Canon Canada Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
Taizaburo “Ted” Egawa

Pros
  • Good Products (Copiers, Printers etc (in 4 reviews)

• Brand name, large corporation, Good insights on how a poorly run division actually functions (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Tons of internal issues with paperwork (in 4 reviews)

• Canon does have a good product, but they ARE more expensive then their competitors (in 3 reviews)

1. Canon is what you make it

I have been working at Canon Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a good work experience at Canon Canada in the marketing department. I really loved the people and my job was good. I had a lot of freedom to build out my role and generally had good support from my director supervisor and the VP of my department.
    I had a good salary and nice benefits. I did not see a direct career path for me which is one of the reasons I left the company.
    The company is asset rich which made it a nice place to work.

Cons

Canon is not the best at on boarding thief staff. It took me three months to get a handle on my role. They try to train but everyone is extremely busy, overworking and managing way too many tasks.

The Canon culture is out-dated and does not know how to change with the times.
    If you are looking for a fun place to work, this is not it.
    Canon is trying to move the needle on this however there are a lot of negative people that work there that are holding onto old feelings and experiences that made it a very tough place to work.

They are very old school and traditional. Fairness triumphs rational. If you are an office administrator, you essentially hate your life. It's a lot of excel sheets and number plugging.

If you are not at your desk ready to work by 8;55 am, you are considered late.

The office location is far for someone living downtown and the office is moving to Brampton with will make the commute longer.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work at trying to make it a better place to work.

Try loosening up the strict old school culture. Perhaps good employees will stay longer and will have less turn over.

A balanced view....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canon Canada full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having worked in sales for the better part of a decade, my experience at Canon has been positive to say the least. Time and again I have been rewarded for my successes and have been given opportunities to grow and develop under an intelligent and strategic leader. I've never felt like just a number and my effort and determination are regarded as assets not expectations. That doesn't mean the job is easy, in fact its not easy at all but it is a job that will challenge you to be a better, more disciplined version of you. A you, that is capable of making things happen while wearing many hats and juggling many emotions. You are never on your own and there is always a resource to call upon. Looking ahead, the company is very motivated to retain its market leadership and continues to evaluate change where change is required. Investments are being made in all areas of the business including the people and driving a better customer experience for both staff and customers is why the company exists.

Cons

Not all groups are market sensitive and there is a process for everything. The sales role is a big role and as a member of the sales group you are working with many other groups which can take some patience and finessing.

Advice to Management

Base retention is just as important as new business if not more and let's be innovative in the way we leverage those relationships and show appreciation. A customer is not a customer until they buy a second time.

3. Dispatcher

I worked at Canon Canada

Pros

Great teamwork with employees

Cons

Outsourcing calls to call centre in montreal

5. National Sales Manager

Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canon Canada full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been fortunate in my career at Canon. I have had many opportunities to move within the organization and follow a diverse career path with multiple opportunities to learn.

Cons

It takes a long time to change the corporate culture.

6. OK

I worked at Canon Canada

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Easy targets to hit

Cons

Unambitious and Bureaucratic environment
    Low pay compared to industry

Advice to Management

Cut the red tape

7. Inherently Dysfunctional

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canon Canada full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Still trying to think of one....

Cons

Some employees have very laid back days, can often be found on Facebook or in the cafeteria. If you are in the union, expect not to have to work very hard or be particularly good at what you do. You could very well be home by 4pm on many days, but paid your full salary & benefits (no questions asked). For the rest - especially those that management are not particularly fond of - you will be watched - washroom breaks might even be timed. Instead of a "hello" in the washroom, you are more likely to receive a critique of your new shoes or the fact that you neglected to wear a belt with your dress slacks. Whatever you do , don't finish your day one second too early - even if you've worked hours of unpaid overtime every day for the past 2 or 3 years without so much as a 'thank you'. You will be reprimanded. The word "tyrannical" comes to mind. The culture cannot change as long as people are viewed as a number and a means of generating profit. Employees are people - Canon is already a multi-billion dollar corporation. How much is enough?

Advice to Management

Changing the culture means more than just having group outings & being nice to those that have the highest sales. Every employee matters, even the ones you don't like - or who sometimes question things & don't simply follow orders like a robot. Canon has a long, long way to go - it's not all about money. It's also about people.

8. Canada's Worst Employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canon Canada full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I haven't found one yet

Cons

Canada's Worst Employer. Promote employees who haven't got the knowledge or skills. Management often referred to as Dictators, over lords, etc. They will tell you they are changing culture - lies.

Advice to Management

You need to fire most of your top managers if you wish to change. Otherwise, you will spend another 30 years in a backwards culture.

9. Great place to work

I worked at Canon Canada

Pros

Good people who know their business . But be prepared to work hard and deliver numbers. you will learn allot , its fast paced , but need to be on your game and thinking at all times.

Cons

You will be very busy

10. Of mixed mind.

I worked at Canon Canada full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was employed from 1991 to 2005. Hired out of College, and was trained. Benefits were great in 1991, many things back then were 90- 100% covered with no deductible.
    Was able to borrow cameras and camcorders , was able to borrow the company van.
    Used to have birthday lunches in which you could talk to senior management, including the President in an informal setting.

Cons

Starting Wage according to an OACETT survey placed me below average for my job title.
    I was pigeon holed for approximately 9 years in the same job.
    I had to transfer to another city to keep working for the company.
    Lost job like so many others in 2005 when were restructured out of the company.
    The office was relocated years later aft Canon spent a lot of money to make the old one pretty, to a new building after axing 100's of people.

Advice to Management

Do not let good people go that are willing to evolve to stay with a company that they are proud to say they work for.
    Do not tell these people that they cannot be reimbursed for training they pay out of pocket to improve them selves to move laterally in the company when their own department with not let them move up in it.

11. Good entry level sales position

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at Canon Canada

Pros

Great benefits and vacation time of 3 weeks to start. They have a cafeteria on premises if you work in the office.

Cons

Micro management to the fullest. They are more concerned about your activity rather then your sales. Management does not help you win deals. They leave to much on the table

Advice to Management

Need to give more support to your employees and help them become better sales people. Focus less on the negative aspects and actually work

RSS Feed </> Embed