Capella University

Updated October 17, 2014
3.4

Capella University University President Scott Kinney
Scott Kinney

Pros
  • Reasonable work life balance, at least by corporate America standards (in 7 reviews)

• Some employees are given the opportunity to work from home either full time or one or more days a week (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Role of advising transitioned from being an advisor to working in call center (in 5 reviews)

• Benefits are limited and opportunities for full time employment are not often available (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Love the culture, and fast moving innovative approach to Education

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Capella University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance is great here at Capella

Cons

Career advancement can be slow moving

No longer a good place to work, avoid IT, its a bad department

Former Employee - IT Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Capella University part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Capella use to be a good place to work. You were listen to, management was positive and trusted by employees. Capella is no longer what it once was. It is cut throat and negative. Many good people remain but there is simply to many people who are worried about their own political gains that getting the job done.

Cons

i would not recommend any one join the IT organization.

Stop pushing BS and tell the truth. Fire people who need to be fired. Get back to the culture of innovation and community that produce good work and positive revenue of the past.

Consultants/Contractors Treated Well

I worked at Capella University as a contractor

Pros

Really smart people who care a lot. Realistic timelines and expectations. Contractors and consultants are treated as part of the team. Willing to try new things.

Cons

Depending on the department it can get pretty stereotypically "corporate". Sometimes slow to act with lots of people needing to be included.

Keep trusting your leaders. Support them in removing unnecessary roadblocks.

Capella University was a great place to work.

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Capella University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Really cares for the Learners/Students.

Cons

Supervisors tend to micro-manage their team members.

Utterly deplorable

Current Employee - Program Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Program Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Capella University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. Free schooling. The occasional inspiring student (aka "learners").

Cons

These cons are specific to the Advising department. I am sure there are other departments and positions within the university which are absolutely wonderful! We know of no such feeling anymore in Advising.

Two words: call center.

Phone metrics and registration numbers are really the bottom line. Morale is terrible among the sane (who are slowly and surely becoming insane here). Inept management, nearly none of whom come from any actual academic advising experience - mostly the enrollment side. Thus, no genuine idea about the what their team members do. A constant expectation to do more. Flailing sense of concern for genuine advising to take place. The only source of "care" is triggered if registration numbers are not up to par.

Little flexibility. No working from home. The system tracks your status all day: "Away from Desk" (oh, don't you just love having your bathroom breaks measured, down to the second??); "In a Meeting"; On Break" (yeah, right); "Consult"; etc. The numbers are compiled and sent weekly to the whole team. No sense of autonomy, trust, respect.

Workload is more than maxed out for many people. Impossible expectations. Management turns a deaf ear to this point. Caseloads are totally laughable, unreal. No sense of knowing who your students are. Additionally, you will now take calls from any program. This back-up expectation is no longer the exception, it's the norm. Be prepared to have no real sense of what you are talking about when taking your 10 millionth phone call of the day, and be prepared to be held accountable for the call and your skill in taking the call. Despite the fact that it's a program very different from what you really know! But hey, who cares?! Why would students need to speak with someone genuinely knowledgeable about their program?

Speaking of leadership, this consists of some sort of salesy boys club with no clue of the academic responsibilities they somehow preside over. There is no room for dissent, questioning, or accountability from the advisors. What management says goes, otherwise, prepare to be docked on your yearly review for not demonstrating good change management skills and a positive attitude. Despite the fact that the morale and direction of the many non-stop (and ill thought-out) initiatives keep bringing this department completely downhill.

The Capella career page likes to boast that Capella was voted one of the "Best places to Work" for multiple years. Well, that was ages ago, so that seems misleading. Save yourself the trouble, and don't give the benefit of the doubt to Capella. Same ol' corporate mindset that is the Achilles heel of so many companies - squeeze every ounce of productivity and then some from your employees. Don't worry if they burn out because they are DISPOSABLE.

Spend one day doing our job. See if you could last even an hour.

Most of all, stop patronizingly thanking us for our work; telling us of your appreciation. Those are SUCH meaningless and utterly trite words. True gratitude and appreciation would lead to actual action. The best we seem to be able to hope for is for things to stop getting worse.

