CannonDesign Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
CannonDesign Co-Chairman & CEO Gary R. Miller
Gary R. Miller

Pros
  • The company offers good benefits including excellent health insurance and 401K plans (in 3 reviews)

• The health insurance is pretty good (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Top heavy with missaligned goals and objectives (in 10 reviews)

• Very heavy upper management level who don't seek to hone and raise young talent (in 5 reviews)

1. Good work place !

Former Employee - Intern Architect in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern Architect in Chicago, IL

Pros

I like the working environment of Cannon! My team leader is super nice!

Cons

Sometimes you need work overtime.

2. Love my Job; Opportunities for Improvement

I have been working at CannonDesign full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Colleagues are always willing to help. Many professional development opportunities are offered including mentoring and support to get licensed.

Cons

Leadership is often out of touch with what is really happening in the offices.

Advice to Management

Listen more. Include the people you hired for their expertise to have a seat at the table when decisions are made.

3. Supportive and Collaborative

I have been working at CannonDesign full-time

Pros

I originally accepted the position at CannonDesign because I was so impressed with all the programs in place to help with personal growth and professional development. I have not been disappointed yet. CannonDesign's mentoring program is great and allows everyone to customize their mentoring experience. They also have CannonDesign academy and Lynda.com which allows employees to further their knowledge in areas that are interesting them. CannonDesign is also a extremely collaborative. Everyone is working to help each other out and that isn't just within the office but across multiple offices. CannonDesign is definitely the place for you if you are looking for support and enjoy working with others.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a challenge working with people from multiple offices in different geographical locations. For some people who don't like using technology or need everything at their fingertips this could be a con.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting your employees and fostering collaborative environments. Be transparent as much as you can and keep the lines of communication open.

5. Awesome Place to Work

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

The people. The atmosphere. The benefits. Management. Open Door Policy. Creative Synergy.

Cons

None. None. None. None. Absolutely Nothing. Loved it.

Advice to Management

I worked with some of the best Managers.

6. The people are the reason I love working at CD!

I have been working at CannonDesign full-time

Pros

Friendly, approachable colleagues who are always willing to help Professional development opportunities & significant resources provided to employees

Cons

"SFMO" is awesome, but sometimes does present a challenge for communicating with others across the firm.

Great place to grow, learn, and collaborate.

Current Employee - Architect in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Architect in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at CannonDesign full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined CannonDesign because I believed it would give me the opportunity to do great work with great people and I have been thrilled to find that to be the case. The Baltimore office is made up of a close-knit group of people who work together to create and innovate every day. This office is about teamwork and enjoying each other...a great atmosphere!! This a smaller office (25 people) that is horizontally structured giving everyone a voice and the ability to grow as they feel it will best meet their career goals. Having a small office with the resources of 1000 person firm is the best of both worlds!

Cons

Some people who are not team oriented have had trouble in this office, if you like to work alone, this won't be the place for you. Not a Con from my point of view, but think about how you like to work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the inclusive management structure. Also, maintain the high level of involvement by all levels of staff in the interviewing/hiring processes as the office continues to grow. This has led to some really great new hires.

8. Enjoy Working at CannonDesign

I have been working at CannonDesign full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great talented, fun team to work with. Interesting clients looking innovative solutions. Great learning experiences for all team members who want them. I very much enjoy working at CD.

Cons

Very passionate team can sometimes lead to miscommunication but that can be quickly resolved.

Advice to Management

Keep getting input from your employees, listen more and take action

9. Positives but room for growth

I have been working at CannonDesign full-time

Pros

Great people who want to do excellent work. They really support professional development. You get the chance to work on a big variety of projects across the firm.

Cons

Leadership is out of touch with people, and how projects get done. Need more valuing of technical talent and leadership. Work life balance can be a issue.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to people, not just numbers. They talk about the vision a lot but it can't be just talk.

10. honest review, not fabricated

Former Employee - Architect in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Architect in Chicago, IL

I worked at CannonDesign full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few high profile projects

Cons

Heavily siloed. No ability to move from one market to another when work is slow. I started at CD when there was urgent need, and I initially found it to be challenging and fun. Slowly though, some really ugly politics began to surface and became steadily nastier as the years went by. I didn't want to believe that promotion and compensation were based solely on alliances with the right people, and I clung to the hope that tireless work, innovation and great relations with clients would ultimately advance my career. I was wrong. Time and time again I watched as great people were passed up while bullies and egomaniacs were promoted and applauded. One by one, all of the people that I respected and admired began to leave once the economy started to heat up again. Finally I left as well. There seem to be a number of very positive recent reviews on this site, and I sincerely hope that things have changed. I would hate to discover that they were all the result of coercion.

Advice to Management

People are your capital. Really great designers are a quirky bunch that need room to explore and be themselves. Don't suffer bullies gladly.

11. Good experience overall

Pros

Great people, fantastic work. Professional development was encouraged.

Cons

No room for upward mobility within. Pay was not consistent with the market.

RSS Feed </> Embed