Capco

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014

Capco CEO Rob Heyvaert
Rob Heyvaert

Pros
  • Work life balance is pretty dependent on client, I saw both sides of that (in 8 reviews)

• Good knowledgeable colleagues to work with from whom one can learn a lot (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Glorified body shop that does staff augmentation work (in 13 reviews)

• You time off/ work life balance is the lowest priority (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for!!!!

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Capco is a friendly & open culture with creative and innovative leaders who are quickly growing the business. The office space has great views and open layout, they offer a strong benefits package, offer excellent work and social event . Capco also offers company phone with options, company laptop, and free food and drinks!

Cons

none I can think of at the moment

Great Company--

I have been working at Capco

Pros

Love working at Capco. Everyone that I have met have been great. From the day I got a call to come in for an interview to the day I got an offer was only 1 week! The HR team moves quick and they were very helpful with on-boarding.

Cons

The location is great, but not if you live in Connecticut like I do. Wish the office was in Midtown :(

Good First Job

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Opportunities to work on high profile projects at major financial institutions
    - Direct engagement with Front Office employees
    - Opportunity to hone your excel and powerpoint skills
    - Learn to present to client senior management

Cons

- Internal promotion structure rewards internal projects and partner face time as opposed to effective delivery on the client site.
    - Little opportunity to move around to different projects and not enough diversification of young consultants looking to experience a wide breadth of projects and clients

- focus on implementing a project rotational program where associates do not spend >3 months on any one project for their first two years
    - focus on hiring quality people - do not sacrifice quality for the purposes of getting bodies into the firm

A great company for motivated and talented professionals

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I ended up leaving Capco to change the direction of my career. However, I had a great time during my time at Capco, due to some of the following:

- Compensation
    - Upward Mobility (Promotions are based on talent, not seniority. If you work hard and demonstrate the skills for the next level, you can be promoted, no matter what your tenure or age is.)
    - Leadership (Everyone, including partners are very approachable to anyone. They care about your growth and development and listen to your feedbacks.)
    - Culture/People (Work hard, play hard. Very social, everyone is friendly, with great happy hours, Christmas parties, charity projects, ski trips, etc. I have met some of my closest friends here.)
    - Great benefits (Good healthcare, vacation days, and all the other typical benefits such as 401k match)
    - Flexibility (I requested to have local projects, and they were able to accommodate)
    - Gorgeous Office (Beautiful location in NY, free drinks and snacks, lot of space)

Cons

Some of the downsides I faced while working at Capco included:
    - You can get lost in the shuffle if you don't make an effort to get involved in Capco events
    - You can miss out on some of the networking opportunities if you are in a smaller project or away travelling during town halls, happy hours, etc.

Can't wait to leave... do yourself a favor and think hard before joining!!!

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco (less than an year)

Pros

Good healthcare benefits and salary; on par with other firms

Nice NY office (can't speak to other locations but from what I hear they're VERY different; read: smaller)

Open door policy and some interesting and fun people to work with. Partners generally approachable and trying to do the best for employees

Cons

Projects / projects / projects:
    Literally no projects at this company that require in-depth analysis or critical thinking. Most work happens on a handful of mega-large accounts that resemble nothing more than various levels of staff-augmentation for middle and back office jobs. No matter how much lipstick you're trying to slap on this, it's NOT consulting and never will be, regardless how you're trying to spin this. If you're (like me) thinking you will join a strategy & technology consulting company with traditional projects, please think twice!! You're in for a rude awakening and will likely be working on a large scale project for many many months / years.

Lack of any back office processes / tools / staff:
    No knowledge management system, you're literally starting from scratch when getting on a new project. If you don't know who to ask, you're on your own. Lots of duplicate work and no efficiency
    No central processes and completely overwhelmed HR staff: people are simply trying not to drown in work but this is not the same as actively supporting the needs of the front-office consultants.
    No training to speak of once you're in the door (amazing for consulting firm!!). You're hired for the skills you have, not for your potential or what you could become.

Lack of quality people:
    Growth trajectory of 30% YOY and lack of quality projects / reputation in the market place means HR and recruiting will say anything to get you in the door (see yours truly) and is not discerning when it comes to quality of new hires. You have a pulse, you're almost in. Work happy hours routinely (almost without fail) descend into unprofessional drunken revelry with employees getting out of hand, sick from all the drinking or displaying other unprofessional behavior... I leave the rest to your imagination

Don't pretend you're a consulting firm with consulting-style projects; tell people the truth: You're offering staff augmentation on a large scale for clients. Nothing wrong with that but nothing that you should lie about either. Don't sacrifice quality of people and projects for short-term revenue goals, it will only hurt you in the long run. Stop wasting money on useless company outings / employee forums / happy hours instead of improving your corporate services.

