Canon USA
www.usa.canon.com Lake Success, NY 5000+ Employees

Canon USA Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Canon USA – Melville – “Canon Americas Headquarters”

Canon USA President and CEO Joe Adachi

Joe Adachi

Pros:
  • "Pretty good benefits and good discounts on slow selling company photo and office products"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Brand name and some great products"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Main problem is lack of communication with managment and with other departments when working on projects"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Also, I think the upper management believes we are children in need of constant supervision"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Pretty good experience but hectic

District Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat Product and Marketing for products

ConsNot much room for advancement...managment doesn't care much about employees

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more Americans in charge...Japanese run things.....

A good company in the past and trending downward over the years.

ProsGreat place to work many many many years ago.

ConsBelow are highlights:
    - Inefficient decision making process.
    - Non-inspirational and boring culture.
    - Limited growth if your below a Japanese expat.
    - Highly political environment and a lot of finger pointing.
    - Meetings upon, meetings, upon meeting on the same subject.
    - Two sets of rules. One for locals, one for Japanese Expat.
    - Very weak vision and leadership at the top.
    - Disconnected with current market trends and culture. Old thinking. Old, old thinking.
    - Lack of Trust for the front line employees.
    - Sets policy assuming everyone in the world is evil and bad.
    - Policy for writing a policy and a policy for developing a policy.
    - Non-inclusive culture.
    - A lot of underperforming staff caused by constant Japanese management rotation.
    - A lot of red tape, mountains of red tap, I'm serious MOUNTAINS.
    - Current CEO eliminated christmas party and summer bar-b-que forever.
    - If you like sitting around waiting for a decision, this is the place for you.
    - No lunch at desk allowed.
    - Extremely week Japanese expat management and staff. Expat stay longer hours, but the level of quality work is significantly less.
    - Claims to use benchmark against other corporations and picks and chooses only what's bad for employee and leaves out all the goodies.
    - The list goes on by too tired to list all.
    It use to be a good company many years ago. There was less Expat and more trust.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect and trust your American employees, not just the top layer. The culture and moral is in dire need of a refresh. Without proud employees you enjoy coming to work the brand will suffer.

Great!

Insights (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsExtremely helpful. Walked you through the entire process. Learned quite a lot from all the senior directors and senior associates at the office located in long island new york.

ConsThere aren't a lot of cons to working at this company. The only con would be that there isn't a lot of collaboration going on between different divisions and groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mediocracy Lives Here

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Melville, NY

ProsSemi-stable company, good Brand, decent pay, Fancy new HQ.

ConsIf you are not Japanese, you will not succeed here. No growth for Americans, particularly females. Expatriates take up all top management spots. Rigid Japanese-like policies will make this company fail. Zero flexibility! Zero management discretion! HR's hands are clearly tied by CEO - new SVP and quality Sr. Director trying to make changes but swimming against Japanese tide. Camera and printer sales plummeting thanks to new technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementASK - then listen with an open mind. Implement some flexibility before you lose all of your decent employees.

What's Wrong with HR.......

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Melville, NY

ProsIf by "Pros", you mean "Professionals"....there are none here.

ConsWhat's wrong with HR rhymes with party, smarty, hearty, claxon, axon and maxon.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone since you don't listen anyway.......

"It's a job, not a career..."

Budget Specialist (Current Employee)
    Melville, NY

ProsIt's a local LI company that has good job security, great people to work with and excellent products.

ConsManagement is disconnected from the worker bees. Although there are some members of the SR Management team that are interested in your ideas getting things done is next to impossible with the meetings about meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people do the job they were hired for.

Slow paced, very strong Japanese culture

Corporate Planning Analyst (Current Employee)
    Lake Success, NY

ProsLifetime employment without doing much, nice people, 9-5 job

ConsLeadership team is all Japanese (except CBS president), uninspiring, slow, most people are from Long Island, decisions not made without consensus of entire team and President

Advice to Senior ManagementMake room for foreigners in senior management

No Privacy Allowed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits are okay. Company is fairly stable as the Japanese are usually reluctant to let someone go, even if the person is completely incompetent. If you are a manager or higher, your salary is very healthy.

ConsYour salary depends on your title, and not on your competency, your work ethic, or how long you have been there. The low walls separating the cubicles and the open-floor plan in the new headquarters at Melville is totally counter productive to thinking and working efficiently. The complete lack of privacy forces you to hear all the phone calls and conversations that take place around you all day long, and to see what everyone else is doing, too. The new cubicles are extremely cramped, and offer very little room to store your work or belongings.

Advice to Senior ManagementAmericans like lots of space and cherish their privacy. Redesign the cubicles to give back space and privacy so the workers can do their jobs properly.

you need to be Japanese.

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee)
    Melville, NY

Prosgood benefit, good co-workers, good learning step

Consyou will be for ever in the same position

Advice to Senior Managementupdate your criteria

I feel like I'm back in school

Marketing Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsVery peaceful and welcoming work environment. Very good training program for new employees. Very nice and newly built building. Pleasant people to work with.

ConsLow salaries. The rumor goes around that people hardly get promoted or can move to other departments within the company. Too much rules and regulations about how to eat your food, how to use the fitness center, etc. We are not even allowed to eat at our desks. The fitness center just opened but they made us do some homework and sign a waiver before letting us using it! Like we are bunch of little kids who do not know how to behave!

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your employees progress in their career and get promoted. They are all hard working people with high goals and dreams.

Worked for Canon USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Canon USA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Canon USA CEO Joe Adachi. All 140 reviews posted anonymously by Canon USA employees.