Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
2.0

Gerard van Grinsven

Pros
  • Leadership at each hospital is excellent, they really care about their stakeholders, and about great patient care (in 4 reviews)

• Fair pay, great benefits, and great wellness program (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is an issue if you're not diligent at protecting your free time (in 6 reviews)

• During my interview the new PTO program was highlighted as a benefit but they took it away because it would cost to much money (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Management keeps telling us it's "The Best Place to Work" but the employees disagree.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Zion, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zion, IL

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits but are slowly being phased out. Excellent for patients but not employees. Patient satisfaction scores are consistently high.

Cons

This used to be a great place to work but not any longer. Too top heavy. A lot of 6 figure salaries that merely exist and offer nothing except to ignore concerns, lie to us or disenfranchise the employees who do the actual work. Senior managers either don't know any answers or are threatened by basic questions which do not require much knowledge to answer. Our recent employee satisfaction scores are considerably lower each time without any changes implemented to improve. We are surveyed often and the same concerns are expressed. There is minimal opportunity for change. Current employees are not give any preferences to transfer departments and those positions are often given to new employees. It's not what you know but who you know. It is truly a popularity contest for the cheerleaders. The annual bonus is being phased out but our Talent department still uses this as a negotiating tool for new hires to make up for a low starting salary. PTO was implemented then quickly done away with due to a "math error".

Cut some management salaries or positions. Increase pay and keep or reestablish benefits for the employees who keep the patient satisfaction scores high. When you have unhappy employees it will eventually be visible to the patients.

A Huge disappointment.

Current Employee - IS Technology  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - IS Technology in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are comparable to industry.

Cons

Cutthroat environment leads to disengaged employees. It's not what you know, but who you know.

Once upon a time it was a great place to work and you could do good for everyone who contacted CTCA.

Former Employee - OIS  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - OIS in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The clinical staff is outstanding, the model of care is innovative and the offerings are advanced, targeted treatments, exceptionally good treatment center for late stage patients. A place for hope.

Cons

I found the biggest challenges to working at CTCA was the hospitals are so risk averse with respect to patient's insurance coverages, the verification team was poorly incentivized to do a good job, and their CFO was not open to new ideas. Additionally, OIS Leadership was so top heavy (and I understand even more so now), with their managers so sales oriented and without the ability to understand or perform the job and their only real job is to go to endless meetings and coaching Reps on how to do a job they themselves are incapable of performing. Enormous work-life-balance issues, because to be successful, you will have to work morning, noon and night and on your days off. Also, you will be chastised for taking vacation, as it would impact your performance -- reality -- it would impact OIS Leadership's paychecks.

OIS needs to be completely revamped, so that people can have work-life-balance, additionally I believe CTCA should consider hiring people with degrees in Biobehavioral Health for social advocacy both in OIS and hospitals. Verification should financially reward the verification team for every insurance approval, it would encourage the verifiers to dig deep and do a complete job when on the phones with insurance companies, as well as reduce delays which cost the hospitals patients.

The hospitals should actively consider how to bring down per patient costs in order for costs to be in line with Mayo Clinic for example, as well as thinking outside of the box with respect to funding.

Sep 16, 2014Communications Director

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as a former CTCA Stakeholder (employee). We value your opinion and would like to address the concerns you’ve expressed.

We are always
    ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Reimagine.....The way the company was under the previous Executive Leadership

Current Employee - Finance Department Stakeholder  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Finance Department Stakeholder in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Caring and qualified stakeholders in the hospitals, decent pay and benefits.

Cons

In the last year since the new CEO and COO have taken over, things continue to get worse. Benefits are being given and then taken away, the handling of the corporate move to Florida was a complete mess, the company is not hitting the financial plan, and many great co-workers are leaving. The culture of the organization is in turmoil and the stakeholder bond which was promoted for years is gone.

Remember how the company was built and the culture that built it. Make the changes at the top to save the company before it is too late.

Complete Craziness

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Pros

No pros exist at CTCA.

Cons

I contacted the former CIO for a letter of recommendation last week. Yesterday he informed me that he couldn't provide the letter because CTCA sent him a cease and desist letter from helping any CTCA stakeholder leave. The CEO's vendetta with the former CIO continues.

Worry less about blocking stakeholders from leaving and more about addressing CTCA's problems! We won't want to leave then!

Another IS Manager Resigned Today

Current Employee - IS Manager  in  Goodyear, AZ
    Current Employee - IS Manager in Goodyear, AZ

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Pros

The two best days at CTCA is the first and last.