Nothing to recommend this place

I worked at Capco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free water if you are in New York and able to come to the office. My team worked on what was essentially an outsourcing project nearby and were not even able to leave the client site to go to the office because the client considered us their property but without offering the same benefits and pay as to real employees. It was like being in prison.

Cons

See above. Not a consulting company. None of the junior staff got any consulting experience. The more senior people left because we were losing our skills -- it is a "bait and switch" environment where what they say in the recruiting process is the exact opposite of reality.

Tell people what you really do and hire for that work.

Bodyshop 2.0

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Some genuinely great people to work with and hang out with on projects and outside of the office
    - Partners (at least some of them) are trying to be approachable and create a supportive environment
    - Office benefits if you should ever be in the NY office. As other reviewers said fresh fruit, food, coffee abound in addition to some rather ridiculous benefits (massages, etc - what is this, Google?). If not, too bad, no benefits for you, ever
    - Some interesting projects to work on, but this is as likely as winning the lottery

Cons

Where to begin, there are almost too many to list here:

What was once a focused boutique consulting firm with deep expertise has morphed into a worse-run Accenture bodyshop. Kiss goodbye to any challenging and insightful projects, hello bodyshop! You're being sold strategy consulting and innovation while in fact you'll be working on PMO and back office operations projects forever. Little to no room to grow professionally or develop any meaningful industry skills. But not to worry, you're only expected to produce status reports, so as long as you're at Capco you have nothing to worry about. Projects are being managed by throwing bodies at the problem and hoping that something useful will come out of it rather than having a plan.
    Lip service being paid to innovation. Yes there's Digital. No they don't create any cutting-edge solutions in IT or Banking. It's a disguised graphics department that pretends to add value to clients while preparing expensive decks with funkier colors and weird layouts. Nothing that your Kinko's (or 2nd year Art & Design student) couldn't do. It's a gag and a marketing tool, nothing more.
    Training is a non-existent and the company should be ashamed of pretending to have a “Learning and Development” department. Once you’re in, you’ll be expected to attend some cookie-cutter trainings that teach you no industry skills whatsoever. Doesn’t matter though, since you’re only expected to work on back office paper pushing, there’s little training that is needed. Thinking of actually learning about financial services, technology, capital markets, banking, risk? Sure, just attend one of the many training sessions on a Friday afternoon - developed by some mid-level consultants with too much time on the bench - that’ll surely teach you the hard skills required to get ahead in your career!
    Huge turnover at the company as a whole and HR in particular. If your HR departments becomes a revolving door and your consultants jump ship en masse as soon as promotions are announced or the insignificant bonus is paid out, you’ve got issues far deeper than you think
    Try and ask why positive feedback by on this website consists of 5-star reviews clustered within 1 or 2 days of each other while other feedback is more evenly distributed. Random coincidence or concerted drive to vote up the disappointing company ratings? I leave it up to you to decide.

Stop pretending to be something you once were but have long since kissed goodbye in pursuit of long-term projects and unsustainable growth driven by having been acquired by FIS. Stop pretending like you’re doing strategy consulting work while you can barely win projects against Accenture, IBM and Deloitte. Stop wasting money on ridiculous company meetings and happy hours instead of investing in your people, processes, support structure and paying out adequate bonuses at year-end.

Worst work environment, avoid or get out as fast as you can

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Capco

Pros

All other jobs in your career will look good by comparison

Cons

Too numerous to name. Topping the list, poor pay, no development opportunities, soul-sickening leadership and incompetent HR, and a few brown-nose colleagues who spend most of their time chatting up the CEO and his hangers-on and writing positive reviews

Admit this "consultancy" is a sham, please.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stimulating and challenging company that knows how to work as well as how to throw a party. Amazing benefits including gym reimbursement and pet insurance, awesome culture, and stimulating work assignments. Amazingly transparent evaluation of employee performance process.

Cons

Nature of the assignments requires frequent travel and shifting of gears.

Keep doing great work

Principal Consultant

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great place to work, rewards you for hard work.

Cons

lacks clear structure but they are working on this hopefully its resolved