Candlewick Press

www.candlewick.com

Candlewick Press Reviews

3.4

Karen Lotz

Good people, always busy...

I have been working at Candlewick Press full-time

Pros

If you're in a good department, the people are awesome. Some people work really hard and some people don't. You'll find a lot of people have been working at Candlewick for a very long time (over 10 yrs), so they're doing something right.

Cons

Candlewick is quite small and as people stick around in the company for a long time, there aren't many opportunities for promotion.

Great Company with Talented Staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA

I have been working at Candlewick Press

Pros

The people are amazing and everyone is very talented; the benefits are very generous; along with the success of Candlewick being known as a children's top publisher, many employees have been here for a very long time. The company is independent --100% employee owned. Everyone is passionate about creating incredibly beautiful, high quality books for children. Staff genuinely care about the company as a whole.

Cons

Being a smaller company means things can't always happen as quickly as some woule like it to but eventually the important things for our success do get done -and much more effectively and with much more thought as a result it seems.

Whenever possible, make time for individualized meetings with employees and offering regular feedback. Everyone is so focused and time flies by.

Not very good for interns

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Candlewick Press

Pros

Candlewick Press produces beautiful children's books, including literature, to very high standards. They are a beacon of light in the swirling mist of ebooks, web publishing, and ever lowering standards. Their books provide pleasure that a virtual book never could, and they go a long way to encouraging children young and old to love books. The offices are nice, and so are the people. There is a great work/life balance. Employees get a discount on Random House books as well as Candlewick titles. I was an intern so I'm not sure of the benefits. However, people seem to stay there for quite a long time so they're probably OK. From what I could tell as an intern, the politics didn't seem too bad, compared with some places.

Cons

My internship didn't teach me anything. People don't talk to you, only to give you work. But the main problem was that I didn't learn anything. I didn't do any useful work, and I volunteered to do more but it didn't help. There was no variety of tasks, always the same one or two things. And people didn't talk to you, so you couldn't really learn anything. Given that they won't even pay travel, I think an internship at Candlewick Press is kind of a bad deal. The only thing you get out of it is to put Candlewick Press on your resume. Also I would learn that some author was coming in, an award had been won, or there was a party going on in the office, but I hadn't been told about it. No one tells you anything or talks to you, never invites you to lunch and you certainly feel like a spare part. Which you are, as an intern, but given the lack of any money at all even travel, and the total lack of exposure to any publishing knowledge, they could at least have included interns in events that were going on in the office. I don't think interns are ever hired, at least I never heard of that with Candlewick Press. They also seem to have a lot of interns. I think Candlewick Press takes advantage: they have a whole bunch of interns which together must be doing a lot of work for them, and they give nothing back in return. Other publishing houses pay travel and/or lunch, take interns to see printing presses, assign them mentors, sometimes hire former interns, and more. This offsets the whole working for no pay thing, but there's nothing to offset it here.

Treat interns better. Also other children's publishers are doing lots of web-based stuff. Gotta move with the times!

Sounds better than it is

I worked at Candlewick Press

Pros

Great location, benefits, lots of talented people

Cons

The management always considers hiring from the outside to be better than the people right under their noses. For this and other reasons, there aren't a lot of growth opportunities and the top tier managers aren't interested in developing their employees because they are too busy enjoying their elevated status. And unfortunately, there are some weak links at the top. It's a demoralizing place that should lighten up and allow employees to contribute to the success of the company.

Appreciate your employees: not superficially but TRULY appreciate them, listen to them, think about their growth and show them some respect.