Canadian Tire

Updated December 9, 2014
3.4

Canadian Tire President, CEO, and Director Stephen G. Wetmore
Stephen G. Wetmore

Pros
  • Great work/life balance; as a student or otherwise, your schedule will be flexible (in 24 reviews)

• Good salary and profit sharing plus you get to work with a good team (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can be tough given intense retail and competitive pressures (in 8 reviews)

• Minimum wage despite extensive experience (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

138 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, welcoming culture, lack of growth opportunities.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, very open and welcoming as well as helpful. Great work/life balance. Fun place to work overall with good benefits.

Cons

Salaries are low and have little room for growth. Some departments have leaders that have been around for quite a while and thus are very rigid in their views/opinions on certain topics or ways of doing things.

Increase compensation if you want to attract/keep Canada's best young talent.

Great atmosphere and work life balance, poor upper management

Former Employee - Category Implementation Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Category Implementation Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire full-time

Pros

Great work life balance
    Profit Sharing
    Great people

Cons

Salary
    Opportunity to grow from within
    Growth solely based on manager
    Promotions are few and far between. Many moves have to be made in order to get to management level

Improve pay to keep talent

Finance centralization to "Shared Services" environment added more turnover than anything

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CT is a great brand in Canada, does good things for the community and most people like the culture (outside of the finance group). Store discount is nice, benefits and vacation are normal. Share purchase plan is great with no vesting period. People love the last few marketing campaigns, which is great visibility and good for the resume, For better or worse you will always hear someone's Canadian Tire story when you meet them.

Cons

It's a tired corporate story in the finance area; removed too many headcounts over the past two years so the remaining people are overworked and good ones leaving.

I'm put a neutral rating on the CEO as I don't believe he was looking long term enough in his actions. For people still at CT that will continue to be an issue on the operations side. Of course with the recent launch of CT REIT and bank merger with Scotiabank share price has outperformed over the past few years, which I did benefit from financially.

Stephen Wetmore did his job in his time but didn't leave much behind to maintain performance.

Salary is Okay and the growth is low

Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are more job opportunities

Cons

Salary is not satisfied.
    Office culture seems to be good, but really not satisfied

Cost control at middle level

Its been pleasant

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Tire as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I've worked on various contracts for most of my professional life. Not by choice, just that I never got the opportunity. At CT this is my second role, and both have also been contracts, but at least here I was able to get another position within the same company, and before my contract ended. That's been great.

Cons

My salary at my second role (after 9 months) was kept exactly the same, down to the same cents. When I negotiated a bump they gave me a dollar per hour more ($2k/yr). I would've hoped for more than that, especially since the new position at least seemed better.

I dont know how other floors and locations are but on my floor in the Toronto office the kitchen is very poorly stocked. No paper cups, plastic cutlery etc. I dont think that's ideal. At the Oakville office on the other hand it was great.

Team Canadian Tire

Former Employee - Department Manager in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most staff and management are a wonderful team and blend social and work into an enjoyable career. The benefits are average and time off is usually granted without too much issue.

Cons

Some management have issues with communication and dealing with respect to members of staff.

Roll up your sleeves and dig in, Managers. You'll get more respect and a better view of the morale of the store if down and open to hear and see the negatives.

A decent place for temporary part-time work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most managers were very kind and accommodating to their employees. Very understanding of human error, and employee's personal lives; allowed a lot flexibility in booking time-off.

Hard work did not go unrecognised.

Learned a lot about customer service and coordinating with management and other employees.

Cons

Overall, not a bad place, but rather disorganized and could use some tightening up.

Employees are hired on a "friend of mine" basis, so most of the part-timers are young and nonchalant. Some older employees have horrible attitudes that are completely disregarded. Communication between different sections of the store ranges from being decent, to being left stranded in silence for an extended period of time.

Management is generally kind and accommodating to their employees, but are a bit too willing to throw them under the bus, and break their own backs to appease a customer. It gives the customer an unwarranted sense of entitlement and creates a very hostile environment for the employees.

