Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Updated October 25, 2014
Updated October 25, 2014
2.2

Gerard van Grinsven

Pros
  • CTCA has a great model of patient care, and also believes in nurturing its best and brightest employees (in 6 reviews)

• Fair pay, great benefits, and great wellness program (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is an issue if you're not diligent at protecting your free time (in 7 reviews)

• Bonner is no longer the CEO, so ratings about CEO pertain to the new CEO (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Company with a heart for patients

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time

Pros

Always put patients at the heart of all decisions "treat every patient as you would want your loved one treated"

Cons

Public perception about CTCA is not true to what actually happens with the patient experience. It's an amazing place and you only have to walk in the door of one of the hospitals to experience it.

Be strong in aligning the hospitals across the country.

Wish I'd never left

Former Employee - Marketing in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I left CTCA a few years ago to pursue a really good opportunity. Every day since, I've missed the people I worked with and the cancer patients and families I served. And no, I'm not a corporate HR person - this is a real review.

Cons

I understand that the culture has changed in the past couple of years. I can't speak to that, but I'd rejoin the company in a heartbeat if invited back in. The only negative comment I have to offer is that the nature of the business - cancer treatment - means that sometimes you have to deal with the sadness of losing a patient you've grown attached to.

The growth goals are out of touch with reality and make the job very stressful

Current Employee - Growth in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Growth in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation is good
    In general good employees

Cons

Stressful
    Lack of work/life balance
    Too many middle managers
    Lack of career growth opportunities

Focus on the big picture for future growth and not just the short term goals. You continue to lose good employees because of the narrow focus.

Too fasted paced and stressful

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time

Pros

Good benefits, and good culture

Cons

At times the staffing is short and envoronment is too fast paced

Executives only concern is how much their executive bonus will be.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

For patients who have the right insurance, the care is very good.

Cons

If you don't drink the CTCA kool-aid, you will have a very tough time surviving. There is so much back-stabbing and game playing it's difficult to get your job done if your position is in management. They tell you to think outside of the box, but that's not really what they want. Unless you are part of the "in" club at a location, forget it. Most of the executive team cares pretty much only about their executive bonus. This bonus can be, and usually is, 50-60% of their salary. The charges for medications at the hospitals is significantly higher than most other hospitals and healthcare providers. The chemo charges can be hundreds of times higher than the cost.
    Management paints a pretty picture to their Board of Directors. Reports submitted to the Boards are often incomplete and/or have inaccurate data reported,
    Human Resources at most of the locations is a joke.Of course, they call it Talent, not HR. Many of the high level HR people have absolutely no prior experience with either talent acquisition or human resources, but they are good cheerleaders.
    Anonymous concerns are completely disregarded by management, and often ridiculed.

Management does not want advice. If it's offered, they ignore it and penalize the people offering advi

CTCA- great place to start a career

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CTCA has a great model of patient care, and also believes in nurturing its best and brightest employees.

Cons

Rapid expansion across the organization can sometimes make for a chaotic workplace, but most everyone is hardworking and good-natured to the point where this is not a major problem.

Little Washington

Former Employee - General Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - General Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'm still thinking on this one.

Cons

Backstabbing, Nepotism Central, Senior Management manages with blinders on. If you aren't pretty and thin you are not in. Cant trust upper management

Come out of the ivory tower every once in a while and listen to your stakeholders. The education of upper management doesn't mean anything if they cannot interact and manage people. The SLT's need overhauled just like the Talent Departments across all the sites. Sad.

“Disillusionment - It's all Smoke and Mirrors”

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for CTCA for the better part of 12 years and the pay afforded me to support my children through college. The stakeholders are very compassionate to patients.

Cons

All the company cares about is revenue - My father was diagnosed with cancer two years ago just before turning 64 and I encouraged him to be treated at CTCA. Four months ago he started feeling poorly and called to schedule an appointment with his Oncologist. He was declined an appointment stating that he “no longer met financial policy and should have been transitioned when he turned 65.” I was perplexed and went to speak with someone in the business office only to be told “don’t be so naïve - we only keep patients when they have the ability to pay and Medicare reimbursement isn’t going to cut it. He can pay out of pocket but we will need a $50,000 up front payment.” I decided to go speak with someone in a leadership capacity knowing the story about how close the Chairman was with his mother and his struggle to find her quality cancer care assuming they would make an exception since I have been a long standing, dedicated CTCA stakeholder, only to hear “I cannot believe you fell for that B.S. The Chairman and his mother had an astringed relationship. They made up that story for marketing purposes just like a lot of the other things you hear around here. I would never bring a family member of mine here for treatment” Needless to say my father found a different Oncologist who provides outstanding care and is doing better than he has been since his initial diagnosis. I, on the other hand, am actively seeking employment outside of CTCA. I cannot continue to work for a company with such unethical values.

Whatever I put here woudl fall on deaf ears anyway.

A few spoil it for the many

Pros

Working for an organization who appears to help those in need. Creating the initial razzle dazzle package of benefits to attract new employees.

Cons

Seems "those in need" definition applies only to customers/patients, and not to the staff working hard to increase coordination and communications, and make positive changes in service and growth.

Benefits are superficial and short term. Would prefer less pay and fewer benefits if organization actually worked with managers to be better managers, and with staff who have suggestions on improvements but aren't being heard.

To CTCA Public Affairs, who seem to be responding to our posts now: You responded: "If you were still employed with us, we would have encouraged you to share your concerns with your manager or Talent partner, because we are committed to maintaining a positive workplace and committed to addressing Stakeholders’ (employees’) concerns immediately." I did. Over many months. To my manager (who was a significant part of the problem), and to HR ("Talent") who were also unhelpful.

Was once a great company to work for but not anymore!

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time

Pros

Only positive is the job market is good. Managers will allow low performance because they are desperate to retain stakeholders.

Cons

Company is sinking fast. Stakeholders are even resigning before the stakeholder loyalty bonus is paid. Only stakeholders remaining at corporate are those that cannot get another job or stakeholders paid to stay.

No advice for management. My advice to former stakeholders, get out now before you can't find another job! My advice to new stakeholders, get ready for going away parties.

Cancer Treatment Centers of America Photos

CTCA at the 2010 Nursing Spectrum Excellence Awards
CTCA at 2010 Nursing Spectrum Excellence Awards. Heahter Brown, Paul Gehringer and Niomi Samodai

+ Add Photo