Canrig Drilling Technology

www.canrig.com

Canrig Drilling Technology Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Chris Papouras

Pros
  • Lots of time off (I mean Lots, especially if you are laid off)(in 2 reviews)

• No micro management in software engg(in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management listens to upper management without questioning any poor decisions(in 6 reviews)

• Poor management, no career progression, no raises(in 5 reviews)

A company with growing pains

Software Specialist (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsDecent pay(not great), there is room to grow within the company(not within software development), set schedule at corporate level(not at field level), good people, Some really innovative products to work on.

ConsThere is a propensity within software development to hire contractors out of India. Middle management does not seem to know how to acquire and keep skilled workers.(everybody leaves) Upper management is focused on safety which is great for the field environment but is ridiculous for an office setting. Project managers have too much power.

Advice to Senior ManagementTurnover is your biggest problem you need better starting salary, better vacation package at start of job, a less complicated appraisal process, more transparency on projects and company direction.
    Also gathering customer input to improve the product is very limited and should be expanded.

Struggling to Mature

Project Manager (Software Development) (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAllot of caring people in the organization

ConsSlave to the parent company and their processes. Worst IT and Financial systems I've ever run across.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake some decisions and learn to say no to assignments

top heavy, very reactive company, management keeps cutting cost in the wrong areas-starting with w/technicians.

Prosmove up quickly if you are part of the "good ole boys clan". Good way to get in the Industry and move on.

Consmake up new policies on the fly. inconstant, reactive planning instead of proactive. runs there techs in the ground and then wants to cut their hours and look for duty cycle infractions. speaks before the think. Higher management without prior experience in the industry.

Advice to Senior Managementclean house and start over. Get rid of the Epoch management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Much Effort with Little to No Reward

ProsMany opportunities to expand knowledge, if you are self motivated. Training is available if you are able to take the time to attend. There is always work to be done and people rely on the OT due to the low pay grade for some of the employees.

ConsEmployees with Knowledge, Experience and Exceeding Expectations do not get compensated or promoted for their continuous efforts. All job openings are not posted so it makes it very difficult to know what opportunities for a promotion are available.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the employees that you rely on. Manage and Lead the employees that require guidance. Cut the dead weight employees, they only bring down the Team.

Stable workplace with a lot of potential

Software Engineering (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood team culture in the software engg. team. Every idea brought to the table is heard and you are given freedom to contribute and all the seniors listen with open mind. Good compensation (above average) compared to market. I check the market every year. No micro management in software engg.

Some flexibility in work hours. Training is now added to your yearly goals and career paths are being defined as well. Above all good work life balance, leaders care about you and your family.

Layoffs are rare, I hate to disagree with one of the other ex -short time employee here. It was a very small layoff considering the size of the company and the only one in 15 years in software team.

ConsOK insurance, could do better. Change takes time and lot of influence by parent company that affects decisions and limits managers at Canrig.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the changing market and react quickly instead of waiting for approvals from parent company. Create more agile teams and deliver stuff to market better and faster.

Good company

ProsGreat work atmosphere for working. People crack jokes and be funny to easy the work load

ConsLow salary, bonuses and understaffed.

The sum of all fears, an exercise in corporate self-destruction

Software Specialist (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSome of the employees are the brightest in the industry, and working with them was a pleasure. When everyone knows and performs their job, things come together seamlessly. The good employees are the glue that stl holds this "house of cards" together.

Cons- There is no real concern with safety, but rather, the contracts that may be lost due to a poor safety record.

- Canrig has an extremely large number of managers, who are non-producers (their contributions don't produce any product or services). These managers oversee the significantly smaller number of worker drones who do produce the products, goods, and services. This disparity creates an imbalance, wherein the managers entrench themselves into the compang and are long term "lifer" employees with cush jobs, and the worker drones are treated as a disposable/expendable commodity. Inevitably, high turn-over rates and poor morale result. This sort of culture and ethics that promotes an "elite" class (managers) overseeing a sub-class of worker drones.

- Managers use expense reimbursement reports and company credit cards to make personal purchases, at great cost to the company, its customers and shareholders.

- Constant layoffs due to poor management, and a president whos either complicit, or dubiously unaware of whats causing the loss of profits.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe you should start reading the concerns posted here, and taking them seriously.

Ok place to start out and get time in, but not somewhere you'd want to retire.

ProsGood after work activities: Toastmasters, sports teams, mentoring programs, etc. Occasional lunch provided with meetings. Monthly celebration of birthdays by birthday cake with a list of employee birthdays once a month. Happy with pay and bonuses, and tuition reimbursement is a plus.

ConsLots of layoffs. Last Thanksgiving potluck they laid people off that had brought in desserts/dishes. It was awful. Parent company has total control over our company, and we are unable to get anything done. They also treat us like the redheaded step children. Extremely frustrating for employees. High turnover. So many people quitting, and so little being hired. Hiring for position replacements are a year or more, until then everyone just picks up the slack hoping they will someday hire someone. Management is poor, and barely any leadership. No room to grow or move around in different departments. Employees are discouraged from advancing. No outside training offered. Health benefits are awful. You only get one choice, and it isn't a very good one. Company promotes safety, but upper management has very poor attitude about leading by example.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit, and let better managers replace you.

Avoid Canrig at all costs

ProsThere are no pros to think of.

ConsFacts about Canrig:
    Laid off staff on same day as company Thanksgiving lunch; shows how considerate they are of employees.
    Very finicky about entering time; a lot of time is spent looking for project charge codes.
    Obsessed with self-imposed safety quotas; safety program has become ridiculous.
    High turnover; anyone who can leave, does.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Ok Place

Engineering (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBeen a decent place for me to work

ConsTo many people getting laid off and fired. I worry about my position.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep some of the turn over low. It gets dis-heartening seeing to many people come and go.

Worked for Canrig Drilling Technology? Contribute to the Community!