Capco Reviews

Updated September 9, 2014
2.9

Capco CEO Rob Heyvaert
Rob Heyvaert

Pros
  • Good knowledgeable colleagues to work with from whom one can learn a lot (in 6 reviews)

• Easy access to senior people who you can learn a lot from (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • This is all they want to do in the future so if you join now do not expect management consulting (in 10 reviews)

• Doesn't have the infrastructure of a big consulting firm (which is also a plus) (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good working environment

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company invest in employees education.
    Management is very supportive and reachable.
    Diverse and international environment.
    Options for relocation.
    Vacation days- European style

Cons

Compensation & Benefits are below market value
    Long hours- including weekends
    100% Traveling- most of the time you spend on clients site.

In order to keep good people you need to be competitive

Great Leadership

Former Employee - Managing Principal  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Principal in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time for more than a year

Pros

I liked working for Capco because the leadership team was hands on and were easy to speak with and discuss ideas and issues. The team members were a great group of individuals and were good to work with. Projects were large and provided opportunities for all levels of staff to grow.

Cons

Bonus program was an issue as the firm only gave a percentage each year of the annual bonus earned.

Consider staff growth, titles, and compensation as compared to competitors so staff better understand how they compare/contrast to other firms.

A great place to work

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are new to consulting or a seasoned professional, Capco offers a unique experience. They are entrepreneurial, meritocratic and have very flat organization. You don't run into the traditional roadblocks of burdensome process and lots of approvals. If you have good skills in working across an organization, you will enjoy working at Capco.

Cons

If you are not a self-starter, you may struggle with navigating your career options.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Undignifed for Associates; promotion statistically improbable

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than a year

Pros

For the first week or two you'll believe you actually landed a career.

Cons

Why does Capco have ~2.9 rating on Glassdoor, whereas all it's competitors are 3.5+? How much can a measly 0.6 points really count for?

Answer: a ton.

Plenty of other people have written about this firm's laughable approach to running a "consultancy", albeit one that is in reality nothing more than a high-priced bodyshop for industry rejects at bargain prices. I want to comment specifically on the complete lack of meritocracy for Associates in this company; Associate being the entry-level position at Capco.

If you are not among a select few Associates, you will never be promoted. The Associate Talent Program is a revolving door that has only promoted %30 of its attendees, many of whom have left soon afterwards. Associate promotion is biased, backward, and blatantly political. I've seen AOs with nearly %100 billability and tons of accolades get held back for "personal" issues, while three-month old Associates get promoted for going to a few happy hours and dressing nicely. It's killing the firm, and the rot starts at the bottom up.

Please, please if you are considering taking an offer for an Associate position here, realize you're signing up to be used and then let go. Unless you are pre-selected by management when you first join, you will never be promoted. None of you accomplishments will matter, and no matter how much money you make the firm you will never see any of it back. You are essentially taking a 2/3 odds wager that your career will be hobbled by working for this bodyshop full of partners kicked out of respectable firms. I myself am leaving the firm in a few weeks to greener pastures and couldn't be happier, but I'll never get back all the lost time, income, and knowledge I could have obtained at a different, better, more professional firm.

Joining Capco as an Associate has tremendous and (60% of the time) terrible opportunity costs.

If perception is reality, I perceive that this firm's treatment of its youngest employees is downright disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourselves for doing this to young people, many of whom trust you to guide their nascent career honestly and with care. No wonder attrition is so high; expect to see plenty of people quit before you ultimately sell all equity to FiS next year.

a lot of opportunities to learn

I have been working at Capco

Pros

great environment, free snack, easy to access management

Cons

long hour, projects can be boring sometimes

Awful Associate experience

Former Employee - Associate Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can apply to other jobs while at work.

Cons

I simply wanted to confirm what the other reviewer said in "Undignified for associates". Every word is true.

I was an Associate at Capco from late 2012 to mid-2014. The things I saw there were shocking, but by far the worst was the treatment of Associates by partners; they are absolutely abusive towards these entry-level hires. The entire structure of the Associate Talent Program is run by politically-motivated partners who delight in playing games with people's careers, holding them back from promotion simply because they don't like them. It is biased, wrong, and completely pathetic.

I saw many of the same things the other reviewer witnessed while I was employed there. Associates who were preselected by management would shoot up the company ladder, making more money, gaining new responsibilities, etc. Those who were not - no matter how hard they worked - were never promoted; all they got was a "Maybe next time" from the partners. There never is a "next time" for these people; they are eventually let go. Politics is all that matters; work accomplishments, a happy client - these things are of no consequence at Capco.

Because conditions are so horrible for Associates here, you are constantly encouraged by management to refer your friends, your family, even random acquaintances for their "Talent Program". This is when I began to wonder if I was working for a scheme instead of a "management consultancy"; I felt pressured to suck people into an opportunity I knew was sub-par in every way.

