Capella University Reviews

Reset
3.4
Capella University University President Scott Kinney
Scott Kinney

Pros
  • Work life balance is great here at Capella (in 9 reviews)

• Great location downtown (including gym in same building (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Because it is a call center environment for this job, you take breaks when it is time to take a break, not when you'd like to/need to (in 6 reviews)

• Benefits are limited and opportunities for full time employment are not often available (in 4 reviews)

1. Sales Manager

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Capella University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people! The culture is amazing. Everyone from the top down is passionate about our learners and shaping the future of education to make it more affordable and accessible to the adult learner.

Cons

We are in a highly regulated industry which means we often have many hoops to jump through to get new ideas approved.

2. Current Employee

I have been working at Capella University full-time

Pros

Progressive organization that operates with a high level of integrity and ethics - definitely have freedom of speech to make things better and come up with a better solution if something isn't working. The organization is always looking to better itself!

Cons

The constant change can be tiring at times - definitely an innovative company, but you have to be ready for fast pace and a lot of change. It can be seen as a positive and negative

Advice to Management

Look at ways to celebrate employees throughout the year and recognize wins from the top down - it gets defeating to hear how we are in a competitive market and need more. Hearing you are doing a great job company wide definitely makes a big difference!

3. Developer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Convenient Express Bus to the door. Enjoyable work environment and nice people to work with. Fun and Challenging projects.

Cons

Contracted was not extended, due to funding. I did not have enough proof that I was a skilled javascript developer for the open javascript position.

Frustrating Work Environment

Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Capella University (More than 3 years)

Pros

*Great colleagues. I worked with a lot of wonderful, talented people who I miss dearly! *Company has a generous PTO plan *Bagel Friday *Recently started sending all employees to State Fair for a "company field trip" - though, the down side to this is they don't completely close the university and ask people to volunteer (sometimes "voluntold") to stay back and work. I don't think it would hurt anyone or anything to close for a few hours. *Personal development opportunities like "Power of Purpose" course *Beautiful building in downtown Minneapolis, great location

Cons

*Yearly ethics training is conducted, yet when serious issues come up, HR sweeps them under the rug *Advising has gone downhill since I started working there. It's a very controlled, micro-managed "call center" environment. Metrics are the focus - since most Advisors are not sales people, this was very frustrating. This focus also allows for unproductive employees to find ways to manipulate their metrics to look like they are working when they are not (making calls and hanging up to look like they made outbound calls, having personal conversations on work phone to increase talk time, etc.). *Controlling, insulting "attendance policy" that includes occurrences when running late or for unplanned PTO (the equivalent of demerits) *YOUNG management team - with the exception of a few, most seemed focused on their status and "looking good" so as to allow for advancement within the organization. Quality leaders have good self awareness and are in the business of growing and developing others, most of the leaders in Advising lack this self awareness. Capella - across the board - hires young, inexperienced leaders who don't know themselves well enough to lead others effectively. Young leaders aren't necessarily bad, but there needs to be more focus on if these individuals are ready for this type of position. Poor leadership is an epidemic in this company. *Often felt like we were treated like high school students or young college kids - recently rolled out a very cheesy, demeaning vision statement. Many of the people I worked with have years of experience and advanced degrees, yet were not treated like professional adults (the occurrences and metrics focus contribute to this). Some of this I think comes from the lack of experience with the management team. *Initiatives like "biodome" which is essentially a way to force people to talk themselves into liking their job or at least appearing to. The theories behind it are good, but the implementation comes across controlling and unhealthy.

Advice to Management

Hire more experienced leaders who have a better sense of self. Start to treat staff like adults and like they can be trusted to do their work - when people feel trusted and empowered, they exceed expectations. Stop with the cheesy "Titan" vision statement - we are no longer in high school. It's great to have a vision, but the way this has been handled is insulting.

6. Great place to work

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Capella University full-time

Pros

Relaxed, professional atmosphere combined with the cyclical nature of the university system makes for a very fun, low pressure environment.

Cons

Low pay, below industry standard. Quite a bit of employee churn and brain-drain due to low pay. Complicated, deeply interconnected systems means that one issue can have widespread consequences.

