Canon USA Reviews

Updated September 2, 2014
2.7

Canon USA President and CEO Joe Adachi
Joe Adachi

Pros
  • Pretty good benefits and good discounts on slow selling company photo and office products (in 9 reviews)

• Great products, with exposure to multiple industries (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Main problem is lack of communication with managment and with other departments when working on projects (in 5 reviews)

• Also, I think the upper management believes we are children in need of constant supervision (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work!

Former Employee - Technical Marketing Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Marketing Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Canon USA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They appreciate their people. When the chips were down due to the turn in the economy, they took care of their employees. They offer average pay, but have great benefits. Nobody will get rich working at Canon, but they will enjoy the balance between work and home while being employed at the company. I had left for personal reasons, but years later still have very fond memories of my time at Canon USA.

Cons

The products Canon creates is not at the premium it once deserved. Towards the end of my time at Canon, there became a certain Xerox type of feeling permeating through the company. Some thought that the Canon products were so superior to the rest of the competition that many would pay the higher price to have the pleasure of owning a Canon product. During the past few years and the loss of a few big accounts, many still have that feeling.

As with all companies, there are some people in management that should have been let go years ago. The best sales people and/or report writers are not always the best managers of people.

Great Benefits and Great Fellow Employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Canon USA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Benefits, great products, great pay and great fellow employees. Actually a really good company to work for.

Cons

Micromanaging can bring down a really great company. One set of standards for the Japaneses and one set of standards for the Americans working for them. Corporate office NY treats other offices like red headed step children. Have priced products way to high and loosing customers because of it. HR acting like they are god.

Don't make the same business mistakes that Xerox did which brought them down in the rankings. Stop micromanaging and believe in all of your employees and not just the Japaneses. Canon was number one in the world at one time. What happen? Running the good name of Canon into the ground. Not giving our customers the respect and outstanding customer service they deserve.

Why Oh Why Did I Leave?

Former Employee - National Accounts Representative  in  Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - National Accounts Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Canon USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are amazing. I had a baby and paid only $100 out of pocket, simply amazing.
    On Site Gym. I lost about 10 pounds working out before I got pregnant.
    On Site Cafeteria
    Fantastic Managers and Supervisors
    Very mellow workplace
    Decent Pay
    Excellent Expansion- They post new job openings for about a week before opening to the public because they like promoting within home and outsiders when they really need to.

I truly miss this job, my department and my old coworkers and will jump at the chance to come back as soon as they open up again. Definitely a place I can call home for a very long time. I lasted a little over 2 years but left because of a conflict in schedule after maternity leave. That was a sad day indeed. Loved the president, Mr. Joe Adachi. Loved the end of year and top of the year bonuses because that told us that he cared and wanted to keep his company together. Some may say it's a revolving door company but to be honest, the 2 years I was there we only needed a few agents to replace the few that left for personal reasons and one termination. They like to retain their employees so they like to exhaust everything possible to maintain you before giving up. I loved my supervisor, he was caring and very understanding. This is not just lies, this is my personal experience.

Cons

The only con I can come up with is the micromanagement at times in regards to cell phone usage. Now, I know you are not supposed to be using your cell on the floor or texting but to me you have to lead by example and when your manager is doing it but he's threatening a write up with you doing it then that's a problem to me. I still feel that we are all adults and know how to work and handle our own cell phones without rules but that goes for all companies insistent on harping on this rule. Nevertheless, that is the only con, which really isn't one, just more a personal opinion.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very solid employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lake Success, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY

I have been working at Canon USA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Work with smart people, many of whom have worked for the company a long time.
    - Company sells market-leading devices-- which one can only fully appreciate after having worked at a company that sells lower quality goods.
    - Collegial department.
    - Good boss; managers respects my abilities and opinion.
    - No sense of needing to look over my shoulder to be careful about new cut-throat employees. Instead my sense is you're more valued the longer you've been with the company.

Cons

- Of course you wish you'd get paid more, but comp is satisfactory.
    - Two-edged sword: Because it's a good place to work with little turnover in my department, advancement opportunities are few and take a while to open up.

Unbelievable.............

Current Employee - Middle Mgt  in  Lake Success, NY
    Current Employee - Middle Mgt in Lake Success, NY

I have been working at Canon USA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great products. Good management practices in Sales Divisions. Administrative divisions are another story...........

Cons

Bizzarre Administrative Upper Management. Make their own rules as required. Feel that company policies do not apply to them. Impossible to challange them. Incompetent to say the least (with the exception of Corporate Planning). People actually use the word "hate" when referring to HR and HR Staff behavior.

You: Drop the yawning and the defensive attitude.

Other Guy:drop the hottie, tell the truth for a change, back your people (all of them, not just the hottie).

Top Guy: Wake up and take a look around at your Admin leaders.

Good Stable Company to work for, with lots of people that do nothing all day

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lake Success, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY

I have been working at Canon USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable Company, Decent Salary, possible growth

Cons

A lot of people around that you can't really figure out what they do all day.

Stable company to work for

Current Employee - E-Commerce Specialist  in  Lake Success, NY
    Current Employee - E-Commerce Specialist in Lake Success, NY

I have been working at Canon USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good name, good corp culture

Cons

Non competitive salaries. Bad managers

Hire the right people. Hire intelligent people.

This used to be a great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Canon USA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People and products are fantastic! Has tremendous technology, good processes, and excellent partners ans alliances.

Cons

Management at corporate has no vision or strategy to continue the future of a great company. Slowly imploding on itself. Squanders ability to own the market by playing everything too close.

Listen to your people in the trenches. Trust them! Without trust and loyalty, you just have a mind numb robot. Get realistic about today's market.

Introverted Japanese centric firm - double standard

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  North New HYarde Park, NY
    Former Employee - Supervisor in North New HYarde Park, NY

I worked at Canon USA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefit. No complex work. Strong products easy sell.

Cons

Expats are very secretive about business info from Japan HQ. Some take advantage of it over locals who don't have access to it. Low salary... small chance of promotion to senior management positions which are essentially rotational positions for expats.

Just treat expats and locals equally in terms of opportunity and meaningful business decision making processes

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Canon USA

Pros

- Job security: the company is very conservative, but has long-term goals;
    - compensation up to par with market rates;
    - company cares about environment and people;
    - good products based on excellent technology

Cons

- management is largely based on Japanese style (e.g., excessively hierarchical);
    - no flexibility on scheduling or time off
    - too conservative (takes too long to make decisions; this hurts the company. For a technology-based company, decisions (business and otherwise) should be more efficient)

- improve cafeteria services and lower price of food
    - implement optional tele-commuting (e.g., one day per week) for employees who can do their jobs from remote locations;

Worked for Canon USA? Contribute to the Community!