Canteen

Add Photos

Dennis Hogan

Challenging

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood pay, great people to work with

ConsExtremely long hours, no support from management

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize driver time better

The 2nd worst job i have had in NC

Route Sales (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsThere are no pros.. Maybe the medical and dental plans

ConsEverything about this company is a con . Long hours,Little pay, Mentality of slave masters, A lot of free labor with no compensation. Take day off an your responsible to make up work along with regular days work, Management is full of BS. Some of the most horrible trucks. Job just sucks!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPack your bags and revamp whole company and system. Its a shame that such a company is allowed to operate under these conditions as this company do. They have such a high turnover there and i see why .They just can`t possible believe or think someone wants to work in these type of conditions . Horrible job!!

Great people are employed at Canteen, they just don't get to be upper management.

Route Driver (Former Employee) Traverse City, MI

ProsMmmmm, you desperately need a paycheck. Other than that, I would say that there are some very quality people that do WORK at the company. Unfortunately, those people may as well feel forever constrained to being nothing more than a cog in the machine, they have NO chance to advance. Oh yeah, to be fair, they do have a very good insurance program. That was really impressive, given that so many other factors were really bad.

ConsHours can be insanely long, as in 65 hours or more, in a 5 day week. Management wants it done in a particular way, but gosh darn it, they never tell you about it until after they have changed it, and figured you already knew. Anecdotal evidence of how bad this company is. A driver services a truck (puts oil in a motor that is low on it) and gets insulted by the management about the decision to stop at a spot to get said oil (less than a mile off route) and is told that they do not pay him to be a mechanic. True on the face, but they were not paying me to ignore the condition of my truck, and not take care of a problem. I only indicate that the company will not get worse over the next six months because it is difficult for me to imagine it actually being a more craptastic place to work than it already is.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to the owner. You should consider how your company is run, and decide if you want to have a person in charge that is not providing any effective leadership, and instead attempts to operate through intimidation and head games. Also, since that may not matter to you, consider if you want a person that treats your clients poorly, and loses accounts that are lucrative, while at the same time maintaining accounts that are with people he likes, but continue to lose money. If you have an account that is serviced only once in a four week period, and it only sells a case of soda, it probably is a poor place to have a machine placed. On the other hand, paint the picture how you will, if your manager loses a major food service account over personal issues that sets your volume off by 100s of thousands per year, maybe you should take notice.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You what a review ? Fuget about it!

Route Driver (Current Employee)

ProsThere are no pros in this place.

ConsUnless you want to work 12 hours a day, for peanuts. Go ahead!

Advice to Senior ManagementTHINK!!!!!!!!!!

UNSAFE AND UNFAIR CLOSEST THING TO SLAVERY

Route Sales (Former Employee)

ProsYou get good pay but its only because you have worked long hours which only averages out to normal pay

ConsYour safety will not be the number one priority. You will be forced to work with faulty equipment that will cause you to have to stack and unstack heavy drinks at a far distance from your body while being rushed causing you to have permanent back problems. One of the side back doors would not even open and the other could not be opened from outside the truck. That caused me to have to go to the very back door and climb inside and pull the door open by a wire that would cut my hands because the door is so very hard to open. They will try to train to learn the entire plan o gram, scanner, route, loading truck, loading machines within he first two days, expecting you to be just as fast as the person who has worked there for over 20 years. They will talk trash and roll their eyes n your first day of training. You will get your hands cut in the machines and the truck doors trying to be just as fast as they are and you will still be talked to like a you are a dog with everybody watching. The customers will even ask you how do you put up with someone like that. The trainer will not let you fill the machines because he knows you will slow him down, because you are still inexperienced. I only got to fill about three machines within the two weeks. Its bad for you, because by not filling the machines you won't gain speed within training period so after two weeks they will let you go. I only worked for five days when I was told I had three days to build my speed or they would have to let me go. Over half of the machines will not dex so you will have to manually key in all inventory. If you do not know how to load the truck, the machine plan o gram, how to dex the machines, how to key in inventories on the handheld,know the route, and have speed while doing so they will fire you within two weeks, just like they did me

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want your inventory levels to be perfect you need to worry about speed after the driver has learned to properly do the job. you need to have more back up drivers to properly train new employees instead of paying out all this money just to train someone that you plan to fire on the second day of work. I know you have the money to do so because there are people who are route drivers that make more than $1500 per week. Can't approve of the CEO below because I know nothing about him or even who he is I was told nothing about him what so ever

The worst place to work for

Route Driver (Former Employee) Elmhurst, IL

ProsThere are no good things to say about canteen.

ConsWork you to death . Blame you for all inventory issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew managmnt is needed!

Dissatisfied with Canteen culture at branch level

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany locations: Culture at the corporate location in NC seems better than branch level

ConsWork-life balance awful. Culture is terrible.

This company is a disgrace !!!

Route Driver (Current Employee) Rockford, IL

ProsThey pay you on time !!!

ConsEverything else about this company is horrible,long hours,lack of management and no structure. Dangerous conditions to work in. The company posts every route drivers sales,which lets everyone know what everyone is making,management makes horrible decisions,and because of it we lose alot of customers to rival vending companies. Management is abusive to employees,and also lie and tell them they dont have to let them know even things that affect their pay rates. If you worked for a company that was bought out by this joke of a company,you have no chance at all,they have different rules for employees that came in as Canteen employees. You work minimum of 12 hour days for little pay,then they wont even give you a review or a raise ever,in fact you lose money because management is so horrible with customer service that you lose a bunch of your stops. I have never worked for a company so horrible in my lifetime.its lucky they have Compass group backing,because if they had to go on there own,they would never make it ! Upper management are just mean to your face,call you names and make you feel very small !!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue on what you are doing,even your customers think you are a joke !!!

Regional Sales Director

Regional Sales Director (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat company to work for with a lot of room for advancement. Canteen is the best company I have ever worked for.

ConsThe company will provide you with a lot of freedom and it can be enough to hang yourself if you are not a hard worker.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Wide Corporate Structure

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsStable work environment that is ever evolving as America grows more and more attached to the consumption of junk food.

ConsCustomer service managers enter the company in a very wide (flat) spot on the corporate ladder. I had five peers and only one position that we could realistically compete for. As the person in that position was not going anywhere for a while... I came to realize that I had no place to advance without relocating. Very long hours. Culture at my location appreciated hard work and sacrifice of time... not smart work and efficient use of time. Finishing something early meant more time to go back and redo/recheck.

Worked for Canteen? Contribute to the Community!