Cancer Research UK

Harpal Kumar

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Hard work, no appreciation

Shop Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsYou have a chance to put your qualities at work to raise money for a great cause

ConsToo much work and no appreciation, no help, just more targets. We passed beyond shop managers to fundraisers. We get new tasks every week to raise money, but when we ask for help thy can only say NO.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in people from retail. Don't treat them like slaves. They are humans and they can only do what they were trained to do: run shop. We are not fundraisers!!!

Hard work, little appreciAtion.

Shop Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIts good to feel you are helping to beat cancer.

ConsThe organisation is divided into the retail branch and the rest of the charity. In the retail branch we are expected to work extremely hard, under a great deal of pressure, without thanks or appreciation. Whenever i visit head office its like another world.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your people. Train your middle management to say "well done" and "thankyou".

Allow your excellent specialist retailers to focus on retail. We are great at that. Stop trying to turn us into fund raisers. We are rubbish at that, unlike your excellent fundraising department.

One day they will beat Cancer!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsCancer Research UK is run like a FTSE 100 and has the benefit of being full of highly motivated and great people. They pay well for the sector and invest in their people through both internal and external training. They are at the forefront of sector developments and really lead the way making you feel proud for working there.

ConsThe IT department has a lot of people however this does not translate to a lot of output. Now under new leadership I would expect this to change quite quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the people recognise the great progress and achievements they are making, in the strive for continuous improvement this can get a little lost.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I interned at theorganisation as a media and communications intern.

Media and Communication Intern (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsEveryone is friendly and you get to move about in the organisation to see what other peoples roles involve. There is a good inductionto the internship and you are encouraged to set your own goals as to what you want to achive. My manager took a lot of time to do this with me and was making sure I got a lot out of it.

ConsIt was unpaid but I wasdoing actually work that was used externally. Expenses are paid but perhaps they need to consider how ethical it is to use so many unpaid interns year round. During this time I also applied to the graduate scheme but was rejected before the interview and was told not to ask for feedback. This is disheartening when you are giving up so much time to work for free to hear that we can't even get any feedback as to why. It sends the message that youre good enough to work for free but not to be paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider paying interns when they are doing actual work or else run a work shadowing programme instead.

Company doesn't care at all about employees unfortunately

Shop Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWorking for a good cause and raising money for cancer research

ConsThere's no career progression for the people outside HQ and feels like company miss real opportunities to raise more money for the cause

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should be leaders not just the people with the power. You should care more about the employees from retail, because when they go the charity lose lots of money and is not right.

So far so good

Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIt makes you feel like you are doing something important for the world.

ConsQuite low stipend considering te amount of work

Good research work but very challenging environment to work in.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsAmazing cause. Some good people working there. Well know brand for the CV. For fundraising and marketing roles - lots of opportunity.

ConsVery negative environment in the support functions. Lack of confidence in management. No leadership. Roles not clear and very difficult to implement change. Lots of new enthusiastic people but no one making real decisions. Internal communication poor. A real case of 'too many chiefs!'

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a more clear management structure. More leadership from the top. Create roles, job descriptions and titles that make sense. Work out what is needed from the role and the skills needed BEFORE recruiting.

A dynamic employer where you can contribute to an amazing cause

Project Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsPassionate people who care about the cause and go above and beyond
    Close connection to cancer research even in non-scientific roles
    Dynamic, high calibre colleagues
    Good focus on development and training
    Good balance of friendly charity culture (e.g. reasonable hours) and professional corporate environment
    Excellent pension

ConsWhile a good focus on development, career progression opportunities are not always there
    Lower remuneration than equivalent jobs in private / public sector, but same expectation for hours

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to make the exciting new strategy meaningful for non-scientific staff
    Continue to increase the focus on enabling career progression within charity

Challenging, interesting, great people

PhD Student (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsClever, passionate and witty people. Good cause. Challenging and interesting work.

ConsIt's hard to find a better research PhD position anywhere in the world than this funded by CRUK. Having said that the expectations are really high and you do have to work hard and often long hours. Also, CRUK offers additional training in communication which is very useful and the PhD programme is more structured than elsewhere.

Had an amazing year working in the legacy admin department. A nice break from the cut-throat world of private practice l

Legacy Officer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsPositives include the generally happy, driven staff. Canteen was always excellent. Free coffee! Nice social atmosphere. Salary was extremely competitive

ConsVery large organisation and not much interaction with other departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I am honest I think they could pay their staff less, and save more money for charitable causes. File admin system on the computer was slightly out dated.

Worked for Cancer Research UK? Contribute to the Community!