Canon Business Solutions

Updated September 14, 2014
2.6

Canon Business Solutions CEO Yoroku Adachi
Yoroku Adachi

Pros
  • Good benefits, employee centric management (in 14 reviews)

• Canon has an amazing benefits package, starting with 14 vacation days in year one (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Every time we questioned our jobs, upper management would tell us everything was part of the contract (in 8 reviews)

• Lack of communication between department heads (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

This company is a complete disorganized mess with non existent management, and jokes for incentives to the reps.

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Canon Business Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great experience for resumes with cold calling and telemarketing.
    -great Dallas Market with lots of opportunity
    -wonderful product
    -great customer relationships as long as everything goes smoothly
    -order management in IL was great

-Love sales and everything about what I did.. terrible company (some of the problems were just the local Dallas office... other problems were company wide)

Cons

-no consistent management (I was there for 2 years and had 2 directors and 3 direct manager changes)
    -no incentives to reps besides a presidents club
    -Very little help or direction from direct management (7 week training is a joke and a waste of time)
    -disorganized with service department and internal processes.
    -push to sell document management software along with equipment but internally don't practice what they preach
    -very little pay. The compensation plan is created to keep sales representatives from making money
    -a lot of favoritism when deciding territories which causes problems and hurts individuals compensation.
    -Overall a very cheap company that pays no attention

Get it together!

Decent

Current Employee - Mail Clerk  in  Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Mail Clerk in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Canon Business Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Light work, reasonable expectations, paid holidays off

Cons

Not much room for advancement, no raise the first year employeed, unorganized.

Show you care about your employees. Don't complain about your workloads and when help is given without asking, don't take offense to it. Thank them for going above and beyond to help make YOUR job easier.

Good Entry Level Position

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Canon Business Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a good position as a first job after graduation for someone looking to get into sales. They provide 4 weeks of training off-site,(in LA, Chicago, Dallas, or New Jersey, luck of the draw where you go) in two week blocks to new employees. Which goes over basic sales strategies and product overviews.
    If you are lucky enough to be given a territory with a good install base hitting quota will not be a problem and you will make decent money in year 1.
    Generally employ nice people. I did not have an issue with any one in my office, it was a pleasant work environment.
    Provided benefits that you would expect from a Fortune 500 company.
    Large company with opportunity to relocate or change departments.

Cons

Base salary is not great and does not increase with promotions.
    Rigid hours for a sales job (must be in the office at 8:30am even though no one is doing any work)
    Office equipment is not the most glamorous thing to sell.
    High turnover rate.

Higher base salaries to employees and retention rate would be better.
    Be more flexible with employees arriving and leaving work. If I am hitting my numbers I should be able to leave before 5pm without question. It's not like we're required to punch in/out at the beginning/end of the day.
    Quotas should have some reflection on install base.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was OK....commission structure was messed up

I worked at Canon Business Solutions full-time

Pros

Training....good product....local management was good.

Cons

Commission structure...competition of dealers in market....pricing of CBS equipment was more than local Canon dealers

Site Representative

Current Employee - Site Representative  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Site Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Canon Business Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Pay and benefits
    Flexible schedule if you go to school

Cons

Lack of communication between management causes confusion with employees

Nerve Racking, Broken Promises, Undermining Management, Low Salaries

Former Employee - Senior Digital Service Specialist  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Digital Service Specialist in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Canon Business Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Benefit Package, Good Quantity of holidays, Little else

Cons

Cut Throat Employer, Purposely Cheats Employee of Due Salary, Management Says One Thing & Does Another. The Best Work Day I Had Was My Last Day Employed There. The Day I Walked Away From Canon Business Solutions I Felt The World Came Off My Shoulders.
    I Would Rather Be Unemployed Than Be Employed Again At Canon Business Solutions

I Have No Advice To Any Level Of Management At Canon Business Solutions, They Wouldn't And Do Not Listen, You Might As Well Spit Into The Wind.

I wouldn't wish this job on my worst enemy.

Former Employee - Inside Sales
    Former Employee - Inside Sales

I worked at Canon Business Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most of the people were very nice in the department- can be cliquey though.
    Nice facility to work in.

Cons

If the territory that you inherit is in trouble for sales and/or profit, it is incredibly challenging to build the territory to a commissionable level.
    Base salary (Inside Sales- $28K).
    No ramp up period (despite the state of your territory).
    Lack of leadership from management or HR.

It is my understanding that the territories will be reestablished in 2014, this is the only way you will fix the turnover in the two territories that specifically struggle. When hiring, do not promise the moon. A realistic job preview and realistic first year earnings would eliminate unnecessary turnover, I took a major pay cut but I increased my base salary by $28K. You knew what annual salary I was pulling in- that was wrong.

They were a bunch of liars and ignorant people..

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Canon Business Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Canon is a good product, but if marketed by the wrong people impossible to sell

Cons

Terrible people, disgusting....will cheat you every step of the way. Uneducated people..

Start over

Great Brand - Terrible Employer!

Former Employee - Operations Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Canon Business Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great co-workers. The benefits are okay, but nothing special. If you are willing to suck up to the boss, then you could go far.

Cons

Company tries to stand on brand alone while the equipment and services are on a downhill slide. Overtime is unheard of, and even if you put in extra hours, do not expect to be paid for it. There is no clear definition of job responsibilities or career path. Canon gives you 7 sick days but if you use more than 2 you will get a verbal warning and more than 3 will get a written warning. Unused sick, personal and vacation days can not be accrued, rolled over or paid out at the end of the year. Upper management has an attitude of 'do as I say or else'. I observed management come and go as they please, sometimes not showing up for work until two in the afternoon...there is definitely a sense of entitlement among managers.

Pay more attention to what your managers are doing. Trust, but always verify, that what you are being told is fact. Allow for employees to be creative in their thinking instead of trying to fit them into a one size fits all mold.

bureaucratic inept management

Former Employee - Admin  in  Lakeville, NY
    Former Employee - Admin in Lakeville, NY

I worked at Canon Business Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, no overtime, lunchroom

Cons

Employees kowtow and tippy toe around Japanese mgt. Insecure workers who backstab and play political games. Proprietary software decades old, inefficient, user unfriendly. Lousy discounts on cameras only offered once or twice a year. Management cancelled incentive plans after awarding them.

Pay attention to middle management who keep line and file down because of their insecurities. My supervisor discouraged me from contacting Japanese counterparts who all sat in different part of office,even though it was work related. He wanted everything to funnel through him. Make your management take English classes and integrate staff.

Worked for Canon Business Solutions? Contribute to the Community!