Oh, and how about we actually see the faces and interacted with upper management every once in a blue moon? I don't think I have ever seen them condescend themselves to actually being in a lowly advisor's presence.

People don't leave bad companies, they leave bad bosses!

Former Employee - Enrollment in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Enrollment in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Capella University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Consistency, great location and from my experience, lots of potential for a fun work environment and you always know what's expected of you even if it's borderline ridiculous.

Cons

Micromanagement, too much sales pressure, unfair promotion metrics, you are pretty much chained to your desk through a system that makes you log whenever you leave your desk. When I was there, you had to be at your desk for 80% of your day Which was enough for lunch and two small breaks.

Regain the old Capella where you felt good about what you're doing. Every team is different so I really want to shy away from generalizations but I had a very poor experience even though I was a top performer.

Academic Advisor

Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Capella University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture and atmosphere are fun, professional, and there is plenty of opportunity for growth and development. Also great people to work with. You can really make an impact in adult education and 1:1 individual coaching conversations. Professional and casual atmosphere.

Cons

Not all departments maintain a good work life balance. I believe in some departments there could be more opportunities for growth.

Invest in the future of your employees leadership and development.

Mediocre pay but good overall culture

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Capella University as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Capella has a decent culture, with a flexible work schedule (depending on job role). Some employees are given the opportunity to work from home either full time or one or more days a week. The employees appear to enjoy their work and have fun.

Cons

Mediocre pay; managers need to improve their overall integrity and communicate in a more courteous, friendly manner; unrealistic workload for some job roles; susceptibility to age discrimination; domination of instructional design area by females. Contractors are not treated very well, particularly regarding workspace. Typically, they sit at tables in noisy, open areas. They deserve to occupy cubicles, just like the full-time employees.

Management needs to treat their reports more like human beings rather than like robots. Furthermore, management needs to do a much better job of onboarding its new instructional designers (and probably other roles as well). Additionally, they need to be in better touch with the considerable challenges that designers face in producing accurate and properly scoped course deliverables. The management team could also benefit from being more sensitive to alleged age discrimination. Finally, management would do well to consider undertaking gender balancing in the instructional design area. Currently, that area is predominately female.

Low-Balled

Current Employee - Financial Aid Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Aid Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Capella University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. Bagel/Doughnut Fridays.
    2. Friendly Co-Workers.
    3. My Supervisors were all excellent, and we met at a minimum every other week. They are in the same cubes we were, which created a easygoing atmosphere most of the time.
    4. Skyway Access and Downtown vibe.
    5. Opportunities to advance start around the 6 month mark.
    6. Free education if you desire it.

Cons

Most people start in Financial Aid...and it sucks. Because students are often angry with you, and there tend to be a lot of system glitches that occur (both internally as well as because you are working with Government aid).

In this position your time is parceled out minute by minute. Because it is a call center environment for this job, you take breaks when it is time to take a break, not when you'd like to/need to.

When I was brought on full-time, after being a temp, I was initially offered a minimal raise, told it was not negotiable, and it was FAR less than what colleagues were making. This left a very bad taste in my mouth, and led me to accept a position elsewhere even after my supervisors stepped in to ensure the final offer was a much better one.

Other departments are hit-or-miss, in terms of their responsiveness, which can be frustrating when you have an angry caller on the line. Some days you spend 5-6 hours just being yelled at by students.

The hours can be tough at times depending on your situation. The 11-8 shift can be a bit depressing during Winter months in MN (but you do get a parking pass!)

It can be frustrating being judged on calls...one call is picked out randomly for review each period, so one bad call can hurt you, but they do train you well.

Make sure HR is on the same page as Supervisors.

A welcoming company with great coworkers and a welcoming corporate culture

Former Employee - Associate Course Producer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Course Producer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Capella University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The pay was good for the entry-level position I held, and it was one of my first jobs to make retirement contributions for even the new hires. Coworkers across the board were very helpful while learning the ropes. employees were encouraged to expand into new areas and develop areas of expertise to act as a resource to the rest of team.

Cons

The academic calendar gave some positions a boom-and-bust oscillation, and reorganizations could make group interrelations very confusing.

Capella University Photos