Capco

Updated December 21, 2014
3.1

Capco CEO Rob Heyvaert
Rob Heyvaert

Pros
  • Work life balance is pretty dependent on client, I saw both sides of that (in 8 reviews)

• Good knowledgeable colleagues to work with from whom one can learn a lot (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Glorified body shop that does staff augmentation work (in 13 reviews)

• You time off/ work life balance is the lowest priority (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Very nice company to work for and I am very satisfied! I have a Career at this company.

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My company has alllowed me to travel abroad to work on Global Financial Projects. I really enjoy the people I work with. Great Benefits and I can honestly say that I have a great work-life balance. I usually travel and I enjoy it. Some people may not enjoy travelling, but that is part of the JOB. I have attended two employee forums in three years. One in London and one in Puerto Rico. It is nice to see where this company is headed.

Cons

I would not call it too much of a downside, but as with any growing company there are some growing pains. No company is perfect, but as long as you work hard and be proactive then there is nothing that an employee cannot overcome. If you want to slack off and be lazy then I am sure any company will seem unpleasant. I am not a huge fan of employee happy hours, and would prefer more of an activity based or sports event as I am not a heavy drinker, but that is just my opinion. Employee performance reviews need to be overhauled, and I am sure they are looking into this.

Be the voice of the employees. Admit mistakes when they are made, and continue to grow. Management needs to realize there is alot of untapped talent at this company.

Take ownership of your own career

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture, Meritocracy, Collaborative Environment, People

I have been with Capco within the Technology practice for almost a year and I have no plans on leaving any time soon. It is refreshing to work with a consulting firm that throws the bureaucracy to the wayside in order to provide quality solutions to their client base. At other firms, junior to mid level consultants often get forgotten about. At Capco, you are going to get back just as much as you put in. Also, if you have problems or concerns, there is always somebody that will hear you out and provide an unbiased opinion. I have also seen an uncanny level of flexibility given to consultants that want to broaden their career experience. If there is a vacancy on a project and you have interest in participating you are more than encouraged to do so.

Cons

Work/life balance will take a hit from time to time, but this is management consulting. I do not know many firms where this will be any different.

Continue to promote from within and make sure that the junior to mid level employees continue to be heard. Their ideas and success stories are the future of the company.

Great place for a young employee looking to build their resume and their professional network

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Did some industry relevant work at two tier 1 clients over the course of about 2 years. Met some great people who cared both about me personally and professionally. Enjoyed working for a company with peers rather than being stuck in industry reporting to my elders. Received my first professional promotion, didn't have to leave the company to get a promotion. Work life balance is pretty dependent on client, I saw both sides of that. Was staffed on one of the Change Source projects, and found it to be pretty interesting work. Was reporting to head of project management at a tier 1 bank and had the ear of multiple SVP's in the same role. Can't speak to the Change Sourcing deals at the other client sites, but my experience was positive. If nothing else, I'm far more marketable now than I was back when I joined. For someone a couple years out of school, with entry level experience, and no idea what you want to do... joining Capco can be a fairly lucrative career move. BUT...

Cons

It was not a lucrative while I was there. Standard rate for incoming Associates is decent for an entry level role, unfortunately, the carrot dangled in front of the associates is the promotion to Consultant. Which, in my experience was still not lucrative enough for the effort and passion an invested employee puts in both at the client site and internally at Capco. As read above, was my first real promotion, and I was grateful for it, but it was not enough to keep me from listening to other offers. I said while I was at Capco, I was 75-85% satisfied at any given point in time with the company, but out of that 15-25% dissatisfaction, 90% of my dissatisfaction was financial.
    I felt borderline encouraged to go out to the market to find my "market value". As an employee, I didn't like taking recruiter calls, didn't like interviewing with other firms after work days, but I always felt like I should (at least 2-3 times a year). One doesn't feel loyal in that scenario, and you start focusing on things outside of work, rather than what should be your number 1 priority. Situation drained me, know my peers face the same struggle. SO...

