Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015
2.4

Gerard van Grinsven

Pros
  • Stakeholders were focused on patient care (in 7 reviews)

• Working both in the corporate office and having the chance to work in an hospital has provided me with a great glimpse of how things are (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is an issue if you're not diligent at protecting your free time (in 7 reviews)

• Bonner is no longer the CEO, so ratings about CEO pertain to the new CEO (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Strong Culture, Excellent Care Model -- But Not For Everyone

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is strong and pervasive-- you either fit or you don't. That may explain some of the negative reviews here. The care model is superb, and patients LOVE CTCA. Government HCAHPs (for patient satisfaction) scores show CTCA far above all of the competition. And CTCA is on many local 'best place to work' lists. Pay is competitive, with an excellent bonus system.

Cons

They do work you hard, and hire Type A, committed people. If you can't keep up, you may feel a work life balance issue. But the people you work with are smart and interesting, and you become very connected with each other. Senior management can have a bit of a tin ear, but isn't it part of any job to complain about management? CTCA is definitely patient centric, but equally profit-centric (but as any service business realizes, those two can be very compatible!).

Listen better and communicate more! And perhaps ease up on the fancy suits. It creates a distance with the 'real people' stakeholders you are supposed to serve (servant leadership!).

Great company, competent leadership, & passionate team members!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I joined CTCA late last year because I was attracted to CTCA based on their mission and focus of keeping the patient at the center. I am happy that I joined the organization and I look forward to a promising career. I have been impressed with the level of competence from all of the team members at the headquarters and I have been totally blown away with the professionalism, expertise, commitment and passion at the hospitals I have visited. You are given a license to operate, empowered to make moment of truth decisions, and an opportunity to provide candid input or feedback.

What is Unique:
    1). The Daily Connections/Roundup: All employees on a daily basis meet briefly as a team or department to discuss the mission, culture, good news, recognition, or insights
    2). Hospital. One visit to the hospital and you will know that your work matters. From interactions with the patients to team members, everyone is focused on the same goal.

Cons

Dress attire (business) could be a con for some but it is not that bad. It took a while to get adjusted to it
    Facial hair policy might be outdated

Continue be servant leaders and listen to input from team members

Jan 19, 2015Director of Social Media

We’re glad to hear that your career with us is off to a great start. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and perspective as a new CTCA Stakeholder (employee). We wish you continued ... More

Outstanding company

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive culture, opportunities for growth, patient-focused, employees have a voice

Cons

multiple locations can make collaboration/communication challenging

Jan 19, 2015Director of Social Media

Thanks for your commitment and dedication to our patients as a CTCA Stakeholder (employee) for over 5 years! We’re happy to know you’re experiencing first-hand our culture of empowerment and ... More

Does not compensate well

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time

Pros

good food
    nice staff
    good potential

Cons

Does not pay well
    Does not keep their word with compensation

Foster a supportive environment for your stakeholders!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Pros

Salary and Benefits good. Strong mission, vision, values.

Cons

More flexible time off options. highly political environment. I agree that a few few spoil it for many.

Eliminate individual goal setting and focus on group goals. This will put everyone working together instead of against each other. Eliminate committees and institute task forces; empower/hold accountable directors instead. Properly staff support roles to open up career paths. Use spot awards to recognize outstanding individual contributions.

Money maker for high ranking Freemason funding the TEA Party

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time

Pros

You've heard of the Koch brothers, right? Meet Richard J Stephenson. He's not quite as rich as the Kochs, but he's made plenty of money selling the concept of "Hope" to dying patients. What is Hope? It's an intangible. There's no metric around Hope. Hope is faith that you'll get better...that CTCA Dr's will do the impossible...that you'll live. Hope is a marketing concept and CTCA is a Marketing organization. The company spends more on Marketing than they do on just about any other part of the organization.

So what is CTCA? It's a money making investment for the Stephenson family. Oh sure, it's a project born from the love between a boy and his mom. Listen to RJS make that speech enough times and in your head you'll say "And queue the throat clearing and tear down his cheek...and.....now." It's rehearsed. It's a performance.

It's a way to fund TEA party politicians and an attempt to remove regulation on businesses. He'll try to pass laws in favor of discrimination while complaining there are too many laws. He'll charge much higher prices than competitors for the exact same services, but complain that taxes are too high.

He has yachts, private jets and mansions paid for by cancer patients who want to buy that HOPE. Some live, some die, all pay. It's not cheap and he doesn't give out freebies. This is a money maker for him and he sees it as such.

