Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Updated April 1, 2015
109 reviews filtered by
2.8
Gerard van Grinsven

Pros
  • Stakeholders were focused on patient care (in 7 reviews)

• Working both in the corporate office and having the chance to work in an hospital has provided me with a great glimpse of how things are (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is an issue if you're not diligent at protecting your free time (in 7 reviews)

• Bonner is no longer the CEO, so ratings about CEO pertain to the new CEO (in 5 reviews)

1. Great company but there management could use a little help

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great mission and vision. Hospital helps people with there cancer and there lives. Promotion of treating people is great.

Cons

No leadership direction. Goals are not clearly spelled out. Bonus that was negotiated at hire is gone. Overall the company has changed.

Advice to Management

Try to promote what you preach. Learn to promote from within. Groom people who are willing to grow. Open doors that can be opened to allow people advancement opportunities.

2. A company that consistently strives to create a great work experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goodyear, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goodyear, AZ

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people CTCA hires are the kindest I've ever encountered in a health care setting. The physicians are accessible and senior leadership is visible, always asking how they can help.

Cons

CTCA has an expectation that employees exceed patients expectations. It can easily impact your work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Your accessibility and visibility actually do affect morale. Please continue. Please continue to work hard to retain our stakeholders, at all levels.

3. Best Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mother Standard of Care is not just for patients, but for employees, too. Direct team members, as well as people from different departments and centers were always ready to help out and ask how you were doing with genuine interest. One of the best companies I've ever worked for.

Benefits on par with top employers.
    Professional development opportunities.
    Positive/healthy work environment.
    Caring leadership.
    Competitive salary.
    Opportunities for growth/promotions.
    Safe/secure buildings. Clean.
    Amazing food on site and cafe.

Cons

I did not personally experience anything negative during my time as an employee.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees and investing in their professional development. Allow more flexible work hours when appropriate to job function.

5. Great place to work

Former Intern - Pharmacy Technician in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Intern - Pharmacy Technician in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America as an intern (More than 5 years)

Pros

- the employees are all about having a positive attitude and everyone is very friendly and kind
    - awesome yearly bonus every year in September
    - very clean and safe work environment
    - worked in many hospitals throughout my career and this was by far the best hospital environment in Philadelphia area

Cons

- no cons that I can think of

Advice to Management

n/a

6. Cancer Treatment Centers of America is the best place I have ever worked!

Current Employee - Talent Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Talent Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The patient is at the center of everything we do - it's very refreshing

Cons

No downside at this point

Advice to Management

Continue your focus on the inspiration drivers - authenticity, servant leadership, and courage!

This organization lacks diversity and hinders professional growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As far as patient care, CTCA has an amazing mission and provides patients with a mother standard of care. Stakeholders and doctors ensure patients are completely satisfied with their care and treatment, and most of the time they are! This facility is truly amazing. Stakeholders are friendly, almost like a family. It's rare to see someone walking around without a smile on their face. Stakeholders truly make a difference in the lives of patients and caregivers living with cancer. If our worth was measured by the smiles we provide patients with on a daily, we'd be priceless. There's a very lax work-life balance because stakeholders are like family. Company values and mission are clear and something stakeholders hold at a high standard.

Cons

CTCA lacks diversity in management and offers little to no room for professional growth. While management is accessible and readily available there's a misconnection. Stakeholders are often denied the opportunity to move up. Stakeholders with accreditation and in-house experience, myself included, are often overlooked and undervalued.

Advice to Management

Upper management should focus on eliminating the communication gap between stakeholders. Listen to your team members, provide them with opportunities for growth, promote within, and truly value the members of your team.

Also, CTCA has expanded its services to international patients. This is a great program. However, management lacks diversity. Patients and stakeholders alike have noticed this. Diversity provides a new outlook, different sets of skills, and widens an organization's perspective.

8. Very happy with my new job a CTCA

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Pros

I joined CTCA recently after a decades-long career in another field of work, and I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised with how this company operates. I work in the corporate offices, and you'd expect some level of stuffiness and bureaucracy, but what I have experienced, consistently, is compassion, respect and a dedication to the patient and a positive culture of professionalism, from the CEO to the co-workers on my team. The idea is to treat all employees -- called stakeholders here -- like CTCA wants and expects every patient to be treated, and the company walks the walk. If my last employer cared this much about employee morale, and the work-life balance (a real priority here), I would never have left the job. I'm here to stay at CTCA. And I tell all my friends to send in their resumes. It's truly a wonderful place to work, and you can't beat the mission -- fighting cancer and helping cancer patients.

Cons

I haven't found any yet. Honestly.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Moving forward in changing the face of cancer care

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great leadership that focuses on the ability of each stakeholder to excel in their position

Cons

It is difficult sometimes to remove toxic employees

Advice to Management

Look at the stakeholders who are toxic and remove them from the CTCA family

Patient care that never quits even when stakeholders may not get a lunch break or end their shift on time.

Current Employee - RN, Operating Room in Zion, IL
    Current Employee - RN, Operating Room in Zion, IL

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Pros

Unique patient population who travel from all around the world in search of hope. Stakeholders treat each other like family.

Cons

Various challenges come with a place that is expanding to accommodate patients.

Advice to Management

Top leaders are great role models for lower/department managers/directors; unfortunately the Mother standard of care is not usually practiced from department leadership onto stakeholders who work for them.

11. It's a great company. My experience working for them was great, too.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Pros

Upper management really treats every level of job with the same amount of respect: lots. They consider every role to be a significant part of helping their patients and families, from housekeeping and dishwashing to surgery and chemotherapy. Great perspective.

Cons

Some jobs or shifts have catty employees. Of course. It's more uncomfortable when it's the supervisor, which happened occasionally.

Advice to Management

Emphasizing patient-centered care is awesome. But if there were a way to ADD A CONTROL to patient surveys to neutralize disease-induced "feedback," it would result in more accurate surveys and be more fair to employees and more in keeping with your stated commitments to your employees. Add this simple line to every patient survey: "What is your level of physical pain right now? What is your level of emotional concern right now? 1 - 10"

Cancer Treatment Centers of America Photos