Capgemini Reviews

Reset
3.4
Capgemini CEO and Director Paul Hermelin
Paul Hermelin

Pros
  • work life balance was good but Indian CEO has ruined it last year (in 268 reviews)

• Flexible work culture in capgemini (in 213 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance depends on Manager (in 92 reviews)

• lt;utter worst senior management> (in 59 reviews)

1. Work at Cap if you Got over 2-3 years experience else forget it!

Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Telford, PA
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Telford, PA

Pros

Nothing really, it looks good on your CV and it's a reputable company. It pays people more who leave and come back therefore I shall leave.. might comeback for double the money!

Cons

Career progression is limited if this is your first job, ratings and feedback are often based on personal perspectives rather than professional. unfair ratings and promotions. It seems each team has a budget and a quota to meet, promotions and payrises are given based on who's in line next! I've been there 2.5 - 3 years got a degree and masters and I get paid peanuts! graduates with less qualifications and no experience get paid more than me!

Advice to Management

concentrate on getting the job done and not on changing team names, seating positions, stop wasting money on moving people around. spending hours brain storming on what name this and that team should be given.

Dont consider

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

One among the big 5

Cons

All the skilled Management folks have left the company. Currently the senior management is filled with just old people who have no management skills at all. Just because they have experience doesnt mean they have the skills to manage people. i worked with them for 8 years and i have seen better days with them. i felt bad when i resigned but it the worst place NOW to work

Advice to Management

Stop recruiting people we have too many on the bench. Also advance people inside the organization do not hire senior management from outside who have no idea about the culture. this hurts the good people inside and thats the reason all the good skills have left

No raises, No bonuses, No thanks!

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

You can get some decent experience, use it as a springboard to get a job at a decent company.

Cons

This company will find ways to screw you left and right. All they are concerned about is that you bill as many hours as possible, then at the end of the year they screw you with no raise and a bonus that's downright laughable. Also, the promotion track is extremely difficult and the toughest I've seen of any company I've been at. Some of the promotion goals are near impossible to reach simply due to being staffed on lousy projects. Be prepared to stay in the same position for a very long time.

Advice to Management

If you're going to be so cheap and stingy with your money, don't expect people to stick around.

Walk away from the hipe.

Former Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO

Pros

A lot of great co-workers to gain knowledge from.

Cons

It is a sweatshop. Employees need 8 more hours added to a 24 hour day and another day added to the 7 day work week to get everything done. Employee capacity is not managed. Some people have too much work while others are walking around "on the beach". I worked at 130% capacity for over 8 months with management's knowledge. When I told management that I was burned out, nothing happened. 1 year later my department was moved to India. We'll see how that works.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees. There are many good employees and you need to appreciate them. Show them you respect them. It is more than just the "values" you put on a website, you have to walk the talk.

No long term future.

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Good place to get experience in IT consulting.

Cons

Capgemini wins consulting work based on price, chiefly by leveraging the outsourcing model. Leadership has made it clear they want more consulting work to be done by Indian colleagues to achieve this goal. The CEO has made it clear, "this is an IT consulting firm, so this isn't the place for you if that's not the kind of work you want to do." There are not many opportunities outside of IT work here, even though there are many non-IT consultants hired.

Advice to Management

You can't increase margins AND outsource more at the same time. If this an IT consulting firm, why are there non-IT groups?

Disjointed organization with utter lack of strategy or vision

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Very few pros, they hire good skilled people.

Cons

Very disjointed organization both in terms of internal operations and in external strategy. The company lacks a defined vision. I get the feeling that the upper management just blows in the wind when it comes to adopting a strategy. Capgemini is rarely an industry thought leader and rarely has anything unique to offer clients.

Advice to Management

As a consulting firm you are in the business of selling people's skills, so my advice is invest in your people, train them, provide relevant feedback, pay competitive salaries, retain people by listening to their concerns and investing in them.

No help for career advancement, little support

Current Employee - Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Herndon, VA

Pros

Good co-workers, decent educational opportunities, and opportunity for advancement. All of the non-managers are willing to help each other out.

Cons

My managers have had no regard for my well-being, and support the client in lieu of managing their employees. There has been no flexibility for work and benefits and pay are poor. Communication has been a disaster as well.

Advice to Management

Managers should listen to employees and respond to their needs. Instead of just serving clients, they need to think long-term.

Worst employer I have ever worked for...

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

Pros

The only pro is you work on a variety of projects and you will develop a broad skillset. If you are looking for developing specific skills Capgemini is not the place. They manage to hire good resources, but they are unable to retain talent, and have a high turnover rate (nearly 25%).

Cons

Bad pay, long work hours, management is only concerned about billing the most number of hours to the client. I was with the company for 4 years, the only reason being my work visa situation prevented me from changing jobs. The management reviews are especially bad, with even my reviewer acknowledging that he had no good reason. My people manager actually encouraged me to change jobs, just before he left for similar reasons. In the four years that I was with the company I had no training approved and budget is usually limited. If you are on a project and unable to make time you are not likely to be approved for training. The hard workers and resources who are valuable rarely get to go on training because they do not get time off projects. The company has poor focus on strategy and has no clear goal on where it wants to be in the competitive consulting space. They tried competing with larger firms such as IBM, Accenture but could not win when compared to the more wholesome offerings of the above 2 companies. They changed track and are now competing with firms such as Infosys, TCS by outsourcing and developing offshore centers, but they lack the know how on managing large offshore teams. There is constant friction between onsite managers and offshore resources, with both entities often working in opposing directions. They lack industry focus and as I mentioned above resources who have worked on long term projects in a certain area are pulled out and put into completely irrelevant sectors. In my four years, I have worked in the utility industry, auto industry, retail and manufacturing. With no clear focus on your expertise you will be jack of all master of none.

Advice to Management

You are in the business of selling human resources ( a consulting firm), take care of what you sell ie your people first. Invest in their growth and career. Develop a market focus, do not be an industry follower, develop your own niche. Change your moto from the collaborative experience to something more tangible and marketable. Clients will not buy jargon such as "Collaborative experience" if your resources have no clue what collaboration means and do not even work together as a company.

10. Poor pay and benefits, limited training and very limited opportunities for career growth

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Reasonable brand name, opportunity to work in different industry areas, potentially good springboard if someone is considering business school or management studies.

Cons

Extremely poor pay, very generic approach to compensation - performance based pay scale very linear, no opportunities for training and development, promotion process fairly ad-hoc, opportunistic management takes advantage of H1-B workers who have filed for immigration, very few people ready to take on mentoring roles

Advice to Management

More generous benefits for employees, improve internal systems and redefine performance metrics and performance evaluation, overhaul business strategy and rate cards to better compete with like players (Accenture, IBM etc). If we maintain status quo, we will be left competing and will probably lose out to cheaper outsourcing companies in the near future

11. Lies, Lies, Lies!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Irving, TX

Pros

Easy to get in Projects are not hard Life / work balance is pretty decent for being a consulting firm

Cons

No career path They hire you to do management consulting but end up doing IT work Very siloed, hard to find work outside your practice / region Hard to find projects to work on. Resources managers are useless Lack of identity

Advice to Management

Be trithful about what you have to offer. Make up your minds... is it Management Consulting? is it IT? is it both? none?

Showing 681 of 3,097 reviews