Cancer Research UK

Cancer Research UK CEO Harpal Kumar
Harpal Kumar

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Brilliant place to work

Former Employee - Corporate Partnerships Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Corporate Partnerships Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at Cancer Research UK as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone who works at CR-UK wants to work there. Nobody is there just because they're looking for a job, so everyone is passionate about their role and this colours every aspect of working there. Everyone is friendly and everyone is approachable because essentially everyone is there for the same reason - to help people and to beat cancer.

Cons

Such a friendly working environment can sometimes become distracting! Making friends is easy, so a walk from one side of the office to the other can take a lot more time than you would expect

I would consider increasing pay to attract the best talent

Modern Day Slavery

Current Employee - Store Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Cancer Research UK full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My amazing and loyal volunteers who stick by me no matter what. My lovely regular customers who see and realize more then you think regarding the company _ note to head office.

Cons

I joined the company having lost a close one to cancer. I have been working in retail for years and thought i may as well retail manage for a good cause. Apart from the above mentioned, this has got to be the most vile and badly managed company i have come accross. There practices and the way they treat their managers are shocking. There is a play of egos amongst training managers, area managers were no set role is defind resulting to them speeking to you in which ever way they wont and have become so confident in doing so as knowone investigates. They will always hide behind 'we are fighting the cause' which allows them the behaviour created. The role of a manager is above and beyond the title as are its targets. Store targets, gift aid targets, cash donation targets, volunteering targets, fun day targets, donation station targets and all under the title of Store Manager. You get no praise for your work, and even if you achieve one target, they are quick to point out the ones you dont, making you feel belittled and unvalued. They make you incegnificant and praise only those high achievers to make you work harder. Complete bully boy tactics. There are Managers known to rig and manipulate there figures and bad practice just to meet there unresonable targerts. People off on stress including higher up, is stress not a caurse of cancer?, managers and drivers with back injuries through to the amount of lifting involved. No rewards and benefits just more more more. Company needs investicating........................

Get of your well payed arse and help rather then bully. Get a reality check and stop hiding behind we ae a charity to warrent your behaviour and bad practices.

3 words - work - money - gossip

Former Employee - Shop Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Cancer Research UK full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working for a cause
    Volunteers are great! the more you put into your vols the more you get from them and can build true friendships.

Cons

High Targets (if not unchievable)
    No team work (managers hoard stock and not share it, area manager allows this)
    No one this year in North London area has passed there probation all been extended
    Work load not just a manager also alot of community fundraising whilst trying to process stock and make money.
    training manager basically ran the area not the area manager
    No support from Regional, Area and Training managers
    Told to ask money from funeral parlours
    Being negative about staff behind there backs LOTS GOSSIP
    No praise AT ALL from area manager

Invest some real time and emotion in your staff give praise instead if playing head games being negative to make staff work harder. Beware of your managers doing overtime....some managers do 7 - 9 shifts. Many managers suffer from stress. Pay is not the issue its support and positivity needed in this role. Not leave vacancies open for 3 months to a year whilst manager struggles with staffing. Dont let managers poach.

I feel ashamed to see a company so corporate and more money focused than ppl focused. Sad sad times

VERY DEMANDING JOB - HARD - WORKLOAD IS TOO BIG & WAGE NOT GOOD

Current Employee - Shop Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Cancer Research UK full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You meet new people all the time. Every day is different and you face new problems on daily basis, which is great, as I love a challenge. It is great, to make the shop look nice and hear it from customers.

Cons

The job as Shop Manager (my job) is not that well paid. We are required to meet weekly DONATED TARGETS (income from donated sold items). If we do not meet them, our Area Managers then ''bully'' us, in terms of WHY DID WE NOT REACH THEM. I say bully, but it is like, daily calls, texts, etc., keep asking us, if we are at least half way through with the income of weekly target, texting us, way after closing time, with questions about the shop. I am not saying every AM is the same, but most of them are this way. They send us WAY TOO MUCH stock from other stores, and expect us to deal with it. When we say, we have no space for it,most of the AM say: TELL YOUR VOLUNTEERS TO DEL WITH IT.
    The worst is, that you are expected to REACH THE WEEKLY DONATED TARGETS ON TOP OF EVERYTHING ELSE. The job title is SHOP MANAGER, but they want you to be a fundraiser too. We need to organise FUN DAY every few months and raise in excess of £150. How? E.g. through tombolas, selling cakes etc. Then we need to organise DONATION STATIONS, and raise at least £2000 a year. HOW? Ask local business, if you could set up stall there, where people drop off their donations, or simply ask local business to donate their unwanted stock. OUR INTERNET IS BLOCKED: we cannot use e-mail, so of course, during day, you have no time for this, as you deal with donations, refunds, shop being tidy, training the volunteers, hiring volunteers, doing the H&S checks. When will you do it then? I tell you. At home, in your own time, but you get paid only for about 36 hours work weekly. In fact we do rarely have lunch breakes. Plus we need to overlook the H&S. Fire safety, etc. Area Managers just boss you around because of the targets, but are not very supportive.

