Cancer Treatment Centers of America

www.cancercenter.com

Cancer Treatment Centers of America Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Gerard van Grinsven

Pros
  • Leadership at each hospital is excellent, they really care about their stakeholders, and about great patient care(in 4 reviews)

• Fair pay, great benefits, and great wellness program(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is an issue if you're not diligent at protecting your free time(in 6 reviews)

• During my interview the new PTO program was highlighted as a benefit but they took it away because it would cost to much money(in 6 reviews)

Just started working for CTCA and I love it!

Stakeholder (Current Employee) Goodyear, AZ

ProsLove the food, the benefit rates, the free vitamin supplements, the 401K matching, the new lap top and headset enabling me to work from home, the five star office furniture environment, flexibility with work hours, the local business discounts. The salary is very generous - no complaints there.

ConsThe business is expanding quite quickly, so there are definately growing pains. If you are not afraid of change, then you should take advantage of the careers opportunities that will come.

Advice to Senior ManagementEpizeuxis: Communication, Communication, Communication!

Grateful for the experience

ProsExcellent Mission
    Outstanding Patient Care
    Striving to meet their Vision

ConsWork load
    Difficult to maintain work/life balance
    Executives can be a little too removed from reality

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your hands dirty

IS Department Still In Chaos

ProsPotential to be a great place to work where even IS employees could be passionate about their jobs and feel good to be a part of an organization that saves lives.

ConsAt this time, the senior management team has not provided clear direction or guidance for IS employees who have been in turmoil for well over a year. Numerous cover-ups and poor communication create a culture of mistrust and frustration which results in much time spent on unproductive work product. Unfortunately, a recent internal survey supports the negative comments and ratings already posted on this site, that is 45% of IS employees would not recommend CTCA to a friend seeking employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management needs to set a clear direction immediately and communicate openly and honestly with all IS employees about their future. Most current IS employees would support a senior leadership change in the Applications department, i.e. hiring a VP with healthcare experience.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The promise is more attractive than the reality.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood mission. Great salary and benefits including well care, gym reimbursement, tuition, training. Nice campus. Monthly scheduled leadership meetings with entire workforce invited.

ConsThey talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.

Poor record keeping and few historical files due to long-time turnover in my section.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally look at root of turnover issues and do something about them. A few spoil it for the many.

Complete Craziness

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsNo pros exist at CTCA.

ConsI contacted the former CIO for a letter of recommendation last week. Yesterday he informed me that he couldn't provide the letter because CTCA sent him a cease and desist letter from helping any CTCA stakeholder leave. The CEO's vendetta with the former CIO continues.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorry less about blocking stakeholders from leaving and more about addressing CTCA's problems! We won't want to leave then!

Reimagine.....The way the company was under the previous Executive Leadership

Finance Department Stakeholder (Current Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsCaring and qualified stakeholders in the hospitals, decent pay and benefits.

ConsIn the last year since the new CEO and COO have taken over, things continue to get worse. Benefits are being given and then taken away, the handling of the corporate move to Florida was a complete mess, the company is not hitting the financial plan, and many great co-workers are leaving. The culture of the organization is in turmoil and the stakeholder bond which was promoted for years is gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember how the company was built and the culture that built it. Make the changes at the top to save the company before it is too late.

Another IS Manager Resigned Today

IS Manager (Current Employee) Goodyear, AZ

ProsThe two best days at CTCA is the first and last.

ConsIS continues to shed very talented stakeholders. A template must be in use because every stakeholder leaving has "received an opportunity that they cannot refuse". We all know the truth. The stakeholder received an opportunity to work for a good leadership team.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs suggested by others, the CIO needs to clean house starting with her direct reports!

Only thing constant is going away parties!

Hope to BE A Former IS Stakeholder Soon (Current Employee) Goodyear, AZ

Pros* Expectations are currently very low to reduce IS turnover. Work life balance has improved greatly during the last year. I work 8:00 to 4:30 without expectation for more - much better than the past!

* Lots of recruiters are calling these days.

Cons* Consistent failures and coverups. Downtimes are putting our patients safety at risk but we are not allowed to tell anyone.

* There is no communication. Managers sit in their office with doors closed. IS operates in fear of telling the truth.

* Little hope of positive changes coming. We have another reorganization to look forward to. Our CIO is to share her organization chart in September. Rumor is we are moving the chairs on the Titanic instead of addressing the problems.

* Limited job options in west valley. I regret buying a house here because new jobs require a hour commute.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop reorganizing and remove bad managers!

Once upon a time it was a great place to work and you could do good for everyone who contacted CTCA.

OIS (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsThe clinical staff is outstanding, the model of care is innovative and the offerings are advanced, targeted treatments, exceptionally good treatment center for late stage patients. A place for hope.

ConsI found the biggest challenges to working at CTCA was the hospitals are so risk averse with respect to patient's insurance coverages, the verification team was poorly incentivized to do a good job, and their CFO was not open to new ideas. Additionally, OIS Leadership was so top heavy (and I understand even more so now), with their managers so sales oriented and without the ability to understand or perform the job and their only real job is to go to endless meetings and coaching Reps on how to do a job they themselves are incapable of performing. Enormous work-life-balance issues, because to be successful, you will have to work morning, noon and night and on your days off. Also, you will be chastised for taking vacation, as it would impact your performance -- reality -- it would impact OIS Leadership's paychecks.

Advice to Senior ManagementOIS needs to be completely revamped, so that people can have work-life-balance, additionally I believe CTCA should consider hiring people with degrees in Biobehavioral Health for social advocacy both in OIS and hospitals. Verification should financially reward the verification team for every insurance approval, it would encourage the verifiers to dig deep and do a complete job when on the phones with insurance companies, as well as reduce delays which cost the hospitals patients.

The hospitals should actively consider how to bring down per patient costs in order for costs to be in line with Mayo Clinic for example, as well as thinking outside of the box with respect to funding.

Rumors Appear Accurate

ProsPatients are great. My co-workers are great. Many that are friends.

ConsClinical applications is horrible. Poor management with no experience in doing our job.

People keep leaving. The rumor has been that our CMIO is leaving to work with the prior CIO. The prior CIO just fired his CMIO replacing the position with a Chief Clinical Information Officer position which doesn't require the candidate to be a MD. This allows our CMIO to apply.

The new CIO is too busy politicking and preparing to go on maternity leave to deal with issues in IS.

IS is not viewed as strategic by the new CEO and COO. We are nickle and dimed on everything. Instead of hiring the needed stakeholders, we are told to just work harder.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the poor Managers.

Worked for Cancer Treatment Centers of America? Contribute to the Community!