Canon Business Solutions

Canon Business Solutions Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Canon Business Solutions CEO Yoroku Adachi

Yoroku Adachi

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, no overtime, lunchroom"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Canon is a good product, but if marketed by the wrong people impossible to sell"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Every time we questioned our jobs, upper management would tell us everything was part of the contract"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Lack of communication between department heads"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Entry Level Position

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThis is a good position as a first job after graduation for someone looking to get into sales. They provide 4 weeks of training off-site,(in LA, Chicago, Dallas, or New Jersey, luck of the draw where you go) in two week blocks to new employees. Which goes over basic sales strategies and product overviews.
    If you are lucky enough to be given a territory with a good install base hitting quota will not be a problem and you will make decent money in year 1.
    Generally employ nice people. I did not have an issue with any one in my office, it was a pleasant work environment.
    Provided benefits that you would expect from a Fortune 500 company.
    Large company with opportunity to relocate or change departments.

ConsBase salary is not great and does not increase with promotions.
    Rigid hours for a sales job (must be in the office at 8:30am even though no one is doing any work)
    Office equipment is not the most glamorous thing to sell.
    High turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher base salaries to employees and retention rate would be better.
    Be more flexible with employees arriving and leaving work. If I am hitting my numbers I should be able to leave before 5pm without question. It's not like we're required to punch in/out at the beginning/end of the day.
    Quotas should have some reflection on install base.

Nerve Racking, Broken Promises, Undermining Management, Low Salaries

Senior Digital Service Specialist (Former Employee)
    Downers Grove, IL

ProsGood Benefit Package, Good Quantity of holidays, Little else

ConsCut Throat Employer, Purposely Cheats Employee of Due Salary, Management Says One Thing & Does Another. The Best Work Day I Had Was My Last Day Employed There. The Day I Walked Away From Canon Business Solutions I Felt The World Came Off My Shoulders.
    I Would Rather Be Unemployed Than Be Employed Again At Canon Business Solutions

Advice to Senior ManagementI Have No Advice To Any Level Of Management At Canon Business Solutions, They Wouldn't And Do Not Listen, You Might As Well Spit Into The Wind.

I wouldn't wish this job on my worst enemy.

Inside Sales (Former Employee)

ProsMost of the people were very nice in the department- can be cliquey though.
    Nice facility to work in.

ConsIf the territory that you inherit is in trouble for sales and/or profit, it is incredibly challenging to build the territory to a commissionable level.
    Base salary (Inside Sales- $28K).
    No ramp up period (despite the state of your territory).
    Lack of leadership from management or HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is my understanding that the territories will be reestablished in 2014, this is the only way you will fix the turnover in the two territories that specifically struggle. When hiring, do not promise the moon. A realistic job preview and realistic first year earnings would eliminate unnecessary turnover, I took a major pay cut but I increased my base salary by $28K. You knew what annual salary I was pulling in- that was wrong.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They were a bunch of liars and ignorant people..

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsCanon is a good product, but if marketed by the wrong people impossible to sell

ConsTerrible people, disgusting....will cheat you every step of the way. Uneducated people..

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over

Tremendous growth and much experience

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsFlexible, recognize talent over seniority.

ConsRecent administration has slowed decisionmaking

Advice to Senior ManagementHire good people, give them the ability and criteria to make decisions, then let them do so.

Canon-something to get shot out of

Field Service Technician (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGrowing and modernizing methods of information management.

ConsLack of leadership and employee representation

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of your employees as clients.

Great Brand - Terrible Employer!

Operations Analyst (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat co-workers. The benefits are okay, but nothing special. If you are willing to suck up to the boss, then you could go far.

ConsCompany tries to stand on brand alone while the equipment and services are on a downhill slide. Overtime is unheard of, and even if you put in extra hours, do not expect to be paid for it. There is no clear definition of job responsibilities or career path. Canon gives you 7 sick days but if you use more than 2 you will get a verbal warning and more than 3 will get a written warning. Unused sick, personal and vacation days can not be accrued, rolled over or paid out at the end of the year. Upper management has an attitude of 'do as I say or else'. I observed management come and go as they please, sometimes not showing up for work until two in the afternoon...there is definitely a sense of entitlement among managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to what your managers are doing. Trust, but always verify, that what you are being told is fact. Allow for employees to be creative in their thinking instead of trying to fit them into a one size fits all mold.

bureaucratic inept management

Admin (Former Employee)
    Lakeville, NY

ProsGood benefits, no overtime, lunchroom

ConsEmployees kowtow and tippy toe around Japanese mgt. Insecure workers who backstab and play political games. Proprietary software decades old, inefficient, user unfriendly. Lousy discounts on cameras only offered once or twice a year. Management cancelled incentive plans after awarding them.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to middle management who keep line and file down because of their insecurities. My supervisor discouraged me from contacting Japanese counterparts who all sat in different part of office,even though it was work related. He wanted everything to funnel through him. Make your management take English classes and integrate staff.

Great training ground for newbies. Good benefits. Highly structured.

Major Account Executive (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThe benefits were good and I can see this company being a great first job from college for some basic B2B sales training.

ConsInflexible toward the customers. Seeking even small customer accomodations is politically frowned upon. Lots of paperwork & office time.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up a to little risk to give customer accomodations -- make it easier to do business with the company. Create VP positions at the region level that have full P&L control over sales, service & logistics. Get rid of Lotus Notes!

This place sucks- do not interview for this company

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee)
    Schaumburg, IL

ProsIt was a paycheck and a job. And a learning experience on what to look out for before taking a new position.

ConsEverything else about it was a con from the management to the lack of care for employees. The company is loaded with cocky used car salesmen. Management is careless about its employees. Most are hard to deal with.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees should be treated as individuals. Management should also be monitored closely. Work/ life balance isn't a priority and neither is education.

Worked for Canon Business Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Canon Business Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Canon Business Solutions CEO Yoroku Adachi. All 141 reviews posted anonymously by Canon Business Solutions employees.