Capgemini

Updated Apr 1, 2014

Capgemini CEO and Director Paul Hermelin

Paul Hermelin

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Capgemini - great place to grow and make a difference

Service Delivery Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery open environment with opportunities for those looking to learn, be proactive, drive your career towards your personal goals. A lot of learning and training materials made available openly for employees. Ranging from technical, process, PM, etc. Generous PTO and benefits packages. Very strong thought leaders in areas of process and service management. Offshore delivery centers are top notch.

ConsRequires you to manage your own career and make it happen. You are expected to be a business professional and provide customers top service while also managing your own career. This is as expected, but some may not like this hands-off approach. Organizational communications have traditionally been weak, but in 2014 big push to improve. Could do better at driving innovation in tools used at enterprise level as well as at consultant level (laptop spec).

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership styles vary widely between service lines. Understand who you are reporting to, their approach and how you fit into the larger organization.

Wannabe player

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Capgemini full-time for more than 5 years

ProsConsulting will expose you to a lot of challenges that you may otherwise not find in the tech industry. You will learn new skills - but I think there are better ways to do that outside the company.

ConsI hate to say this but in effect this is a body shop. I worked out of the LA area and was involved in lead roles at several projects. Staffing the projects involved throwing many people from offshore into the project and having a very low manpower onshore. The people onsite were overworked, had no work life balance and any possibility of networking and exploring your options seemed out of reach because you are always dealing with major issues at work. The frustrating part of it was that upper management like the service delivery leaders etc were only available when they had work to be done. Any other requests for meetings etc were given the run around or simply ignored. The prevailing thinking seems to be - be a professional and take care of things. But this is an excuse to not listen to employees who want to make a difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementLong term employees in upper management level need to take a hard look at other companies where employees are happy instead of following their own narrow minded approach.

Experience greatly depends on projects and managers you work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Capgemini full-time

ProsGreat learning experiences, you can assume leadership responsibilities(note - the responsibilities, not the position!) very quickly, big name clients and really interesting projects. Opportunity to meet a lot of different people not just within the company but also in the client companies. If you are open to travel , it is even better

ConsNo work life balance. Highly political(La office) A number of people I worked with in my team were juniors on a visa who had no idea how to deal with people and were very focused not on doing a good job but avoiding responsibilities for mistakes they made. Leadership especially in the Los Angeles area seems content on getting the job done, instead of weeding out poor performers or encouraging good performers. Being promoted comes down to whether you are on good terms with your manager. I have seen a number of people totally mismanage a team, heard them claiming credit for an issue somebody else in the team fixed (in meetings where that person is not invited), managers not giving out all the info required for the team to do a job and then coming in at the last moment with the missing information and looking like a hero in front of the client etc.
If you can play the game in a political environment, then go for it. Most people I know prefer to walk away with their sanity intact, which is what I also did.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know there are certain offices where people love working for Capgemini. Why not find out what makes them tick and implement that in all offices?

Great company if you don't mind traveling.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than a year

ProsVariety and the opportunities to learn new technologies.

ConsTravel and very obscure growth path.

Average place to work

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOne of the big consulting companies in IT and have the benefits of a big company; Decent benefits (base salary, bonus, profit sharing) and all big company benefits; Opportunity to work with big clients; As Capgemini manages most of the projects, there's opportunities to play leadership roles on the projects

ConsDoes not have a good performance evaluation process; No clear career progression; People have to navigate through the corporate bureaucrazy to move forward and this results in many ppl getting frustrated and leaving the company; There are learning opportunities but for a consulting company of this size, there should be more

Very poorly managed organization

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOn occasion you run into really talented people!

ConsMost of the time one is working with untrained jr. associates who are struggling and are not motivated. The organization does not hire for talent. No career progression. A lack of professional project execution methodologies. Poor value to the client. Severe lack of work life balance. Extreme politics. Frequent indiscriminate behaviors on the part of "Sr. Leadership."

Great Experience

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Burbank, CA

I have been working at Capgemini full-time

ProsGreat people. Honest, hard working and supportive

ConsFew cons such as Compensation and lack of people development

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus needed on people development

Long...

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits, high profile clients and opportunity for career growth.

ConsWork/Life balance, culture and leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the people more then you say in your slogan and support them through difficult engagements. Align your strategy to the clients business goals not internal sales goals and CM. This will bring more business longer term.

No Value for Employee

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStable Co in terms of job stability and one that can afford to pay a decent salary. Company does offer online courses to further individual education for each Preston's area of expertise.

ConsCompany doesn't value it's employees. Resources are over worked and terribly unrecognized for their effort. Bad Management overall. Business processes are very poor and badly implemented. No follow up on employee' s well being whatsoever . High turn over of Senior Management

Advice to Senior ManagementDo Not choose jobs at this Co LA Location, perhaps it's better at other States.

Capgemini is very disorganized and poorly run.

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than a year

ProsCompensation was average with the other big consulting firms.

ConsI spent my first month looking for my manager which wasn't assigned to me until 5 weeks after my hire date. I spent another 2 months on the bench with little information and contact. I got a call out of the blue to become a PMO (Secretary) for a Sr manager. I didn't take technical classes and have 5 yrs of technical experience to become a PMO analyst.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire if you can't win a project

Worked for Capgemini? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Capgemini reviews and ratings in Los Angeles, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Capgemini CEO Paul Hermelin. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Capgemini employees.