Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
2.0

Gerard van Grinsven

Pros
  • CTCA has a great model of patient care, and also believes in nurturing its best and brightest employees (in 6 reviews)

• Fair pay, great benefits, and great wellness program (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is an issue if you're not diligent at protecting your free time (in 7 reviews)

• Bonner is no longer the CEO, so ratings about CEO pertain to the new CEO (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Greed is good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zion, IL

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is more budget available for medical equipment and staffing compared to other hospitals. Great food and easy parking (now).

Cons

We have lost our way. The Stephenson's nor management are focused on patient care anymore. The goals for the last year have been moving Corporate, popularity contests via the stakeholder loyalty survey, spinning off new companies, and making money. The concept of being "only and always about the patient" is not dying, it's dead.

The change in direction began with the new leadership. Revive the old mission and find leadership to deliver it.

IS Department Still In Chaos

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Pros

Potential to be a great place to work where even IS employees could be passionate about their jobs and feel good to be a part of an organization that saves lives.

Cons

At this time, the senior management team has not provided clear direction or guidance for IS employees who have been in turmoil for well over a year. Numerous cover-ups and poor communication create a culture of mistrust and frustration which results in much time spent on unproductive work product. Unfortunately, a recent internal survey supports the negative comments and ratings already posted on this site, that is 45% of IS employees would not recommend CTCA to a friend seeking employment.

Senior Management needs to set a clear direction immediately and communicate openly and honestly with all IS employees about their future. Most current IS employees would support a senior leadership change in the Applications department, i.e. hiring a VP with healthcare experience.

Leadership Keeps Getting Richer and Stakeholders Poorer

Current Employee - Anonymous in Zion, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Zion, IL

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, wellness program, and great mission.

Cons

We are in a state of disarray and it gets worse monthly. Leadership decided to change the culture through a program called Reimagine but the culture and company was not broken. The company has become unbearable which has caused many stakeholders to leave. Leadership is never around. They fly around the world on the private jets, get chauffeured around in limos, go to Europe for "meetings" and vacations, and drive around in cars that are as expensive as most of the stakeholders houses. They moved corporate to Boca Raton because of tax savings but we don't see any of the benefit. The stakeholders are told that money is scarce and now we're being told that the stakeholder loyalty bonus may go away. We are no longer treated like stakeholders!

If money is scarce, take benefits away from leadership. Make them fly commercial airlines in coach, take taxis, and take away the leadership bonuses before taking away the stakeholder loyalty bonus and benefits. Make them take responsibility for Reimagine and their failures.

Just started working for CTCA and I love it!

Current Employee - Stakeholder in Goodyear, AZ
    Current Employee - Stakeholder in Goodyear, AZ

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love the food, the benefit rates, the free vitamin supplements, the 401K matching, the new lap top and headset enabling me to work from home, the five star office furniture environment, flexibility with work hours, the local business discounts. The salary is very generous - no complaints there.

Cons

The business is expanding quite quickly, so there are definately growing pains. If you are not afraid of change, then you should take advantage of the careers opportunities that will come.

Epizeuxis: Communication, Communication, Communication!

Sep 16, 2014Communications Director

We are glad to hear you are happy with your employment at CTCA. CTCA invests considerable resources into the benefits and wellness offerings for Stakeholders (employees), and it sounds like you are ... More

Hands down, worst employer I've ever had the misfortune of working for

Current Employee - Oncology Sales in Newnan, GA
    Current Employee - Oncology Sales in Newnan, GA

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Absolutely zero. I would say the patient care, but that would be neglecting the fact that patients are cherry picked, and only commercially insured patients get through. Oh, and the absolute minimal amount of Medicare needed to keep that 'we're medicare licensed' line in the bag when credibility is questioned.

Cons

Too many to list. Primarily, this is a scam company. Culture is such that hard work is not rewarded. The best strategy is to do just enough to not get noticed, otherwise you'll be seen as a threat by a "manager" that has either never worked in healthcare, or that was some intern from Wabash college (owner's son went there), or is an exec's kid. Supposedly, being the spawn of some rich suit is enough to run a department and make decisions. There is no promotion opportunity. Pay is routinely 're-evaluated', and the disgust you'll leave with every day, having to answer to the people in charge is very hard to stomach. Sure, it'll sound good when you interview, but when you strip away the pretty commercials, and the 'let's defend our brand online in message boards (trust me, many of the positive reviews here are from the marketing dept), you'll be left shaking your head in utter amazement.

sell. For profit cancer care run as a country club. Sure, it's good for margins, but if you want to build a brand, you're not. Sell to HCA or some other for profit company that can blend societal good with bottom line margins.

