Capco

Updated March 1, 2015
3.4

Capco CEO Rob Heyvaert
Rob Heyvaert

Pros
  • Work life balance is pretty dependent on client, I saw both sides of that (in 8 reviews)

• Good knowledgeable colleagues to work with from whom one can learn a lot (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Glorified body shop that does staff augmentation work (in 13 reviews)

• You time off/ work life balance is the lowest priority (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

The energy is contagious!

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

The old saying, you get out of it what you put into it is absolutely true. After being "sold" to Capco last year I had to start over with a new company. I've had more praise, recognition, awards and opportunities in the past year than I had in the last 5 years at my previous company. The ability to get involved in areas that interest you is a great motivator and gives me the boost in my career that I didn't even realize was lacking.

I've seen first hand, the integrity of the Partners who have backed up employees against unrealistic expectations from a client.

Medical insurance policies offered come with a zero deductible.

Cons

If you struggle with networking, you will have a challenge.

There is a great deal of growth right now and at times it will seem disorganized. If you have little patience or require more rigor and structure, it might not be the right place for you. You will need to be more agile.

Consider a re-leveling plan for employees who have been acquired after 6-12 months.

Very loyal and open to ideas, though contribution can be overlooked

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Capco has been very good to my family and myself. If you are interested in a raise or see it as a necessity for you and your family, they will listen. Also, they are open to move you onto different projects if you request it and gain project leadership support. There are a lot of opportunities to show your strengths and contribute.

Cons

You have to be willing to SPEAK UP because your message or ideas can be crowded by the constant change and growth capco is experiencing. The action falls to you to promote your ideas and get yourself recognized for your accomplishments.

Start educating employees on how to access those below them and provide better performance feedback.

Good people

Current Employee - Principal Consultant
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant

I have been working at Capco

Pros

Smart caring people doing good work.

Cons

Don't always walk the talk, no work-life balance -- but they try. Not all work is interesting.

Not all top leaders fit the culture... Take a good, hard look.

You get what you are

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small company culture with the reduced risk of being owned by a big company. Meritocracy, not for everyone. Its easy to get recognized and feel like you make a difference in the company. The Partners, including the CEO is easily accessible and actually respond to requests and suggestions.

Cons

Inconsistency of project tasks. Assigned roles not aligned to qualifications. Because its so easy to get recognition in this small company, the poor performers can get promoted based on who knows them, simply because they spend less time working and more time planning events.
    High turnover.

Don't make upward feedback optional. The poor performers will never ask for feedback. Give some more training to new hires who are not from a banking background or not from a consulting background a few weeks of training before sending them to a project.

Culture Culture Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

Company that truly cares for its culture. The boutique/start up feel still exists while vastly expanding its clientele and project list. Constant effort to make individuals feel as lego block with events such as REF, where entire NA was flown out to Puerto Rico for a gathering. Intellectual seniors that are easily accessible for juniors. Lots of learning to be done, and a great company to work for out of college or grade to obtain experience.

Cons

Teams and roles differ drastically depending on projects. In one, I felt as though Capco's culture came through along with the level of expertise, while in another, the tasks and environment felt completely opposite. Expect accenture style - changesourcing, pmo, etc.

Be honest with what Capco is offering, and instead of hitting them blindly with the work, leverage that information to benefit the company as well as the individuals to feel more involved with the big picture. (i.e. adapt the ATP/consulting 101/ etc with what Capco is trying to achieve).

Good place to start, not to grow

I worked at Capco

Pros

1. Young work environment
    2. Partners are friendly
    3. Great mentor-ship availability
    4. Work-life balance is amazing

Cons

1. Consulting work is mainly staff augmentation/change sourcing
    2. Leaders do not want to give out too many promotions due to fear of staff leaving after
    3. No ability to pick the projects you want, it is where the business needs you
    4. Once you reach Principal Consultant and above it becomes hard to be billed so job security is in question

Great company to work for, fair compensation, challenging environment that rewards performance, great coaching structure

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Capco

Pros

Personal growth related to training, open leadership and communication, great vacation, sick, paternity policies, work life balance

Cons

Single industry focus, resource modelling is complicated and time consuming,

Keep doing what you are doing, especially around building the retention policies, career growth for non-partner level positions

Great company, if you land on a good project

I have been working at Capco

Pros

Capco itself has a very entrepreneurial, encouraging culture, and is expanding very quickly. When it comes to team building, Capco feels like a start-up more than a Financial Services company.

Cons

Depending on the individual's luck, the projects that you get assigned on are not necessary exciting or any rewarding. Additionally, you have almost zero influence on which project you will go on when you are new.

Opportunity to grow!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (less than a year)

Pros

--The people I work with are amazing. Smart, motivated, and willing to work together.
    --Opportunities grow on trees. Free training and 10k/ year to spend in education
    --Senior leadership is generally pretty approachable.

Cons

you are required to put in hours outside your project work on "firm activities." It can feel like a lot, and it can feel like a distraction from client work at times.

Inspired like I have never been in my career

Current Employee - Managing Principal in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Managing Principal in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Capco has just hosted their first annual Regional Employee Forum. We had three days of the most inspirational leadership, guest speakers, and amazing colleagues. And it was all fun - a non-stop amazing time from start to finish.

Cons

Working for Capco comes with the highest possible expectations - you'll find yourself more driven than ever. If you want to take it easy at work, this is not the right place for you.

People want to win and succeed for you - keep stoking the fire that you re-started at the Regional Employee Forum!