Canon USA Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated September 2, 2014
2.7

Canon USA President and CEO Joe Adachi
Joe Adachi

Pros
  • Pretty good benefits and good discounts on slow selling company photo and office products (in 9 reviews)

• Great products, with exposure to multiple industries (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Main problem is lack of communication with managment and with other departments when working on projects (in 5 reviews)

• Also, I think the upper management believes we are children in need of constant supervision (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

85 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Loved the people I worked with

Former Employee - Specialist  in  Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Specialist in Melville, NY

I worked at Canon USA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company, looks good on resume, gorgeous new facility, great products
    loved my coworkers, loved my manager (but that can be hit or miss)

Cons

promotions are difficult and slow
    very much pigeon holed into specific role
    silos in every dept
    expat favoritism

WEIRDEST COMPANY EVER

Former Employee - Contractor  in  Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Contractor in Melville, NY

I worked at Canon USA as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Of course this company is high in the photography and media industry so it sounds cool to work there.

Cons

The company is run from Japan. Nobody in the US is brave enough to make decisions or be acceptable for their actions. The people who work there are arrogant and treat their freelance, contract and even some full-time employees with disrespect. They look down their noses and blame the new guy for everything. Internal managers are afraid to get rid of any full-time employees causing problems. Just not nice people who work there…just nasty.

Treat your employees and contractors with a little more respect….no make that a lot more respect!

Hard place to work for a woman

Former Employee - Senior Specialist  in  Lake Success, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Specialist in Lake Success, NY

I worked at Canon USA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits and stable employment

Cons

Lack of training and communication. Unless you're a Japanese Expat you will not get far within the company. If you are a woman you have even less chance then that.

There is a lack of positive reinforcement and employees feel discouraged much of the time.

One has to be at Canon for 15-20 years to reach Senior Management positions. Even then more opportunities are given to MEN then to WOMEN (with same qualifications).

Since the Japanese culture believes a woman wont devote her time to a job once married and running a home, not much time is invested in job training and opportunities given to women who want to grow within the company.

The constant shift of management and department reorganization is appalling. You could work for three different managers in one year, each having their own rules and regulations.

A Japanese Expat will be promoted within 1-2 years of arrival, without speaking English and still learning the job, an American will wait for that same promotion for 4-5 years at least (these are lower level promotions not Senior promotions).

Its unfortunate and disappointing that I invested so much time into this company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stable Company and that's it!

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Melville, NY

I have been working at Canon USA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Stable and decent benefits, new office, decent business travel accommodations.

Cons

Salary, poor management, poor HR skills, old business practices, creative atmosphere, over-priced cafeteria,

Listen more to employees, hire qualified employees, improve salary and provide incentives to employees.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Lake Success, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in Lake Success, NY

I have been working at Canon USA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of room for advancement.

Cons

Medical benefits not that good.

Give credit where credit is deserved

Diverse culture, room for advancement and has growing divisions

Former Employee - Account Relations Representative  in  Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Account Relations Representative in Melville, NY

I worked at Canon USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly co-workers, lots of personal growth classes offered..

Cons

"By the book" management style slows down the work flow, leading to much frustration

Dead End Job

Current Employee - Associate Specialist  in  Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Specialist in Melville, NY

I have been working at Canon USA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company name is impressive, my co-workers are nice people, the hours are not demanding, and the new HQ is very pretty. My boss is a nice guy... At least the one I have now. The benefits are ok.

Cons

Where to begin... I've worked here 8 years, and I've had about that many different bosses that I've had to try to impress. Each one has promised me a promotion if I do xyz, and then one of two things happens -- either I get a new boss who doesn't care what the old boss says, or the guy who told me to do xyz says, "Wellll, you did that, but you ALSO have to do abc." Whatever reasons they give me are all BS excuses. The real reasons I can't get ahead in this company is because I'm not Japanese and I don't brown nose. Doesn't matter how much responsibility I take on, how well I do my job, or how well I get along with everyone. I'm stuck in the world of low woman on the totem pole.
    Also, I think the upper management believes we are children in need of constant supervision. For instance, they removed chairs from the hallway because people were sitting there for their breaks. No one said anything. The chairs just disappeared for awhile. They've since been returned.
    Third, the cubicles are so tiny and the walls are low. I can hear EVERYTHING that's going on. And some people don't really have the courtesy to go into a conference room -- they'll just use their speaker phones right at their desks, which is very distracting and makes it very hard to work.
    The pay sucks, especially at my level.

Treat us like adults. Promote people who are competent, not those who fake-laugh at your jokes. Flex time would be nice, or maybe the ability to work from home. I have a long commute, and when it snowed this winter, I had to use my personal time because I didn't see the point in risking my life to get to work. I could have done a lot of the work I missed right from home, and it would have been a lot more productive.

Great Products and people.

Former Employee - Sales Administrative Representative  in  Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Administrative Representative in Melville, NY

I worked at Canon USA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employees work together with ease.

Cons

Pay is not so great.

Job security for those with no career goals, Very slow promotion schedule for those who wish to excel.

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist  in  Lake Success, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Lake Success, NY

I worked at Canon USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very loyal to their employees.
    Good benefits. Decent Pay.

Cons

Very hard to get promoted unless you plan on becoming a lifer!
    A LOT of dead weight, (people doing their jobs just well enough not to get fired).
    Managers run their department with scare tactics, and micro manage too much.

Take a look around and recognize your achievers, give them the incentive to stay with you and get rid of those who drag the company down.

Great Internship Program

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

I worked at Canon USA as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with and the internship program really allows you to learn and experience your job structure. A great place to learn what corporate structure has to offer.

Cons

No casual friday dress attire

Worked for Canon USA? Contribute to the Community!