Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Updated September 28, 2014
Updated September 28, 2014
2.0

Gerard van Grinsven

Pros
  • CTCA has a great model of patient care, and also believes in nurturing its best and brightest employees (in 6 reviews)

• Fair pay, great benefits, and great wellness program (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is an issue if you're not diligent at protecting your free time (in 6 reviews)

• Bonner is no longer the CEO, so ratings about CEO pertain to the new CEO (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

The growth goals are out of touch with reality and make the job very stressful

Current Employee - Growth  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Growth in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation is good
    In general good employees

Cons

Stressful
    Lack of work/life balance
    Too many middle managers
    Lack of career growth opportunities

Focus on the big picture for future growth and not just the short term goals. You continue to lose good employees because of the narrow focus.

Too fasted paced and stressful

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time

Pros

Good benefits, and good culture

Cons

At times the staffing is short and envoronment is too fast paced

CTCA- great place to start a career

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

CTCA has a great model of patient care, and also believes in nurturing its best and brightest employees.

Cons

Rapid expansion across the organization can sometimes make for a chaotic workplace, but most everyone is hardworking and good-natured to the point where this is not a major problem.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

“Disillusionment - It's all Smoke and Mirrors”

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have worked for CTCA for the better part of 12 years and the pay afforded me to support my children through college. The stakeholders are very compassionate to patients.

Cons

All the company cares about is revenue - My father was diagnosed with cancer two years ago just before turning 64 and I encouraged him to be treated at CTCA. Four months ago he started feeling poorly and called to schedule an appointment with his Oncologist. He was declined an appointment stating that he “no longer met financial policy and should have been transitioned when he turned 65.” I was perplexed and went to speak with someone in the business office only to be told “don’t be so naïve - we only keep patients when they have the ability to pay and Medicare reimbursement isn’t going to cut it. He can pay out of pocket but we will need a $50,000 up front payment.” I decided to go speak with someone in a leadership capacity knowing the story about how close the Chairman was with his mother and his struggle to find her quality cancer care assuming they would make an exception since I have been a long standing, dedicated CTCA stakeholder, only to hear “I cannot believe you fell for that B.S. The Chairman and his mother had an astringed relationship. They made up that story for marketing purposes just like a lot of the other things you hear around here. I would never bring a family member of mine here for treatment” Needless to say my father found a different Oncologist who provides outstanding care and is doing better than he has been since his initial diagnosis. I, on the other hand, am actively seeking employment outside of CTCA. I cannot continue to work for a company with such unethical values.

Whatever I put here woudl fall on deaf ears anyway.

A few spoil it for the many

Pros

Working for an organization who appears to help those in need. Creating the initial razzle dazzle package of benefits to attract new employees.

Cons

Seems "those in need" definition applies only to customers/patients, and not to the staff working hard to increase coordination and communications, and make positive changes in service and growth.

Benefits are superficial and short term. Would prefer less pay and fewer benefits if organization actually worked with managers to be better managers, and with staff who have suggestions on improvements but aren't being heard.

To CTCA Public Affairs, who seem to be responding to our posts now: You responded: "If you were still employed with us, we would have encouraged you to share your concerns with your manager or Talent partner, because we are committed to maintaining a positive workplace and committed to addressing Stakeholders’ (employees’) concerns immediately." I did. Over many months. To my manager (who was a significant part of the problem), and to HR ("Talent") who were also unhelpful.

Was once a great company to work for but not anymore!

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time

Pros

Only positive is the job market is good. Managers will allow low performance because they are desperate to retain stakeholders.

Cons

Company is sinking fast. Stakeholders are even resigning before the stakeholder loyalty bonus is paid. Only stakeholders remaining at corporate are those that cannot get another job or stakeholders paid to stay.

No advice for management. My advice to former stakeholders, get out now before you can't find another job! My advice to new stakeholders, get ready for going away parties.

Sales

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time

Pros

Love the environment! Room for advancement.. Great training

Cons

Hours can get difficult..
    Long commute

Greed is good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Zion, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zion, IL

Pros

There is more budget available for medical equipment and staffing compared to other hospitals. Great food and easy parking (now).

Cons

We have lost our way. The Stephenson's nor management are focused on patient care anymore. The goals for the last year have been moving Corporate, popularity contests via the stakeholder loyalty survey, spinning off new companies, and making money. The concept of being "only and always about the patient" is not dying, it's dead.

The change in direction began with the new leadership. Revive the old mission and find leadership to deliver it.

Just started working for CTCA and I love it!

Current Employee - Stakeholder  in  Goodyear, AZ
    Current Employee - Stakeholder in Goodyear, AZ

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Love the food, the benefit rates, the free vitamin supplements, the 401K matching, the new lap top and headset enabling me to work from home, the five star office furniture environment, flexibility with work hours, the local business discounts. The salary is very generous - no complaints there.

Cons

The business is expanding quite quickly, so there are definately growing pains. If you are not afraid of change, then you should take advantage of the careers opportunities that will come.

Epizeuxis: Communication, Communication, Communication!

Cancer Treatment Centers of America Response

Sep 16, 2014Communications Director

We are glad to hear you are happy with your employment at CTCA. CTCA invests considerable resources into the benefits and wellness offerings for Stakeholders (employees), and it sounds like you are ... More

Hands down, worst employer I've ever had the misfortune of working for

Current Employee - Oncology Sales  in  Newnan, GA
    Current Employee - Oncology Sales in Newnan, GA

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Absolutely zero. I would say the patient care, but that would be neglecting the fact that patients are cherry picked, and only commercially insured patients get through. Oh, and the absolute minimal amount of Medicare needed to keep that 'we're medicare licensed' line in the bag when credibility is questioned.

Cons

Too many to list. Primarily, this is a scam company. Culture is such that hard work is not rewarded. The best strategy is to do just enough to not get noticed, otherwise you'll be seen as a threat by a "manager" that has either never worked in healthcare, or that was some intern from Wabash college (owner's son went there), or is an exec's kid. Supposedly, being the spawn of some rich suit is enough to run a department and make decisions. There is no promotion opportunity. Pay is routinely 're-evaluated', and the disgust you'll leave with every day, having to answer to the people in charge is very hard to stomach. Sure, it'll sound good when you interview, but when you strip away the pretty commercials, and the 'let's defend our brand online in message boards (trust me, many of the positive reviews here are from the marketing dept), you'll be left shaking your head in utter amazement.

sell. For profit cancer care run as a country club. Sure, it's good for margins, but if you want to build a brand, you're not. Sell to HCA or some other for profit company that can blend societal good with bottom line margins.

And do you really need 4 corporate jets?

Cancer Treatment Centers of America Photos

CTCA at the 2010 Nursing Spectrum Excellence Awards
CTCA at 2010 Nursing Spectrum Excellence Awards. Heahter Brown, Paul Gehringer and Niomi Samodai

+ Add Photo

Worked for Cancer Treatment Centers of America? Contribute to the Community!