Canon Canada Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Taizaburo “Ted” Egawa

Pros
  • Good Products (Copiers, Printers etc (in 4 reviews)

• Brand name, large corporation, Good insights on how a poorly run division actually functions (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Tons of internal issues with paperwork (in 4 reviews)

• Canon does have a good product, but they ARE more expensive then their competitors (in 3 reviews)

1. Commercial Sales Representative

Current Employee - Commercial Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Commercial Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canon Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning environment, opportunities to grow with the company, quality coaching from a great leadership team. There are great experts (software experts, production equipment experts etc.) in place that are available for sales call and support who you can learn a lot from. This also opens the door to many other opportunities as many other companies looking for sales people respect the experience and training gained while working with Canon.

Cons

Hard work, to excel it requires putting in the time. Not an easy job, but a great challenge

Advice to Management

Great place to work, great coaching from all of the leadership team.

2. Great place to grow your career

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canon Canada full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Canon lets you "choose your own adventure". The opportunities to build your career are endless. They invest in their people. This allows you to expand your knowledge and skills.

Cons

The expectation from the company is that you deliver sales results before you're considered for advancement. The company wants winners and dislikes mediocrity.

Advice to Management

Embrace change and adjust to the new realities of the competitive marketplace.

3. Customer service rep

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Canon Canada (More than a year)

Pros

Canon is a good company with good benefits. Lots of long time employees

Cons

It was dumb of them to close the Calgary branch - LOTS of people were MAD!

Advice to Management

Think of your customers, not just money!

5. Corporate Account Executive

Former Employee - GANESAN ARUNASALAM in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - GANESAN ARUNASALAM in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canon Canada (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best Products, GTM model is good, Service backup is awesome

Cons

Pricy -expensive solutions, Improper middle management, Only transaction focused sales managers and not solution Document industry experts

Canon is what you make it

I have been working at Canon Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a good work experience at Canon Canada in the marketing department. I really loved the people and my job was good. I had a lot of freedom to build out my role and generally had good support from my director supervisor and the VP of my department. I had a good salary and nice benefits. I did not see a direct career path for me which is one of the reasons I left the company. The company is asset rich which made it a nice place to work.

Cons

Canon is not the best at on boarding thief staff. It took me three months to get a handle on my role. They try to train but everyone is extremely busy, overworking and managing way too many tasks. The Canon culture is out-dated and does not know how to change with the times. If you are looking for a fun place to work, this is not it. Canon is trying to move the needle on this however there are a lot of negative people that work there that are holding onto old feelings and experiences that made it a very tough place to work. They are very old school and traditional. Fairness triumphs rational. If you are an office administrator, you essentially hate your life. It's a lot of excel sheets and number plugging. If you are not at your desk ready to work by 8;55 am, you are considered late. The office location is far for someone living downtown and the office is moving to Brampton with will make the commute longer.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work at trying to make it a better place to work. Try loosening up the strict old school culture. Perhaps good employees will stay longer and will have less turn over.

Business Planning, Product Management, Finance & Budgeting

Former Employee - Business Planning - Product & Budgeting in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Pros

Throw you right into the deep end of the ocean, great learning experience and generally some nice people who are your co-workers.

Cons

Extremely outdated & old fashioned culture. No career advancement at all, and operates in a dying market space (consumer electronics). Most of management is Japanese and their management style completely goes against Canadian management style. Too much overtime and no flexibility, you have to call your boss every time you might be late (even if its five minutes, be it snow, traffic, whatever) but if you stay late, no one gives you that time back. Overall, there is a general lack of training and talented work force. People with MBA's, Acc designations and advanced degrees are not valued & the pay is roughly 25% to 30% below market

Advice to Management

Completely restructure management. Major Corporate culture over hall. Hire talented people. Increase your salaries. Offer flexible work schedules and work from home. Focus on getting more managers and directors who have actually grown up in Canada and have worked and gone to school here.

A balanced view....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canon Canada full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having worked in sales for the better part of a decade, my experience at Canon has been positive to say the least. Time and again I have been rewarded for my successes and have been given opportunities to grow and develop under an intelligent and strategic leader. I've never felt like just a number and my effort and determination are regarded as assets not expectations. That doesn't mean the job is easy, in fact its not easy at all but it is a job that will challenge you to be a better, more disciplined version of you. A you, that is capable of making things happen while wearing many hats and juggling many emotions. You are never on your own and there is always a resource to call upon. Looking ahead, the company is very motivated to retain its market leadership and continues to evaluate change where change is required. Investments are being made in all areas of the business including the people and driving a better customer experience for both staff and customers is why the company exists.

Cons

Not all groups are market sensitive and there is a process for everything. The sales role is a big role and as a member of the sales group you are working with many other groups which can take some patience and finessing.

Advice to Management

Base retention is just as important as new business if not more and let's be innovative in the way we leverage those relationships and show appreciation. A customer is not a customer until they buy a second time.

9. Dispatcher

Pros

Great teamwork with employees

Cons

Outsourcing calls to call centre in montreal

National Sales Manager

Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canon Canada full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been fortunate in my career at Canon. I have had many opportunities to move within the organization and follow a diverse career path with multiple opportunities to learn.

Cons

It takes a long time to change the corporate culture.

OK

Pros

Flexible Schedule Easy targets to hit

Cons

Unambitious and Bureaucratic environment Low pay compared to industry

Advice to Management

Cut the red tape

RSS Feed </> Embed