Pay for the talent you don't want to lose, basically DON'T let it get to the point where you're forced to match other offers (you probably can't given your rigid promotion cycle). Increase the starting salary of promoted CO's so they aren't forced to go to market to find their value. For a company who prides itself on being a "meritocracy" (which I don't necessarily disagree with) you're "hamstrung" by your own internal structures. When I went out to market, and found my market value, I found my market value to be close to 50% higher than what was assigned to me at my CO promotion.
    Bottomline:
    No job is perfect, no company is perfect, I enjoyed my time, and made some great friends... more bitter I had to leave than anything else. I acquired skill-sets that got me my next title and a 50% raise, for that I'll always be appreciative.
    The overall rating of Capco is definitely lower than it should be, I'm guessing the people who gave poor ratings weren't very good at what they did.

Your future is yours to drive.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

- Engaged, future-forward leadership team
    - Top-caliber coworkers
    - Very flat culture - interacting with a partner is no different than with an associate

Cons

- Sometimes the message from leadership doesn't get filtered down to engagement leaders

- Stress where we want to be as a company and how we can get there. You're willing to support it, but people aren't necessarily willing to pursue without a little prodding

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The interview process was very quick and efficient. I have been with Capco for just under a year now and the work environment is great. There is high visibility with management and hard work does not go unnoticed.

Cons

I have not had any negative experiences to this point.

Allowed Me to Change my Career as my Needs Changed

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Capco for 5 years! That is a long time. Capco has been flexible with me as my needs changed. Here is my story.

First situation: I needed to cut back on my travel with the birth of my first child (2010). I started prepping for this in 2009 (got pregnant after one month with Capco) and found a practice area where I was still client facing, but travel only required about once per month. Perfect! During this pregnancy I told my partner I didn't want to travel after Feb 1 (6 months pregnant) and she accommodated me by allowing me to work remotely. I also took 9 months off with my child before returning to work. The week before returning to work, I found out that I had to have semi emergency surgery. So I needed to contact my partners the week between Christmas & New Years and let them know that I couldn't come back for another month. Everyone was very accommodating and understanding.

Second situation: I was pregnant again in late 2011/early 2012. At that time, the partner I was working for left along with the practice area I had been helping to manage. Didn't know if I was going to come back to work since everyone in my office had to travel a lot. After 9 months off (yes I like to take a long maternity leave - time off before baby was born, 13 weeks after was partially paid, then I used vacation and unpaid leave of absence), I got back in contact with HR/partners about coming back. I told them my situation about being unable to travel often with 2 young kids. During the conversations, they also helped me explore other options outside of Capco and offered to be references for me. In the end they helped me find an internal role withing Corporate Services where I work remotely from home and travel once a quarter.

Third situation: I was unhappy with my rating/role from 2013. In early 2014, I talked with my boss about it. Then a new opportunity came up within Corporate Services and he offered it to me. I thought about if I should take it and I did. Now I am very happy with where I am. I am managing a small team and doing challenging work.

While my situation is unique, I think it shows the flexibility of the organization and the good experiences I had. During my time at Capco, I worked closely with 3 partners, but also counted 2 others as mentors.

General perks:
    -I get lots of vacation (27 days), this depends on your level
    -unlimited sick time
    -long maternity leave compared to most companies in US (13 weeks partially paid after child is what I got)

Cons

Being remote, it's hard to be part of the corporate culture

The Black Sheep of Financial Consulting

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of my favorite aspects of Capco is how approachable the leadership (partners / executives) all are. They thoroughly encourage ideas for the betterment of their people and to retain strong performers. For example, one of the schools they offer is "Immersion" which encourages their top performers to pitch ideas from any aspect of life. They will support your idea 100% as long as you show determination and passion.

Salaries are above average for the industry. If you are a performer - the money will follow. Keep in mind this is a growing company that wants to be different than the top 4 firms. If anyone has previously worked for the big 4 - they will be able to tell you how the culture (major buzzword) of Capco thrives to be different.

People are very supportive and collaborative. Normally - the consulting industry is very fragmented and disconnected. However, Capco has done a great job investing in their intranet platform (CIT) to help employees become advocates of the business and stay connected.

The work life balance is great and should you have any type of life changing event - Capco leadership will work directly with you. Classic example is when hurricane sandy hit New York and our home office was shutdown many leaders opened up their own homes to employees without power or needed a safe place to work or even stay.

Cons

Growing pains. That being said, the company is still figuring out which tools best support the business. Their biggest challenge is the fact that they use peoplesoft for time and expense. Also - their on boarding process is enough to deter anyone from re-joining with how many times you have to provide duplicative information. On boarding should be seen like a websites "landing page". If you don't get a good experience immediately - the company might have already lost you.

