Canon Business Process Services

Joseph R. Marciano

1. Site Manager

Current Employee - Site Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Site Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Canon Business Process Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I work with a great management team.

Cons

Going on different assignments at different account and don't know when an assignment will finish.

Advice to Management

Pay employees better.

2. Good opportunity for Consultants

I worked at Canon Business Process Services

Pros

Teamwork, on line training, sustainability

Cons

Limited growth potential at client sites

3. Main focus is servicing the client and providing excellent administrative support.

Current Employee - Business Services Associate
    Current Employee - Business Services Associate

I have been working at Canon Business Process Services

Pros

The client are great to work for. Flexible work arrangements available.

Cons

Poor employee benefits and low regard for employee needs. Less micro management at work sites would be more efficient. Leadership lacks integrity.

5. good work/life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Canon Business Process Services full-time

Pros

good people, good hours, & benefits

Cons

low compensation & out-dated software

6. Poor Company Leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Canon Business Process Services

Pros

The company wins contracts with larger more prominent corporations which means there is always new employment opportunities.

Cons

Each contract is run by a General Manager and a management team. This means that if you work on a particular contract you could be blessed with a great management team or a very poor management team that is more focused on making bonuses than the employees. The management team I worked for did not give the employees a raise for 3 years straight.

Advice to Management

Give fair pay and fair performance evaluations. Also, employees that work hard deserve a raise.

It is a job, not a career.

Current Employee - Onsite AV Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Onsite AV Coordinator in Houston, TX

Pros

It is consistent work if that is what you are looking for. There is also a nice work-life balance, there are not random calls for overtime or work on nights and weekends so you have consistent time with family and friends. There are a few good leaders within the company. From all the written material, the company seems to have good core values.

Cons

CBPS lacks some of the amenities that other AV companies provide such as touch screen programmers, projector repair technicians, and install technicians. As an AV tech working for CBPS, you are dropped into a site without an inventory nor the ability to make major repairs to the system should it fail. You are also by yourself as a tech, your immediate supervisor most likely runs the mail room or records department. This means you must contact another vendor for repair and it gets awkward because the clients will question using 2 AV companies to support a single site. CBPS also does not sell AV equipment so the employees are not able to get any training from manufacturers through the company (e.g. Extron, AMX, Crestron etc). Sites are short staffed so there are problems with taking the PTO provided and the PTO does not roll over year to year. The health insurance is very expensive and still requires high out of pocket costs. Some managers also openly admit to client site management that they are scared of losing contracts so they end up promising more than the contract allows for, and more than they can actually deliver. CBPS gets it contracts by promising the world to the client for pennies on the dollar compared to the other companies, and then hopes that the current people working the site will want to stay on and do the same job for less. They rarely have a plan for when the current employees decide to leave even though turnover is extremely high.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to figure out a way to leverage Canon U.S.A. the parent company into the business services company. Provide some sort of synergy between the AV business services and the professional imaging products department in order to increase projector sales and maybe train the Onsite AV Coordinators in projector repair. Right now, the skill set of the average tech is the ability to clean filters, change projector lamps, and press Function+F8 on a laptop. Also there are plenty of WebEx trainings but none of the trainings are useful for an AV technician, the turnover is so high because other AV companies pay better and/or pay for continual training of the techs. Work to improve the infrastructure of the company, there is an over-emphasis on customer service, customer service is important, but lack of infrastructure means we have to tell the customer that we cannot give them what they asked for with a smile on our face.

8. General Review

Current Employee - Enjoyable
    Current Employee - Enjoyable

I have been working at Canon Business Process Services

Pros

Pros of working for CBPS is the client relationships

Cons

No room for administrative advancement

Advice to Management

None

9. Regional Manager The Only Saving Grace

I worked at Canon Business Process Services

Pros

It's a paying job and if you sign your mind and off-hours over to the corporate group-think you can rise up in the field and in corporate management.

My regional manager acted as a buffer between the main office and the site, which was very nice.

Cons

The company never did anything that made the job easier, better, or more efficient. They spent all their time beating site people into a kind of conformity with remedial classes and new-age business practices with little or no application to the daily tasks at hand. The random, meaningless projects were a waste of time and accomplished nothing.

Advice to Management

Instead of imposing random activities from the top down, the top having no idea what goes on at the bottom, look at what goes on at the sites and build your business practices on a foundation of knowing what goes on in the trenches and making those tasks better and easier on a practical level. Don't let individual executives impose senseless projects on the sites just so they can say they did something proactive at their next executive meeting. Don't assume people's off-hours are all yours and don't expect people who work hard all day to also do hours of busy-learning at the same time.

Felt they were disinterested

Current Employee - Assistant Site Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Site Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Canon Business Process Services

Pros

Actually got the interview. Felt my skill set was a match

Cons

Never was contacted by HR. Interviewed for position to lead service team on client's site. E-mail I received was from the Canon manager but came with the site companies e-mail tag. Didn't even know until some research what company I was contacted by. HR passed it along to site managers who were not trained in interview skills. I have been on both sides of the interview desk and their lack of interest and training showed. They spent most of the time talking about the role and did not really do anything to determine how my skill set matched. On the plus side it gave me the opportunity to tell them only what I wanted them to know.

Advice to Management

If you are going to make a commitment to getting qualified talent to join your team, you need to engage both HR and the site managers to be able to seek out that talent

Horrible!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Canon Business Process Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

None! The company does not offer anything to its employees. They are sexist and do not want to see you succeed.

Cons

They do not care about the employees, you are just a number and will always go with the clients even when they are wrong. They brag about being a "billion" dollar corp and do not even pay well. Plus the do not have any sick days and be ready to give your PTO a year in advance. How will you ever know when you might be sick?

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees.-recognize their hard work and offer growth opportunities.