Area Managers should listen to Shop Managers - should try to help, not pressurise
    Area Managers get lots of benefits, which Shop Managers do not, so please, have some respect.
    Area Meeting every month? It is waste of time, not necessary & waste of the charity's money, as we of course claim our travel money back. Most of the times, these meeting are silly.
    And the PDR'S? We have markings Exceeded expectations, BELOW etc. It is making us feel worthless and is not effective way of motivating us.
    You expect, that our HOLIDAYS will be covered by VOLUNTEERS ONLY, as you say, MOBILE MANAGERS can cover max. 2 days.It is actually not fair, as some of us have a problem to find the volunteers to cover 2 weeks wrth of holiday. Also the petty cash limit. You say £50 a week, but not every shop has that, when we look on our KPI.

labour intensive insensitive area manager

Former Employee - Shop Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Cancer Research UK full-time (less than an year)

Pros

giving for a charity, self satisfaction

Cons

hours and exuberant expectations area manager dont give a

get real and get off your backside

Great charity to work for but stay away from Major Giving and Appeals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Cancer Research UK full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic inspirational colleagues in many areas of the organisation and a wonderful cause to support.

Cons

Not many cons but having worked in other Charities and in other parts of CRUK I would have to say that the Major Giving and Appeals team is the cancer of CRUK. Terrible team culture and working environment.

Just imagine what could be achieved in the fight against cancer if staff were looked after better

Hard work, no appreciation

Current Employee - Shop Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Cancer Research UK (more than an year)

Pros

You have a chance to put your qualities at work to raise money for a great cause

Cons

Too much work and no appreciation, no help, just more targets. We passed beyond shop managers to fundraisers. We get new tasks every week to raise money, but when we ask for help thy can only say NO.

Invest in people from retail. Don't treat them like slaves. They are humans and they can only do what they were trained to do: run shop. We are not fundraisers!!!

Hard work, little appreciAtion.

Current Employee - Shop Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Cancer Research UK full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its good to feel you are helping to beat cancer.

Cons

The organisation is divided into the retail branch and the rest of the charity. In the retail branch we are expected to work extremely hard, under a great deal of pressure, without thanks or appreciation. Whenever i visit head office its like another world.

Value your people. Train your middle management to say "well done" and "thankyou".

Allow your excellent specialist retailers to focus on retail. We are great at that. Stop trying to turn us into fund raisers. We are rubbish at that, unlike your excellent fundraising department.

One day they will beat Cancer!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Cancer Research UK full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Cancer Research UK is run like a FTSE 100 and has the benefit of being full of highly motivated and great people. They pay well for the sector and invest in their people through both internal and external training. They are at the forefront of sector developments and really lead the way making you feel proud for working there.

Cons

The IT department has a lot of people however this does not translate to a lot of output. Now under new leadership I would expect this to change quite quickly.

Make sure the people recognise the great progress and achievements they are making, in the strive for continuous improvement this can get a little lost.

I interned at theorganisation as a media and communications intern.

Former Employee - Media and Communication Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Media and Communication Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at Cancer Research UK as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly and you get to move about in the organisation to see what other peoples roles involve. There is a good inductionto the internship and you are encouraged to set your own goals as to what you want to achive. My manager took a lot of time to do this with me and was making sure I got a lot out of it.

Cons

It was unpaid but I wasdoing actually work that was used externally. Expenses are paid but perhaps they need to consider how ethical it is to use so many unpaid interns year round. During this time I also applied to the graduate scheme but was rejected before the interview and was told not to ask for feedback. This is disheartening when you are giving up so much time to work for free to hear that we can't even get any feedback as to why. It sends the message that youre good enough to work for free but not to be paid.

Consider paying interns when they are doing actual work or else run a work shadowing programme instead.

Cancer Research UK Photos

Cancer Research UK charity shop, Penarth (Photo thanks to Geograph user Jaggery, Some Rights Reserved)
Cancer Research UK, 19A Witton Street, Northwich (Photo thanks to Geograph user Roger A Smith, Some Rights Reserved)
Cancer Research UK (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo