Cancer Care Ontario

Updated December 19, 2014
2.4

Michael Sherar

Given me what I need

Current Employee - Research Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cancer Care Ontario part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and working arrangements for casual position

Cons

None from the perspective of person who is not working full time

Many changes required...

Former Employee - Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Cancer Care Ontario full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people that work here are the best I've ever had the pleasure to work with; extremely intelligent and are still great friends. The work was very challenging and very stressful, but was rewarding at times. Benefits and pay are okay.

Cons

Please take this review with a grain of salt, it was not the right fit for me because:

1) lack of resources and the expectation that the work gets done regardless of what you need to do to make it happen (no clear distinction of work between titles - all hands on deck situations all the time means your team is doing the same work but some people are paid more for it)
    2) difficult to get work life balance; no acknowledgement from leadership when it was pointed out that there just isn't enough time to finish the work during the work week and all projects are high priority
    3) difficult to take any vacation time, because by the time you get back you'll have so much work that you'll end up making up vacation hours anyways
    4) every day people were eating lunch at their desks
    5) weird hiring and promotion policies, and despite the constant barrage of "our people matter the most!", it never felt like their current employees were that important
    6) policies applied when and were managers felt necessary, no consistency across departments/programs
    7) employee extremes of type As or "its not my job" people, neither of which are fun to work with
    8) leadership spent most of their time congratulating themselves on their great work or pointing fingers at each other rather than working together to solve issues
    9) departments felt silo-ed, something that is not mitigated when VPs sit together at town hall and say their department is the better/best department (aren't we one organization?)
    10) meetings all day, no space, and a system that enables double/triple room bookings (automatically have to find another room if the other meeting has someone who thinks they're more important than you in it)
    11) getting emails all time time (evenings, weekends, early mornings - it never ended)

Major culture and work environment shifts are required before this can be considered a good place to work again.

If someone leaves, stop assuming those that remain can absorb the position work (or they'll quit and you'll be even more short staffed), learn to really listen to what your employees are saying, if you say your people matter most, treat them with respect, re-think HR policies

Nice place to work, highly sought after in healthcare.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Cancer Care Ontario as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance, benefits, decent pay compared to healthcare

Cons

Dealing with many different stakeholders can slow progress

Good learning but tough environment

Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Cancer Care Ontario full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to work with gifted and driven colleagues

Cons

harsh environment for sensitive introverts. Very Type A. Driven, Outcomes focused, low Emotional intelligence.

People and Culture!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cancer Care Ontario full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Senior management is finally doing something about the "culture".

I give senior management the credits for the intention, and I need real culture changes.

No more "documentation shows" or fake "fairness" in promotion and hiring

Cons

Bad culture had been a big problem at CCO - unfair competition, favouritism, and VPs/Directors just hire everyone they like.

The new big people and culture program gives hope, but we won't feel better until actual things happen. Giving us a wallpaper, or more town halls aren't going to blind us anymore.

we need to see proofs.

Do what you promised us, do not tolerate bad behaviours. Because you have done it long enough!

IT needs to change.

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cancer Care Ontario full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good CEO with intention to change.

Cons

IT needs to change. Nothing has happened and there is only one voice allowed.
    No innovation is tolerated following bad leadership. You have a technician as CTO, do you know what that means?

There is no respect to the current IT leader because he never looks out for the people not sharing the same history.

Can we please have changes in IT, and provide opportunities for people other than the favourite group of OACCAC staff?
    There won't be any good change until you face the problem.

Do not disappoint us further.

Undergoing a completely disorganized re-org with no stability

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cancer Care Ontario full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great salary and pension, decent health benefits and vacation. The location is great downtown. I have worked with many great colleagues and had some great mentors, so it's a good place to start your career and get a bit of experience.

Cons

The organization has been rapidly growing, so there has been a ton of re-org attempts lately. Great people are laid off (or contracts not renewed) with absolutely no planning as to who will take over their work. I personally took over 95% of a role (outside of my department!) for a total of 8 months with zero compensation, recognition, or thanks. Worst part of this is that I was blamed and thrown under the bus for issues arising from trying to fill a second role with no training or guidance.

CCO's department structure creates silos, and you will work in different buildings than others that you need to be communication with. As a result, the communication between most departments is basically non-existent. Other groups (especially IT) will do anything to avoid taking responsibility for any issues, so be prepared to have to buckle down and do other's work for them.

There are so many great employees are not recognized for their worth. However, take a look at the Sunshine List when it comes out and you will be absolutely shocked at the salaries of some of the most incompetent people working there. So, yes, you can be sure that there's a lot of favouritism at play.

It's a shame, when I first started at CCO about 5 years ago I absolutely loved it and would have recommended it to anyone. I don't know what's been happening the last couple of years, but the culture has been declining so fast that I can hardly wait to leave.

Town halls are nothing more than a cheerleading session with nothing of substance. We are constantly being told that senior management is working hard to keep staff apprised of changes, but we're almost 1 year into the current re-org and we've heard nothing but "we'll let you know when we have more updates". You're going to continue to see an outflux of great employees until there is a real strategic direction with concrete objectives and tangible results.

Good Laid back and professional environment to learn about public sector, healthcare, and teamwork..nothing more.

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cancer Care Ontario full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent work life, very good salaries, flex time, professional and casual environment, and good staff to work with (especially the younger ones)

Cons

Challenge to find meeting rooms, temporary full time get lower benefits (no pension, no 3 float holidays), Projects (including I.T.) ends up costing a lot of $$ with little return as an organization. Many broken processes from poor managerial decisions from past.

reduce contracting if you want to improve retention rates. Giving contracts after contracts should come with lower expectations from a retention standpoint.

Senior Manager

I worked at Cancer Care Ontario

Pros

Decent salary but as others have said raises are near impossible unless you have he backing of a VP. Some decent executives most don't know the enormity of poor behaviour exhibited by senior management and those that do turn a blind eye. Good for someone young cutting their teeth but don't stay more than 2yrs you will get stuck

Cons

Worked at CCO for more than the average - left due to favouritism and ultimately bluing from upper management. Most senior managers, directors and VPs are out to build their own little fiefdoms ... sad that most of IT is NLT qualified particularly all of the directors which are oddly all friends of the CTO who have no experience. CTO uses Microsoft as his crutch and is a silent bully. Organization turns blind eye and HR is a BIG bully UNTRUSTWORTHY... Stay away from them!

Start with a clean slate and stop moving the power from IT to now Public Affairs and Marketing there is no balance whatsoever there!

If it wasn't for the salary...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cancer Care Ontario full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Just about everything else. Poor leadership, dysfunctional organization.

Actions speak louder than words. Instead of just saying you want to do something about the ridiculous employee turnover rate and improve the culture, make employees feel like you mean it by how you behave.