Please know that if you are taking an Associate offer here, you WILL be abused by upper management and made the plaything of the partners. They do not care in the slightest about your career progression, and love to see you squirm as they repeatedly talk down to you or send you passive-aggressive emails.

I would never recommend Capco, the bodyshop, to anyone, but especially not Associates.

The way you treat your most junior members says a lot about your firm. Get rid of the managers and partners in charge of the Associates/ATP; they are cruel, mean-spirited, and outright damaging to these young peoples' careers. Nothing is more pathetic than seeing a grown adult man/woman from upper management berating and talking down to an experienced new hire, and then passing them over for a promotion just because they can. This is a very dangerous way to run a business.

Downright disgusting

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than a year

Pros

None except for a paycheck. I don't know what else to write to make the 20 word minimum limit

Cons

They say the way you judge a country is the way it treats it's poor, young and needy. This firm does so much harm to not only the junior associates,as mentioned in reviews, they are downright horrible to everyone including immigrants. The partners and most of the managers are to blame whose only qualification is a big gut and an even massive ego. They have no skills and the unbelievable lies you hear from them when you first join them is out of the world.

Stop the BS and make changes. Don't wait for the next recession for some serious cleanup. You won't survive another recession. Hire some more women to balance out the ego from the men.

Incubator for going nowhere fast with your career

I have been working at Capco

Pros

Paycheck twice a month. Lots of free food and drinks. There are some really nice people.

Cons

No career growth or professional development. No coaching. Poor mentoring. Training classes are created by employees that put together powerpoint presentations which then get branded as "classroom training" by the firm. The career development of employees is not taken seriously. It is too much of a BBC (british boys club) fraternity where rating systems are actually more similar to a popularity contest. Most of the roles are staff augmentation oriented - this is not management consulting. It's not even consulting or advisory. Most opportunities are based on filling a previously fixed cost headcount with a more tax friendly variable cost role for the client while focusing on outsourcing such roles to India for the client.

You treat the firm like rich parents who don't particularly care about their children nor the commitment it takes to raise them properly. You just hand out money or "candy" to kids in an attempt to keep people happy. You don't really seem to care about anyone or their career development. Owning your own career doesn't mean sticking around the office to latch onto senior leaders in order to just show your face and doing some google research for them,. Additionally, if you were truly Big 4 talent, you would still be at a Big 4 firm rather than a low cost alternative that is flooding the financial services market with staff augmentation roles.

Career Killer!!!

I worked at Capco

Pros

Elevated self esteem after realizing you're working with bottom of the barrel peers and management.
    2 paychecks a month
    Free fruit and beverages
    Work life balance is awesome bc the work is beyond easy.

Cons

Gaping hole on your resume bc there's no career development.
    Extremely high turnover
    99.9% Body shopping/Staff Augmentation
    Rampant lying by management/partners
    Below market pay packages
    Bonuses are a slap in the face.

Firms are graded by its leaders and you get a big fat F! The lying is disgusting and you should be ashamed.

An opportunity to be part of a growing, thriving entrepreneurial organization with Big-4 pedigree

Current Employee - Principal Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The leadership and management heavily comprise ex-Big4 team members
    - Capco provides an environment that resembles a consultancy like Accenture or Deloitte but without the constraints that these organizations have; if you have a good idea then you'll get the backing to succeed.
    - Opportunity to focus deeply on
    - Flat leadership structure with approachable, supportive partners
    - Many experts with deep domain acumen in Financial Services, recruited from FS organizations directly
    - Small and nimble e.g. New York office has been able to make and realize the benefits of investments in digital much more quickly than similar organizations

Cons

- An entrepreneurial environment is not going to be for you if you are used to sitting back and waiting for opportunities to come for you, many come from industry (as opposed to consulting) and do not appreciate the need to manage your own career
    - While they aim for a 50:50 blend of FS acumen to consulting skills, many resources have come straight from industry and require investment of time from consultants to round them out, so coaching becomes very important
    - Being small and young requires pivoting; propositions and methodologies aren't always fully formed as they would be in a larger organization. On the flip-side, you get to create them
    - Demand and growth is strong (>30% yoy), which means that resource constraints is a continuing challenge especially as Capco has high standards in the recruitment process

- The balance between being nimble and having an industrialized delivery machine is one that needs to be constantly attenuated
    - We need to be more vocal about how we are differentiated by the background and deep FS expertise of our staff
    - We need to be louder about our brand

Capco Response

Sep 2, 2014

Thanks for your thoughtful response. It is an exciting time at Capco, as we are growing significantly, and continually looking for ways to innovate and provide more opportunities for our people and ... More

Worked for Capco? Contribute to the Community!