Capella University

Capella University Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Capella University University President Scott Kinney

Scott Kinney

Pros
  • Reasonable work life balance, at least by corporate America standards(in 6 reviews)

• Very fast-paced and challenging work that requires you to be detail-oriented and on your game at all times(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Role of advising transitioned from being an advisor to working in call center(in 3 reviews)

• Some Mid Level Supervisors lacked the skills necessary to effectively lead their teams and create success(in 3 reviews)

A welcoming company with great coworkers and a welcoming corporate culture

Associate Course Producer (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe pay was good for the entry-level position I held, and it was one of my first jobs to make retirement contributions for even the new hires. Coworkers across the board were very helpful while learning the ropes. employees were encouraged to expand into new areas and develop areas of expertise to act as a resource to the rest of team.

ConsThe academic calendar gave some positions a boom-and-bust oscillation, and reorganizations could make group interrelations very confusing.

Great experience as full time faculty...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCapella supports and encourages thoughtful interaction. It feels academic without feeling stuck in the mud as other academic institutions I have worked with. I found far more competence and excitement than the opposite. Minneapolis offers a lot for those that can adapt to the winters.

ConsWorking for a for profit may be a turn off to some, but the reality there is no school that is not profit driven. "Not for profit" just amass their wealth in a different way. There is a bureaucracy to things, but this is not unusual in higher ed. I found benefits fair and valuable.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of mu co-workers seem to have at least a tacit approval of the executive team. I did not hear much negative about the leadership.

How things have changed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking downtown. Mature processes/standards.

ConsWhere to begin? This organization used to be exciting, exhilarating, challenging and now is stagnant. The start-up, employee centric culture is gone.

IT has hit an all time low due to poor senior leadership (little experience elsewhere, ego-driven, decisions take a long time, focused on the wrong things).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company but little room to advance.

Account Development Manager (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsCorporate culture is great and the people are generally friendly. Great benefits and diversity.

ConsLack of communication between departments can make you feel like an island.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people at lease two weeks notice before you eliminate their role.

Fast paced, changing environment

ProsThere are many opportunities for change in job responsibilities.

ConsLow pay and okay time-off policies

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease compensation

Good life balance, poor overall employee quality, weak IT org

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you're looking to just kill time and make a little money this is an ideal place to hang out. The pay isn't great, but you can relax because the stress is low, as is the quality of the work.

ConsVery very few managers or directors have any outside experience, so it makes for an overall weak place to get anything done. Senior IT leadership seems to be working for status quo and not make any waves - a play it safe organization. Quality personnel will not last long here.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up management. The best days of online education are passing you by, and unless you make head-way into new markets or new ways to do things you will continue to lose market share and any quality employees that might still be there.

Great upper leadership, opportunities at mid level management

Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat facilities and they provide all necessary tools to do ones job

ConsClique heavy with advancement given based on submissiveness and not talent and value.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer a more competitive salary structure to retain top talent. Keep a watchful eye on lifers, are they threatened by new talent versus embracing a fresh perspective?

Initially challenging, then stifling

Financial Aid Representative (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsLocated downtown Mpls (skyways, farmers market, many restaurants to choose from, etc), embraced the LGBT community, recruits highly talented professionals.

ConsThe company is not about education but about generating income - however, the upper management tries to act (through speeches, uplifting emails) as though dollar growth is not a highly sought after value. Upper management micromanaged all aspects of work life - so much so that needing to go to the bathroom had to be recorded and at times justified. People that were not in leadership teams had little respect and virtually no say in processes, etc. If you did speak up, you were labeled as being not a team player.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange management to those individuals that want to collaborate with employees they manage.

Could be so much better

Instructional Designer (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsSmart, friendly, interesting coworkers. Reasonable work life balance, at least by corporate America standards. Convenient and fun location downtown. Collaborative atmosphere, for the most part, and very little backstabbing.

ConsMy biggest complaint about Capella is what a great place it COULD be, and what great courses we COULD be making. There are wildly creative, intelligent people on the team that could be making courses that are on the leading edge of e-learning. Unfortunately, we're so mired down in badly conceived processes, ridiculous deadlines, and the "bottom line" that truly innovative courses and programs rarely get produced. I see people getting rewarded for mediocre work all the time because they follow the processes well and "get things done," but these aren't the people who are pushing to be innovative and make a difference. Too many decisions are made by people who have a business background and not an education or an e-learning background, and the courses suffer because of this. And frankly, there are some people in mid/upper management who absolutely lack the intelligence to be there.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees. I really, REALLY listen. Look around at the people on your team and let them do what they do best, and Capella's courses and reputation will improve immensely. You will continue to lose talent if you fail to challenge people and let them do their best work.

Working for Capella

Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsA good company to work for

ConsI do not have any cons

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management team is great

Worked for Capella University? Contribute to the Community!