Capella University

Updated September 17, 2014
3.5

Capella University University President Scott Kinney
Scott Kinney

Pros
  • Reasonable work life balance, at least by corporate America standards (in 6 reviews)

• Very fast-paced and challenging work that requires you to be detail-oriented and on your game at all times (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Role of advising transitioned from being an advisor to working in call center (in 3 reviews)

• Some Mid Level Supervisors lacked the skills necessary to effectively lead their teams and create success (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Capella University was a great place to work.

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Capella University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Really cares for the Learners/Students.

Cons

Supervisors tend to micro-manage their team members.

People don't leave bad companies, they leave bad bosses!

Former Employee - Enrollment  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Enrollment in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Capella University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Consistency, great location and from my experience, lots of potential for a fun work environment and you always know what's expected of you even if it's borderline ridiculous.

Cons

Micromanagement, too much sales pressure, unfair promotion metrics, you are pretty much chained to your desk through a system that makes you log whenever you leave your desk. When I was there, you had to be at your desk for 80% of your day Which was enough for lunch and two small breaks.

Regain the old Capella where you felt good about what you're doing. Every team is different so I really want to shy away from generalizations but I had a very poor experience even though I was a top performer.

Mediocre pay but good overall culture

Former Employee - Instructional Designer  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Capella University as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Capella has a decent culture, with a flexible work schedule (depending on job role). Some employees are given the opportunity to work from home either full time or one or more days a week. The employees appear to enjoy their work and have fun.

Cons

Mediocre pay; managers need to improve their overall integrity and communicate in a more courteous, friendly manner; unrealistic workload for some job roles; susceptibility to age discrimination; domination of instructional design area by females. Contractors are not treated very well, particularly regarding workspace. Typically, they sit at tables in noisy, open areas. They deserve to occupy cubicles, just like the full-time employees.

Management needs to treat their reports more like human beings rather than like robots. Furthermore, management needs to do a much better job of onboarding its new instructional designers (and probably other roles as well). Additionally, they need to be in better touch with the considerable challenges that designers face in producing accurate and properly scoped course deliverables. The management team could also benefit from being more sensitive to alleged age discrimination. Finally, management would do well to consider undertaking gender balancing in the instructional design area. Currently, that area is predominately female.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Academic Advisor

Former Employee - Academic Advisor  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Capella University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture and atmosphere are fun, professional, and there is plenty of opportunity for growth and development. Also great people to work with. You can really make an impact in adult education and 1:1 individual coaching conversations. Professional and casual atmosphere.

Cons

Not all departments maintain a good work life balance. I believe in some departments there could be more opportunities for growth.

Invest in the future of your employees leadership and development.

Low-Balled

Current Employee - Financial Aid Representative  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Aid Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Capella University full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Bagel/Doughnut Fridays.
    2. Friendly Co-Workers.
    3. My Supervisors were all excellent, and we met at a minimum every other week. They are in the same cubes we were, which created a easygoing atmosphere most of the time.
    4. Skyway Access and Downtown vibe.
    5. Opportunities to advance start around the 6 month mark.
    6. Free education if you desire it.

Cons

Most people start in Financial Aid...and it sucks. Because students are often angry with you, and there tend to be a lot of system glitches that occur (both internally as well as because you are working with Government aid).

In this position your time is parceled out minute by minute. Because it is a call center environment for this job, you take breaks when it is time to take a break, not when you'd like to/need to.

When I was brought on full-time, after being a temp, I was initially offered a minimal raise, told it was not negotiable, and it was FAR less than what colleagues were making. This left a very bad taste in my mouth, and led me to accept a position elsewhere even after my supervisors stepped in to ensure the final offer was a much better one.

Other departments are hit-or-miss, in terms of their responsiveness, which can be frustrating when you have an angry caller on the line. Some days you spend 5-6 hours just being yelled at by students.

The hours can be tough at times depending on your situation. The 11-8 shift can be a bit depressing during Winter months in MN (but you do get a parking pass!)

It can be frustrating being judged on calls...one call is picked out randomly for review each period, so one bad call can hurt you, but they do train you well.

Make sure HR is on the same page as Supervisors.

A welcoming company with great coworkers and a welcoming corporate culture

Former Employee - Associate Course Producer  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Course Producer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Capella University as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The pay was good for the entry-level position I held, and it was one of my first jobs to make retirement contributions for even the new hires. Coworkers across the board were very helpful while learning the ropes. employees were encouraged to expand into new areas and develop areas of expertise to act as a resource to the rest of team.

Cons

The academic calendar gave some positions a boom-and-bust oscillation, and reorganizations could make group interrelations very confusing.

Great experience as full time faculty...

I worked at Capella University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Capella supports and encourages thoughtful interaction. It feels academic without feeling stuck in the mud as other academic institutions I have worked with. I found far more competence and excitement than the opposite. Minneapolis offers a lot for those that can adapt to the winters.

Cons

Working for a for profit may be a turn off to some, but the reality there is no school that is not profit driven. "Not for profit" just amass their wealth in a different way. There is a bureaucracy to things, but this is not unusual in higher ed. I found benefits fair and valuable.

Most of mu co-workers seem to have at least a tacit approval of the executive team. I did not hear much negative about the leadership.

How things have changed

I worked at Capella University

Pros

Working downtown. Mature processes/standards.

Cons

Where to begin? This organization used to be exciting, exhilarating, challenging and now is stagnant. The start-up, employee centric culture is gone.

IT has hit an all time low due to poor senior leadership (little experience elsewhere, ego-driven, decisions take a long time, focused on the wrong things).

Great company but little room to advance.

Former Employee - Account Development Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Account Development Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Capella University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Corporate culture is great and the people are generally friendly. Great benefits and diversity.

Cons

Lack of communication between departments can make you feel like an island.

Give people at lease two weeks notice before you eliminate their role.

Fast paced, changing environment

I have been working at Capella University full-time

Pros

There are many opportunities for change in job responsibilities.

Cons

Low pay and okay time-off policies

Increase compensation

Worked for Capella University? Contribute to the Community!