Overall culture is questionable at best. Gender diversity is rather non-existent. The entirety of cash and customer service are women, while all areas of the floor are men, with only a couple exceptions. Exceptional amounts of gossiping and attempts at undermining others make it feel a bit cliquey and juvenile.

For such a large store, and considering its primary speciality, the hardware and technology was horrific. The registers were grungy and regularly breaking (usually shoddily fixed using packaging tape), with software that's long-outdated. Printing simple things like gift receipts could end up having you jump through multiple hoops to get it to work, with a confused and irate line of customers quickly piling up. Cashiers generally got three walkie-talkies out of the eight that were supposed to be there, usually with one of them missing or broken. Inventory system could use a lot of love.

There's really no place for growth, unfortunately. Benefits and raises were transient and minimal, and the store seems to be in a never-ending loop of simultaneous overemployment/underemployment due to an unnaturally high turnover rate.

Please look into screening your employees a bit more. Hiring friends of your employees without an interview sets the bar at an incredibly low default for how the company operates, and how its professionalism is perceived. High turnovers are a direct result of hiring individual who couldn't care less about the job, and drastically effect all aspects of the workplace, and the other employees.

Don't be so eager to bend over backwards to accommodate a customer and make a sale when they are obviously wrong. Being a respectable business doesn't come from giving discounts to adults who throw tantrums. The customer–employee hostility is unacceptable. Your employees with be incredibly grateful if you show them that they matter too.

Great at corp. level but the franchising structure creates competition between stores that hinders sales/customer serv.

Current Employee - Showroom Sales Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Showroom Sales Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Tire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At the corporate level they seem to be very organized and are constantly in touch with franchises to insure a consistent image. The managers at the franchise where I worked varied greatly like any business, but they do provide the necessary tools to be a good employee. (online & in-store training, personal understanding & support when necessary, etc.)

Cons

As with any retail job, expect to receive a fraction of what you feel you put in to the job in effort as compensation in return. Do keep in mind you likely have no tertiary education (or are currently completing it) if the previous statement applies, so you need to start somewhere. Hours available directly reflect sales numbers which can sometimes cause a vicious cycle in terms of being short-staffed and not being able to provide a consistent level of service (which further hurts sales). Lastly, because the stores are franchised and more often than not all the services such as assembly, repairs, and delivery are outside contracts with other small companies it makes it difficult to help a customer with any issue they may have had with another Canadian Tire franchise.

Everything I have been witness to in my time at Canadian Tire Corp. Ltd. showed me that it is a well operated company, but as mentioned some issues arise with the franchising.

Find a way to unite all of the stores through services etc. so that Floor Associates and Store Managers from different franchises don't appear to be competing for profit in front of customers.

Some Locations Better Than Others

Former Employee - Customer Services Representative in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Services Representative in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at a location in Waterloo by Ira Needles, and another in Rexdale, Etobicoke at the Customer Service desk. The location in Waterloo was amazing. Justin, the store owner was incredibly friendly, as were all the managers. It was a very positive work experience. I would recommend working there as a student. The location in Rexdale was awful. Management was rude, disrespectful and not supportive. They never wanted to help customers, and encouraged you not to too. The staff was also very lazy.

Cons

Inconsistency between store locations. Discouraging atmosphere at some locations.

A large company with a small company feel

Former Employee - Automotive Supervisor in Ajax, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Automotive Supervisor in Ajax, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company has flexible hours and a great profit sharing plan. There are a lot of locations which means if you are willing to move from store to store you can really speed track a career in retail. The ownership structure of the company is also unique with it having dealers. This in my opinion allows you to have greater control on managing store activities while allowing you to be "your own boss" within a large national company.

Cons

Unless you work for the corporation itself good salaries are generally restricted to people in general management/ store management (for the most part). In a busy store there are always abusive customers you have to deal with on a daily basis... This is compounded by the problem that you are generally working with unprofessional non-career oriented staff. Very few people go into retail to start a "career" its one of those industry's that people get thrown into

Corporate head office should put more effort into hiring from their dealers Internally. I get the feeling that a lot of corporate employees have no idea what workers on the ground floor have experienced. there were a lot of qualified individuals (myself being one of them) that struggled to get any contact with head office for future opportunities.