Cancer Treatment Centers of America
www.cancercenter.com Schaumburg, IL

Cancer Treatment Centers of America Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Stephen B. Bonner

Pros:
  • "The IT organization has been very progressive during that period of time, aligned to patient care, and very stable"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Loved meeting patients and trying our best to make a difference in their lives"
    in 2 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance is an issue if you're not diligent at protecting your free time"
    in 4 reviews
  • "During my interview the new PTO program was highlighted as a benefit but they took it away because it would cost to much money"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great work environment, needs better pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat environment, growing at fast rate, patients really like it

ConsSalary for professionals on very low end..even with included bonus. Likely due to rural zion location. People that live in the Chicago or suburbs may not find the pay desirable.

Proud to work for CTCA

Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI am a long term stakeholder for CTCA in their Corporate office in Schaumburg. The culture of patient focus and commitment to growth and continuous improvement has kept me fulfilled and challenged during my tenure with CTCA. We do everything we can to assist all patients who call us and offer hope to all. Our model of care is the best that can be found.

ConsExtremely fast paced envirnoment and can be emotionallly challenging. Successful stakeholders are driven and committed to the mission, vision and values of the company, which can make work/life balance somewhat difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to value stakeholders and stay competitive with salaries to attract and retain top talent.

Truly cares about their patients, caregivers, etc.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Zion, IL

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than a year

ProsThey offer exceptionally well benefits with the company which includes $600 a year of free supplements for you and your family, discounted gym memberships in the area, and sometimes free gym memberships depending on what area you live in.

ConsThe company talks about how you can grow within the company, however, there are expectations which in most companies it tends to happen that way unfortunately. One thing that bothers me most about the company they DO NOT care whether you have a degree in a field that you are applying for, they will give the job to someone else that has no experience, While working at this company I seen it happen to fellow co-workers while working there.

They don't care if you been with the company for five years let alone one year. It gets a little discouraging when this continues you to happen within the company let alone having a degree in what you are applying for.

Supervisors can block you from getting a different position, which is unfair in my opinion. CTCA has their mother standards Mission, Vision, Values. Well in my book a lot of people meaning upper management does not follow or stand by these standards. Being a new employee coming into the company, I definitely did not see this in upper management. I saw this mostly from the people below them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalent/Human Resources think that they should start to consider people with a business/management degree not so much experience or how long you have been with the company. It would probably be less of an issue down the road.

The compensation sucks for the Patient Accounts Dept. This all goes back to whether you have an education, experience. They will give the person who has no experience a $20 hr job, over the person who has a degree and many, many, years of experience a $14 an hr job. That to me doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was great, then okay, now morale is poor.

Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe care we give is second-to-none. I would refer anyone here as a patient. We take great pride in delivering the best care. From the person who sweeps the floor, to the person who makes the food to the Nurses to the President-every one is friendly with each other and genuinely nice, caring people at heart. You can sense that the moment you walk in.

ConsThey do not value long-term employees. Easier to bring someone with less experience in and pay them less. We're always told to give more and we do in constant fear of being terminated. Our annual bonus has decreased steadily although our patient satisfaction scores have remained among the highest in the nation. We've won best places to work as voted on by employees for a few years running and turnover is low. The way Management treats us you would think we are doing poorly. They hire and promote based on the look of the person instead of the talent. They want beautiful people representing us only. If you are unattractive or overweight you do not have a future with CTCA.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your team some well-deserved credit. We work hard and are proud of what we do. Quit making us feel like we are going to be fired every day. Morale was great for years and in the past two years it has tanked. Promote people and higher people into high-level positions for what they can do, not just for how they look.

Whoever is greedy for unjust gain troubles his own household ... Proverbs 15:27

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAt the rate that employees are resigning it shouldn't be hard to get your foot in the door but don't expect much once you're in except tall tales and empty promises.

They employ some excellent executive chefs at the hospitals and have a great selection of healthy food options well above other healthcare organizations. Don't expect it if you work at corporate.

Parking is free and they offer valet service at several locations for the patients.

The hospital buildings are very lavish and I imagine or "reimagine" (which is the new company terminology for making changes) that the new corporate office in Boca will be a palace like a Ritz Carlton as well.

ConsAt the same time that the corporate office is being downsized (oops reimagined) and the PTO program that was rolled out on Jan. 1 was reimagined back to the prior benefit plan I overheard several coworkers commenting about the extravagant new yacht that the Chairman bought over the holidays. (I reimagine that his current yachts in St. Thomas needed company) Apparently he must have needed money for the boat payment and decided that taking benefits and jobs away from employees instead of digging into the expected one quarter of a billion dollars that the company is expected generate in revenue this year was a good option.

The Chairman and his family that runs the company tout themselves as Freemasons and there was even a class I had to take on principles of Freemasonry several months after I started. The kicker is that their behaviors are completely contrary to the moral code, charity and social responsibility principles that Freemasonry is supposed to stand for.

