Capco

Capco Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Capco CEO Rob Heyvaert

Rob Heyvaert

Pros
  • Good knowledgeable colleagues to work with from whom one can learn a lot(in 6 reviews)

• Easy access to senior people who you can learn a lot from(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Doesn't have the infrastructure of a big consulting firm (which is also a plus)(in 8 reviews)

• Corporate direction changed drastically in 2013 with their first "changesourcing" branded staff augmentation project(in 8 reviews)

An opportunity to be part of a growing, thriving entrepreneurial organization with Big-4 pedigree

Principal Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- The leadership and management heavily comprise ex-Big4 team members
    - Capco provides an environment that resembles a consultancy like Accenture or Deloitte but without the constraints that these organizations have; if you have a good idea then you'll get the backing to succeed.
    - Opportunity to focus deeply on
    - Flat leadership structure with approachable, supportive partners
    - Many experts with deep domain acumen in Financial Services, recruited from FS organizations directly
    - Small and nimble e.g. New York office has been able to make and realize the benefits of investments in digital much more quickly than similar organizations

Cons- An entrepreneurial environment is not going to be for you if you are used to sitting back and waiting for opportunities to come for you, many come from industry (as opposed to consulting) and do not appreciate the need to manage your own career
    - While they aim for a 50:50 blend of FS acumen to consulting skills, many resources have come straight from industry and require investment of time from consultants to round them out, so coaching becomes very important
    - Being small and young requires pivoting; propositions and methodologies aren't always fully formed as they would be in a larger organization. On the flip-side, you get to create them
    - Demand and growth is strong (>30% yoy), which means that resource constraints is a continuing challenge especially as Capco has high standards in the recruitment process

Advice to Senior Management- The balance between being nimble and having an industrialized delivery machine is one that needs to be constantly attenuated
    - We need to be more vocal about how we are differentiated by the background and deep FS expertise of our staff
    - We need to be louder about our brand

Control your destiny

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros+ The NY office is still relatively 'small' and you have as much access to senior leadership and opportunity to expand your network as you can handle.
    + Concierge services are a little cheesy but it's nice to have support for busy professionals.
    + Interesting projects can and do exist; but you have to fight for them.

Cons- It's still a job; you are getting paid for a reason.
    - Outsourced services mean it can be difficult to sort of employee benefits and paperwork
    - Expense system is being re-vamped but it's currently a hassle if you travel a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be open and communicative to all levels of talent. The negative reviews out there aren't entirely specific to Capco, but more to consulting in the FS space overall.

Growing rapidly, lots of opportunities

Managing Principal (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsA very social company, lots of energy. The management seem to make a lot of effort to communicate with the people, lots of opportunities for promotions and career advancement. Good tools are provided such as top end laptops, cells etc

ConsHours can be long on some projects and getting down-time can be a challenge. Very focused in New York and DC so its hard if you are not located there

Advice to Senior ManagementMakes sure that you do not compromise the quality of the people as you grow so quickly

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sick, toxic work environment shot through with dishonesty

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis company has great fiction writers who keep posting rave reviews for this horrible organization. At one point Capco had some integrity but the current leadership mostly from Accenture is foul, and the dregs of the UK firm and their unemployed relatives have been shuffled over to the US and Canadian business.

Constoo long a list. Truly awful leaders out for themselves and willing to sell out employees for personal gain, colleagues who are regularly promoted because they are good at sucking up and not much more, very little true expertise in the FS industry although they make it sound like they are world-beaters, no investment in people except for parties and some free fruit and water at the office you almost never go to. Most of what you hear from Partners and HR are lies from the first moment they begin recruiting. Once you are inside, you find out it's a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry telling the truth. Or give up and let this sinking ship go down before you ruin more peoples careers. Stop talking trash about your own staff -- your comments about people's physical appearance and other degrading observations are not a secret.