Advice to Management

I have a high level of confidnece in management, despite some voluntary shakeups in my department. All of the management that I interface have only one goal; a smoothly functioning system and happy customers. Politics is the lowest I have seen in a professional environment, and drama is basically nonexistent. I can only speak for my own department, but I really like it here.

Manager

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Capella University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Higher education is a worthwhile industry. Interesting and challenging.

Cons

People were the issue here. People were out for themselves, not for the betterment of the students -- the biggest disappointment was that it was mainly leadership. Also, pay was terrible.

8. School

Current Employee - Master in Rock Hill, SC
    Current Employee - Master in Rock Hill, SC

I have been working at Capella University (Less than a year)

Pros

University advertising is excellent and presented well, very interesting if you are looking for flexibility and trying to finish a degree plan.

Cons

Slow student financial aid office.

Worst company ever - RUN

Pros

It's located downtown. The location is good.

Cons

Capella is the place you go when your career is dying—it’s a career graveyard. The people work there lack ambition, hate their jobs (complain often behind closed doors), and are very set in their ways. This company and culture wins the award for worst place to ever work. People complain often how much they hate their jobs, that it’s just a place they pick up a paycheck, and they bring that negativity into the work environment and it shows through through interactions, in the way they disrespect and bad-mouth others. Egos run very high here, as does insecurity and a lack of self awareness. I’ve been in meetings where people openly disrespected one another and talked down to coworkers in a room full of colleagues. It was sad to see how people are allowed to humiliate people lower on the totem pole, in the full awareness of other employees, and no one stands up because the person is higher up on the food chain or has been with the company a longer time. It’s a highly political culture, so progress and projects move at turtle speed. (Expect that most of your projects and ideas won’t ever see the light of day.) The employees are mostly women in their 40s and 50s. It’s a gossip-charged, catty, passive aggressive workplace. Much of people’s daily energy is wasted battling personal politics rather than getting work done; it’s highly inefficient and the technology is archaic. The computers are all nearly a decade old and freeze often—Capella is super cheap and doesn’t provide modern resources for employees to function most efficiently. Their “employee benefits” are sub par in the industry —also if there’s a required offsite work event, you must pay for your own ticket, meals, and parking even though the organization has millions of dollars to spare. Many people are also incompetent at their jobs, not understanding fundamentals of their fields and covering up their mistakes by blaming others. They keep their jobs because they have strategic allies (make internal political advocates who turn a blind eye or help cover up their mistakes). Lastly, Capella is in the shady business of for-profit online universities. Students who graduate from Capella have complained they can’t find work because their degree is a joke, and they are buried in high debt because the Capella price tag is higher than regular, more reputable universities. There’s a reason why the government is trying to crack down on for-profit universities like Capella. Overall, I would not recommend Capella. There are so many better places to work; don't waste your time and energy here.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as well as you treat yourself. When you throw Christmas parties for your department and tell the rest of company employees there is no company Christmas party for them (the people who worked hard to make you look successful), it is demotivating. Passing out stickers to employees as your cheap attempt to make them feel appreciated is not adequate nor appropriate for adult professionals. Realize your best talent is leaving you. When you operate a mediocre company, you get mediocre workers.

10. Fun, Innovative Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Capella University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture for folks who like change and innovation. Opportunities to influence and advance from many levels of the organization. Culture fosters learning and it's a great place to try new things, learn from mistakes and grow as a professional.

Cons

Some areas of the company have strict schedules to adhere to, especially call centers which can be challenging for a person who prefers to manage their own time and schedule. Rated compensation lower because in my experience people were hired at the same pay rate despite educational background and experience.

Limited growth in I.T.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Capella University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Modern environment. Good set of software tools. Metrotransit discount. Downtown Minneapolis. Tuition benefit.

Cons

Limited growth in I.T. Merit increase % is sad. No bonus. Lack of professional development.

Advice to Management

Treat professional development with more respect. Set goals and objectives that make more sense instead of copy goals from top to bottom (dir, mgr, employee).

RSS Feed </> Embed