CapTech Reviews

Sandy Williamson

Leadership Matters

Current Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CapTech

Pros

As consultants, we're oftentimes brought into less-than-ideal situations and the more experience I obtain in these situations shows me how important something like leadership is to a company. My first few years out of school I could've cared less about something as vaporous and often missused as 'leadership'. However, what I've found is that like a sound technician at a concert, leadership is most obvious when things aren't going well. When it's done right, things are smooth, progress is made and people are happy. When things go wrong, it's impossible to think about anything else.
    As I gain more and more years of experience I think - in addition to great people - the leadership at CapTech is their best and most underrated quality. From my perspective, the owners of the company share a few common characteristics: wisdom, drive and humility. That's a pretty powerful combination and they pull it off really well.
    I've been an employee for coming on 5 years and year after year we have really strong growth, great career paths, top-notch training and a respectful, engaging culture.
    Like most people I'm always aware of other career opportunities but so far there has not been another company that provides the complete package like CapTech does. I'm really happy working here.

Cons

I think the change from a small to a mid-size company has uncovered some growing pains. It's nice to flexibility trumping unnecessary structure, but there can be periods of ambiguity as we change our processes to keep up with our size.

One of our core values is Servant Leadership. It was inspiring to see that in such bold type when it was announced - please keep embodying it, it's what makes our company great.

Smart people, challenging work and great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CapTech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CapTech has given me lots of opportunities to learn and grow in my career. I've gained new technical skills while also learning how to contribute to the growth of the business all while helping clients solve difficult problems. Even as CapTech grows the leadership team continues to values each individual and that makes CapTech continue to feel like a small company.

Cons

The performance management process is different from other consulting firms. No up or out mentality and compensation is not tied directly to promotion. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if you are looking for a typical consulting organization eval and promotion process you are not going to find it here.

The geographic growth of the company has the potential to change the culture and the focus on working where you live. I encourage leadership to play close attention to this to prevent CapTech from becoming just another consulting firm.

Great company to start with or join mid-career! CapTech really cares about their customers and it shows each day.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at CapTech

Pros

Great work/life balance, very rare to be able to do consulting work but not have to travel on a weekly basis. The company truly cares about their customers and the culture exists from top to bottom.

Cons

There are inherent drawback in work/career opportunities by staying local.

Great beginnings; not a great opportunity today

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at CapTech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great experience for just starting out of school or growing an early career. Decent technology experience for a largely staff augmentation focused firm. Some of the great, original technical consultants (though not many) to learn from.

Cons

Many long hours and poor work-life balance - where you don't exactly share in the benefits received from the long hours. Unfortunately, the company is top-heavy so needs to grow out its base. That means promotion and career growth opportunities are limited. Leadership launches programs to foster technical leaders --- mostly because they don't at their true roots. Technical consultants are resources to be sold and work-horses to extend engagements until they grow into large, staff augmentation contracts where lower-cost analysts can be sold by the droves.

The cliquey culture and ear-marking consultants (most from the outside from companies like Accenture) for an accelerated promotion cycle is easier to handle when you cop to it. Leadership is running a life-style business and most are checked out at this stage.

6. CapTech is a very professional and mature company that promotes employee success.

Current Employee - Consultant in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CapTech full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Listens to employees
    Reviews benefit information and fully equips employees with all required knowledge
    Very competitive salary
    Healthy cash flow
    Generous (but not overly so) with employee expenses, including travel, certifications, meals, etc.
    Intelligent colleagues and generous internal project support

Cons

Dominated by white males (Note: the company has a very healthy diversity policy but has trouble attracting minorities. If you are reading this and you are a minority, please do not be discouraged! This is a simple fact: CapTech is just full of white men).
    Some consultants are not as competent as others and get away with doing lower quality work.

Continue to grow intentionally and controlled. Don't be afraid to fire new consultants who are not performant.

7. Great consulting career

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at CapTech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, rewarding work, good compensation & benefits, continuous growth, geographic diversity

Cons

No specific cons to mention

All the best are leaving

I worked at CapTech (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some interesting projects, but that's about it. Not much else to really say that is positive. Some smart people that you learn from

Cons

Best people are leaving for better pay and management, poor work life balance, expects a lot of work on top of 40 billable hours. Review process is subjective, pay is under market

Great place to work

Former Employee - Java Developer in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Java Developer in Richmond, VA

I worked at CapTech full-time (more than a year)

Pros

CapTech management is incredible and the company works with big name clients. They want to make sure that you're happy and doing well on a client site. Pay and benefits are great and they aren't afraid to recognize someone for good accomplishments. Show that you're motivated and work hard and you'll get rewarded.

Cons

I spent all of my time at CapTech working at one client site. After a while it felt weird saying I worked at CapTech because I barely knew any of the people I met at any work sponsored happy hours or holiday parties. In fact when I was leaving someone mentioned that they thought i was a "flight risk" (just not to the company I went to).
    The company tries to make people feel a part of the CapTech family but I think there's room for improvement here.

One on One meetings are great every few months, but every few weeks would be better.

Great internship program centered around a web development project that exposes you to the entire project lifecycle.

Former Intern - Software Developer Consultant in Richmond, VA
    Former Intern - Software Developer Consultant in Richmond, VA

I worked at CapTech as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

They pay well and you get to work with a bunch of awesome people. The project you work on provides you the opportunity to gain web development experience that is very relevant in the work place and that many university computer science programs neglect.

Cons

Your options in terms of where to live are limited to the East Coast. CapTech has offices in Richmond, D.C., Charlotte, and Philadelphia.

I encourage them to fight to keep the small company culture even as CapTech grows. They are great at making each employee feel like they have a voice and contact with upper management. This will be challenging to uphold as the company grows but it is such a big part of what makes it such an awesome company to work for.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at CapTech full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They don't kill their people. The lifestyle balance really means something here. They really care about their people.

Cons

Compensation isn't the best for top consulting firms, but that's the tradeoff you make. You travel a lot less with CapTech. So if that's important this is the place to be!