Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.2

Gerard van Grinsven

Pros
  • Stakeholders were focused on patient care (in 7 reviews)

• Working both in the corporate office and having the chance to work in an hospital has provided me with a great glimpse of how things are (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is an issue if you're not diligent at protecting your free time (in 7 reviews)

• Bonner is no longer the CEO, so ratings about CEO pertain to the new CEO (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

so far a great place to work

Current Employee - IS Stakeholder
    Current Employee - IS Stakeholder

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

So far, being a new stakeholder has been a great experience. Working both in the corporate office and having the chance to work in an hospital has provided me with a great glimpse of how things are. CTCA has a great mission, vision and values, and its up to the stakeholders to help uphold them. Its up to the stakeholders to help make the company an amazing one. I know that my coworkers and management have been amazing, even through our department reorganization.
    A fairly nice collection of benefits: average healthcare(medical/dental/vision), great 401k (4% fully vested match on 5% of pay contributions), life insurance, tuition programs, etc. Average number of time off

Cons

If you stick it out, the balance between work, pay and life works itself out. If you don't put in the hard work, and the time, you wouldn't get the bonuses that come.
    The benefits seem amazing and low cost, but that's until you realize how the medical plans are constructed. Co-insurance is the cheap way out, and there is no way to predict your health costs. PLEASE SWITCH TO A CO-PAY PLAN, rather than co-insurance. Even with contributions to HSA, and Healthy awards, the cost of healthcare with co-insurance is considerably more expensive.
    Communication: there seems to be a lack of communication from the top down. Changes come down over night, and middle management isn't even prepared to answer stakeholder questions on vision and plan for their departments.
    Time off shouldn't be spread into so many categories (Vacation, Holidays, sick, personal,etc), it just makes it confusing.

communicate more and with details with stakeholders. Live up to the mission, vision and values you set-forth, and balance out management bonuses with stakeholder bonuses.

Dec 20, 2014Director of Social Media

I’m happy to hear that your first year at CTCA is going well.

I understand that the reorganization from our Reimagine program has created many changes across the organization and we appreciate
    ... More

Money maker for high ranking Freemason funding the TEA Party

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time

Pros

You've heard of the Koch brothers, right? Meet Richard J Stephenson. He's not quite as rich as the Kochs, but he's made plenty of money selling the concept of "Hope" to dying patients. What is Hope? It's an intangible. There's no metric around Hope. Hope is faith that you'll get better...that CTCA Dr's will do the impossible...that you'll live. Hope is a marketing concept and CTCA is a Marketing organization. The company spends more on Marketing than they do on just about any other part of the organization.

So what is CTCA? It's a money making investment for the Stephenson family. Oh sure, it's a project born from the love between a boy and his mom. Listen to RJS make that speech enough times and in your head you'll say "And queue the throat clearing and tear down his cheek...and.....now." It's rehearsed. It's a performance.

It's a way to fund TEA party politicians and an attempt to remove regulation on businesses. He'll try to pass laws in favor of discrimination while complaining there are too many laws. He'll charge much higher prices than competitors for the exact same services, but complain that taxes are too high.

He has yachts, private jets and mansions paid for by cancer patients who want to buy that HOPE. Some live, some die, all pay. It's not cheap and he doesn't give out freebies. This is a money maker for him and he sees it as such.

There are hundreds of stories out there about how terrible of a person he is. Work for CTCA and you're now part of the problem with America. You're now working for the TEA Party.

Cons

Everything is a con, especially the company. Trust me, and MRI is an MRI but it costs more at CTCA. You can get the same chemo closer to home for a lot less. The management are a bunch of con artists.

Everyone you work with will try to stab you in the back, throw you under the bus and blame everything on you. It's not about getting the best work done, it's about making others look bad. It's a toxic, vile culture that's aggressive and vindictive. There are no perks or benefits.

You look ridiculous in those suits.

Tired of working for "lean" business.

Current Employee - Stakeholder in Goodyear, AZ
    Current Employee - Stakeholder in Goodyear, AZ

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary is good. Benefits are good. Cafeteria food is good.

Cons

You will work long hours. I know of three people who have left because they are tired of working those hours.

You guys are so decentralized that not one of you has any influence to make change happen across the organization.

Wish Zero Stars was an Option

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Pros

It started out great. I really liked all of my coworkers and believed in the company. The people who I worked with were the best part.

Cons

The work life balance is heavily skewed to work. The benefits plan is not that great for being a hospital.

Consider having more flexible time off policies.

The growth goals are out of touch with reality and make the job very stressful

Current Employee - Growth in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Growth in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Compensation is good
    In general good employees

Cons

Stressful
    Lack of work/life balance
    Too many middle managers
    Lack of career growth opportunities

Focus on the big picture for future growth and not just the short term goals. You continue to lose good employees because of the narrow focus.

