Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014

2.1

Gerard van Grinsven

Pros
  • Leadership at each hospital is excellent, they really care about their stakeholders, and about great patient care (in 4 reviews)

• Fair pay, great benefits, and great wellness program (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is an issue if you're not diligent at protecting your free time (in 6 reviews)

• During my interview the new PTO program was highlighted as a benefit but they took it away because it would cost to much money (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time

Pros

Love the environment! Room for advancement.. Great training

Cons

Hours can get difficult..
    Long commute

Just started working for CTCA and I love it!

Current Employee - Stakeholder  in  Goodyear, AZ
    Current Employee - Stakeholder in Goodyear, AZ

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Love the food, the benefit rates, the free vitamin supplements, the 401K matching, the new lap top and headset enabling me to work from home, the five star office furniture environment, flexibility with work hours, the local business discounts. The salary is very generous - no complaints there.

Cons

The business is expanding quite quickly, so there are definately growing pains. If you are not afraid of change, then you should take advantage of the careers opportunities that will come.

Epizeuxis: Communication, Communication, Communication!

Grateful for the experience

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time

Pros

Excellent Mission
    Outstanding Patient Care
    Striving to meet their Vision

Cons

Work load
    Difficult to maintain work/life balance
    Executives can be a little too removed from reality

Get your hands dirty

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management keeps telling us it's "The Best Place to Work" but the employees disagree.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Zion, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zion, IL

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits but are slowly being phased out. Excellent for patients but not employees. Patient satisfaction scores are consistently high.

Cons

This used to be a great place to work but not any longer. Too top heavy. A lot of 6 figure salaries that merely exist and offer nothing except to ignore concerns, lie to us or disenfranchise the employees who do the actual work. Senior managers either don't know any answers or are threatened by basic questions which do not require much knowledge to answer. Our recent employee satisfaction scores are considerably lower each time without any changes implemented to improve. We are surveyed often and the same concerns are expressed. There is minimal opportunity for change. Current employees are not give any preferences to transfer departments and those positions are often given to new employees. It's not what you know but who you know. It is truly a popularity contest for the cheerleaders. The annual bonus is being phased out but our Talent department still uses this as a negotiating tool for new hires to make up for a low starting salary. PTO was implemented then quickly done away with due to a "math error".

Cut some management salaries or positions. Increase pay and keep or reestablish benefits for the employees who keep the patient satisfaction scores high. When you have unhappy employees it will eventually be visible to the patients.

Hands down, worst employer I've ever had the misfortune of working for

Current Employee - Oncology Sales  in  Newnan, GA
    Current Employee - Oncology Sales in Newnan, GA

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Absolutely zero. I would say the patient care, but that would be neglecting the fact that patients are cherry picked, and only commercially insured patients get through. Oh, and the absolute minimal amount of Medicare needed to keep that 'we're medicare licensed' line in the bag when credibility is questioned.

Cons

Too many to list. Primarily, this is a scam company. Culture is such that hard work is not rewarded. The best strategy is to do just enough to not get noticed, otherwise you'll be seen as a threat by a "manager" that has either never worked in healthcare, or that was some intern from Wabash college (owner's son went there), or is an exec's kid. Supposedly, being the spawn of some rich suit is enough to run a department and make decisions. There is no promotion opportunity. Pay is routinely 're-evaluated', and the disgust you'll leave with every day, having to answer to the people in charge is very hard to stomach. Sure, it'll sound good when you interview, but when you strip away the pretty commercials, and the 'let's defend our brand online in message boards (trust me, many of the positive reviews here are from the marketing dept), you'll be left shaking your head in utter amazement.

sell. For profit cancer care run as a country club. Sure, it's good for margins, but if you want to build a brand, you're not. Sell to HCA or some other for profit company that can blend societal good with bottom line margins.

And do you really need 4 corporate jets?

Leadership Keeps Getting Richer and Stakeholders Poorer

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Zion, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Zion, IL

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, wellness program, and great mission.

Cons

We are in a state of disarray and it gets worse monthly. Leadership decided to change the culture through a program called Reimagine but the culture and company was not broken. The company has become unbearable which has caused many stakeholders to leave. Leadership is never around. They fly around the world on the private jets, get chauffeured around in limos, go to Europe for "meetings" and vacations, and drive around in cars that are as expensive as most of the stakeholders houses. They moved corporate to Boca Raton because of tax savings but we don't see any of the benefit. The stakeholders are told that money is scarce and now we're being told that the stakeholder loyalty bonus may go away. We are no longer treated like stakeholders!

If money is scarce, take benefits away from leadership. Make them fly commercial airlines in coach, take taxis, and take away the leadership bonuses before taking away the stakeholder loyalty bonus and benefits. Make them take responsibility for Reimagine and their failures.

A Huge disappointment.

Current Employee - IS Technology  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - IS Technology in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Benefits are comparable to industry.

Cons

Cutthroat environment leads to disengaged employees. It's not what you know, but who you know.

IS Department Still In Chaos

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Pros

Potential to be a great place to work where even IS employees could be passionate about their jobs and feel good to be a part of an organization that saves lives.

Cons

At this time, the senior management team has not provided clear direction or guidance for IS employees who have been in turmoil for well over a year. Numerous cover-ups and poor communication create a culture of mistrust and frustration which results in much time spent on unproductive work product. Unfortunately, a recent internal survey supports the negative comments and ratings already posted on this site, that is 45% of IS employees would not recommend CTCA to a friend seeking employment.

Senior Management needs to set a clear direction immediately and communicate openly and honestly with all IS employees about their future. Most current IS employees would support a senior leadership change in the Applications department, i.e. hiring a VP with healthcare experience.

The promise is more attractive than the reality.

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time

Pros

Good mission. Great salary and benefits including well care, gym reimbursement, tuition, training. Nice campus. Monthly scheduled leadership meetings with entire workforce invited.

Cons

They talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.

Poor record keeping and few historical files due to long-time turnover in my section.

Really look at root of turnover issues and do something about them. A few spoil it for the many.

Complete Craziness

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Pros

No pros exist at CTCA.

Cons

I contacted the former CIO for a letter of recommendation last week. Yesterday he informed me that he couldn't provide the letter because CTCA sent him a cease and desist letter from helping any CTCA stakeholder leave. The CEO's vendetta with the former CIO continues.

Worry less about blocking stakeholders from leaving and more about addressing CTCA's problems! We won't want to leave then!

Worked for Cancer Treatment Centers of America? Contribute to the Community!