Cons

IS continues to shed very talented stakeholders. A template must be in use because every stakeholder leaving has "received an opportunity that they cannot refuse". We all know the truth. The stakeholder received an opportunity to work for a good leadership team.

As suggested by others, the CIO needs to clean house starting with her direct reports!

Sep 16, 2014Communications Director

It’s not a secret that this past year has been challenging for IS. That said, we are extremely excited about the new IS leadership team, and change is inevitable with a new leadership team. We are ... More

Only thing constant is going away parties!

Current Employee - Hope to BE A Former IS Stakeholder Soon  in  Goodyear, AZ
    Current Employee - Hope to BE A Former IS Stakeholder Soon in Goodyear, AZ

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time

Pros

* Expectations are currently very low to reduce IS turnover. Work life balance has improved greatly during the last year. I work 8:00 to 4:30 without expectation for more - much better than the past!

* Lots of recruiters are calling these days.

Cons

* Consistent failures and coverups. Downtimes are putting our patients safety at risk but we are not allowed to tell anyone.

* There is no communication. Managers sit in their office with doors closed. IS operates in fear of telling the truth.

* Little hope of positive changes coming. We have another reorganization to look forward to. Our CIO is to share her organization chart in September. Rumor is we are moving the chairs on the Titanic instead of addressing the problems.

* Limited job options in west valley. I regret buying a house here because new jobs require a hour commute.

Stop reorganizing and remove bad managers!

Sep 16, 2014Communications Director

We thank you for sharing your opinions and thoughts. While many of your comments are disappointing to hear, they are important and valuable for us to hear – so we thank you. We are particularly ... More

Rumors Appear Accurate

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Patients are great. My co-workers are great. Many that are friends.

Cons

Clinical applications is horrible. Poor management with no experience in doing our job.

People keep leaving. The rumor has been that our CMIO is leaving to work with the prior CIO. The prior CIO just fired his CMIO replacing the position with a Chief Clinical Information Officer position which doesn't require the candidate to be a MD. This allows our CMIO to apply.

The new CIO is too busy politicking and preparing to go on maternity leave to deal with issues in IS.

IS is not viewed as strategic by the new CEO and COO. We are nickle and dimed on everything. Instead of hiring the needed stakeholders, we are told to just work harder.

Get rid of the poor Managers.

Sep 16, 2014Communications Director

We stand behind and support the new CIO and IS leadership team. They are incredibly talented, with extensive professional experience. We are also extremely excited and supportive of our CIO taking ... More

Worst Employer Ever

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had a job. The patients were awesome and the physicians at the facility were wonderful.

Cons

There is nothing positive about CTCA except the patients. The administrative office was full of back stabbing. They were self absorbed and only cared about being promoted - they didn't care about anyone else. Worked 7:15 am to 6:30 pm without the ability to go to lunch.

Treat stakeholders with respect. Allow them to have a life outside of CTCA.

Sep 16, 2014Communications Director

Your comments are very concerning. I am sorry you felt the need to work from 7:15am to 6:30pm without a lunch break. We know many of our Stakeholders (employees) are very dedicated and have ... More

Treats patients great, but not the same for employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Goodyear, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goodyear, AZ

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Has philosophy of "it's all about the patient", and goes out of their way to make it easy for patient and caregivers.
    Great food in the Dining Room.
    Beautiful facility.

Cons

Say employees (stakeholders) are just as important as the patient, but don't show it by the way treated.
    Poor Facilities Management when it comes to space utilization.
    Hire too many family members of management stakeholders who then get preferential treatment.
    Low wages when compared to local area. Stands behind the Corporate Compensation findings which are not current and in tune with supply and demand positions.
    Poor Administrative Leadership Team. Blames poor employee satisfaction results on dept., but needs to take a look at lack of support from Admin to Dept.
    Not in tune with level of work for all areas, and therefore not staffed appropriately. However, other areas tend to be overstaffed.

Stop the preferential treatment given to certain stakeholders.
    No work-life balance if working in a department understaffed.
    Changing to PTO time positive, but retracting balances without prior notice to stakeholders was poor decision.

Sep 16, 2014Public Affairs Director

Stakeholders (employees) at CTCA are empowered to make a difference in the lives of the patients they serve; we have established numerous processes to ensure the voice of the Stakeholder rings ... More

Worked for Cancer Treatment Centers of America? Contribute to the Community!