The mission statement "forming the future of finance" is a bit overused and some of the work they take on contradicts this. However, this is understandable for a small company trying to expand their pipeline. The pipeline for opportunities to work closer to home is not as vast as individuals would prefer. Especially if you came from one of the big 4, which pressures majority of the consulting base to travel to places they would prefer not to.

Many Managing Principals in the business are not good business leaders and sometimes are promoted out of default. There are several Managing Principals i have worked with that don't even know how to open an excel workbook and are glorified e-mail managers. Due to their lack of understanding of how the business operates they push tasks down to lower level consultants further creating more inefficiency in the company.

Majority of these cons are what to be expected as a company in the teenager years is trying to become an adult.

Continue to invest in your people. Give them the building blocks to build better tools. Need to find ways to expand our pipeline for work in areas we want to grow and can retain hungry talented individuals. We opened a delivery center in Orlando - but have seen little to no growth. Why?

Put a campaign into effect to hire "non-banking" employees in the business as leaders and consulting. This will help our Company remain relevant in the industry since the world is changing everyday. Capco needs more minds that think differently than the traditional consultant.

Great opportunities to grow if you get lucky

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to work on topics you are interested in
    Energized work environment
    Good work life balance possible (at the cost of your career)
    Easy access to partner and flat hierarchy

Cons

Job roles that need to be staffed
    Management and leadership
    Lack of direction
    Lack of broader development programs

As honest as it gets:

Details for the pros:
    It is excellent for some people to work in an environment where you can work on any topic that you might be interested in and try to pitch this to partners of the firm and get these ideas to potential clients. Following the recent regional employee forums left a good spirit and energized environment for new employees.
    Depending on the client engagement the work life balance is excellent but to strive in the company the effort needed to get yourself promoted will be a combination of politics and race for attention (sometimes achieved from non consulting efforts - fantasy trading games).
    The access to delivery partners and their ideas is the easiest ever seen so far and it is great working with some of them and achieve great things.
    Many training opportunities.

Details for the cons:
    The job roles that need to be staffed at the moment appear to be focussed outsourcing work and less consulting projects. Many long-term client commitments where people are integrated like internal back-office employees but with higher expectations about the work load and hours.
    Rob's vision is great and he is the most inspiring leader out there. But senior management lacks to put this into action and transport it into the organization. Focus for partners is on large projects and to continue the growth but without real structured, long-term, internal development programs for existing employees. There are many learning and development courses offered in the office but it is hard to figure out what skill set would be required and is worth developing for the future (you just can't do everything). New managers that lack consulting skills are employed and lead teams that cannot get a solid consulting background in this team leadership environment. I have not used any of my expert skill sets on any of my projects and the project managers that I encountered that care, are able to and really want to develop consulting skills for their team members are rare.

Advice:
    Care more about the people, their job roles, their background and what they would like to develop into. Put survey results and feedback into actions. Not much has changed since joining over two years ago and the development stories are still the same. Broad practical examples are missing. Employ more managers that bring consulting skills into the organization and promote these skills. Crowdsourcing ideas only makes sense if there is a broad base of people able to bring them to the client and deliver these ides. Not just managers pursuing the next big project (thing). Be more transparent on what is happening in the organization that everyone can use these approached, with details about these stories and not just the headlines. Create intellectual property and advise the client or create value on all project rather than only on smaller or isolated engagements.

High Visibility

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working at CAPCO has been great! I am currently working on high visibility , interesting projects with tons of responsibility. So far, my projects I have worked on have been extremely interesting and those that will advance my career. The office is absolutely beautiful and state of the art. -- feels very comfortable!

Cons

CAPCO only deals with Financial Services

Good Company Getting Better Every Year

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

Capco has been a great place to work. They practice what they preach in terms of meritocracy; as an Associate I have had ample facetime with partners and upper management. Career growth at Capco lands squarely on the individual. The more you expose yourself to senior leadership, and the more you become involved in the processes, the more successful you will be. IF you are a good employee, you WILL get promoted.

Capco also has a very impressive list of Tier 1, bulge-bracket clients, and if you are a good employee you can choose your projects and career path. Every partner I have had the opportunity to meet has been very impressive and extremely welcoming.

Cons

Every new company has its growing pains. At times, meetings or ideas can feel thrown together and disorganized and the lack of structure that creates so many positives in other areas can sometimes be a negative.