Canon Business Solutions

Canon Business Solutions Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Canon Business Solutions CEO Yoroku Adachi

Yoroku Adachi

Pros
  • Good benefits, employee centric management (in 14 reviews)

• Canon has an amazing benefits package, starting with 14 vacation days in year one (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Every time we questioned our jobs, upper management would tell us everything was part of the contract (in 8 reviews)

• Lack of communication between department heads (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Major Account Executive

Major Account Executive (Former Employee) Gardena, CA

ProsGreat Title at a well respected company.

ConsExtremely convaluted workflow for processing orders. Very low base pay. Many hidden charge back mechanisms that reduce expected commissions. Highest priced equipment in the industry makes it difficult to win competitive bids.

Worked for Canon

Contract Administrator (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat Company to work for

Consin experienced personnel in management

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to employees and take surveys from employees about management

Has it's ups and downs

Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCompany has a very strong product base which allows their employee to be very confident selling as number 1 in the industry. The benefits are great, lots of room to grow with in the organization. Co workers are very helpful and support, along with fun.

ConsMany layers within the organizations which makes it hard to complete internal company processes in a timely manner. Along with these layers it can make it hard to be confident in the information your providing your customer and management typically doesn't know the answer either. These issues slow down the sales cycle.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the bigger picture. Knowing all the process within in a large organization will help guide your employees in the right direction the first time around.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for getting sales experience, fun office environment, capped opportunity for career advancement

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI learned how to sell. Have complete control over my sales cycle start to finish. I enjoy my co-workers. I have some flexibility to take care of family and personal things during the work day, it's 9 to 5 but can be pretty flexible after a few years of success.

ConsHard to over-come the copier sales person image when trying to leave the industry. Base pay is so low that it is hard to get a fair salary in your next industry. There is a limited number of opportunities to advance inside the company. People in this industry never leave the industry, they just move around from company to company. Upper management is stale and irrelevant.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to sell software and IT services, you have to have give employees the same pay and treatment that they would get from software and IT services companies. You will never keep reps who are good at selling software if you treat them like copier reps.

very team oriented

Proswork life balance is great

ConsNone at this point everything is good

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing!!

The Favoritism at the local branch is unbelievable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe make good Business Copiers

ConsThe Favoritism at the local branch is unbelievable. One Director has his two favorite Sales Representatives report directly to him not to the Regional Manager. That all other Sales Reps Report to. These 2 Sales Representatives have the best territories and the largest established accounts. I know life not fair but this is so blatant.
    I will say that the one Regional Manager is fantastic. He unfortunately reports to this Director who is certifiable and can do nothing about the favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease use the data you have on Sales Territories to help guide local management in setting up balanced sales territories. If Sales can not succeed you will not succeed.

Always one mistake away from losing you job

Digital Technician I (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsNice place to get your training, experience, internationally known company.

ConsVery impersonal at the senior management level, you make a mistake in your personal life they fire you. Their corporate philosophy is:

"Our dedication to Kyosei guides our tradition of commitment to protect and preserve our most precious of resources - the world we share, the communities we serve, and the lives we touch. We do this through environmental, conservation, recycling and sustainability initiatives. We also practice Kyosei through social and educational programs on behalf of young people and those in need."

Nice slogan, and looks good on paper, but corporate is like every other corporation out there, what can you do for me now, not looking at your future with the company, and not how hard, dedicated person you are, nahhhh just a number...... he made a mistake, terminate him, your benefits are cut as of midnight. SHEEP

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit being by the book corporate goons, you will make better profits.

I would never recommend working here to someone I liked. The company name is now "Canon Solutions America."

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsBig company with expected big company benefits. Canon has great name recognition. Some areas pay well. Other divisions you can move to.

ConsMerger with Oce has taken three years and the kinks are STILL not worked out.
    People who have worked for big companies of this size/strength before will be disappointed by the benefits.
    Too much bureaucracy to do your job. Too much "busy work." Confusing rules and objectives; company can't get out of its own way.
    Japanese managers very secretive; creates a level of mistrust. Some are just plain arrogant. However, American managers are even worse.
    Continuing "surprise" layoffs. Expect an exodus of qualified employees fed up with copier market as economy improves.
    Glass ceiling for Americans.
    Maybe it is better in other branches of Canon, but this division has always had a spotty reputation among customers.
    Service department fumbling can easily turn your best customers into ex-customers.

Of course, there are the usual problems associated with the copier/printing industry: high employee turnover, decline in print volumes from technology, poorly trained managers that should be selling used cars, unreachable monthly quota system, favoritism, bad service. Copiers are a commodity and Canon's are the most expensive. Competition for cheaper alternatives is unrelenting.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have heard of "lead, follow, or get out of the way?" Well, your products are priced too high in the marketplace to expect to compete with the low end "burn-and-churn" competition. You keep saying Canon is now a focused solution provider, yet continue to act with the same generic "box-mover" mentality. MAKE UP YOUR MIND, one way or the other, and STICK WITH IT.

Low Pay, Low Moral, don't work here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting people, decent vacation time.

ConsLow wages, low moral, short lunch, always being watched on the clock.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not work until you die.

If you are good, you can shine. If you are not, you will complain.

ProsCompany is growing. Room for growth. Very stable. Company wants to grow AND be profitable.

ConsSome "Managers" are allowed to be confrontational and downright rude to other employees and managers preveneting the free exchange of ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo reviews or surveys on how your employees feel about management and their abiity to have a free exchange of ideas. Hold training for supervisors and managers so that they become more tolerant and work better with others.

Worked for Canon Business Solutions? Contribute to the Community!