Canon Virginia

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Yusaku Azuma

One of my favorite employers.

Repair Technician II (Former Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsExcellent advancment opportunity for those with drive and talent

ConsAlot of coworkers that are just there for a paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise up those that work hard and try for excellence.

Canon salaries are terrible

Camera Repair Technician II (Current Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsSteady work and good benefits

ConsThe pay is horrible. I make under $400 a week and had to get a second job. The average pay rise is 40¢ a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries to a level your employees can live on in today's America

Excellent Company

ProsBenefits are second to none. Work-life balance is great.

ConsThere really are no cons

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Job was okay but the salary was less than desirable!

Engineering Technician (Former Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsVacation and time off was great.
    Depending on the department you are in the management can be very good.
    Benefits were very good.

ConsLack of resources.
    10000 pages of paperwork to do anything.
    salary was horrible at least 5-8k below average.

Employee

ProsGreat work environment! Great people! President is interested in members suggestions! Human resources is great and go above and beyond helping when they can!

ConsPay is low but benefits are excellent! Trying to find a company with similar benefits is almost impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart grooming your members for future change!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

TOO TOP HEAVY

Maintenance (Current Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsPaid time off work, optical,medical and dental benefits, big enough company to remain strong during weak economy, working in a controlled climate and fairly clean enviroment.

ConsThe advertised "PTO" time can be difficult to schedule. They beat their chests about how family oriented they are, in reality, the employee MUST really be family or friend to advance or have any flexibility in te company. Safety is an issue, and just another dog and pony show. Management is very demanding of the employees and very demeaning tho them, as well. They change their work schedule on the fly and expect employees to switch schedules (find child care arrangements etc..) within 24 hours notice. Its obvious that management is very inexperienced and unqualified for their positions. They are good at the blame game and pointing fingers at the hourly employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry getting a job where you don't have family or friends paving the way for yor career. Take a look in the mirror, would you want a man talking to your wife, sister or child the way you talk to them ?

I walked away frustrated

Camera Repair Technician III (Former Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsClean utilities, good cafeteria, decent benefits package, free online academy, high safety standards, PTO.

ConsNegative politicking. Stressful for no meaningful reason. Generally, prepare to deal with poor quality people. Paid enough to struggle financially. No way to advance; the career path promised by HR is such a fallacy.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you give people power without oversight, it's a prescription for... abuse, and that's exactly what most of the team leaders, supervisors, and even managers have been doing to your employees. Also, pay the people in whom you invested what they deserve.

Slave labor

Product Repair Technician II (Former Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsGreat co-workers, good cafeteria, great benefits.

ConsThe management has no idea of the actual process it takes you to do your job, because they have never done it themselves. Trying to make production quota out of end-user repair is flat-out asinine. Anyone who has done this work will tell you that.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no need for the level of stress CVI induces for an easy, fun job such as electronics repair. The best thing you did for me was terminate my miserable employment.

Good work experience, low pay (for Temp Hire)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsPlenty of good work experience with very friendly workers in the facility. Was a pleasure to to go to work on a day to day.

ConsSeems that some of the engineers are treated poorly, and not really given engineering work and instead preventative maintenance work. Though I suppose that this results from the flexibility required to maintain a manufacturing facility. Does not appear to have much upward movement.

Advice to Senior ManagementSame as above. Respect your workers and they will respect you.

All about the numbers...

Product Repair Technician II (Former Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsThe co-workers are the number one pro of working here. Another perk is the discounted merchandise and being able to borrow professional photography equipment.

ConsRegardless of defect rate, if your production isn't at par with an already high production rate, there are administrative repercussions.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't reprimand leaders in front of subordinates. Stand up for your subordinates if they are in the right, if they aren't, then let them know and don't be two faced.

Worked for Canon Virginia? Contribute to the Community!