Company with a heart for patients

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time

Pros

Always put patients at the heart of all decisions "treat every patient as you would want your loved one treated"

Cons

Public perception about CTCA is not true to what actually happens with the patient experience. It's an amazing place and you only have to walk in the door of one of the hospitals to experience it.

Be strong in aligning the hospitals across the country.

Dec 20, 2014Director of Social Media

I’m happy to see that you’ve witnessed first-hand our commitment to putting patients at the heart of all of our decisions and providing the Mother Standard of care. Each and every one of our centers ... More

Wish I'd never left

Former Employee - Marketing in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I left CTCA a few years ago to pursue a really good opportunity. Every day since, I've missed the people I worked with and the cancer patients and families I served. And no, I'm not a corporate HR person - this is a real review.

Cons

I understand that the culture has changed in the past couple of years. I can't speak to that, but I'd rejoin the company in a heartbeat if invited back in. The only negative comment I have to offer is that the nature of the business - cancer treatment - means that sometimes you have to deal with the sadness of losing a patient you've grown attached to.

Dec 20, 2014Director of Social Media

We appreciate your dedication to our patients for over 10 years! It sounds like you built some amazing relationships with your fellow colleagues, our patients and their families while you were ... More

Reimagine = Bigger Corporate And Retribution

Current Employee - Anonymous in Goodyear, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Goodyear, AZ

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture and leadership within WRMC is great. When items are within their control the results are great.

Cons

Reimagine is another way for Corporate to get bigger and disempower the sites. The Clinical Informatics Directors have been the bridge to clinical operations in the hospitals. As a result of reimagine the CID's have been demoted and moved to Corporate. Clearly the Executive Cabinet does not value testing, training, and clinical alignment. Individuals were targeted during the reorganization. If stakeholders voiced concerns, they have been terminated like at WRMC. Leadership keeps saying they want to hear from us but if you speak up you're considered not engaged and fired!

Don't ask for our opinion if you don't want it!

Dec 20, 2014Director of Social Media

We’re glad to hear you’re having a positive experience with the culture and leadership at WRMC (Western Regional Medical Center). We thank you for your commitment to our patients.

Reimagine is in
    ... More

Today was the final straw!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Pros

We were once a great company to work for. Stakeholders were focused on patient care. Leaders were focused on creating a best place to work in healthcare.

Cons

Today our reimagined organization chart was communicated to us in IS. The results are a huge disappointment.

* Same bad VPs and Directors remain in place.
    * More Managers and Directors added but few additional stakeholders who actually do work.
    * Multiple stakeholders terminated yesterday including a Manager who was awarded the "Coach of the Year" last year. In 37 management positions, the ISX team couldn't find an extra role for him.
    * Finally, movement of more work to International Capital Management Company in the USVI.

I thought the reimagine process would deliver some positive changes.

Just move the entire department to the USVI.

Dec 20, 2014Director of Social Media

I believe we are still a great company to work for and we are still 100% dedicated to providing exceptional patient care and creating a best place to work in healthcare. I’m sorry to read that you’re ... More

Executives only concern is how much their executive bonus will be.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

For patients who have the right insurance, the care is very good.

Cons

If you don't drink the CTCA kool-aid, you will have a very tough time surviving. There is so much back-stabbing and game playing it's difficult to get your job done if your position is in management. They tell you to think outside of the box, but that's not really what they want. Unless you are part of the "in" club at a location, forget it. Most of the executive team cares pretty much only about their executive bonus. This bonus can be, and usually is, 50-60% of their salary. The charges for medications at the hospitals is significantly higher than most other hospitals and healthcare providers. The chemo charges can be hundreds of times higher than the cost.
    Management paints a pretty picture to their Board of Directors. Reports submitted to the Boards are often incomplete and/or have inaccurate data reported,
    Human Resources at most of the locations is a joke.Of course, they call it Talent, not HR. Many of the high level HR people have absolutely no prior experience with either talent acquisition or human resources, but they are good cheerleaders.
    Anonymous concerns are completely disregarded by management, and often ridiculed.

Management does not want advice. If it's offered, they ignore it and penalize the people offering advi

Nov 9, 2014Communications Director

We are a family of Stakeholders (employees) at CTCA and don’t tolerate behavior that excludes fellow Stakeholders, and certainly not among the members of our management team. One of our values is ... More

Cancer Treatment Centers of America Photos

CTCA at the 2010 Nursing Spectrum Excellence Awards
CTCA at 2010 Nursing Spectrum Excellence Awards. Heahter Brown, Paul Gehringer and Niomi Samodai

+ Add Photo