Canal Insurance

2.4

David J. Firstenberg

Love Working at Canal

I have been working at Canal Insurance

Pros

Benefits; PTO; Promotes within; Owners believe in taking care of employees

Cons

Nothing, I really enjoy working for this company.

Keep moving forward and working toward accomplishing long-term goals.

Bad company

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Greenville, SC

I worked at Canal Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

One thing only health benifits

Cons

Company has not made a profit in about five years. I have wored in claims for about 20 years and never had a bad experience with management until working for canal. If you are thinking about the new position in claims don't . If you do and you manager is a female you are doomed. If you can stay away from this company do so. Also the underwriting dept is just as bad or worse.

None as they will not listen. Only advise is for the Timmons family. The people you hired to run your company are tirants and are going to cause your company to go out of business. Canal is lucky that there are no other insurance companies in the area, if there was a majority of the employees would leave.

Feel like I am part of the band on the Titanic.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Canal Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I truly enjoy the people I work closely with, they are like extended family members. The gym and the on-site doctor's office where you can get free prescription refills is an awesome perk.

Cons

There are a handful of managers who are great with recognition; unfortunately, that isn't the majority of the management team. The overall feeling of the staff is one of being unappreciated and there's a sense of insecurity about the company's future. I feel underpaid. Most of us work 3-4 hours extra a day to keep up with the increasing responsibilities, since we are salaried employees there is no extra compensation. Long term loyal employees are overlooked for promotions within the company. Very little faith among employees (including department managers) in the company leadership.

Put people in charge of making decisions who understand the process which they are making the decision about. Since the managers weren't promoted from within, they don't understand the workflow processes so they often make decisions which have implications that make the process more cumbersome. Be consistent with decisions and communication. Do a better job of acknowledging and compensating employees.

Steady through the Storm

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Canal Insurance

Pros

Great coworkers, direct management and benefits. I enjoy my job and line of work. I feel like there are poor managers and employees in some places, but largely things are going well.

Cons

This is a tough industry, but there is a persistence for success. There's been some management changes; some planned and some unplanned. That can be discouraging. Also, at times, their can be a ton of workplace gossip. It can get toxic.

I'm confident in the future of Canal and we're setting up for success. Transparency and authenticity will win your employee's trust. Sometimes call a spade a spade. But, when there is a disparity between what employees see and hear from you; it destroys your credibility. You can't tell us everything, but I'd look at this. If there's no trust then there's no relationship. Goals met or not; people will follow those they trust to the ends of the earth.

Wasted Years

Current Employee - Claims in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Claims in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Canal Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Let me think about that! Nothing comes to mind right now.

Cons

They paint a pretty picture, usually convince you to leave your current company, get you there, work you to death, and show you the door.

They wouldn't listen. They are just like politicians. They just want to guard their money, get all they can, and don't care a thing about their fellow man. Only bottom line results. They forget the human factor altogether.

Don't believe everything you hear...

I worked at Canal Insurance full-time

Pros

On site gym is a nice feature. They provide fresh fruit daily and they offer a lot of perks for employees at a reasonable price

Cons

You can tell who the favorites are. Also you are promised the moon when you get hired and once you start you find out there is a lot of red tape to get what your offer letter states. They offer a bonus as a big part of their compensation package, but then you find out it's only if the company meets goals that they set unreasonably high so you don't get the bonus. Also I didn't meet one person who had been there more than two years including the CEO. Doesn't say much for retention...

Don't fluff your benefits to get new hires. They will only leave when the curtain is pulled back along with everyone else.

Move on

I have been working at Canal Insurance full-time

Pros

It's obvious that most of the negative reviews are being written by the VP's who left the company. For goodness sake move on with your own lives. Canal will succeed without you. Move on and try to be successful somewhere else, but most importantly MOVE ON. Those negative attitudes are not getting you anywhere.

Cons

It's a tough market that's even tougher to price in.

Make sure to keep your employees engaged and reward their hard work. Don't overlook your quiet superstars.

More senior VPs? Really?

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Canal Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Right now, there aren't any except that i have a job!

Cons

More people with big salaries, fewer people who are doing all the work.
    The more i hear the CEO talk, the more I realize he probably doesn't know what he's doing. Every time we have an all claims meeting, he tries so hard to convince us he knows what he's talking about. Bottom line is that he hasnt gotten us where we needed to go. He just needs to stop yapping about how much he knows an accomplish something real before the owners decide to call it quits!

Stop hiring new VPs every other day, and focus on what we can we can be good at and work hard to be better at those things than anyone else. We need some direction, and we need a leader, not a talker!

Work hard turning it around, great people and leadership, tough business but well worth the fight.

Current Employee - Leader
    Current Employee - Leader

I have been working at Canal Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small company with small company feel, strong leaders, figuring out the complex landscape and ready to explode.

Cons

Everyone needs to pull together to take the hill. Employees cannot turn away from the mission or we will all fall short. We need everyone to row and row harder.

Don't give up the ship! This long time Greenville stalwart is worth the fight, even in the tough, tough trucking industry.

Not sure why I'm still there

I have been working at Canal Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Onsite gym, decent benefits, decent location. Small enough company to be known by most, but getting more "corporate" daily

Cons

Some departments have staff that seem to be incompetent and inefficient - thus affecting all sorts of project deadlines. Favoritism is worse than ever. 3 AVP or higher positions have left since December - and one more will be retiring this summer - seems like too high of turnover at the same time in those positions.

Learn how to be leaders! Managing and leadership are very different things - and there are not many, if any, leaders in AVP or higher positions. Take a hard look at staff and get rid of dead weight and let those who aren't know that you appreciate them. Communicate with employees and stop playing favorites