values/Culture - non-existent

Really bad

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsNothing is good about my experiance here.

ConsMangagers are rude and too demanding. They keep you past your shift and do not pay you for the extra time you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees for the time they work period.

Worked for Canadian Tire? Contribute to the Community!