On St. Patrick's Day I saw a picture being passed around the corporate office of a leprechaun sitting on a pot of gold. Someone had pasted the Chairman's face on the leprechaun and under the pot they had put a bunch of employees being squished.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach!!

Get back to caring

Goodyear, AZ

ProsThe people ho work here (staff) are genuine and care. The building is pretty.

ConsThe people in management are very self absorbed beyond any management I have ever seen. The benefits are slowly disappearing. There is about 1 manager for every 5 people. The worst part is patient care and just plain caring about people is disappearing. 'Reimaging' is the newest flavor of the month where innovation and research has taken over patient care. Owner is a Mason, yet Masons can't even get care here unless they have the right insurance or enough money. Very benevolent Mr. Chairman.

Advice to Senior ManagementMr Stephenson ..take back your company before these social climbers destroy it.

Truly is the Best Place to Work

Goodyear, AZ

ProsWorking with a truly amazing team that make coming to work everyday a pleasure
Inspiring to read our Vision, Mission, Values, Promise, and Stakeholder Bond every day. The people here don't just talk the talk, but they also walk the walk.
Great Wellness benefits including free supplements, great inexpensive health benefits, free use of the gym, monthly free 15 minute chair massages
Generous new PTO program

ConsI had to take a pay cut when I came here and have heard most others say the same.
Bonus has gone down significantly each year and predictions aren't looking good for the upcoming bonus. Won't be surprised if they end up cutting bonuses altogether in the next year or two if things don't improve (profitability)

Advice to Senior ManagementSo many stakeholders are related to someone else at the hospital and sometimes I think the manager makes a hiring decision based on that rather than on who is genuinely the best, most qualified person for the job.

Don't Drink the Kool-aid

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for less than a year

ProsThey are great at marketing and suck in patients that only have good insurance.

ConsThis company clearly does not care about their employees.

I have worked at the Western facility for less than a year and was sold on the fact that my total pay would be at the 75% of the pay scale when you include the bonus at the end of the year which will never happen based on the fact that they just cut out the PTO program because it was too expensive.

So where is all the money going instead of supporting the hard working employees?? That would be to support things like sponsoring tennis tournaments, the Chairman's new yacht, the organic garden and hosting parties for patients called "Celebrate Life". Patients who are still alive after 5 years are invited back for a celebration. This facility has seen thousands of patients and only about 30 were still around to enjoy the party that ultimately was paid for out of their own back pocket.

People are so worried about being fired that no one is willing to speak up about all the issues here!

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit spending money on frivolous marketing ploys and wasteful greedy toys at the expense of people who are working hard to feed their families!!

It's all about the owner's family

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time

ProsThe company is recognized everywhere... People will definitely recognize the company.

ConsThe company is only and always about the owner's family. The owner has become very wealthy from the CTCA patients while 85-90% of the patients that call desperately looking for help are turned away because they don't have the right insurance. We have very few insurance contracts because the owners require unrealistic contract rates.

The company keeps paying stakeholders less and less. Stakeholders bonuses are reduced every year. I was recruited with a statement that our salaries are at the 50% point but I could expect a 15% stakeholder bonus each year. We haven't seen a 15% stakeholder bonus in years and last year the bonus was at 6%. We recently had a PTO program rolled out and removed because Talent didn't calculate the financial impact correctly. Health benefits become more costly every year.

At the same time, the owners and executives keep getting richer. Drive into the Corporate or a hospital parking lot. You will see Aston Martin's, Bentley's, Audi R8's, Mercede's, and BMW's. The extravagance at the top includes 4 or 5 large corporate jets so that the owners and Executives don't have to fly commercial like the rest of us. To house the jets, a multi-million dollar lavish hangar was built.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the Promise to Our Patients and the Stakeholder Bond. Stop flaunting your wealth.

Toxic IS Team

IS Stakeholder (Current Employee)
Goodyear, AZ

ProsHire of a new CIO from Tenet instead of promoting the Interim CIO.

ConsFlood gates continue to be open for IS. Our TSC environment is so bad that many of us new stakeholders are trying to return with previous employers.

Promises are made and broken just as quick. During my interview the new PTO program was highlighted as a benefit but they took it away because it would cost to much money. People are told that there is limited travel until you arrive and find out that travel is required. They are cutting costs all over but the VPs and executives continue to be paid unGodly salaries to buy new luxury cars and talk about the huge bonuses while us stakeholders see our bonus cut to less than 6% because of their bad decisions.

Nothing is done successfully here either. They feel its okay to lie and spin up stories later to cover their tracks including blaming us doers for their failures. My business area told me that my VP actually had the nerve to blame us for bad decisions he made. People are reprimanded by our VP when we try telling the truth to the business about project failures.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo less talking, brown nosing, reimagining and more time working.

Worked for Cancer Treatment Centers of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cancer Treatment Centers of America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cancer Treatment Centers of America CEO Stephen B. Bonner. All 52 reviews posted anonymously by Cancer Treatment Centers of America employees.