And do you really need 4 corporate jets?

Grateful for the experience

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time

Pros

Excellent Mission
    Outstanding Patient Care
    Striving to meet their Vision

Cons

Work load
    Difficult to maintain work/life balance
    Executives can be a little too removed from reality

Get your hands dirty

Sep 16, 2014Communications Director

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re thankful you have experienced our outstanding patient care and are part of the team striving to meet our mission and vision every day. We ... More

Management keeps telling us it's "The Best Place to Work" but the employees disagree.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zion, IL

Pros

Good benefits but are slowly being phased out. Excellent for patients but not employees. Patient satisfaction scores are consistently high.

Cons

This used to be a great place to work but not any longer. Too top heavy. A lot of 6 figure salaries that merely exist and offer nothing except to ignore concerns, lie to us or disenfranchise the employees who do the actual work. Senior managers either don't know any answers or are threatened by basic questions which do not require much knowledge to answer. Our recent employee satisfaction scores are considerably lower each time without any changes implemented to improve. We are surveyed often and the same concerns are expressed. There is minimal opportunity for change. Current employees are not give any preferences to transfer departments and those positions are often given to new employees. It's not what you know but who you know. It is truly a popularity contest for the cheerleaders. The annual bonus is being phased out but our Talent department still uses this as a negotiating tool for new hires to make up for a low starting salary. PTO was implemented then quickly done away with due to a "math error".

Cut some management salaries or positions. Increase pay and keep or reestablish benefits for the employees who keep the patient satisfaction scores high. When you have unhappy employees it will eventually be visible to the patients.

A Huge disappointment.

Current Employee - IS Technology in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - IS Technology in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Benefits are comparable to industry.

Cons

Cutthroat environment leads to disengaged employees. It's not what you know, but who you know.

Once upon a time it was a great place to work and you could do good for everyone who contacted CTCA.

Former Employee - OIS in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - OIS in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The clinical staff is outstanding, the model of care is innovative and the offerings are advanced, targeted treatments, exceptionally good treatment center for late stage patients. A place for hope.

Cons

I found the biggest challenges to working at CTCA was the hospitals are so risk averse with respect to patient's insurance coverages, the verification team was poorly incentivized to do a good job, and their CFO was not open to new ideas. Additionally, OIS Leadership was so top heavy (and I understand even more so now), with their managers so sales oriented and without the ability to understand or perform the job and their only real job is to go to endless meetings and coaching Reps on how to do a job they themselves are incapable of performing. Enormous work-life-balance issues, because to be successful, you will have to work morning, noon and night and on your days off. Also, you will be chastised for taking vacation, as it would impact your performance -- reality -- it would impact OIS Leadership's paychecks.

OIS needs to be completely revamped, so that people can have work-life-balance, additionally I believe CTCA should consider hiring people with degrees in Biobehavioral Health for social advocacy both in OIS and hospitals. Verification should financially reward the verification team for every insurance approval, it would encourage the verifiers to dig deep and do a complete job when on the phones with insurance companies, as well as reduce delays which cost the hospitals patients.

The hospitals should actively consider how to bring down per patient costs in order for costs to be in line with Mayo Clinic for example, as well as thinking outside of the box with respect to funding.

Sep 16, 2014Communications Director

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as a former CTCA Stakeholder (employee). We value your opinion and would like to address the concerns you’ve expressed.

We are always
    ... More

Reimagine.....The way the company was under the previous Executive Leadership

Current Employee - Finance Department Stakeholder in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Finance Department Stakeholder in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Caring and qualified stakeholders in the hospitals, decent pay and benefits.

Cons

In the last year since the new CEO and COO have taken over, things continue to get worse. Benefits are being given and then taken away, the handling of the corporate move to Florida was a complete mess, the company is not hitting the financial plan, and many great co-workers are leaving. The culture of the organization is in turmoil and the stakeholder bond which was promoted for years is gone.

Remember how the company was built and the culture that built it. Make the changes at the top to save the company before it is too late.

Cancer Treatment Centers of America Photos

CTCA at the 2010 Nursing Spectrum Excellence Awards
CTCA at 2010 Nursing Spectrum Excellence Awards. Heahter Brown, Paul Gehringer and Niomi Samodai

+ Add Photo