Toxic environment with insanely high turnover; one word of advice: RUN!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRegular paycheck to avoid unemployment
    Free snacks/beverages in the NY office

ConsUnethical practices and disgusting behavior of senior leadership
    Useless policies that are constantly being ignored, due to favoritism (i.e. greencard sponsorship)
    Revolving door of talent, only those who play into the politics will get recognition or promotion
    Revenue is not from real consulting engagements, but rather, large-scale outsourcing deals
    High concentration of work at GSEs, mainly in dead-end PMO roles
    Forced vacation use during holiday periods, when not already staffed on a billable project
    Partners are not top-caliber or highly-respected, most are likely just waiting for FIS payout

Advice to Senior ManagementStop calling yourselves a "management consulting firm, focused in financial services" - because in reality, the company is just doing staff augmentation all over the place. Absorbing a bunch of employees from banks in large-scale outsourcing deals, and then slapping a "consultant" label on those individuals, is not a good business model. It will also never enable you to achieve your goal of attracting talent from top-tier firms, because guess what? Real management consultants have NO interest in doing back-office operations or IT support for years on end; if they wanted to do that, they could get those jobs on their own. Also, you have a reputation for being a "hire/fire" type of organization - so what rational individual would eagerly go to work for your firm, knowing there's a good chance he/she could be fired as soon as the work dries up? As others have said, stop lying to yourselves and stop lying to employees/recruits - you have devolved into a staffing agency, and you don't sell interesting work. Just let the firm get swallowed up by FIS, and close up shop.

Bottom of the Barrel Staffing Agency

ProsBachelor's Degree and a heartbeat? You're hired!!!

ConsA firm is judged by its management and talent level and Capco fails on both accounts.

Management is a revolving door of old men from various defunct "consultancies". Once the well aka Rolodex dries up, they move on; turnover is extremely high at this body shop.

Talent level is disgusting and anyone off the street with a bachelor's degree can work for the company. Remember, the business model is get them in cheap and sell them out high.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're still holding onto the memories of actually doing consulting work for your clients. Now, your clients are big financial firms looking to hire you to off shore employees so stop lying to current and prospective employees.

It's a trap

ProsPaycheck
    Gap filler in resume
    Slightly better than unemployment
    No work or anything interesting to do apart from daydream

ConsA very political and horrible environment to work for where all you have to do is watch your hard skills acquired over many years just drain away in these useless projects doing nothing, get billed premium and get barely any of that in your paycheck. The partners pockets most of that profit and you barely make any bonuses, if any. Other amount is spent on overly crowded operations and HR team who are an underestimate to the word-overhead. The rest is spent on parties that no one wants to go cause you are expected to drink heavily and suck up to everyone. Lot of favoritism and bullying from managers, HR, resourcing and pretty much even your juniors who seem to have a good "connection". This place stinks worse than the subways on a hot summer day. Don't make the mistake and fall for the fancy office and "knowledgeably" colleagues. It's all scripted and a trap. Beware

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect. Several good people have left. Don't lose the ones that are remaining and have been with you for several years. Your not the only consulting firm.

CAPCO . . .

ProsVery ambitious HR that posts overzealous reviews. See any of the 5 star reviews and you will see a picture painted by Van Gogh, only to realize you've been looking at a fake.

ConsA glorified staffing agency for back-office work. If considering a job offer, I highly suggest looking elsewhere and this is sincere advice.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange begins with hiring and firing.

Great place to work

Managing Principal (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsHas won numerous Best place to work awards and its clear why. Its fun. What other consulting firm has such a fun dynamic office right in heart of NY.

Constough hours and need to be nimble on feet to move from opportunity to opportunity but the pace is so excting

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on building more management consulting work

Join the ride!

Managing Principal (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSimply put, Capco is a great place to start and grow a consulting career with a multi-service line firm. We work very closely with our clients to deliver bottom-line results and innovative solutions. Few, if any, other firms have the capability or depth of experience in financial services that Capco offers. The company is uniquely positioned firm in that it offers end-to-end transformation services solely to the Financial Services industry. This means that there are a number of opportunities to get involved and to take leadership positions earlier in one’s career than other firms offer. Moreover, it’s an indicator of the meritocratic culture that emphasizes innovation and on-the-job performance as the primary factors to career growth. This is a stark contrast to the lock and step models used by other firms. The meritocracy may not be for everyone, especially those who are not flexible enough to wear multiple hats required to be a successful consultant. My experience, as well as most everyone else I talk with, is that this it’s a great experience to be part of a growing, innovative firm instead of being just another number at one of the large consultancies whose promises go undelivered. The education, vacation, and live anywhere policy are top notch.

ConsAs we grow, we need to ensure that we are as equally as focused on brand awareness and building out the required support services.

Advice to Senior ManagementMarket the brand!

Worked for Capco? Contribute to the Community!