Capgemini

Capgemini Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jun 3, 2014

Capgemini CEO and Director Paul Hermelin

Paul Hermelin

Pros
  • Work life balance is not that great but felt better than my previous company experiences(in 219 reviews)

• The work culture is good and flat hierarchy system really makes it a good place to work(in 188 reviews)

Cons
  • Maintaining a healthy work life balance can be a challenge sometimes(in 76 reviews)

• 9 1/2 hrs work is the stupid decision took by senior management(in 57 reviews)

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Capgemini - great place to grow and make a difference

Service Delivery Lead (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsVery open environment with opportunities for those looking to learn, be proactive, drive your career towards your personal goals. A lot of learning and training materials made available openly for employees. Ranging from technical, process, PM, etc. Generous PTO and benefits packages. Very strong thought leaders in areas of process and service management. Offshore delivery centers are top notch.

ConsRequires you to manage your own career and make it happen. You are expected to be a business professional and provide customers top service while also managing your own career. This is as expected, but some may not like this hands-off approach. Organizational communications have traditionally been weak, but in 2014 big push to improve. Could do better at driving innovation in tools used at enterprise level as well as at consultant level (laptop spec).

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership styles vary widely between service lines. Understand who you are reporting to, their approach and how you fit into the larger organization.

If you spend 8 hours doing nothing and 4 hours fighting you are not going to achieve very much except hours

Director (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosa multinational company so you get to meet people of a variety of nationalities

ConsVery very mediocre in technology yet dress themselves up as the bees knees. In IT terms they are idiots but will pull down anybody who shows savvy. At the first sign of difficulty in a project they move into full attack mode with anybody even a tiny bit critical.

Advice to Senior Managementyour guys are very poor losers. Learn some sportsmanship skills. you'll do better in employee engagement.

Wannabe player

Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsConsulting will expose you to a lot of challenges that you may otherwise not find in the tech industry. You will learn new skills - but I think there are better ways to do that outside the company.

ConsI hate to say this but in effect this is a body shop. I worked out of the LA area and was involved in lead roles at several projects. Staffing the projects involved throwing many people from offshore into the project and having a very low manpower onshore. The people onsite were overworked, had no work life balance and any possibility of networking and exploring your options seemed out of reach because you are always dealing with major issues at work. The frustrating part of it was that upper management like the service delivery leaders etc were only available when they had work to be done. Any other requests for meetings etc were given the run around or simply ignored. The prevailing thinking seems to be - be a professional and take care of things. But this is an excuse to not listen to employees who want to make a difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementLong term employees in upper management level need to take a hard look at other companies where employees are happy instead of following their own narrow minded approach.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company if you don't mind traveling.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsVariety and the opportunities to learn new technologies.

ConsTravel and very obscure growth path.

Average place to work

Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsOne of the big consulting companies in IT and have the benefits of a big company; Decent benefits (base salary, bonus, profit sharing) and all big company benefits; Opportunity to work with big clients; As Capgemini manages most of the projects, there's opportunities to play leadership roles on the projects

ConsDoes not have a good performance evaluation process; No clear career progression; People have to navigate through the corporate bureaucrazy to move forward and this results in many ppl getting frustrated and leaving the company; There are learning opportunities but for a consulting company of this size, there should be more

Long...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsBenefits, high profile clients and opportunity for career growth.

ConsWork/Life balance, culture and leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the people more then you say in your slogan and support them through difficult engagements. Align your strategy to the clients business goals not internal sales goals and CM. This will bring more business longer term.

No Value for Employee

Analyst (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsStable Co in terms of job stability and one that can afford to pay a decent salary. Company does offer online courses to further individual education for each Preston's area of expertise.

ConsCompany doesn't value it's employees. Resources are over worked and terribly unrecognized for their effort. Bad Management overall. Business processes are very poor and badly implemented. No follow up on employee' s well being whatsoever . High turn over of Senior Management

Advice to Senior ManagementDo Not choose jobs at this Co LA Location, perhaps it's better at other States.

Capgemini is very disorganized and poorly run.

Analyst (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsCompensation was average with the other big consulting firms.

ConsI spent my first month looking for my manager which wasn't assigned to me until 5 weeks after my hire date. I spent another 2 months on the bench with little information and contact. I got a call out of the blue to become a PMO (Secretary) for a Sr manager. I didn't take technical classes and have 5 yrs of technical experience to become a PMO analyst.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire if you can't win a project

Disappointment through and through - big promises, big disappointments

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros- Big name clients
    - Good pay for starters

Cons- Training for college hires doesn't represent open needs - university recruitment is totally mismanaged
    - No choice in roles/projects - limited number of projects to choose from and the choice is made for you by the resource managers who couldn't care less about your personal career path/ambitions/interests/ or even talents for that matter
    - No social camaraderie - out of about 500 employees in LA area, only a group of 10-20 actively participates in social events (if and when those ever happen)
    - Lacking talent - people's skills are generally below average across the board. Poor communication skills, managers lacking basic people and project management knowledge
    - Too much politics within projects and on corporate level - transparency is almost discouraged; management "initiatives"/promises never live to full fruition
    - Arcane internal technology/tools - own helpdesk is a disaster! So inefficient and frustrating. Slow computers that keep being recycled after over 5 years of use! Time and expense tool is the most ridiculous waste of time
    - No flexibility - long hours at client site, travelling, nightly offshore calls; sick leaves, work from home and flexible schedule request are not rejected, but highly looked down upon

Meets expectations somewhat for a big 5 and am satisfied.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsTraining (if free thru partners or internal).
    Good place to be if self-sufficient and can draw off of own work experience.
    Intranet publishing of shared project content; peer networking for solution assistance.
    Good interpersonal people I have met, who work very hard and are helpful.

ConsToo large to be effective with team communication.
    People manager concept is a good idea, but not getting much benefit or support from direct manager.
    Too many projects for too few resources.
    Extensive travel with no regard for home location or employees preferences for regional work.
    Lack of focus on employees professional goals in certain areas; chase the billable hour only!

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees in the billable arena are an asset which generate revenue, but have needs too. Satisfy both. Focus more on project implementation, instead of body shop placements.

Worked for Capgemini? Contribute to the Community!