Canrig Drilling Technology Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Chris Papouras

Pros
  • The company encourages you to further your education and grow within your career (in 2 reviews)

• Freedom without micro management (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Slave to the parent company and their processes (in 6 reviews)

• Constant layoffs due to poor management, and a president whos either complicit, or dubiously unaware of whats causing the loss of profits (in 6 reviews)

1. Keep it down and low

Former Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at Canrig Drilling Technology (More than a year)

Pros

The pace is slow. Not too much pressure. Technology stacks are straight forward.

Cons

The company is not interested in innovation. Just business as usual always wins.

Advice to Management

Take more risk. Give people more accountability and promote innovation to win against competition.

2. Canrig Houston

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Canrig Drilling Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some really good people that want to succeed

Cons

Management is dysfunctional at best. No clear direction, priorities change by the minute and there is very little agreement on direction from the different department heads.

Advice to Management

Need a President that is involved and runs his organization

3. Account Manger

Former Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Canrig Drilling Technology (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Laid off due to price of oil.

Advice to Management

Hire me back because I was a loyal employee and hard worker

5. Canrig

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Magnolia, TX
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Magnolia, TX

I have been working at Canrig Drilling Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone is pretty friendly and easy going. Nice quiet town. Nothing is too complicated.

Cons

They tend to promote from the outside.

Advice to Management

Drive home how important communication is.

software engineer

Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

Ability to show up and leave whenever you desire. No accountability at all!

Cons

No enough space to list them all here. For starters, tremendous arrogance at the top. Laziness among managers. No deadlines. Lack of directioN. Reliance on third party contractors

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Dont even bother

I worked at Canrig Drilling Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good learning experience, and CAN be a fun atmosphere...until the market crashes then watch out. Everybody is out to get everybody, Management has ZERO integrity or actual values except what goes in their pocket.

Cons

Grown men acting like children in the taddle tale dept. Constant "you will get fired if" attitude. If you do something which you are told to do by one, but not the other, get ready for discrimination, reprisal, and termination...which I just got a taste of. The "good ole boys" club in full effect here. Plant manager fired me and wouldn't even talk to me over the phone to discuss the outcome and why it was reached, and hid under his desk when I came to drop off uniforms. Poured everything I had into the company, pioneered numerous ways to make many of the tasks faster and more efficient while being much more safe than the "we've been doing it this way for 20yrs" method. Yet, none of that is taken into consideration once you become an enemy to the good ole boy by doing your actual job.

Advice to Management

Stop being cowards first off! Learn some integrity and dignity. You want to lessen your turnover rate? Crush the good ole boys club. Then actually reward the employees who make you money and line your already fat pockets. OR, just go ahead and replace yourselves with people who deserve the positions.

8. MacJob of the oilfield

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at Canrig Drilling Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At one time (pre-recession) this company was an amazing place to work.

Cons

- Safely program is for illusory effect only. The safety paperwork is so redundant & tedious that employees often create a blanket-response in electronic format that can easily be copied & pasted or auto-filled into the safety documents - upper management are the only permanent employees, if you fall outside of this category, at some point you will fall victim to layoffs (on average, about every 10 months or so) - managements sole preoccupation is with inventing ways to transfer their duties and obligations onto their subordinates. Also, you will be the patsy when something goes wrong. Among your job descriptions, are to be a disposable employee who can be scapegoated to indemnify management if something goes wrong. You are the in-line fuse, an intrinsic protection, meant to be sacrificed in order to protect their jobs (managers) - HR's sole preoccupation is with running pass-interference for an inept management. If you mess up, HR will sustain your write ups, citing that you violated policy, yet when I had contacted HR in the past about some of managements gross violations or deviations from policy, they referenced the company policies as mere "guidelines" which were flexible, not fixed. In other words, the policies do not apply unilaterally amongst management and subordinates, and are instead enforced selectively.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for them, actually their corruption drove me away from the company and I was able to obtain gainful employment elsewhere, and I am better off for it. If anything I'm partially thankful, as I would not have my current job if the had not made things so repressive and drove me away.

Run as far as you can

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Canrig Drilling Technology full-time

Pros

90% of the people that work here are great. There are some very interesting projects to work on.

Cons

10% of the people that work here can make your life miserable. As long as you are liked and work minimally your job is safe. People are disposable. There are massive layoffs every year it seems. Apathetic CEO and management.

Advice to Management

Lower management salaries. Do not hire people without a management degree or better, not hire managers without a Bachelor's degree.

10. Intern

Pros

Very friendly co-workers, especially to the interns. Many events for interns and mentors were always looking for real projects to assign.

Cons

IT was low quality for a company of its size

Do Not Work Here!

I worked at Canrig Drilling Technology full-time

Pros

Met some great people I hope to see again at another company.

Cons

Management could not care any less for its workers. Layoff occurred during Thanksgiving lunch, so people who brought desserts to share might instead get escorted to parking lot. The President didn't care to reschedule layoff away from holiday. Two years later, they layoff staff who are aged 59+.

Advice to Management

Drop your salaries until finances improve. It is the Executive level salaries that are killing the company. When things improve, diversify your product line to offshore / subsea drilling.

RSS Feed </> Embed