CapTel Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
130 reviews filtered by
2.8
Robert Engelke

Pros
  • Casual dress code (I've seen people show up in pajamas) (in 21 reviews)

• Flexible scheduling, good for people who aren't social, health benefits for full time employees (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The voice recognition program is EXTREMELY flawed (in 9 reviews)

• have to work at least one weekend shift every week (in 4 reviews)

1. Only in training phase. It is really fast-paced. Not easily grasped but not hard either.

Current Employee - CapTel Outreach Specialist in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - CapTel Outreach Specialist in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at CapTel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are a student, you can study in between calls; you don't have to worry about customer service; and they offer flexible work shifts. Also, you are rewarded for being punctual.

Cons

There is a point system that they follow; it can make or break you.

2. Captioning Assistant

Current Employee - Captioning Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at CapTel

Pros

Flexible, no dress code, pretty easy work, laid back atmosphere

Cons

Working alone all day is rough sometimes

None

3. This is company that treats their employees like numbers.

Former Employee - Captioning Assistant in Orlando, FL

I worked at CapTel part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great for college students because of the late hours of operation. They were very flexible with schedule in the beginning. Most of the supervisors are really nice.

Cons

Very strict rules, easy to get written up, they schedule employees around the hours of the new employees that come into the company, HR and scheduling are not on the same page. One of the biggest cons is they hire ANYONE.

Policies need to be revised and they should make an effort to keep their better employees.

5. Not bad

Current Employee - Captioning Assistant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Captioning Assistant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at CapTel part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get to
    easy work
    like crazy easy, sit all day, and you get paid decently

Cons

really easy to get policy violations
    boring as heck so I don't think it would work long term

6. Captioning Assistant/Captioning Coach

I worked at CapTel

Pros

You don't have to deal with actual customers. If you like to keep to yourself this job is great for you. You could read in between calls.

Cons

It is very boring. At first it's kind of difficult to do all the multi-tasking but you get use to it. The environment consists of a bunch of anti-socials.

Captioning Assistant

Former Employee - Captioning Assistant in Orlando, FL

I worked at CapTel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people are absolutely great. The pay is on time. Plenty of hours to pick up. Overtime usually approved.

Cons

Training is fun because you are around people and learning classmates. But once on the call floor, seeing anyone you know is seldom and so is sanity at points. The job description entails repeating on end of a phone call. If you can brave repeating any and everything a customer says within seconds, for 8 hours and not repeat the radio on the way home, then this position should be great for you

If shadowing in training were allowed, many more captioning assistants would learn by example versus trial and error.

8. Not the worst job in the world.

Current Employee - Captioning Assistant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Captioning Assistant in Madison, WI

I have been working at CapTel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Consistent scheduling, not hard job, start pay is above minimum wage, no pressure to talk to people if that's what you're looking for.

Cons

Little to no human interaction on your shift. Mind-numbing task, day in and day out. Would not recommend this job full-time if you have depression or any other mental illness - you will honestly be so unhappy...

9. At this job there were good days and bad days. You don't get any social time, you're stuck in a cube all day captioning

Current Employee - Captioning Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at CapTel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Getting to leave early if needed.

Cons

Low pay, no social time, EVERYTHING you do is counted against you.

Need to be more considerate for people and their personal life. If someone is late, give them a warning not a policy violation, things happen and its sometimes not their fault !

10. Good Part-Time Experience

Former Employee - Captioning Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at CapTel part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great employer for students, retirees, and anyone looking to supplement their full-time income. They are extremely flexible and you basically create your own schedule. The pay is very good compared to retail and you can earn raises quickly. It's a very casual environment. They do offer full-time employment as well.

Cons

There are lots of small rules, which seem like they'd help make the place very organized, but they don't. They can be confusing to keep up with and annoying to deal with. Cleanliness is an issue. Content of phone calls you are captioning may be offensive or calls may be extremely long.

11. A decent job

Former Employee - Captioning Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at CapTel part-time (less than a year)

Pros

CapTel was my first job and I actually really liked it. The pay was way better than I'd get at McDonald's or something like that. They gave me the exact hours I needed. Most supervisors were friendly and easy to talk to. The downtime was nice because I could read or crochet or do homework. It was a really easy job for the money I was making. The no dress code thing was my favorite though because I didn't have to buy any new clothes and I didn't have to take out my piercings.

Cons

Attendance policy is a little to strict for new employees. I understand why they do it but it's just irritating. It got boring after a while. The chairs were kind of uncomfortable and some of the desks sucked. The elevators were absolutely horrible, though. Always getting stuck and stuff. The parking also irritated me. Walking that four blocks in the freezing cold was terrible. The computer software is pretty out of date and freezes up sometimes, or just kicks you out of the program. Which stinks.

Work with people about their attendance. Get nicer chairs. Fix the elevators. Although that's probably the buildings fault, not CapTel's.

CapTel Photos