Cancer Care Ontario

Updated November 20, 2014
Updated November 20, 2014
2.2

Michael Sherar

Nice place to work, highly sought after in healthcare.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Cancer Care Ontario as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance, benefits, decent pay compared to healthcare

Cons

Dealing with many different stakeholders can slow progress

Good learning but tough environment

Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Cancer Care Ontario full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to work with gifted and driven colleagues

Cons

harsh environment for sensitive introverts. Very Type A. Driven, Outcomes focused, low Emotional intelligence.

People and Culture!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cancer Care Ontario full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Senior management is finally doing something about the "culture".

I give senior management the credits for the intention, and I need real culture changes.

No more "documentation shows" or fake "fairness" in promotion and hiring

Cons

Bad culture had been a big problem at CCO - unfair competition, favouritism, and VPs/Directors just hire everyone they like.

The new big people and culture program gives hope, but we won't feel better until actual things happen. Giving us a wallpaper, or more town halls aren't going to blind us anymore.

we need to see proofs.

Do what you promised us, do not tolerate bad behaviours. Because you have done it long enough!

IT needs to change.

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cancer Care Ontario full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good CEO with intention to change.

Cons

IT needs to change. Nothing has happened and there is only one voice allowed.
    No innovation is tolerated following bad leadership. You have a technician as CTO, do you know what that means?

There is no respect to the current IT leader because he never looks out for the people not sharing the same history.

Can we please have changes in IT, and provide opportunities for people other than the favourite group of OACCAC staff?
    There won't be any good change until you face the problem.

Do not disappoint us further.

Undergoing a completely disorganized re-org with no stability

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cancer Care Ontario full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great salary and pension, decent health benefits and vacation. The location is great downtown. I have worked with many great colleagues and had some great mentors, so it's a good place to start your career and get a bit of experience.

Cons

The organization has been rapidly growing, so there has been a ton of re-org attempts lately. Great people are laid off (or contracts not renewed) with absolutely no planning as to who will take over their work. I personally took over 95% of a role (outside of my department!) for a total of 8 months with zero compensation, recognition, or thanks. Worst part of this is that I was blamed and thrown under the bus for issues arising from trying to fill a second role with no training or guidance.

CCO's department structure creates silos, and you will work in different buildings than others that you need to be communication with. As a result, the communication between most departments is basically non-existent. Other groups (especially IT) will do anything to avoid taking responsibility for any issues, so be prepared to have to buckle down and do other's work for them.

There are so many great employees are not recognized for their worth. However, take a look at the Sunshine List when it comes out and you will be absolutely shocked at the salaries of some of the most incompetent people working there. So, yes, you can be sure that there's a lot of favouritism at play.

It's a shame, when I first started at CCO about 5 years ago I absolutely loved it and would have recommended it to anyone. I don't know what's been happening the last couple of years, but the culture has been declining so fast that I can hardly wait to leave.

Town halls are nothing more than a cheerleading session with nothing of substance. We are constantly being told that senior management is working hard to keep staff apprised of changes, but we're almost 1 year into the current re-org and we've heard nothing but "we'll let you know when we have more updates". You're going to continue to see an outflux of great employees until there is a real strategic direction with concrete objectives and tangible results.

Good Laid back and professional environment to learn about public sector, healthcare, and teamwork..nothing more.

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cancer Care Ontario full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent work life, very good salaries, flex time, professional and casual environment, and good staff to work with (especially the younger ones)

Cons

Challenge to find meeting rooms, temporary full time get lower benefits (no pension, no 3 float holidays), Projects (including I.T.) ends up costing a lot of $$ with little return as an organization. Many broken processes from poor managerial decisions from past.

reduce contracting if you want to improve retention rates. Giving contracts after contracts should come with lower expectations from a retention standpoint.

Senior Manager

I worked at Cancer Care Ontario

Pros

Decent salary but as others have said raises are near impossible unless you have he backing of a VP. Some decent executives most don't know the enormity of poor behaviour exhibited by senior management and those that do turn a blind eye. Good for someone young cutting their teeth but don't stay more than 2yrs you will get stuck

Cons

Worked at CCO for more than the average - left due to favouritism and ultimately bluing from upper management. Most senior managers, directors and VPs are out to build their own little fiefdoms ... sad that most of IT is NLT qualified particularly all of the directors which are oddly all friends of the CTO who have no experience. CTO uses Microsoft as his crutch and is a silent bully. Organization turns blind eye and HR is a BIG bully UNTRUSTWORTHY... Stay away from them!

Start with a clean slate and stop moving the power from IT to now Public Affairs and Marketing there is no balance whatsoever there!

If it wasn't for the salary...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cancer Care Ontario full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Just about everything else. Poor leadership, dysfunctional organization.

Actions speak louder than words. Instead of just saying you want to do something about the ridiculous employee turnover rate and improve the culture, make employees feel like you mean it by how you behave.

Only work here if your friend in Sr Management gets you in.

Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Cancer Care Ontario full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Close to subway line. Great view of the city, if you can get a window seat. Take long lunches and go home early every day. If you have a friend in sr management hire you, you're golden. For example, sr manager's hairdresser scored a cushy 6-figure job.

Cons

No promotions or raises. New initiatives take so long to implement that they are obsolete by the time ground is broken. Live in constant fear of losing your job -- no work ever gets done. Sr Management promotes "culture" all the time, but acts like bullies -- swearing at and threatening employees. Company costs half a billion a year but does nothing.

Quit.

disaster every two years, third time's a charm?

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cancer Care Ontario full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

many good co workers, some work life balance

Cons

this is the 3rd time in my 8 years here. Every two years they fire all directors and hire new ones. I have survived a few times but losing interests. I am sceptical how long will this new VP last.

people are leaving because they are always treated like dirt whenever new management comes in. They put all the blames on people who survived.

third time's a charm, now they have a new VP. I don't know whether he will succeed but definitely he will hire new groups of directors from outside and fire more people

there are great people internally, should promote internal rather than hiring from external all the time. But you also need to fix the issues as others indicated - don't let senior management to hire their friends for every single positions.