Canon Canada

Canon Canada President and CEO Kevin Ogawa

Kevin Ogawa

Great company!

I worked at Canon Canada full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAdvancement opportunities, great people, challenging work.

ConsStrict culture, some employee favouritism.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Oh Dear

Technical (Former Employee)
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canon Canada full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits are OK
Employee discounts and promos
Looks good on your resume

ConsPolitics and favoritism
Some managers highly unprofessional (eg. inappropriate conversations in the cafeteria)
Some people have sense of entitlement and take advantage
Workload can be heavy for some, others have little or nothing to do except go on facebook, take their cars in for service etc. - all on company time
Some people have special deals and arrangements that you will not get
HR sides with managers, not employees

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone equally. Working with someone for a long time should not mean they automatically have free reign to take advantage and misuse company resources.

What you make of it

Commercial Account Representative (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canon Canada full-time for more than a year

ProsCanon's leadership has allowed me to grow as a professional. It was my first career position after university and I'm grateful for the management's experience and support in establishing myself as a sales executive. The team atmosphere has allowed me to meet life-long friends and work relationships. Looking at other reviews of the organization I gather some individuals may have had a negative experience during their duration of employment. I'd argue their perspective on the organization and experience happens to be quite jaded without warrant. It can become quite easy to blame an organization as well as management for a lack of success as a representative without an introspective look at your attitude. In an outside sales environment you decides your income and the way management views you. These individuals that take a lack of responsibility for their mediocre performance exist in every company and their oppinions of Canon (or whatever company they work for) should be viewed critically for it. With that said I am grateful for the opportunity with Canon and can only speak highly of my colleagues and the management team that has supported and groomed my successes.

ConsUnfortunately some of the product does not have the sexy appeal that other industries may have. The outside sales role can become lonely at times as you do not necessarily have interaction on a daily basis with colleagues. As with any sales atmosphere comes the pressures and desires to perform and it takes experience to learn how to balance the pressures and your attitude to excel as a territory representative.

Advice to Senior ManagementOptomize CRM tools for Sales individuals rather than utilizing it as a tracking tool. There are very skilled individuals that could benifit from a more polished version of the propietary CRM program "iCan" that Canon currently utilizes in Canada. With that said, to my knowledge the management team is working on a major over haul to enhance the toolset territory representatives have in the field.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Every job/company has its pros and cons but overall, my experience was a positive one.

Commercial Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Canon Canada full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking at Canon has allowed me to grow exponentially at a personal and professional level. It is not secret that companies hiring sales people almost always recognize and appreciate someone that has "made it" in the copier industry (by made it I mean didn't get fired and didn't prematurely resign). I learned a tremendous amount about selling and I gained just as much confidence in my ability to sell because of the rigors that this job presents. For someone my age, I believe I made average earnings (salary/commission/bonus). The Canon brand is very strong and I was always proud to speak about the brand in both work and personal scenarios. Working for a large company also allows for less tedious tasks for sales people which is great because ultimately when you are in sales, all you should have to focus on is selling. I would absolutely recommend this job for someone that is interested in gaining experience and exposure that you will not find anywhere else and for someone that is interested in having a world-class company name like Canon on their resume.

ConsSpeaking specifically for individuals in sales-related roles, the growth potential (and more importantly the progressive earning potential) is very low. There is simply a very limited amount of opportunity to excel past 2-3 years on the job. As a result, about 90% of people hired will leave within 1-2 years based on the simple realization of reality that they come to.

Advice to Senior ManagementALWAYS promote internally. You do a great job hiring good people. Why lose them when they are only a few months away from potentially being ready?

Increase the base salary for reps based on tenure, not performance. I'm pretty sure that if someone lasted for 2 years without being fired, they have some value. Why pay them the same as a brand new rep with a fresh base of low-hanging-fruit?

Make quotas be based on the numbers that the specific sales territory brought in last year instead of some one-size-fits-all number. Deny it all you want but some territories are more prosperous than others. If territory A brought in $250 000 last year, make this year's quota $275 000. If territory B brought in $350 000 last year, make this year's quota $375 000. In both cases, growth is being equally encouraged.

Continue to eliminate as much red tape as possible.

Life for me at Canon was good

Districk Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canon Canada full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood people some of the best products on the market today and world wide company.

ConsThere can be some politics at Canon and there HR dept, is not for the worker but more for the company. Upper management is not in tune with its employees in some cases.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you have GOOD people do what is needed to keep them. Turn over can kill you.

Huge learning experience on what kind of place I do not want to work for. Everyone should experience the bottom.

Commercial Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I worked at Canon Canada full-time for more than a year

ProsBrand name, large corporation, Good insights on how a poorly run division actually functions. You really do learn a lot from the awful way the business solutions division is run - pretty amazing.

ConsAwful processes, big bureacratic mess, tries to control you as an invidivual (weird). The company is filled with people who think they are the best and brightest but in reality they are best at blaming everyone else for their mistakes. The business solutions division is basically a company operating with the Canon name that would otherwise go bankrupt if it were not for brand keeping it afloat. You cannot and will not affect change in this organization - just deal with whatever they throw at you.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your largest expense and greatest asset - your employees.

Stuck in a time warp

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Canon Canada full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat local office environments and people. Excellent MFP products. Above average compensation package

ConsResearch proves that printing will drop in North America by 16% this year alone. Canon has no strategy and no services to support their business without selling printers and MFPs. They are so manufacturer based (vs value add) The company is basically staffed by entry level sales selling to small business. I find it difficult to believe it will be easy to make a living there in 3 years. Even their service technicians and managers are quitting all over the place!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire support staff (service techs, analysts, project managers etc) and start to actually sell services instead of just talking about it.

Marketing

I worked at Canon Canada full-time

ProsBrand recognition
Quality products to market.
Ownership of your product line

ConsManagement lacks leadership which stifles employee growth
LOW pay not even comparable to the market standards
Hostile environment filled with politics and short term goals

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote talent not people who can play politics and improve leadership skills.

Good Experience

I worked at Canon Canada full-time

Pros- Amazing opportunity to challenge yourself and grow as an individual. Especially in regards to strengthening self-motivation, organization, goal-setting, and mental hardiness.
- Well rounded job to get a taste for all aspects of selling (inside sales, in the field, relationship sales)
- 'Possible' to be quite a lucrative position and bonus structure is great for successful reps
- Becoming an overall well-rounded professional working with all kinds of different industries

Cons- Administration processes
- Having to compete against our own product in terms of dealers while not being able to compete on price

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job - it's senior management in the company that needs to level the playing field for everyone who sells Canon business products. Canon still has (by FAR) the highest quality products in the market - would be far more successful if dealers weren't given the upper hand.

Territory Sales Representative or Commercial Account Executive

Commercial Account Representative (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canon Canada full-time for less than a year

Prosgood products.
well known company.
promote from within.

Conslow pay. (cheap)
everyone starts from the bottom even if you have 10 years experience.
products are 25% more expensive than competition, makes it harder to sell. hence lower income.
Base salary is $30000.00 and car allowance is $4000.00 annually.
You might need to work 50-60 hours a week to hit sales quotas of $320000.00 annually.
Sales quotas was close to $360000.00 annually, got reduced to $320000.00 in 2012 due to majority (60%) of sales reps not reaching their quotas so management was under a lot pressure to reduce it or face many sales reps quitting their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging your employees.

Worked for Canon Canada? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Canon Canada reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Canon Canada CEO Kevin Ogawa. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by Canon Canada employees.