There are hundreds of stories out there about how terrible of a person he is. Work for CTCA and you're now part of the problem with America. You're now working for the TEA Party.

Cons

Everything is a con, especially the company. Trust me, and MRI is an MRI but it costs more at CTCA. You can get the same chemo closer to home for a lot less. The management are a bunch of con artists.

Everyone you work with will try to stab you in the back, throw you under the bus and blame everything on you. It's not about getting the best work done, it's about making others look bad. It's a toxic, vile culture that's aggressive and vindictive. There are no perks or benefits.

You look ridiculous in those suits.

Dec 29, 2014Director of Social Media

We are extremely disappointed to read that you had a negative experience while employed by Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA). We value all feedback from both current and previous ... More

Nurses not valued

Current Employee - Infusion RN
    Current Employee - Infusion RN

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Absolutely wonderful place if you are a patient. Great place if you want to sit around with nothing to do, then all at once have too much to do.

Cons

Incredible amounts of lying told by management; "It's like Disneyland for Nurses" "Don't be skeptical, drink the Kool-Aide" Then, when your back is turned they have nurses running to their office to make things up about what poor work you are doing. Manager, in turn, "drinks that Kool-Aide" and believes it. Consequently through no fault of your own you get reprimanded. Nurses are told they can visit with the patients, in truth, it is frowned upon. Working here is like Disneyland....a dizzying ride of deceit and manipulative deception. Then, they fire people who have been a good loyal employee for some trumped up reason. The infusion Dept. promotes nurses who make deathly mistakes. The infusion manager could not manage his way out of a paper sack.

Look at who you are promoting.....are they naive? Do some of the other employees know more than them? EDUCATE, EDUCATE EDUCATE.!!

so far a great place to work

Current Employee - IS Stakeholder
    Current Employee - IS Stakeholder

Pros

So far, being a new stakeholder has been a great experience. Working both in the corporate office and having the chance to work in an hospital has provided me with a great glimpse of how things are. CTCA has a great mission, vision and values, and its up to the stakeholders to help uphold them. Its up to the stakeholders to help make the company an amazing one. I know that my coworkers and management have been amazing, even through our department reorganization.
    A fairly nice collection of benefits: average healthcare(medical/dental/vision), great 401k (4% fully vested match on 5% of pay contributions), life insurance, tuition programs, etc. Average number of time off

Cons

If you stick it out, the balance between work, pay and life works itself out. If you don't put in the hard work, and the time, you wouldn't get the bonuses that come.
    The benefits seem amazing and low cost, but that's until you realize how the medical plans are constructed. Co-insurance is the cheap way out, and there is no way to predict your health costs. PLEASE SWITCH TO A CO-PAY PLAN, rather than co-insurance. Even with contributions to HSA, and Healthy awards, the cost of healthcare with co-insurance is considerably more expensive.
    Communication: there seems to be a lack of communication from the top down. Changes come down over night, and middle management isn't even prepared to answer stakeholder questions on vision and plan for their departments.
    Time off shouldn't be spread into so many categories (Vacation, Holidays, sick, personal,etc), it just makes it confusing.

communicate more and with details with stakeholders. Live up to the mission, vision and values you set-forth, and balance out management bonuses with stakeholder bonuses.

Dec 20, 2014Director of Social Media

I’m happy to hear that your first year at CTCA is going well.

I understand that the reorganization from our Reimagine program has created many changes across the organization and we appreciate
    ... More

Tired of working for "lean" business.

Current Employee - Stakeholder in Goodyear, AZ
    Current Employee - Stakeholder in Goodyear, AZ

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary is good. Benefits are good. Cafeteria food is good.

Cons

You will work long hours. I know of three people who have left because they are tired of working those hours.

You guys are so decentralized that not one of you has any influence to make change happen across the organization.

Wish Zero Stars was an Option

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Pros

It started out great. I really liked all of my coworkers and believed in the company. The people who I worked with were the best part.

Cons

The work life balance is heavily skewed to work. The benefits plan is not that great for being a hospital.

Consider having more flexible time off policies.

Cancer Treatment Centers of America Photos

CTCA at the 2010 Nursing Spectrum Excellence Awards
CTCA at 2010 Nursing Spectrum Excellence Awards. Heahter Brown, Paul Gehringer and Niomi Samodai

+ Add Photo